What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Manly" stuff you can't/don't do (1 Viewer)

nirad3

Footballguy
:oldunsure:   Probably opening myself - and others that dare reply - to mockery, but thought about this the other day...

Any "manly" types of things that you can't do?  Or just don't do?

For me, I can't drive stick.  Never learned.  My Dad had a stick when I was 13-14 but once I was of learning age, it was always automatic.

There are more, but I think I'll start with that.   :bag:

I'm generally worthless at fixing things.  Small things, sure.  But anything requiring tools other than a hammer, screwdriver, or drill and I'm out.
In my case, I Should be out but I'll likely give it a go and usually then have to hide the further damage I've caused before I tell her she should probably hire someone.

In my case, I Should be out but I'll likely give it a go and usually then have to hide the further damage I've caused before I tell her she should probably hire someone.
I'm smart lazy enough to know better.  I don't even try because I know it will cause me just more work.

I once installed a new faucet in the kitchen.  I do not exagerate when I say it took six trips to Home Depot.  Two of the trips were because I realized I forgot to get the flexible pipes for under the sink, and foolishly thought I didn't need to measure.  I had to go back because the ones I got were too short.

Not a helluva lot of manly stuff i can do - except throw just about anybody in a dumpster - but what i dont remember from before i left the Boston burbs for the desert for 40 yrs is lawncare going from a chore to a sacred duty. Wassupwiddat?!

Me neither.  Helped a buddy maybe 30 years ago and that was it.  It took us like 2 hours.  I quickly learned that it was something I'd let the pros do for 30-40 bucks.
If you count the time to actually make a trip to get the correct oil(especially if you own different vehicles that suggest different oil) and disposing of it properly.... it's just too cheap/easy to have it done for you assuming you don't have to wait in a long line.

Oil

hunting

I do fish, but don't really like keeping/fileting said fish even if I do want to eat them

don't own any guns

you could probably make the list of whatever you consider manly and I can't do it.  I guess maybe aside from being competent at most sports.  But in the real world, close to nothing.

I grew up with the ultimate DIY toolman. He could do anything: rebuilt cars, built houses from the ground up including all plumbing and electrical, could fix anything. Cars, trucks, tractors, mowers, motorcycles, anything.

Dad used to make me sit and pound nails into wood blocks when I was a kid. Only thing I got out of that was a lot of smashed thumbs. Tried to make me a car guy too. I've stared at a lot of engines and had parts/function explained to me multiple times. In one ear and out the other. 

Im pretty useless with anything toolsy. No mechanical skills. The extent of what I can do as an adult is hang wallboard.

I CAN do pretty much anything mechanical with a car...

Pretty handy with just about anything mechanical... house, car, boat, etc..

I've got guns.. hunted and fished my whole life...

I guess if I had to pick a "manly" thing I can't do.. it's drink hard liquor..  Whiskey, rum, gin, etc...  :X

I grew up with the ultimate DIY toolman. He could do anything: rebuilt cars, built houses from the ground up including all plumbing and electrical, could fix anything. Cars, trucks, tractors, mowers, motorcycles, anything.

Dad used to make me sit and pound nails into wood blocks when I was a kid. Only thing I got out of that was a lot of smashed thumbs. Tried to make me a car guy too. I've stared at a lot of engines and had parts/function explained to me multiple times. In one ear and out the other. 

Im pretty useless with anything toolsy. No mechanical skills. The extent of what I can do as an adult is hang wallboard.
My Dad is the same when it comes to carpentry/building crap.  Build it all from scratch ground up.  China hutches, tables, dressers, etc...that put furniture companies to shame.  Can't do a single damn thing of that myself.  However I can pretty much repair or build anything electronic.  Old man hates electronics, funny how that works out. 

Don’t hunt, don’t fish, minimal knowledge of anything auto related, and I don’t really do much as far as home repairs. I’d rather pay people that are good at those things instead of screwing around for hours and never getting it done to my satisfaction. 

