What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: Tre’Quan Smith, WR NO (1 Viewer)

I started him AND Kamara.  Traded Mike Thomas for Aaron Rogers  (QB heavy scoring) early in the season.  Lost Kupp.  Awful year.
Sometimes FF is a real B&$@#! 

I guess that’s why we all keep doing it, a bad luck season this year and maybe next year you win it all. FF is 50% skill, 50% luck and 25% skuck, which is the tiny bit of skill and luck combined. 

He is drop worthy now. He has screwed me for the last time. Huge drop inside the 5 & he got an earful when he came off the field. One good game, that's it, the rest garbage. 

He is drop worthy now. He has screwed me for the last time. Huge drop inside the 5 & he got an earful when he came off the field. One good game, that's it, the rest garbage. 
Cowboys defense stepped up to the plate and then some, but at this point I also feel like I'm wasting a roster spot on this dude.  Doctson, MVS, Enunwa, Callaway might not get anywhere near 30 pts but won't score zeros

Don’t disagree about dropping Smith but MVS has been close to zero the last two weeks. 1 catch for 8 yards week 11 and 1 for 3 yards week 12 🤢

On that one (only?) target in the first half near the end zone where he "alligator armed" the pass knowing he was going to get hit, did anyone else see the quick shot of him running off the field past Payton and Payton RIPPING into him as he jogged by? I think I lip-read the word "fudge" once or twice, but I’m no expert. 

On that one (only?) target in the first half near the end zone where he "alligator armed" the pass knowing he was going to get hit, did anyone else see the quick shot of him running off the field past Payton and Payton RIPPING into him as he jogged by? I think I lip-read the word "fudge" once or twice, but I’m no expert. 
Saw the ripping-into ... didn't read any lips, though. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised -- the mental game changes tremendously if the Saints score a TD there. As a homer, I'd go so far as to say the Saints win the game if they'd gotten a TD on that drive.

Brees threw for 127 yards, most WRs aren't going to be viable with that passing production by the QB. The mistake I made (and many made) is thinking Brees and the Saints would offensively dominate (See The Rule of Tre'Quan Smith). Underestimated Dallas big time.

His next 3:

14 - Dec 9 @TB Sun 1:00 pm ---- Start - It's frigging Tampa Bay

15 - Dec 17 @Car Mon 8:15pm ---- Bench - Not trusting him a Monday Night road game

16 - Dec 23 Pit Sun 4:25 pm ---- Home Game and he likely sees Artie Burns? Start

Of course YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw the ripping-into ... didn't read any lips, though. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised -- the mental game changes tremendously if the Saints score a TD there. As a homer, I'd go so far as to say the Saints win the game if they'd gotten a TD on that drive.
Dude would've been destroyed at the 5, Vander Esch and another defender were there. I don't know what the deal was but Brees threw several medicine balls last night.

Dude would've been destroyed at the 5, Vander Esch and another defender were there. I don't know what the deal was but Brees threw several medicine balls last night.
Gotta watch a replay ... looked to me like T. Smith could've knifed into the end zone without getting hit cleanly. Would've been very close to a Debo "KTFO" hit, admittedly.

Agreed, there was no way Smith was scoring on that play.  Still should have caught it.

I didn't understand that play call.  The ran Smith on a slant right towards the linebackers.

You know the worst part about this? Remember when I posted my other WR options being Chris Conley and A.J. Green? Sammy Watkins was just declared OUT... if I knew that yesterday I would've started Conley to begin with. :wall:

Don't Noonan said:
I started him 3 weeks ago and got a zero.  Dropped him, picked him up again after he blew up.  Starting him tonight over the likes of Crabtree, Doctson, Moncreif.
Well crap, to make matters worse I dropped Ware to pick him up.  🙁

What's going to happen when Brandon Marshall is activated week 12?  Don't give me the he's washed up argument.  Yes he is.  But the Saints aren't going to give away 1 million dollars to a player who joined week 11 to let him sit on the sidelines.  He will at least soak up some targets and opportunities.  Thoughts??
https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1072968157483143169

Field Yates ‏

@FieldYates

The Saints have released WR Brandon Marshall, per source.
An around-the-way rumor on Saintsreport is that Marshall's ankle still isn't back to 100%. He's been able to practice, but he's apparently lost A LOT off his fastball.

The sad reality is that the passing atttack is more diverse than first thought and a lot of the bloom has come off Smith's rose. Dropped him last week; you can't be in the Fantasy playoffs and worried that your guy will get a zero. Plenty of talented WRs out there like Pettis, Foster, Hamilton who can get numbers.

