What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: Tre’Quan Smith, WR NO (2 Viewers)

Tre'Quan Smith breakout game official. With so little target competition and him playing so many snaps, the breakout was coming, couldn't throw to Austin Carr and Kirkwood all the time. He's more a guy you play at home than on the road, but it's still refreshing to see so many targets.

Tre'Quan Smith breakout game official. With so little target competition and him playing so many snaps, the breakout was coming, couldn't throw to Austin Carr and Kirkwood all the time. He's more a guy you play at home than on the road, but it's still refreshing to see so many targets.
And I admit I chickened out and pulled him from my lineup this morning (replace with A Hooper 6.7) while Tre'Quan goes off 32.7 on my bench! 

He looked good out there. I like his chances of seeing a more consistent target share the rest of the way

Some good WRs in this class: Ridley, DJ Moore, Sutton, Tre'Quan. 

I haven't seen much of Sutton, but based on what I've seen, DJ and Tre'Quan are the complete package

Tre'Quan Smith hauled in 10-of-13 targets for 157 yards and a touchdown in the Saints' Week 11 win over the Eagles.

Coming off a zero target game against the Bengals, Smith exploded in this matchup. He was not able to come up with an end-zone target in the first quarter, but he corralled three quick catches on the next drive and just kept building from there. He got the two-minute drive started with a 22-yard catch, and he capped that drive with a gutsy 15-yard touchdown in which he absorbed a big hit. He kept things going after the break, working back to the ball on an 18-yard grab on the opening drive of the third quarter and closing out the period with a spectacular diving catch for 38 yards. Smith could not build on his last breakout, but he will have a better chance this time around with the Falcons up next. He will be an upside WR3 on Thanksgiving.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my bench.  Next week I will start him VS Atl to take advantage of his 2 targets for 0 catches and 0 yards.  Lol. 

Crazy thing is he could have had an even bigger day if he hadn’t been off his route on a couple passes.

Would have been a ballsy start given his track record.  I have him in my main league and just couldn't start him.  Executed a trade for Cooks when Jimmy G went down and Goodwin sucked as my WR2.

I don't know what to do with this guy.  Deeply believed he was Brees WR2, then they bring in the hasbeen, then Smith blows up.  Can a real expert help me please?  Left 27 points - Cooks production on the bench.

vs. Atlanta at home? I'd play him. Again, Saints home games you play him, moreso if the O/U says shootout. It's the road games or games that project under 25 Brees passes you sit Tre'Quan.
Hoping he can help cover Tyreek's bye. I almost started him over Howard in the flex this week, but it's hard to talk yourself into starting a player coming off a goose egg.

i read peter kings column this morning. he made a comment that the eagles doubled thomas and kamara a lot... so it explains why thomas only got 4 targets... but props to smith for taking advantage of the opportunity. he seems to be filling the ted ginn role... which as we all know is not a reliable fantasy option

What's going to happen when Brandon Marshall is activated week 12?  Don't give me the he's washed up argument.  Yes he is.  But the Saints aren't going to give away 1 million dollars to a player who joined week 11 to let him sit on the sidelines.  He will at least soak up some targets and opportunities.  Thoughts??

"Brandon Marshall signed a 1 year, $1,015,000 contract with the New Orleans Saints, including an average annual salary of $1,015,000. In 2018, Marshall will earn a base salary of $417,941, while carrying a cap hit of $417,941."

check out the home/road splits for him.

I left him on many benches after the Zero Target game, will strongly consider him at home vs ATL

What's going to happen when Brandon Marshall is activated week 12?  Don't give me the he's washed up argument.  Yes he is.  But the Saints aren't going to give away 1 million dollars to a player who joined week 11 to let him sit on the sidelines.  He will at least soak up some targets and opportunities.  Thoughts??
Teddy Bridgewater? :D

Marshall's only costing the Saints $471 K (vet minimum prorated over seven weeks). When he's ready, he'll get some snaps ... but he's more positional depth than he is someone the Saints desperately need to step in as the real-life #2 WR to Michael Thomas. Marshall may have a TD-dependent fantasy-relevant game or two ... but good luck calling that shot in advance.

Per Pete King's MMQB:

“I’ve never seen the Eagles play as much man,” Payton said after the game. With significant doubling of Alvin Kamara and Thomas, Brees had to go to his four least-experienced pass-catchers more than he’s planned. Four receivers—Carr, Tre’quan Smith, Dan Arnold and Keith Kirkwood, who entered the game with 25 NFL catches combined—caught 16 passes for 218 yards and two touchdowns.

Obviously usage was dictated by Eagle's D, but have to think Bree's confidence in Smith had to be bolstered.

Per Pete King's MMQB:

“I’ve never seen the Eagles play as much man,” Payton said after the game. With significant doubling of Alvin Kamara and Thomas, Brees had to go to his four least-experienced pass-catchers more than he’s planned. Four receivers—Carr, Tre’quan Smith, Dan Arnold and Keith Kirkwood, who entered the game with 25 NFL catches combined—caught 16 passes for 218 yards and two touchdowns.

