What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antonio Callaway - WR Dolphins now (1 Viewer)

Great job by Hue here.   Play him every snap in week 2, now he's got a groin and missing practice time.  It's hard to make up new ways to #### things up this badly, but Hue continues to pull it off.

Antonio Callaway - WR -  Browns

Antonio Callaway failed to reel in his lone target Thursday in the Browns’ preseason finale against the Lions.

Baker Mayfield targeted him downfield during the first quarter but the two couldn’t connect. The good news is that Callaway appears to be healthy after missing the previous game with a minor groin injury. The fourth-round rookie showed flashes this summer, particularly when he nabbed three catches for 87 yards and a touchdown in the Browns’ preseason opener. The former Florida Gator enters the years as Cleveland's No. 3 receiver behind Josh Gordon and slot man Jarvis Landry.

Aug 30 - 10:20 PM

Disappointing opener for sure

Not just for Callaway but all the skill position guys.  This offense isn't fantasy relevant until Baker starts.  
Don't bail on them yet. The weather sucked. Let's see how they look in a dome this weekend. I expect the offense to be markedly better than last week. Are they going to turn into the greatest show on turf? No but they should be better. If they are not THEN I'd bail on them because the Saint's D isn't exactly world beaters right now.

Antonio Callaway is expected to have a larger role with the Browns moving on from Josh Gordon.

The Browns planned to start Callaway Week 1 with Gordon missing most of training camp, but he ended up playing 16 percent of snaps, behind both Gordon and Rashard Higgins. It's possible his Opening Day role was seniority based, and with Gordon gone, he's clearly to wideout to own behind Jarvis Landry. The Browns don't have much of a pass offense under Tyrod Taylor, but Callaway's ROS outlook is pointing up.

Sep 15 - 8:39 PM

Callaway played on 17% of the snaps to Higgins' 61% last week. However, Higgins lined up in the slot on 88% of his snaps. I think Callaway is more likely to step into Gordon's role. But much like when Gordon occupied it, I don't think that role is going to particularly valuable from a fantasy perspective this year. There are still too many mouths to feed and Tyrod still lowers the overall ceiling of the passing offense.

I just can't wait to watch CLE get out to a lead only to turtle up and run the ball on 100% of their plays and lose. It won't happen this week, but soon. 

Callaway played on 17% of the snaps to Higgins' 61% last week. However, Higgins lined up in the slot on 88% of his snaps. I think Callaway is more likely to step into Gordon's role. But much like when Gordon occupied it, I don't think that role is going to particularly valuable from a fantasy perspective this year. There are still too many mouths to feed and Tyrod still lowers the overall ceiling of the passing offense.

I just can't wait to watch CLE get out to a lead only to turtle up and run the ball on 100% of their plays and lose. It won't happen this week, but soon. 
Too early to call, you may be right. I picked up Callaway today right after the news with Gordon. I think Mayfield is going to get his shot in next 2-3 games and if/when he does, and Callaway is clear #2 he could have a shot to put up some big numbers. He has the talent, just needs to opportunity and the QB.

Definitely a speculative add but I don't want to wait and see Callaway go for 100 yards and see Mayfield become the starter and not be able to pick him up because I am beat to the punch. Obviously if you have WR depth the add might not make sense but if you have Baldwin like I do.....I am turning over stones right now.

He will be the next Browns WR to be released at some point. Another trouble maker who won’t be mature nor professional enough to last in the league.

Matter of time.

I just love that the guy I am playing in my main league dropped Callaway just before the news came out for Pettis. Callaway should be a nice wr3 with wr2 upside.

He will be the next Browns WR to be released at some point. Another trouble maker who won’t be mature nor professional enough to last in the league.

Matter of time.
I don't think that's fair to say. Give the guy a chance. No matter what, I'm always pulling for these guys, and believe I understand that someone of them are knuckleheads.

I don’t think Callaway is necessarily a better add than Higgins, at least in the shorter term. I know he has had hype because he’s seen as a “would’ve been a first rounder except for off field issues” talent, but he’ll probably take a bit of time to develop. Higgins isn’t a scrub and I like him as a sneaky add if you can’t get your hands on Callaway. Both should be rosters to see what happens - Baker coming in at some point would give a major boost to this passing game value too.

Jamey Eisenberg, from Cbs just posted an article, he claims Callaway is the more talented over Higgins, and should be picked up. I seen this kid play and was impressed, he has serious talent, I like his upside and this could be a diamond in the ruff, i just picked him up and I’m excited about it, but it’s still Cleveland and Taylor probably isn’t the best QB there.

I see this playing out similar to Kenny golladay. Not much other than flashes here and there, but not enough value to be a keeper of any kind (other than dynasty). Next year is probably the year to own
Golladay was injured and blocked by two pretty decent wrs in tate n jones....i dont see much keeping callaway off the field now other than his own behavior

Keep in mind Higgins plays a lot of time in the slot also. I think we see somewhat of a 60-40 Higgins taking 60 as a possession guy. Callaway is primed to take that job fast... if he can stay on the field.

doeseatplace said:
No doubt Callaway is more talented than Higgins  There should be some doubt that he’ll be playing in the NFL when fantasy playoffs start

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/antonio-callaway-florida-gators-fraud
That's more than a year old, everyone already knows he's an idiot, the issue is how quickly/if ever he grows up and starts making better decisions.  None of that stuff from the past is going to get in his way, it's his future stuff that's a threat.

beerbuff said:
I just love that the guy I am playing in my main league dropped Callaway just before the news came out for Pettis. Callaway should be a nice wr3 with wr2 upside.

i'd rather have pettis.