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1072968157483143169

An around-the-way rumor on Saintsreport is that Marshall's ankle still isn't back to 100%. He's been able to practice, but he's apparently lost A LOT off his fastball.
Didn't have much to begin with.

The last home game he played in (Week 11) he had 157 yards and a TD.

I'm thinking about playing him. I'm in the Championship game and my opponent has Brees so maybe Smith can mitigate some of that damage.  :shrug:

The last home game he played in (Week 11) he had 157 yards and a TD.

I'm thinking about playing him. I'm in the Championship game and my opponent has Brees so maybe Smith can mitigate some of that damage.  :shrug:
Nick Mensio's RotoWorld Evaluation

Start - Tre’Quan Smith vs. Steelers: Smith has become a forgotten man and non-factor in the fantasy community since his 10-157-1 evisceration of the Eagles in Week 11. He missed Week 12 with an injury, and the Saints have since played three straight road games where Smith has gone 0-0 as a receiver twice before a 2-15 night on four targets this past Monday night in Carolina. Smith simply hasn’t shown up on the road, much like most of the Saints’ passing offense. But in three home games since Ted Ginn (knee) was placed on I.R., Smith has amassed receiving lines of 3-111-2 against the Redskins as the overall WR5 in Week 5, 2-23-1 against the Rams as the WR32 in Week 9, and the aforementioned 10-157-1 against Philly as the WR3. And over the last three weeks, Smith has kept a stranglehold on No. 2 receiver duties, playing 131 snaps to Keith Kirkwood’s 83, while Austin Carr was a healthy scratch in Week 15. Ginn was designated to return from I.R. on Wednesday, but that simply opens his 21-day practice window for activation. Expecting him to suddenly jump into the lineup after not playing since Week 4 would be a stretch. Pittsburgh is No. 16 in fantasy points allowed to wideouts this season and 21st in pass-defense DVOA. The unit’s real strength is its pass rush and run defense. It’s a vulnerable group on the back end, and Drew Brees at home is a totally different animal. This game’s 53.5-point total is the highest of the week. Smith is tough to trust in season-long championship matches, but makes for an excellent DFS tournament play.

He's looking healthy, practicing and playing.  Look for Brees to smartly try to feed him as the Falcons D keys on Thomas & Kamara.

He's looking healthy, practicing and playing.  Look for Brees to smartly try to feed him as the Falcons D keys on Thomas & Kamara.
They still like Ginn. It’s hard to trust options beyond Thomas & Kamara 

Smith's time is coming. Just not sure it’s this year. He was healthy the first two weeks and only had a combined 5 targets. One went for a TD, but yeah.

i believe he has a bright future. Might be a coin flip as to his weekly value in redraft. 

I cut him in a pre-draft purge. He's now clogging up someone else's roster, for which they paid the privilege of I believe a 3rd or 4th rounder?

From Rotoworld

Speaking in a Thursday radio interview, Drew Brees predicted a breakout season for third-year WR Tre'Quan Smith.

“Tre’Quan Smith is a guy who I think is ready to really blossom and just explode in this offense," was Brees' full quote. Brees' words come five days after coach Sean Payton hinted at a bigger role for Smith after his lost 2019. Emmanuel Sanders' addition will make it tough for Smith to have a re-draft impact, but Dynasty league players should hold on for one more year if they can spare the roster spot. 

SOURCE: Nick Underhill on Twitter

Aug 27, 2020, 6:34 PM ET
________________________________________________________________________________

I don't know if being #5 in the receiving pecking order is a recipe for a breakout season.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Michael Thomas suffered a high-ankle sprain in New Orleans' Week 1 win over the Buccaneers.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport adds that Thomas is "likely" to be listed as questionable ahead of New Orleans' Monday night contest against the Raiders. The star wideout had his ankle rolled up on while blocking for Latavius Murray late into the second half but isn't expected to miss time since the injury is reportedly "something he believes he can play through." Whether he'll be productive playing through injury, however, is a different story. Fantasy players should prioritize Tre'Quan Smith as Thomas' WR handcuff ahead of primetime.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Sep 14, 2020, 1:40 PM ET

Tre'Quan Smith caught 5-of-7 targets for 86 yards in the Saints' Week 2 loss to the Raiders.

Smith was the biggest beneficiary among Saints' wideouts in the absence of Michael Thomas (ankle), seeing seven targets after getting just one pass thrown his way in the opener. Smith was tackled inside the five in this one and looks to be the wideout to own in New Orleans while Thomas is out. The Saints get a Week 3 road date with the Packers.