Obviously usage was dictated by Eagle's D, but have to think Bree's confidence in Smith had to be bolstered.
Non-Saints fans may not have realized that Brandon Marshall was inactive for yesterday's game. I'd expect him to be inactive against the Falcons this coming Thursday, as well, though I'm not 100% on that.

The only thing that would've taken away from Tre'Quan Smith is Dez Bryant due to him being a Super Brandon Coleman. Brandon Marshall is a homeless man's Brandon Coleman; he was done last year. Marshall might get thrown goal line fades and jump balls but that's it.

"Brandon Marshall signed a 1 year, $1,015,000 contract with the New Orleans Saints, including an average annual salary of $1,015,000. In 2018, Marshall will earn a base salary of $417,941, while carrying a cap hit of $417,941."
Brandon Marshal is done.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/13196/trequan-smith

Tre'Quan Smith (foot) was listed as a DNP in Monday's practice.

The Saints didn't actually practice and will do almost nothing this week, but they are forced to issue would-be practice reports based on estimations. Smith is coming off a breakout game with ten catches for 157 yards and a touchdown on 13 targets. His participation reports will be worth monitoring all week. Nov 19 - 5:50 PM

Really interesting guy considering that he went from zero targets in a game where they scored 51 points to a guy who got 137 and a td. Probably tied into specific matchups that saints want to exploit.

Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/13196/trequan-smith

Tre'Quan Smith (foot) was listed as a DNP in Monday's practice.

The Saints didn't actually practice and will do almost nothing this week, but they are forced to issue would-be practice reports based on estimations. Smith is coming off a breakout game with ten catches for 157 yards and a touchdown on 13 targets. His participation reports will be worth monitoring all week. Nov 19 - 5:50 PM
Anyone worried about this foot injury for his availability this week?

Leroy Hoard said:
Really interesting guy considering that he went from zero targets in a game where they scored 51 points to a guy who got 137 and a td. Probably tied into specific matchups that saints want to exploit.
Yep. The Eagles doubled both Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara on a lot of first-half downs, forcing them to single up everyone else.

Keith Kirkwood -- on the practice squad three weeks ago -- has shown enough so far that it wouldn't surprise me at all to come up with a 5-catch game with a TD before the year is out. Daniel Arnold, too. Brees can exploit a defense with just about anyone on the offensive roster that can hold on to a football (sorry, Nick Toon).

Anyone worried about this foot injury for his availability this week?
Not enough info yet -- and Sean Payton is very guarded with injury info during the early week. A real practice participation report is coming out today, so we'll at least know whether or not T. Smith's foot is too bad off for even today's glorified walk-through.

For what it's worth he ran fine in the game and other than the medicine ball TD pass he caught, he seemed ok other than getting his brain scrambled.

Tre'Quan Smith (foot) returned to Saints practice on Tuesday, getting in a limited session.

This puts Smith on track to suit up Thursday night against the Saints. Boom or bust this season, Smith will have a good chance at booming against the Falcons' sub-par defense on the Superdome's fast track.

RW did not put a link to source.  Reliable beat writers said he was not seen at practice.  We now have conflicting news.

Smith (foot) was officially listed as a limited participant in Tuesday's practice session, Luke Johnson of The New Orleans Times-Picayune reports.

Smith was not present at the portion of practice open to the media Tuesday, so it appears he entered the mix later on when the practice was closed off. It's a slightly more encouraging sign for the rookie wideout after he was a non-participant in Monday's estimated session. Coming off a season and career-best 10-catch performance against the Eagles, Smith's practice status Wednesday should provide a better outlook on his availability for the Turkey Day matchup with the Falcons.
Sauce: https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/saints-trequan-smith-officially-limited-tuesday/

Tre'Quan Smith - WR -  Saints

Updating a previous item, Tre'Quan Smith (foot) did not practice Tuesday.

Previous reports had Smith listed as limited, but it was corrected Tuesday evening. Smith has now been sidelined both Monday and Tuesday and is looking awfully uncertain for Thursday night's showdown with the Falcons. If he misses it, Keith Kirkwood and Austin Carr are next up at wideout.

Source: Luke Johnson on Twitter 

I wish I could point to a tendency with Sean Payton and reporting injuries and say that it points to something conclusive. No one locally seems to know how bad Tre'Quan Smith's foot really is. I mean, he didn't get carried off the field Sunday ... that seems to be a positive sign that the injury is not horrifically bad.

Sean Payton does like to let guys 100% recover before rolling them back onto the field, though. And though Tre'Quan Smith had a great game Sunday, he is not necessarily an integral part of the Saints' offense in any given week. Not because of Brandon Marshall ... but because Payton and Brees can make a lot of guys function as a legit third option in any one game -- could be Keith Kirkwood, could be Dan Arnold, could be Josh Hill or Ben Watson. So Smith doesn't have to be rushed back on a short week.

Users who are viewing this thread