What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antonio Callaway - WR Dolphins now (1 Viewer)

Browns coach Freddie Kitchens suggested Antonio Callaway may be on a snap count in Week 5 against the 49ers.

"There’s a difference between endurance and in shape," Kitchens said. "He’s in good shape, but endurance is being able to play after play. You need endurance more than anything in the game of football." Callaway is fully over his preseason high-ankle sprain, but his snaps may be limited coming off an extended layoff. Even if he doesn't see a full complement of snaps, Callaway's presence should open things up for Baker Mayfield and Cleveland's pass offense.

SOURCE: Akron Beacon-Journal

Oct 5, 2019, 9:30 AM ET

Browns activated WR Antonio Callaway Monday.

Callaway is fully expected to suit up Monday night against the 49ers following his four-game suspension. He could start in 3-WR sets with Rashard Higgins (knee) expected to be inactive, although coach Freddie Kitchens suggested Callaway could be on a snap count. Look for Damion Ratley to split snaps to some extent with the Browns' talented second-year WR at least for this week.

SOURCE: Browns on Twitter.

Oct 7, 2019, 4:06 PM ET

Antonio Callaway failed to catch either of his two targets in the Browns' Week 5 loss to the 49ers.

He was making his season debut after serving a four-game suspension. Callaway was the No. 3 receiver but had a night full of mistakes. He lined up in the wrong spot on one play, ran the wrong direction on a misdirection on another, and committed a horrid drop at the goal line on what should have been a touchdown but instead bounced into the air for an interception. Callaway can't get out of his own way and isn't a fantasy option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I said this last year......he will be out of the league shortly. 

Head case, joker and toker. Physical talent yes.....2 cent head though.

I said this last year......he will be out of the league shortly. 

Head case, joker and toker. Physical talent yes.....2 cent head though.
That bobble at the goal line which was intercepted was brutal.   If that doesn't get him in the doghouse nothing will

Coach Freddie Kitchens said he's "definitely" sticking with Antonio Callaway as the Browns' No. 3 receiver this week against the Seahawks.

Callaway had another miserable game against the Niners this past Monday night as he was making his season debut following a four-game suspension. Callaway was the intended target on both of Baker Mayfield's interceptions, committing a drop on one at the goal line that ended up in the hands of a defender. Callaway has tantalizing traits but can't get out of his own way. The Browns need Rashard Higgins (knee) back in the worst way.

SOURCE: Browns Zone

Oct 9, 2019, 10:08 AM ET

Solidly planted at the #6 WR spot on my team. I just don't think he has what it takes mentally to be as good as he could be. Seems to be lackluster in route running and at this level, you have to sell that.

Solidly planted at the #6 WR spot on my team. I just don't think he has what it takes mentally to be as good as he could be. Seems to be lackluster in route running and at this level, you have to sell that.
He doesn't even know where to line up, let alone run routes - then actually make a play on the ball when it comes your way.

The numbers game may not allow it, but I think healthy scratch's after Njoku and Higgins are back are more likely than the lightbulb suddenly turning on. 

Please don't bring this clown back next year.

The numbers game may not allow it, but I think healthy scratch's after Njoku and Higgins are back are more likely than the lightbulb suddenly turning on. 

Please don't bring this clown back next year.
Higgins was a full participant in practice before the Monday Night game and Jim Donovan said he spoke with Higgins prior to the game and Rashard expected to be activated so he was a healthy scratch.  Higgins is listed as a full participant for today's practice so their should be absolutely no reason to hold him out unless its a coaching decision which sends the wrong message IMHO since Hollywood was at all of the OTAs and mini camps etc unlike OBJ and he didn't turn up out of shape and facing a drug suspension like Calloway.  Higgins has caught everything thrown to him, he has done the work and hasn't gotten into trouble so reward him GDmnit and let him play.

That bobble at the goal line which was intercepted was brutal.   If that doesn't get him in the doghouse nothing will
FWIW, the ball could have been placed better with less velocity.  IMO, a veteran QB would have made it easy.

FWIW, the ball could have been placed better with less velocity.  IMO, a veteran QB would have made it easy.
the throw could’ve been better for sure. 

IMO, a NFL caliber WR could’ve made the catch anyway, or not popped it straight to the defender, easy.  

It wasn't a good throw, but quarterbacks are coached to throw low around the goal line specifically to avoid exactly what happened on that play. 

