What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antonio Callaway - WR Dolphins now (2 Viewers)

Zyphros

Footballguy
5'11" 200 lbs

I drafted him in one of my leagues in the 4th round purely because I remembered there were some that really liked his talent and I hated everyone else on my board at that point.  Wasn't a big fan myself pre-combine, pre-draft, or post-draft though.  The landing spot isn't great with Gordon, Landry, Coleman, Duke, Njoku all ahead of him in the pass catching pecking order.  And lastly he was a 4th rounder (although some of that is due to off the field concerns) in what I view as a bad WR class that is mostly purely depth wise for NFL franchises.  

However, there were some people tooting his horn as similar to Anthony Miller who went in the 2nd, he's been mentored by Antonio Brown before camp and apparently he has been looking good so far in training camp with his nose clean.  

No thread that I could find on him so let's get this guy one and discuss. 

Combine profile

Player Profiler Page

Antonio Callaway tore up DB's in 1 on 1 drills

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Florida WR Antonio Callaway failed his drug test at the NFL Scouting Combine; testing positive for marijuana with a "diluted sample."

Callaway's told reporters that the sample was diluted because he was "over-hydrated" and that he would address the issue with teams. A failed drug test is a big deal with any prospect; a failed drug test for a player who had as many off-field issues as Callaway did at Florida is a major red-flag. He was likely to go on Day 3 before, but it's real, real tough to see a team investing a third-round pick or higher on him now after this news. Apr 24 - 8:54 PM

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Florida WR Antonio Callaway said Steelers WR Antonio Brown has "taken him under his wing."

Callaway said Brown's message to him was "there's too much opportunity there for me to be messing up and I gotta change now that I'm a father. It ain't too much about athletics, just really about life and how you have to make good decisions." Along the same theme, Callaway also mentioned that the birth of his daughter "changed his point of view on life." Unfortunately for him, failing the drug test at the NFL Scouting Combine will be a huge problem for most teams when considering a player who already had plenty of off-field concerns. It's good news that one of the leagues best receivers in Brown is helping him, but Callaway will likely be a late Day 3 selection at this point. Apr 25 - 7:47 PM

Source: NFL.com

NFL Draft Scout's Rob Rang lists Florida WR Antonio Callaway as a potential "diamond in the rough" in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Callaway's issues have been well-documented, and with good reason. Nevertheless, when he's been on the field, the talent has been electric despite playing with horrific quarterback play during his time with the Gators. "Gallaway’s character needs plenty of investigating after three incident-filled years in Gainesville, but it won’t take scouts long to acknowledge his rare athleticism," writes Rang. "Scouts, in fact, could see shades of another former Diamond in the Rough — Chiefs’ Pro Bowler Tyreek Hill — as both possess the elusiveness and acceleration to offer big-play potential as a receiver, runner and returner."

Source: NFL Draft Scout 

Apr 3 - 10:14 PM

Antonio Callaway - WR -  Gators

NFL media analyst Daniel Jeremiah tweeted that in studying Florida WR Antonio Callaway, he reminded him of former Gator Percy Harvin.

Callaway oozed talent in his time at Florida, but his off-the-field issues are rampant, as he's been cited for marijuana possession on multiple occassions and also was kicked off the team due to his role in a credit card fraud case. Still, his ability as a receiver and punt-returner is readily apparent, even while playing with some of the worst quarterbacks in the conference. Someone might take a chance on him, but you have to wonder if the risk is worth the reward.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter    Feb 18 - 2:49 PM

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller argues that Florida junior WR Antonio Callaway shouldn't be perceived as draftable right now.

Miller once ranked Callaway as potentially the top receiver in the 2018 class, but no longer. Callaway has yet to play this season because of a suspension due to felony charges. His past includes a sexual assault allegation and a suspension due to marijuana use. "On the field, the 5'11", 190-pound Callaway looked like a college version of Antonio Brown," Miller wrote. "The University of Florida might be patient with Callaway, who has been in trouble three times in three seasons, but the NFL will not be willing to overlook criminal charges and a history of off-field issues."

Source: Bleacher Report 

Tue, Oct 24, 2017 03:20:00 PM

A few months ago when Calloway was drafted the starting WRs looked locked in and then Calloway suffered a hip flexor and missed mini camp but things have changed.

Josh Gordon apparently will miss training camp and part of the season opening a starting job.

Corey Coleman and Rashard Higgins have disappointed and even though Coleman has been promoted due to the absence of Gordon he is begging for competition.

offensive coordinator Todd Haley, who even pointedly called it a "make-or-break" year for Coleman 

Coleman figures to be given the first chance, but the former first-round pick spent an offseason on the shakiest of ground with his team. Since Coleman was drafted, he has been plagued by injury and drops, 
Then Ricardo Lewis had neck surgery and is out for the year.

Browns WR Ricardo Louis out for ’18, rookie Antonio Callaway ready for camp

--------------------------------------------

If Calloway had no off field problems heading into the draft, Dorsey thought he would have been the 1st or 2nd WR selected. 

Antonio Brown reached out to him on twitter and has taken him under his wing.  He mentors him and worked out with him.  Calloway recently become a father and that seems to have had a positive effect.  Baker Mayfield has noticed him.Antonio Callaway, with help from Antonio Brown, vows not to let the Browns down 

Without the long rap sheet, Dorsey believes Callaway (5-10, 200) would've been the first or second receiver drafted. 

...Steelers receiver Antonio Brown, who has a heart for the hurting, reached out to fellow Miamian Callaway on Twitter and offered to take him under his wing.

...Given his talent and speed, Callaway can give Corey Coleman a run for his money.  

"He is very, very fast - a fast man," Baker Mayfield said of Callaway. "He makes good plays on the ball. When you have a guy like that and you get chemistry down, then it's very dangerous. You can do a lot with that. He's a guy that I think can help us out."
I think the only thing standing in his way for a starting job is Corey Coleman so it seems like a matter of time.

I think the only thing standing in his way for a starting job is Corey Coleman so it seems like a matter of time.

Except perhaps himself.  The kid is talented, but was his prior bad behavior due to boredom in biding his time in college until he could go pro, or is he a pathological bad actor?

From some quick research, there were 3 issues, at least that I could find:

1.  Marijuana possession, I feel like most people don't make a big deal out of this except for the actual NFL and their 20 year old policies so I'm chalking this one up to a little immaturity (although he didn't try to decline that it was his and he took ownership of it).

2.  Sexual assault accusation.  Very serious and his excuse was "I was too high to even have sex, so it wasn't possible".  Not a good look, but he was dismissed and cleared of those charges.

3.  Charges on his student ID and tried to re-sell those items when he didn't have money on his ID in the first place.  Couldn't find many details on this one, but it sounds like he was trying to game the system a bit to make some cash which again seems immature and like a stupid (or smart?) choice.  I would say that big companies do stuff like that all the time to make a buck, but as a student athlete he needed to be smarter.

Like others have pointed out he's a father now, seems to have matured and knows he wants to bring value to the Browns.  Seems to have re-focused his attitude and has grown up a bit so I'm expecting him to have a impact sooner, rather than later.  Especially if Corey Coleman is going to be traded somewhere like the rumors want us to believe.  

Excited to see this kid in action. Camp reviews seem positive. He’s got some serious wheels. The Percy Harvin comp seems pretty good to me.

By all accounts his character has improved and without Coleman there I’m excited to see what he can do.

This is a guy you worry about in January when the season is over. I've had a lot of these guys and you cringe the minute there is a headline between January and May. Got 4 now including him this year.

David Boston being 1 of the previous idiots.
Martavis Bryant
Leveon Bell
Joe Mixon

The risk associated with him, I'm fine with, simply because he was cheap. 

In an IDP league, I got him with a 4th. 

You didn't have to pay a lot for him, like you do with a Mixon or Bell. 

Coleman getting traded is great, for both WRs.

This is a guy you worry about in January when the season is over. I've had a lot of these guys and you cringe the minute there is a headline between January and May. Got 4 now including him this year.

David Boston being 1 of the previous idiots.
Martavis Bryant
Leveon Bell
Joe Mixon

Just because of the worry in the off-season?  

Like I said all reports seem to be rather good about his character so far in preparation for the season.  Obviously we don’t know first hand but when he’s busy he seems to be ok (at least for now). 

Like you said, when he isn’t as busy with football will be the question of if he can stay clean or not.  But he hasn’t had a “ding” in the NFL yet so it’s not like his first trouble will be dramatic unless it’s something really bad.

Daryl Ruiter✔@RuiterWrongFAN

WR Antonio Callaway said he expects to slide up into a starting role following the Corey Coleman trade; hardest challenge for him so far has been learning Todd Haley’s playbook #Browns

11:17 AM - Aug 6, 2018 

Just because of the worry in the off-season?  

Like I said all reports seem to be rather good about his character so far in preparation for the season.  Obviously we don’t know first hand but when he’s busy he seems to be ok (at least for now). 

Like you said, when he isn’t as busy with football will be the question of if he can stay clean or not.  But he hasn’t had a “ding” in the NFL yet so it’s not like his first trouble will be dramatic unless it’s something really bad.
He's been in the NFL for a few weeks. He doesn't get points for being good since May.  

He had multiple problems in college. His first ding in the NFL will be more problematic, to me, then to someone without his past.

JMO

Rookie Antonio Callaway is expected to compete with Rashard Higgins for the Browns' No. 3 receiver job following the Corey Coleman trade.

Higgins is purely a slot receiver, which is Jarvis Landry's primary position. The winner of this battle could become a deep sleeper for fantasy value if Josh Gordon never reports. Callaway didn't play football in 2017 for myriad off-field reasons, but he looked like a young Santonio Holmes on early-career game tape at Florida. His stock has particularly elevated in Dynasty leagues.

Related: Rashard Higgins

Aug 6 - 4:47 PM

got him in the 5th round in my idp.  

Coleman trade obviously adds some intrigue, but he’s still got a long way to go.  

Antonio hasn't played in over a year. 

We'll get to see his debut in Thursday's preseason game.

FAITH IN UNPROVEN ROOKIE

FAITH IN UNPROVEN ROOKIE

By trading away Coleman, the Browns have shown faith in rookie receiver Antonio Callaway’s skill set, despite his missing the 2017 season for disciplinary reasons at the University of Florida.

In just two seasons with the Gators, the 5-foot-10, 193-pound Callaway caught 89 passes for 1,399 yards and seven touchdowns. Additionally, Callaway was a playmaker in the return game, as he ran back 56 punts for 653 yards and two touchdowns, as well as six kickoffs for 176 yards and one touchdown.

Callaway was the first player in Florida history to score a touchdown five different ways, as he caught seven, returned two punts and one kickoff for scores, threw for one on his only career pass attempt and rushed a carry across the goal line during the 2016 season.

“He has talent,” Jackson said. “I think we all know that, but I think he’s starting to really get the system, learning how to do things the way we want them done.

“Again, I was back there when he was returning punts, and he said, ‘Coach, I haven’t played in a year,’ so he’s really looking forward to Thursday night. I’m glad he senses it because I do too. I want to make sure he goes out there on Thursday and plays the way we think he can play.”

Oh completely agree - 100%.

As for impact to his chances this year, I assume this is strike two after the combine?  Does the NFL's Kangaroo Court suspension system slap him with a couple games now?

Nothing to see here. :D

Framed.

Going for a 3:00 am Sunday drive, failing to yield to oncoming traffic while turning onto Howe Road. BULL ####. Targeted.

Ok. :bag:  This guy is a moron.

Nothing to see here. :D

Framed.

Going for a 3:00 am Sunday drive, failing to yield to oncoming traffic while turning onto Howe Road. BULL ####. Targeted.

Ok. :bag:  This guy is a moron.
Way to sink to the level of those whom you're trying to mock.

Of course, but this just proves that he's truly an idiot. I had to stop smoking weed for my livelihood half a year ago and I didn't stand to make the kind of money he could if he played up to his ability. 
Oh, he proved he was an idiot long before Sunday night.  Some people are just dumb enough to think that will change.

The browns will eventually learn that you can only sustain so many knucklehead projects on your roster at a given time.

Gordon, manziel, crowell, callaway, sellers, chapman etc

surprisingly in the last 5 years, cle is in the middle as far as arrests by team

http://nflarrest.com/team/CLE/

Do the Browns HAVE to make an example of him perhaps by releasing him?

As much as most seem to be rooting for Gordon to overcome his issues, CLE has been held prisoner to a certain extent by his up and downs.  

Callaway?  Talented for sure, but if you keep him, isn’t that reinforcing same old same old?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the Browns HAVE to make an example of him perhaps by releasing him?

As much as most seem to be rooting for Gordon to overcome his issues, CLE has been held prisoner to a certain extent by his up and downs.  

Callaway?  Talented for sure, but if you keep him, isn’t that reinforcing same old same old?
If he has a positive test, then I couldn't fault them for cutting him.  

Does the league have a policy for when a guy is caught with "a small amount of marijuana" but does not test positive?  I would imagine the league would be testing him as soon as they found out about this.

I hope you dynasty league players were smart enough not to wast anything more than a late 3rd or 4th rd rookie pick for this guy.  

If he has a positive test, then I couldn't fault them for cutting him.  

Does the league have a policy for when a guy is caught with "a small amount of marijuana" but does not test positive?  I would imagine the league would be testing him as soon as they found out about this.
He was in Stage 1 of the leagues protocol.  So I’m assuming some degree of testing is done (don’t know for sure).  But this reaches deeper IMO.  The Browns, a team that really couldn’t afford to go out on a limb for a ‘character risk’ player like Callaway, does indeed select him.

And then before he ever has played even a preseason game, gets cited.  Like, the guy had to be Ned Flanders like straight and narrow.  And TC is two weeks old and he gets popped?

He was in Stage 1 of the leagues protocol.  So I’m assuming some degree of testing is done (don’t know for sure).  But this reaches deeper IMO.  The Browns, a team that really couldn’t afford to go out on a limb for a ‘character risk’ player like Callaway, does indeed select him.

And then before he ever has played even a preseason game, gets cited.  Like, the guy had to be Ned Flanders like straight and narrow.  And TC is two weeks old and he gets popped?
Coleman planted it before he left  :ph34r:

Users who are viewing this thread