I'm generally worthless at fixing things.  Small things, sure.  But anything requiring tools other than a hammer, screwdriver, or drill and I'm out.
Same here.  I've never owned a tool set.  I'm 100% worthless around the house. I am so bad at even the easiest tasks such as raking leaves, mowing the grass, etc. Only job I've ever been fired from was a landscaping job and it wasn't due to lack of effort/not showing/poor behavior it was purely because I sucked at it. 

Some others: 

1. Can't drive a stick. 

2. I don't think farts are funny.  Like at all. 

3. I have zero desire to fight another man and will avoid fights at most costs. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't hunt or fish, but have in the past. 

Change my own oil (and transmission fluid, and coolant, and differential fluids and really anything else in there).  Heck, two weeks ago I ripped half my engine bay apart installing a transmission oil cooler so I can better tow around my pop up camper. 

Can't drink dark liquors, though.  Clear rum and vodka are fine.  Gin is disgusting.  Can't do the whiskey or bourbons, though.

I hate fishing mostly because it is yucky and boring, but I can do it.

I've never smoked a cigar or cigarette or chewed tobacco.

Aside from that, I'm a stereotypical man....I fix all kinds of things, run tools, work in construction, hunt, play and watch sports, drink beer and liquor, obsessed with sex, etc.  I fart, burp and scratch with little to no regard for who is in the room.  Chicks dig me.

:oldunsure:   Probably opening myself - and others that dare reply - to mockery, but thought about this the other day...

Any "manly" types of things that you can't do?  Or just don't do?

For me, I can't drive stick.  Never learned.  My Dad had a stick when I was 13-14 but once I was of learning age, it was always automatic.

There are more, but I think I'll start with that.   :bag:
I had a lesson or two before heading over to Europe in my early 20s. Went over for a college friend's wedding in Luxemborg. Flew into Brussels morning of wedding, I was the best of the three of us in the little rental car we had with a 5 speed manual, so I took the driver's seat in the middle of the city and since this was the pre-GPS era, had my fluent French speaking friend be co-pilot and we headed off to the wedding a couple hours away. That was a fun ride! did a couple weeks driving around France and learned to do the manual well, would not want to be the person who rode that car next, the clutch was probably dead!!

It's not difficult, just need practice. You'd be surprised how easy it is, just not a skill that's needed very much anymore. Similar to the shock of my wife's mom when we were talking about how the kids don't do much with cursive handwriting anymore. Just not needed that much, so if drifts away.

Not a helluva lot of manly stuff i can do - except throw just about anybody in a dumpster - but what i dont remember from before i left the Boston burbs for the desert for 40 yrs is lawncare going from a chore to a sacred duty. Wassupwiddat?!
Where in the Boston 'burbs? I was South Shore.

I'm smart enough to read a manual to do things but I'm also smart enough to know when I'm in way over my head. Most car guy thing I've ever done was fix the thermostat. I was so ####### proud but I'm sure it's the equivalent of a 5 year old making a nice crayon picture next to a real painting (ie a real mechanic). 

Around the house I can do things but not well. I can spackle, hang drywall, paint etc. It just goes better when someone is there that knows what they're doing (usually my dad). You can tell my work by the visible spackle time and lines on the ceiling. 

Fired a gun a couple times. Don't care for it. Fished as kid. Don't now. As for stick, unless I get a sports car, who drives manual anymore? I'm sure I could figure it out but I've never had the need to learn stick.

Not sure what other manly things there are.

I might be a woman based on these:

-- I'm not very handy at all although I've gotten a little better at basic stuff. I don't even own a saw.

-- I don't hunt or fish

-- I don't change oil in my cars

-- I hadn't fired a gun until a few months ago

-- I'm not a fan of hard liquor anymore either

I do like beer and sports so there's that.

You must not have lived in an Italian neighborhood, then. Must be something to do with the statues of the Virgin Mary that elevates a simple chore to sacrament. But, my pops used to go outside and get his eye level down to scan for errant blades of grass after I was done mowing. Inevitably, i would be told that i "half-assed" it.