Antonio Callaway caught 3-of-4 targets for 81 yards and a touchdown in Sunday's Week 2 loss to the Saints.

Starting for Josh Gordon, Callaway failed to draw a target in the first half Sunday, but made his presence felt in the second half when he had catches of 18, 47 and 16 yards. The highlight of his day was reeling in a 47-yard vertical shot on 4th down to tie the game late in the 4th quarter. Callaway will provide uneven production moving forward as a secondary option in the Cleveland passing game, but his season is trending upwards with the Browns moving on from Josh Gordon and should be looked at in deeper leagues. The Browns will host the Jets on Thursday Night in Week 3.
Boom-bust WR3 until he can secure his snap  count %, but the tools were on display. He could overtake Higgins soon.

Wednesday the news was Gordon was ready for liftoff... just Not the kind I thought 

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap

Antonio Callaway played 50-of-62 (81 percent) snaps Week 2 against the Saints.

It was a sharp turnaround from Week 1 when he played well behind Rashard Higgins. Higgins still saw three more targets than the rookie, but Callaway put his stamp on the game with a 47-yard touchdown to tie it late in the fourth quarter. As talented as they come and looking at a big role, Callaway needs to be rostered in all formats.
He keeps getting that he's going to put up numbers. Cleveland should sign another WR after Gordon is dealt so it's something to monitor. 

The highlight of his day was reeling in a 47-yard vertical shot on 4th down to tie the game late in the 4th quarter.
Everyone dribbling on about Gordon ought to look at this catch. The call itself was predictable and the Saints nonetheless left him in single coverage, but the throw was quite nice (TT throws deep well) and Callaway absolutely stuck it. They should take advantage of him more to loosen up the offense. 

Walking stick of dynamite that can blow up on or off the field. Seems I always have one on my team. Off season is when I worry with guys like this. Seeing Gordon sent packing may make him see the risks of ####### up.

Just get Mayfield on the field already.

Matter of time.
That's not fair to say at all. Gordon's has gad major issues that Callaway doesn't come close too. I maybe a little bias being a Florida fan but this guy has really matured over the last few yrs. Some hiccups with weed but this guy wants to prove everyone who passed on him this year made a mistake. I was hoping the Eagles could've grabbed him and stuck him at the very least as a KR/PR and maybe gadget player the first year. Browns got a steal if Callaway stays out of trouble and injury free. We're talking about a guy with 1st round talent who fell do to red flags for character issues like pot. The Assault reported by a student who had zero evidence he and another teammate committed. The time frame didn't match up and both ended up with alibis that others said were true of the case back in 2015. I'm happy so many people were swinging onto Josh Gordon's nut sack because if he can produce this year I got a steal in the last 2 rounds of my drafts. 

This kid is special.  Period.  Can’t wait to see what he does with baker.  
I'm not that huge of a Baker fan honestly. Sure the kid has an arm but theres also some character issues I don't enjoy about the kid. I'm also hesititant crowning any QB from a conference where talking about defense is liking telling a HS kid now how when we were growing up we didn't have cellphones and if we did they looked like the big ### satellite military phones and very few could afford them at the time. The last QB from Oklahoma with this much hype was a guy named Sam Bradford and the biggest thing he has going in his career is the fact he's stolen over $100M in the NFL for being injury prone, a whiney ##### and league avg. 

I'm not that huge of a Baker fan honestly. Sure the kid has an arm but theres also some character issues I don't enjoy about the kid. I'm also hesititant crowning any QB from a conference where talking about defense is liking telling a HS kid now how when we were growing up we didn't have cellphones and if we did they looked like the big ### satellite military phones and very few could afford them at the time. The last QB from Oklahoma with this much hype was a guy named Sam Bradford and the biggest thing he has going in his career is the fact he's stolen over $100M in the NFL for being injury prone, a whiney ##### and league avg. 
The only thing that compares those two is the school. Other than that, there is nothing alike about them. Among other things:

Mayfield is tough and will make tough throws. Bradford is weak, scared and frail.

Mayfield can chuck the ball anywhere. Bradford is captain checkdown.

Mayfield can move around in the pocket. Bradford is a statue looking for a place to curl up in.

I compare Mayfield to Chad Kelly. I think they are very similar and Kelly will be starting in Denver this year or next year at the latest. Callaway with Mayfield, barring stupidity by one of both, will put up big #s.

The only thing that compares those two is the school. Other than that, there is nothing alike about them. Among other things:

Mayfield is tough and will make tough throws. Bradford is weak, scared and frail.

Mayfield can chuck the ball anywhere. Bradford is captain checkdown.

Mayfield can move around in the pocket. Bradford is a statue looking for a place to curl up in.

I compare Mayfield to Chad Kelly. I think they are very similar and Kelly will be starting in Denver this year or next year at the latest. Callaway with Mayfield, barring stupidity by one of both, will put up big #s.
I think you forgot playing in a conference that shows zero care about defending. I think that's kind of big especially when you get to the NFL. 

I think you forgot playing in a conference that shows zero care about defending. I think that's kind of big especially when you get to the NFL. 
That's what my first sentence says. it's the only thing comparable between the 2. Also, what Mayfield did to Georgia last year, Bradford could have only dreamed about.

Users who are viewing this thread