Sep 22, 2020, 12:18 AM ET

VIDEO: Sean Payton discusses Aaron Rodgers, Tre'Quan Smith and noise levels for Sunday's game

Does Tre'Quan (Smith) have a better understanding of what he's doing in the offense now? He's talked before about it was a little bit slow, but does it look like he's where he needs to be?
"Yeah, I think so. I think, number one, he had a real good week of practice. We'll move him around some. He's a real good blocker for us, but he's also a guy down the field that can run and one thing about him is he can catch the ball in traffic. He'll be a big part of this plan."

Tre'Quan Smith caught 4-of-6 targets for 42 yards in Week 3 against the Packers.

Smith’s six targets were behind only Alvin Kamara. He’s had an expanded role the last two weeks, but it hasn’t led to much fantasy production. Smith gets a matchup with the Lions in Week 4.

Sep 28, 2020, 12:09 AM ET

Tre'Quan Smith caught all four of his targets for 54 yards and two touchdowns in the Saints' Week 4 win over the Lions.

After being targeted just once in Week 1, Smith has turned 17 targets into 13-182-2 in the three games Michael Thomas (ankle) has missed. It's evident to anyone watching that Smith is better than Emmanuel Sanders at their respective stages in their careers, so hopefully Smith will get more playing time when Thomas is back, possibly as soon as next week against the Chargers. Smith's touchdowns were two- and 20-yard grabs in the second quarter. He'll be a WR3 for Week 5 against L.A. if Thomas misses. Smith will be an iffy start if Thomas returns.

Oct 4, 2020, 4:49 PM ET

What do we think? Big game coming up with Michael Thomas probably out?
I'm betting on fool's gold, with both Thomas and Sanders out. I'd have him as a desperation WR3. 

I'm thinking the Saints offense struggles this week, and Murray gets more work on the ground, to make up for the lack of receiving threats. Kamara probably sees 10 targets.

Probably a low scoring game. Possible Carolina upset.

Certainly some targets to be had with Sanders also out. I’m starting him in a league out of desperation.
I am in the same boat now that Crowder looks iffy.  However its seems like best case scenario to start him.  He is pretty much the only option at wideout for them and Carolina has a shortage at corner. 

Tre'Quan Smith will be the Saints' No. 1 receiver for Week 7 against the Panthers. 

With Michael Thomas (hamstring) inactive and Emmanuel Sanders on the COVID-19 list, Smith gets a shot at top duties. Smith has been wildly inconsistent during Thomas' AWOL 2020, but he does have three career 86-plus yard games, including a pair of 100-yard efforts. The Panthers have done a good job of limiting big plays in the passing game, but Smith offers legitimate upside as a WR3. Also inactive for the Saints are C Nick Easton, DT Malcolm Roach, OT Derrick Kelly and S D.J. Swearinger. 

Oct 25, 2020, 11:32 AM ET

Saints' Michael Thomas: Won't suit up this week

The Saints ruled Thomas (ankle) out for Sunday's game against the Chiefs, Luke Johnson of The New Orleans Times-Picayune reports.

Drew Brees (ribs) is expected to return from injured reserve, but he'll have to get it done without his top wide receiver. The Saints held Thomas out of practice all week, seemingly due to a setback with the ankle issue that caused a prolonged absence earlier this season. Emmanuel Sanders and Tre'Quan Smith figure to get the most wideout reps Sunday, with Alvin Kamara and Jared Cook also leading candidates to take on some of the vacated targets. Thomas has accounted for 29 percent of the Saints' targets in six games since he returned to action Week 9. The wideout's next chance to play will be a rare Friday game in Week 16, with the Saints getting only four days of rest before they face the Vikings on Dec. 25.

Tre'Quan Smith (ankle) was sidelined for Tuesday's practice. 

It's a bad sign with the Saints' Christmas Day showdown with the Vikings just 72 hours away. With Michael Thomas on injured reserve, Smith's absence would leave a shaky rotation behind Emmanuel Sanders, one where it would be impossible to predict who might emerge as the No. 2 option. Tommylee Lewis and Juwan Johnson both got looks in Week 15. 

Dec 22, 2020, 4:07 PM ET

Saints WR Tre'Quan Smith (ankle) is out for Week 16 against the Vikings. 

In addition, Smith is being sent to injured reserve. He will be ineligible to return before the Divisional Round. Smith's loss for Week 16 leaves the Saints woefully undermanned at receiver, though Marquez Callaway is coming off injured reserve and should see some looks behind fill-in No. 1 Emmanuel Sanders. Now 24, Smith's career has been stuck in neutral since flashing some rookie-year promise in 2018. He hasn't developed much short-area chemistry with Drew Brees, while deep shots are no longer a huge part of the Saints' offense. 2021 is the final year of Smith's rookie contract. 

Dec 24, 2020, 4:07 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread