Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
gianmarco

***Official Mike Gesicki Thread*** -- Dynasty (Miami TE)

Recommended Posts

Quote

The Miami Herald reports Mike Gesicki's pass protection has been a "concern" in training camp.

Gesicki has apparently missed some key blocks in practice. Gesicki has generally drawn good reviews for his summer pass catching, but poor blocking would complicate his rookie playing time.

Source: Miami Herald 

Aug 2 - 5:03 PM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dolphins observations from Day 8 of training camp

Excerpt:

Friday was the final training camp practice for the Miami Dolphins before their scrimmage on Saturday morning at Hard Rock Stadium. There were many takeaways from practice, and one of them was the play of tight end Mike Gesicki.

During red zone drills, Gesicki used his size and athleticism to box out defenders as he made a number of catches over his defenders. Gesicki, who also started on the first team offense again, also caught a few balls from Ryan Tannehill during 11-on-11 drills.

After practice, head coach Adam Gase complimented Gesicki’s work in the red zone.

“He just has unique timing, he knows how to box a guy out, he knows how to get in position,” Gase said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gianmarco said:

I wonder if those who listened to Mr. Alphabet in the other thread and faded Gesicki in their rookie drafts because "If he was really any good he would have been drafted in the 1st round instead of the 2nd" are starting to regret that now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gianmarco said:

I’m a big fan of Mike and I hope he does well but he would have been flagged for Offensive interference on that play. I increased the size of that video to get a better look and it looks like he pushed off twice. Once before he turned and then to separate himself to catch the ball.

Tex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Dolphins second-round TE Mike Gesicki was listed fifth on the Dolphins' tight end depth chart.

The rookie was listed behind MarQueis Gray (the nominal starter), A.J. Derby, Gavin Escobar and Thomas Duarte. Training camp depth charts should always be taken with a major grain of salt, especially this early. Gesicki has reportedly drawn rave reviews at camp, impressing with his trademark athleticism while also making strides as a blocker. Despite this conservative listing, the Penn State alum still warrants consideration as a TE2 in most formats.

Source: Armando Salguero on Twitter 

Aug 5 - 11:31 AM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gesicki with another TD
 

Quote

 

Armando Salguero‏Verified account @ArmandoSalguero

First-round pick Minkah Fitzpatrick all over second-round pick Mike Gesicki in end zone 1 on 1. Great coverage. And still Gesicki makes the catch for a TD.

 

 

Quote

Adam Gase: Mike Gesicki at 5th string I wouldn’t look too deep into this depth chart.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 10:59 PM, Stuart Ullman said:

Looks like Gronk to me. Only hangup is his Quarterback but I imagine Tannehil is on a short leash (unsure of contract details).

Their offense should really take off once they put Brock Osweiler or David Fales in for Tannehill.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched him a bit at PSU and wasn't sure how his game would translate to the NFL.  Either they let me run routes all day and he's going to be very good or instead of being a pseudo WR he has to be a legit TE an results will be slow to come.  

Hoping for the former and watching him much more closely since I became an owner today.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, C & C said:

Watched him a bit at PSU and wasn't sure how his game would translate to the NFL.  Either they let me run routes all day and he's going to be very good or instead of being a pseudo WR he has to be a legit TE an results will be slow to come.  

Hoping for the former and watching him much more closely since I became an owner today.  

I'm honestly thinking he might be fill landry targets vacated. but you're right it depends on how they want to use him. crossing my fingers because I traded down trying to get someone else and ended up with him instead. gamble didnt pay off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

I'm honestly thinking he might be fill landry targets vacated. but you're right it depends on how they want to use him. crossing my fingers because I traded down trying to get someone else and ended up with him instead. gamble didnt pay off. 

