What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: Tre’Quan Smith, WR NO (1 Viewer)

Bojang0301

Omar4Heisman
If there is a thread I missed let me know. Searched multiple times. Reserving first post for vitals when I edit.

Huge part of Central Florida’s success story.  PFF had Smith as their second highest rated WR in the draft.  Can win both with speed downfield and across the middle with contested ball skills.  70% catch rate but had some bad drops at times.  Average size and weight but a good athlete with long arms that give him a large catch radius and he attacks the ball at its highest point.  Can struggle against physical CBs and will need to improve his release technique in the NFL. If he gets past a DB he won’t be caught from behind - he plays faster than his timed speed.  Very strong downfield blocker in the run game as expected from a Frost WR and that will help get him on the field.

Love this guy’s upside in the NFL.  I already had M Thomas and Meredith rostered on my dynasty team, but when he was sitting there still in the 3rd round I felt that I couldn’t pass on him and thought he should have gone a round earlier.  Surprised there isn’t more enthusiasm for him given his success in college and the impact he made on the Cinderella story UCF team.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is tearing it up again today in practice.  Saints beat writers are calling him the story of camp so far. I'm to lazy to go look up and post the videos but several highlight grabs today.

And has was mentioned, his blocking was cited as on of main reasons by Saints why they had a second round grade on him.

I really don't see how you keep this guy off the field.

TQS had 4 catches for 48 yards, but how did he look to those that watched the game?  I didn't see it.  -Thanks!

Saints WR Tre'Quan Smith caught all four of his targets for 39 yards and one touchdown in Saturday's preseason game versus the Chargers.

Smith played behind Ted Ginn and Austin Carr but still made a more lasting impression in his short run. He hauled in all four passes thrown his way from backup Taysom Hill, including the Saints' first receiving touchdown of the preseason. The Saints invested a third-round pick in Smith and so far he's returned 11 catches for 147 yards and one score. With long arms (33 3/8"), 4.49 speed, and a 37 ½-inch vertical, it would not be shocking to see him mix in with (or even overtake) either Cameron Meredith or 33-year-old Ted Ginn as the season progresses.

Aug 25 - 11:01 PM

Smith reportedly had a strong camp and has been productive in the preseason. It is surprising to me that he isn’t climbing the depth chart faster in NO. Not like there is much at the position, aside from Thomas. —I suppose patience is required...

Smith reportedly had a strong camp and has been productive in the preseason. It is surprising to me that he isn’t climbing the depth chart faster in NO. Not like there is much at the position, aside from Thomas. —I suppose patience is required...
He's definitely one to have on your watch list if he went undrafted as he did in our league. The film I saw he was catching passes from backups, wanna see how much Brees trusts him before I pull the trigger. You would think if he's legit it won't take long for him to surpass Carr, Ginn and Meredith.

It doesn't seem like Tre'Quan is getting as much hype as he should:

Top 100 draft selection (91 overall)

Measured in at 6'2 200 at the combine.

Ran a 4.49 40yd, 10'10 broad jump, 37.5" vertical

He's been getting a lot of camp hype and has backed it up with production in the preseason.

He may not light it up to start the season but by the end I'd bet he's making a case for the Saints WR2 spot.

Smith reportedly had a strong camp and has been productive in the preseason. It is surprising to me that he isn’t climbing the depth chart faster in NO.
He is climbing the depth chart -- already past Cameron Meredith. Tre'Quan Smith won't unseat Ted Ginn by opening day, but Smith will start "out-snapping" Ginn by mid-season.

He is climbing the depth chart -- already past Cameron Meredith. Tre'Quan Smith won't unseat Ted Ginn by opening day, but Smith will start "out-snapping" Ginn by mid-season.
Are you speculating, or have you seen this somewhere, that he has passed Meredith?

Are you speculating, or have you seen this somewhere, that he has passed Meredith?
I am not Sean Payton so, yeah, I'm speculating.

Strictly, Meredith is backing up Michael Thomas as the X WR while Tre'Quan Smith is backing up Ted Ginn as the Z. But as far as fantasy relevance goes ... I want Tre'Quan Smith this year over either Meredith or Ginn.

This will be interesting to watch shake out (except for the non-Thomas owners of course). Thomas is deadly out of the slot, which is why I think Meredith is playing the same spot - so Thomas can vacate and move inside.  Smith has shown himself to be a tough matchup also and has more versitility to his game than Ginn while offering the legit deep threat, but is still a rookie and has that learning curve vs Ginn’s experience.

I could see some profound variance occuring with Meredith, Ginn, and Smith in the first 4-6 weeks before everything finally settles in.

No matter what happens, Brees is going to have an incredible bushel of guys who can make plays receiving when you add Kamara.  Could be a huge year for him.

Saints OC Pete Carmichael isn't concerned with Tre'Quan Smith's grasp of the playbook.

"He's a guy that's just gotten better as training camp went along," said Carmichael. "He's young, but I feel pretty good about him." Smith had a standout preseason, leading the Saints in catches (15) and yards (189). He's done nothing but confirm the star playmaker he was at UCF. With Cameron Meredith trending down, Smith could get the Week 1 start in three-wide sets.