When it comes to edging, you will be able to find mynew ebook on Amazon soon. If you didn't actually cut yourself on the lines between the sidewalk and the lawn, you half-assed it.

A lot of stuff posted I can do, know how to do, but don't anymore (change oil, brakes, etc)

Hard liquor is a good one.  I don't really like just drinking a scotch or bourbon on the rocks.

Same with Cigars.  I will have on once in awhile but its not my thing

My wife rents me out to the neighborhood ladies on weekends to do the jobs their husbands can't, or won't.  I have a manual transmission in my daily driver.  I hunt, fish, and camp.  Oil changes I pay for as I do not like having to dispose of the oil.  Growing up we had a disposal station close to home and I would do it then, but now, well its well out of the way.

I can back a trailer with the best of them.  I can operate a forklift, split axel dump truck, front end loader and bobcat.  I will dig a pond, dig stumps, and do flatwork and stonework.  I paint my own house and replace my own appliances.  I can also father a kid with little more than a look.

I’m a mixed bag on the ones listed so far...

yes - handy with tools and home repair

used to but don’t any more - fish (as a kid with my father and brother), change oil

no - hunting (besides firing a 22 at a gun range with a friend and his dad), any garden work of any kind. 

the one "manly" thing I get no joy out of is BBQ-ing. I hate cooking of all kinds (I clean all the dishes, pots, pans after we eat. Our trade off). But even BBQ-ing doesn’t interest me, even though it’s seen as the manly man's cooking chore. My wife can get a piece of meat cooked /perfectly/ on the grill. Exactly the temperature you would want. Why mess with perfection?

Your son is my age! I lived in Hingham while growing up, lived in Watertown for a bit in the early 2000s.
Last i heard (i had the misfortune in HS to knock up a Mafia princess and had to run away from home for a yr & a half to keep from being murdered - never had anything to do with him & havent seen him since he was 8), he owned three garages in Brockton & Stoughton (where he grew up), all purportedly chop shops. I guess that's manly....

ETA: I knew a family named Wittkowski in Hingham

You must not have lived in an Italian neighborhood, then. Must be something to do with the statues of the Virgin Mary that elevates a simple chore to sacrament. But, my pops used to go outside and get his eye level down to scan for errant blades of grass after I was done mowing. Inevitably, i would be told that i "half-assed" it.

When it comes to edging, you will be able to find mynew ebook on Amazon soon. If you didn't actually cut yourself on the lines between the sidewalk and the lawn, you half-assed it.
yeah, the old man (93 this wk) is that way but got knocked for a loop by Lyme's this summer. so i been doing the mowing, but i'll be damned if i'll do all the trim crap he wants. carps a lot, but i feed him, so not too much....

My wife rents me out to the neighborhood ladies on weekends to do the jobs their husbands can't, or won't.  I have a manual transmission in my daily driver.  I hunt, fish, and camp.  Oil changes I pay for as I do not like having to dispose of the oil.  Growing up we had a disposal station close to home and I would do it then, but now, well its well out of the way.

I can back a trailer with the best of them.  I can operate a forklift, split axel dump truck, front end loader and bobcat.  I will dig a pond, dig stumps, and do flatwork and stonework.  I paint my own house and replace my own appliances.  I can also father a kid with little more than a look.
Yea but when you drive a new car off the lot does the price increase?

yeah, the old man (93 this wk) is that way but got knocked for a loop by Lyme's this summer. so i been doing the mowing, but i'll be damned if i'll do all the trim crap he wants. carps a lot, but i feed him, so not too much....
Sorry to hear about the Lyme's, brother. We have lawn service baked into our rent on this house, so no yardwork for me. If I was doing it, I'd probably be as bad as my pops. My kids are lucky.

Don't hunt,fish or own a gun.

Can do most basic repair type stuff but building things from scratch like a deck or a shed I'm out. Also don't run my own electrical or water lines.

Afraid of heights and get vertigo so don't climb ladders or other tall things. 

Can't set up computer or wireless stuff.

I'm sure there is more that I'm forgetting that my wife could list.

Users who are viewing this thread