I can easily see him filling the Landry role with the added bonus of being a redzone threat.  I just dont trust Gase.  Gesicki seems like he would fill that role well, but then he's really a slot wr with a TE designation.  That a perfect world and honestly we all know he cant block so i hope Miami sees it the same way.  But i remain skeptical. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, C & C said:

I can easily see him filling the Landry role with the added bonus of being a redzone threat.  I just dont trust Gase.  Gesicki seems like he would fill that role well, but then he's really a slot wr with a TE designation.  That a perfect world and honestly we all know he cant block so i hope Miami sees it the same way.  But i remain skeptical. 

100% same

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How are you guys comparing the dynasty value of Gesicki to guys like Goedert, Hurst, and Jonnu Smith beyond this year?

I think I like the talent of Goedert and Jonnu more and the opportunity of Gesicki and Hurst more, but I've never been the best at evaluating talent and skills.

Edited by forbidden doughnut
'Cause I can't spell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:yes:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/13104/mike-gesicki

Dolphins coach Adam Gase believes second-round TE Mike Gesicki is ready for a "starter-like role."

"This isn't a hobby," Gase said. Gesicki had an unassuming summer, catching only one pass while struggling as a blocker, but he is an elite athlete and genuine pass-catching threat. He's going to see plenty of targets in the Dolphins' remade offense. Gesicki is a TE2 streamer who could develop into more for rookie fantasy purposes. Sep 2 - 11:50 AM

Source: Jason Lieser on Twitter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is unrealistic to expect a rookie TE to be fantasy worthy but I hope we see more on the field instead of just in practice.  And what does Gase mean by "this isn't a hobby"? Is he implying that Gesicki has not worked hard this summer?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My expectations for his rookie year are back and forth. 

This article makes good points about rookie tight ends almost never contributing year one, but goes on to give rave reviews for Gilsicki. I do think he has potential to be big. a lot of targets unaccounted for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think most rookie TEs don’t do much BC either 1) not enough playing time behind a starter or 2) they don’t block well enough. 

With Gesicki, He is the starter. And MIA knew he was a bad blocker and drafted him anyway.  They want to use him as a Receiver.  Specifically in the red zone.  

I have Gronk in one redraft league and dropped Doyle to p/u Gesicki today after hearing the starter reps stuff from Gase today.  Gase likes throwing to the TE.  so does Tannehill.  They tried to force the issue with Julius Thomas at times last year but Thomas sucked.   

I see no reason why he can’t have a Gronk like rookie year.  In gronk’s rookie year he had about 530 yards rec and 10 tds.   

What other major red zone options does Mia have on the team?  Stills, Parker, Amendola, Wilson...all decent in their own right, but none have proven to be amazing red zone targets.  

Kets not forget that Gase loves throwing it at the GL  

I think this is where Gesicki will eat most this year.  He’ll get some work bw the 20s but I don’t expect huge yardage numbers.  Just the occasional move the chains type stuff.  

Tried to draft him in dynasty too but was sniped right before my pick.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, rickyg said:

 

I see no reason why he can’t have a Gronk like rookie year.  In gronk’s rookie year he had about 530 yards rec and 10 tds.   

 

While I agree, he is an excellent red zone target, but 10 TDs is absurd. 

Miami threw 24 touch downs last year, 27 the year before. 

In Gronks rookie year, NE threw for 37 touch downs. 

There is no way Gilsicki gets over a third of this offenses touch downs

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

While I agree, he is an excellent red zone target, but 10 TDs is absurd. 

Miami threw 24 touch downs last year, 27 the year before. 

In Gronks rookie year, NE threw for 37 touch downs. 

There is no way Gilsicki gets over a third of this offenses touch downs

Remember last year no Tannehill.  The year before Tannehill season was lost as well if I remember correctly?  

Tanny ain’t no Brady that’s for sure.  But if thy make Gesicki a focal pt of the offense in the red zone 10 is a possibility.  If Tannehill throws for 30tds why can’t 10 go to his best red zone target?  

Whats a better number.  8?  I can still be happy with 600 yds and 8 tds from my te2 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, rickyg said:

Remember last year no Tannehill.  The year before Tannehill season was lost as well if I remember correctly?  

Tanny ain’t no Brady that’s for sure.  But if thy make Gesicki a focal pt of the offense in the red zone 10 is a possibility.  If Tannehill throws for 30tds why can’t 10 go to his best red zone target?  

Whats a better number.  8?  I can still be happy with 600 yds and 8 tds from my te2 

Sure if he throws for 30 TDs, possibly 8-10 to gilsicki but...

Tannehill has never thrown for 30 TDs

The last Miami Dolphin to throw 30 TDs was Dan Marino in 1994. 

 

Tannehill, after his rookie year, averages 24.5 TDs per 16 games played. If we look at maybe 25% of total TDs going to the TE, then I think it's reasonable to say 6 TDs for Gesicki. 

I think 1/3 of total TDs is a bit absurd and wishful thinking. Especially when you consider how many TDs wont be scored from within the redzone

 

ETA: Believe me, I'd love 8 or 10 TDs. I traded Reed away and drafted Gesicki as my TE1 at 17 overall on an orphan rebuilding team, and then regretted it as Goedert was there end of round 2. 

Edited by Dr. Dan
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rickyg said:

I think most rookie TEs don’t do much BC either 1) not enough playing time behind a starter or 2) they don’t block well enough. 

With Gesicki, He is the starter. And MIA knew he was a bad blocker and drafted him anyway.  They want to use him as a Receiver.  Specifically in the red zone.  

I have Gronk in one redraft league and dropped Doyle to p/u Gesicki today after hearing the starter reps stuff from Gase today.  Gase likes throwing to the TE.  so does Tannehill.  They tried to force the issue with Julius Thomas at times last year but Thomas sucked.   

I see no reason why he can’t have a Gronk like rookie year.  In gronk’s rookie year he had about 530 yards rec and 10 tds.   

What other major red zone options does Mia have on the team?  Stills, Parker, Amendola, Wilson...all decent in their own right, but none have proven to be amazing red zone targets.  

Kets not forget that Gase loves throwing it at the GL  

I think this is where Gesicki will eat most this year.  He’ll get some work bw the 20s but I don’t expect huge yardage numbers.  Just the occasional move the chains type stuff.  

Tried to draft him in dynasty too but was sniped right before my pick.  

The major reason he isn't likely to have a Gronk like rookie year is that he doesn't have Brady throwing the ball.   That being said, I agree that he has the most potential at the GL and am hopeful he can have 500 yards and 8 TDs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this kid may be the one who can break the trend of rookie TEs not producing for fantasy. The "starting TE" was just put on injured reserve as well...

IR

Edited by Weebs210

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Weebs210 said:

I think this kid may be the one who can break the trend of rookie TEs not producing for fantasy. The "starting TE" was just put on injured reserve as well...

IR

Engram already did that.

Tex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are people’s thoughts recently on Mike? Poised for breakout or doomed to practice blocking all season? 

An owner in my dynasty league just gave up on him already. I’d love to stash him but only have cook and seals jones rostered at TE currently. Will Gesicki be catching passes by week 9? What do you say dolphins fans? 

Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Truebluey said:

Anyone liking him this weekend if AJ Derby is out?

I have Reed on a bye, so picked him up, pickings were slim. Choice between him, Seals-Jones, and Hooper.

I think you picked the worst of the 3. I like Hooper this weekend and Seals-Jones could be a flyer with the QB change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going with him today over Ricky Seals Jones and Vance McDonald. Not only is Derby out but so is Davante Parker, so it seems likely Gesicki will be involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Mike Gesicki - TE -  Dolphins

Mike Gesicki caught 3-of-3 targets for 44 yards in the Dolphins' Week 7 loss to the Lions.

Gesicki was also evaluated for a concussion but thankfully cleared. The 44 yards were a new career high. He could break that number again in Week 8 if neither Albert Wilson (hip) nor Kenny Stills (leg) can get cleared for Thursday Night Football against the Texans. That being said, Gesicki will remain a last-gasp TE2.

Oct 21 - 5:41 PM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.