NOTESNotes: Freddie Kitchens says he’ll “definitely” stick with WR Antonio Callaway against Seattle after awful season debut against 49ers

Coach Freddie Kitchens plans to stick with him Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks.

“I definitely will,” he said Tuesday on a conference call.

Callaway, a fourth-round pick in 2018, was suspended for the first four games for violating the league’s drug policy and returned to practice Thursday. He had also missed the final three weeks of the preseason with a high ankle sprain.

Yet Kitchens rushed him back as the No. 3 receiver against the 49ers, playing him 21 snaps in the first half. Callaway was penalized for a false start and had zero catches in three targets, with two turning into Baker Mayfield interceptions. The critical one came on the goal line when Callaway turned a touchdown into a turnover by bobbling the pass into the air, where 49ers nickelback K’Waun Williams grabbed it.

...Callaway, who was benched for the second half and replaced by Damion Ratley, had trouble lining up correctly and blamed it on switching from his normal X spot to the Z last week during practice.

“I had to learn a whole new position,” he said. “It was a little tough. I’m still a professional, so I’ve got to know.”

Kitchens downplayed the change.

“We move our receivers around a good bit,” he said. “I would say the same thing I said last night, I felt like Antonio was ready to play so we played him. He is one of our better players so when our players are healthy and they are eligible to play, they are going to play.

“In doing that, we move our receivers around. We have always moved our receivers around. Antonio will be better moving forward.”

Kitchens blamed himself for not putting Callaway in the best spot to succeed.

“I probably put him in a bad situation,” he said after the game. “I thought he was ready to go, but I put him in a bad situation.”

I think they rushed Calloway back for the Monday night game.  You could tell he wasn't ready to practice.  With that said, he is hurting his own stock.  Knowing when/where to line up, when to move, what route to run, these are things he should know how to do already.  The fact that he looked lost on Monday shows he didn't spend his "time-off" studying the playbook and getting ready to play on his own.  A lot of talent but no brain.

Does he? What does he do well other than run fast? There's 100s of fast guys who never do anything.
He did not play WR his last year in college and was forced into action last year when the Browns were decimated with injuries and so desperate they signed Breshard Perriman off the street and made him their starting X.  

He was/is still learning to be a WR.

He got drafted purely on talent.  Size, speed, athleticism, not on his brains.

He did not play WR his last year in college and was forced into action last year when the Browns were decimated with injuries and so desperate they signed Breshard Perriman off the street and made him their starting X.  

He was/is still learning to be a WR.

He got drafted purely on talent.  Size, speed, athleticism, not on his brains.
Callaway isn't learning anything. He didn't play WR his last year in college because he's a mental midget. He fell to day 3 of the draft because he's a mental midget. Despite a thin depth chart his role was reduced last year for a guy the Browns picked up off the street because he's a mental midget. He was suspended then unprepared for MNF because he's a...etc..

Dorsey bares the blame for this predictable failure, but Callaway's problem is himself. Anything can happen, but there's zero reason to expect him to get right. The sooner the losses are cut the better.

He's not going anywhere.
Possible, and an indictment on Dorsey if it comes to fruition. Spending day 3 picks on morons isn't an issue so long as you flush them away when they prove they are going to continue to be problems. Was this moron worth the resources at the time? I didn't think so, but I got the argument. Zero tolerance though. And that hasn't been the case.

On the Sherman pick, Calloway was the intended receiver and just stood there watching after the pick instead of trying to tackle (actually all he needed to do was tap Sherman while he was down) him. That would piss me off as a coach. Sherman gets up and gains about 15 yards on the return. Calloway just looked like he wasn’t ready to play. 

Possible, and an indictment on Dorsey if it comes to fruition. Spending day 3 picks on morons isn't an issue so long as you flush them away when they prove they are going to continue to be problems. Was this moron worth the resources at the time? I didn't think so, but I got the argument. Zero tolerance though. And that hasn't been the case.
Moral high ground?  Justin Houston, Warren Sapp, Joe Mixon, Randy Moss, Dan Marino.  

How about Baker Mayfield?  Would you throw him out as well?  

He showed up out of shape and facing a drug suspension, he IS an idiot but the book isn't written and certainly not the last page on what he can do in the NFL.

he was a healthy scratch
Rashard Higgins might be a healthy scratch again today.