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune 

Sep 8 - 3:13 PM

Tre'Quan Smith played 24-of-66 snaps (36 percent) of snaps Week 2 against the Browns.

Smith started, but caught his only target for 18 yards. Despite the low target share, it's an encouraging sign Smith started over Austin Carr. A college producer, Smith crushed the preseason and should see his role grow as the year progresses. Smith has blowup upside if there's an injury to one of the Saints' top wideouts.

Sep 19 - 4:20 PM

Saints coach Sean Payton plans to get Tre'Quan Smith more touches.

"We've got to find ways to get him more touches. He's handling our installation. And I think he's ready to prove that," Payton told reporters at Wednesday's media session. Smith got the start over Austin Carr last week, but played only 36 percent of snaps. That should rise with Ted Ginn battling a knee injury and Carr a non-factor. Smith's grasp of the playbook limited him the first two games, but he has impact potential now that he's playing in three-wide sets. Sep 19 - 6:29 PM
Don't mind me, I'm just trying to copy Faust.  

Looking forward to his opportunity.

wether it’s QB play, or an organizational tendency to pick good players at a certain position, i’ve found some success following those trends at WR.  

most recently before Smith, i selected JuJu Smith-Schuster. 

some food for thought.

hope Tre’Quan Smith continues improving.  

wether it’s QB play, or an organizational tendency to pick good players at a certain position, i’ve found some success following those trends at WR.  

some food for thought.

That's actually very weirdly not-sound-but as good of inductive logic as you could hope for and why I was on Smith-Schuster immediately, too. 

some food for thought.

Damnit. That just means he’s going to be on my bench when he goes off for 200 yards like Juju did.

Eh, his upside is what Tedd Ginn is now. No room with Michael Thomas on that team.

By the time he comes around, Drew Brees will have one foot out the door. Then you'll be waiting for a Rookie to get him the ball or a past his expiration date Drew Brees.

I like the talent but it's bad timing unfortunately. A few years too late.

Eh, his upside is what Tedd Ginn is now. No room with Michael Thomas on that team.

By the time he comes around, Drew Brees will have one foot out the door. Then you'll be waiting for a Rookie to get him the ball or a past his expiration date Drew Brees.

I'd be surprised if NO is happy throwing that many times to Thomas. Most of Brees' career there he supported at least 2 startable receivers/TEs. Last year was the first time a guy had as much target share as Thomas, and I think that has as much to do with the supporting cast as it has to do with Thomas. 

Michael Thomas got plenty of opportunity while Cooks was there. As for when Brees retires, maybe Teddy Bridgewater will still be on the team.

Are you talking this year or beyond? Ginn's never had more than 60 receptions or 800 yards in NO. I'd argue that Smith and Ginn are *very* different WRs and each has a unique skillset. Ginn's really more of a #3 than #2, imo, but he's been pressed into service. Smith is certainly bigger and yet very quick. We don't know what his upside is yet.

I'm also not discounting the future beyond Brees. They did trade for Bridgewater after all. We don't know the outcome yet with him in NO but it's every bit as probable as drafting a rookie at this point.

Love Smith’s long term upside, but this year being his rookie year and with Meredith still lurking and a complete unknown I don’t see any WR except Thomas being reliable week to week on that team.  At least it looks like there are going to be plenty of opportunities though - what happened to the D?

Tre'Quan Smith is expected to see a larger role in Week 5 against the Redskins.

The Saints ruled out Ted Ginn (knee), leaving Smith and Cameron Meredith as the next up behind Michael Thomas. Smith outsnapped Meredith last week and is the more exciting option in what projects as a high-scoring game. It's a potential breakout spot for Smith after a quiet first month. New Orleans is on a Week 6 bye, so Ginn's absence may be short lived.

Source: Mike Triplett on Twitter 

Oct 6 - 4:15 PM

With Ginn out and Evans on bye for me, I'm thinking about starting Smith this week. Higher upside than anyone else i have. 
2019 should be a breakout season. 

Sutton looks like he’s going to be a star, Smith couldn’t beat out Ginn. Ginn sucks at pretty much all important WR things except being fast. 
Drew Brees loves Tedd Ginn. People have sold Ginn off for years. Rookie WR’s often have growing pain. Tonight is a good opportunity but could ultimately be one that ends up in the hands of Meredith or Carr.

Sutton looks like he’s going to be a star, Smith couldn’t beat out Ginn. Ginn sucks at pretty much all important WR things except being fast. 
Sutton couldn' t beat out DT who's been done for a couple years now.  I like both these guys, but we don't know what we have with either yet.

If we are talking about redraft speculative adds I could see Smith being worth more short term.

Long term I would rather have Sutton, but I do like Smith as well.

If we are talking about redraft speculative adds I could see Smith being worth more short term.

Long term I would rather have Sutton, but I do like Smith as well.
To be honest I hope Smith turns out to be good, but anyone that has seen Sutton knows he’s already good and plays with bad QB. 

Sutton couldn' t beat out DT who's been done for a couple years now.  I like both these guys, but we don't know what we have with either yet.
He beat out all the other WRs in Den. With some folks saying Sutton will overtake DT by next year 

Users who are viewing this thread