----------------------------------------------

Mary Kay Cabot‏Verified account @MaryKayCabot

#Browns Freddie Kitchens said he's not sure if Rashard Higgins (knee) will play vs. #Seahawks, but he's healthy enough to play

9:43 AM - 11 Oct 2019

---------------------------------------------

This is a clear message, the coaches prefer the 'potential' Callaway brings. 

Lets see if the kid makes plays or botches the opportunity.

Rashard Higgins might be a healthy scratch again today.

----------------------------------------------

Mary Kay Cabot‏Verified account @MaryKayCabot

#Browns Freddie Kitchens said he's not sure if Rashard Higgins (knee) will play vs. #Seahawks, but he's healthy enough to play

9:43 AM - 11 Oct 2019

---------------------------------------------

This is a clear message, the coaches prefer the 'potential' Callaway brings. 

Lets see if the kid makes plays or botches the opportunity.
i don’t get this.  Higgins seems to catch almost everything and Mayfield has a good rapport with him.  

Callaway runs fast.  

Todd Monken on Antonio Callaway’s drop: ‘It’s catastrophic; it completely changed the game’

...Monken pulled no punches about the offensive woes, beginning with Antonio Callaway’s backbreaking drop on the goal line in Monday night’s 30-13 loss to the 49ers.

“It’s catastrophic,’’ Monken said. “It completely changed the game. As average as we played up to that point, it’s changed. From then it was not fun, but at that point we were OK.’’

Monken mostly absolved Baker Mayfield from blame on the play, even though the QB said the throw should’ve been a little more in front of Callaway, who was rusty coming off his four-game suspension.

“It was a pretty quick throw, but I didn’t see [Mayfield being skittish]," Monken said. “He was pretty decisive in where he was going with the ball. He saw it clean, threw it, we didn’t execute the play for God sakes.’’
No punches pulled.  Game changing catastrophic drop that lead to interception, absolves the QB and puts the blame on Callaway's 'rustiness' 

Kitchens is awful. The sooner Callaway can get out of there the better. He's also stripped OBJ of his talent 

Kitchens is awful. The sooner Callaway can get out of there the better. He's also stripped OBJ of his talent 
Which is worse, benching him outright or making him play 100% of the snaps in a preseason game as "punishment"?

From where I sit, it doesn't look like anyone is getting through to him and he will be following the Josh Gordon path of suspensions unless something changes.

time to rename the thread

Browns waived WR Antonio Callaway.

This was probably always how it was going to end for Callaway in Cleveland, or any NFL city for that matter. Physically a first-round talent, Callaway fell to the fourth round in 2018 because of a litany of off-the-field concerns. He then proceeded to earn a four-game substance-abuse ban to begin 2019. When he was on the field, Callaway flashed serious big-play ability but committed more mistakes. A recent final straw was Callaway showing up late to a meeting last week, which earned him a Week 10 healthy scratch. Still only 22, Callaway will probably get a second NFL chance, but his NFL future is dim. His off-the-field issues coupled with his gaffe-prone play will have him on the edge of whatever 53-man roster he ends up on.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Browns were "bracing" for another substance-abuse suspension with recently-waived WR Antonio Callaway.

Callaway's ban would be 10 games after he sat out four to begin the season. Fowler also reports that Callaway was once again late for a team function this week. Those off-the-field headaches combined with Callaway's frustrating Sunday play basically had him begging for his release. The light has not come on for 22-year-old Callaway, who could have been a first-round talent in last year's NFL draft.

Which is worse, benching him outright or making him play 100% of the snaps in a preseason game as "punishment"?

From where I sit, it doesn't look like anyone is getting through to him and he will be following the Josh Gordon path of suspensions unless something changes.
Well you sure nailed that one. 

He will be the next Browns WR to be released at some point. Another trouble maker who won’t be mature nor professional enough to last in the league.

Matter of time.
As I was saying. LOL. So predictable. 

Sad.

amnesiac said:
watch New England pick him up. 

they seem to enjoy Cleveland’s table scrap WRs lately.  
Nope. This kid is done. Total head case and waste of physical talent. Was the same punk in Florida. 

Yet they keep giving chances to guys who run fast and can catch while there are guys busting their tail with good talent being passed over. 

When will NFL GM’s learn. Oh wait....not like they are that intelligent either. It’s a joke at this point IMO how obvious trouble makers keep getting chances. The league is full of garbage players who are classless. Embarrassing already.

You blame the coach on Callaway? That is joke in of itself. LMAO!!!!!

Callaway destroyed himself because he is a drug using punk. He deserves to be out of the league.

Users who are viewing this thread