What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

#QAnon (1 Viewer)

Juxtatarot

Footballguy
I've haven't been following politics and this forum as closely as I had been.  I hadn't heard about this QAnon conspiracy theory until yesterday.  There have been a lot of recent articles about it.  Here are a few:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/8/1/17253444/qanon-trump-conspiracy-theory-reddit

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-is-the-qanon-conspiracy-theory/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/us/politics/what-is-qanon.html

Basically the gist is something like this:

The Russia investigation is a sham. It’s actually a cover story for special counsel Robert Mueller and Donald Trump working together to expose thousands of pedophiles hidden in plain sight — including Hillary Clinton (and Bill Clinton, and Barack Obama), who will soon be under arrest. (Or perhaps already have been and are on their way to Guantanamo Bay.)
I suspect you guys have discussed this is other threads but I thought it might be interesting to keep tabs on future developments in one place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna put this in my file cabinet under the heading "Incredibly Ignorant and Potentially Damaging Conspiracy Theories" along with Sandy Hook, 9/11, the moon landing, Pizzagate, Birther ....

Molecule has a conspiracy thread and I think it was unpacked somewhat there, though maybe I’m wrong.

It’s been around for some time and there are believers. I think most notably recently Q stopped posting for a month or so until this past week, and also for whatever reason the news has only begun noticing that people with Q paraphernalia and posters have been showing up at Trump and other events. For instance there was a Q butjob who would show up outside the courthouse for all the Manafort hearings.

But it was around during the election and is more mainstream than many realize I think. Also there was a poster here (Noily, or something?) who had a Q avatar and he was active 2016-17 IIRC.

I've haven't been following politics and this forum as closely as I had been.  I hadn't heard about this QAnon conspiracy theory until yesterday.  There have been a lot of recent articles about it.  Here are a few:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/8/1/17253444/qanon-trump-conspiracy-theory-reddit

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-is-the-qanon-conspiracy-theory/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/us/politics/what-is-qanon.html

I suspect you guys have discussed this is other threads but I thought it might be interesting to keep tabs on future developments in one place.
Trumpian slip?  Maybe a cup of covfefe to help clear the mind

The Russia investigation is a sham. It’s actually a cover story for special counsel Robert Mueller and Donald Trump working together to expose thousands of pedophiles hidden in plain sight — including Hillary Clinton (and Bill Clinton, and Barack Obama), who will soon be under arrest.
As I mentioned in the Russia thread, that characterization of Mueller seems dated. It was true months ago. Currently, from what I can tell by reading a bunch of super crazy people on Twitter, Mueller is a bad guy now. He is getting owned by Manafort’s lawyers, and he has a lot of explaining to do about the witch hunt. He doesn’t seem to be in cahoots with Trump.

Some of the current items that the Q people seem to be focusing on include:

1. Allegations that QAnon supporters are a cult is just projection by Trump haters. Trump haters are always accusing others of what they themselves are guilty of, and this is just another example. Trump haters are the real cult, so they deflect from that by calling QAnon supporters a cult.

2. The mainstream media and the intelligence community are flooding twitter with anti-Trump bots.

3. Anthony Bourdain criticized Hillary and now seems dead. Coincidence?

4. QAnon is finally getting public recognition. That means it’s happening! I’m still unclear on exactly what is going to happen, but whatever it is, it won’t be long now. (I believe “it won’t be long now” has been a common refrain from the start.)

Qanon is all conspiracies rolled into one giant conspiracy.  Since we have the first conspiracy based President, who actually feeds conspiracy theorists, is it really any surprise this has surfaced?
so does that mean once this is disproven like all the others have that all conspiracy theories then die?

so does that mean once this is disproven like all the others have that all conspiracy theories then die?
This one can't be disproven.  It's more like a psychic doing a cold reading.   Some vague references that can be interpreted any way you want, and then when something happens the true believers backfill information to "prove" that the event was predicted.

This one can't be disproven.  It's more like a psychic doing a cold reading.   Some vague references that can be interpreted any way you want, and then when something happens the true believers backfill information to "prove" that the event was predicted.
just let all the crazies out crazy each other

As I mentioned in the Russia thread, that characterization of Mueller seems dated. It was true months ago. Currently, from what I can tell by reading a bunch of super crazy people on Twitter, Mueller is a bad guy now. He is getting owned by Manafort’s lawyers, and he has a lot of explaining to do about the witch hunt. He doesn’t seem to be in cahoots with Trump.

1. Allegations that QAnon supporters are a cult is just projection by Trump haters. Trump haters are always accusing others of what they themselves are guilty of, and this is just another example. Trump haters are the real cult, so they deflect from that by calling QAnon supporters a cult.

2. The mainstream media and the intelligence community are flooding twitter with anti-Trump bots.

4. QAnon is finally getting public recognition. That means it’s happening! I’m still unclear on exactly what is going to happen, but whatever it is, it won’t be long now. (I believe “it won’t be long now” has been a common refrain from the start.)
wonder if these folks are on MeetUp. Would go drinking with them. 

Here's an example locally.   Guy takes a picture that looks like a missile launch from a naval air station and sends a picture to local news asking for an explanation.   Turns out it's a searchlight from a helicopter, and the photographer says, "yeah, that makes sense and that's exactly what it would look like with my camera setup.  thanks for the explanation."

QAnon folks have spun this into a thwarted missile attack on Trump, which Michael Avanetti also knew about because he happened to post a picture in a tweet of a plane being targeted as part of his whole Michael Cohen thing.  So now not only is Q a high ranking government official (which he/she "proved" by posting a photo from Air Force One), but Avanetti is now really a spy who is helping people figure out the truth, since there's no way it's just a coincidence that he posted that tweet on the same day as the "missile launch".  Let's just ignore the fact that Trump had already arrived in Belgium for the NATO summit at the time the photo was taken.   

Another guy claims that when he held up a Q sign as a presidential motorcade passed him, one of the cars honked the letter Q in morse code at him and held up the sign language sign for "Q".   

Each time one of these nutjobs posts their newly-found connection, they congratulate each other.  Much discussion about how this many coincidences are statistically impossible.  

Here's an example locally.   Guy takes a picture that looks like a missile launch from a naval air station and sends a picture to local news asking for an explanation.   Turns out it's a searchlight from a helicopter, and the photographer says, "yeah, that makes sense and that's exactly what it would look like with my camera setup.  thanks for the explanation."

QAnon folks have spun this into a thwarted missile attack on Trump, which Michael Avanetti also knew about because he happened to post a picture in a tweet of a plane being targeted as part of his whole Michael Cohen thing.  So now not only is Q a high ranking government official (which he/she "proved" by posting a photo from Air Force One), but Avanetti is now really a spy who is helping people figure out the truth, since there's no way it's just a coincidence that he posted that tweet on the same day as the "missile launch".  Let's just ignore the fact that Trump had already arrived in Belgium for the NATO summit at the time the photo was taken.   

Another guy claims that when he held up a Q sign as a presidential motorcade passed him, one of the cars honked the letter Q in morse code at him and held up the sign language sign for "Q".   

Each time one of these nutjobs posts their newly-found connection, they congratulate each other.  Much discussion about how this many coincidences are statistically impossible.  
the bakers are doing an admirable job of assembling the crumbs to fill in the conspiracy puzzle...After the storm it's rumored that Mueller and Trump are supposed to jump into a Space Force rocket ship driven by L. Ron Hubbard.

Reminds me of the Heaven's Gate cult.

People so excite that "It's Happening!" because they got some news coverage out of the latest rally.   Claim that Trump acknowledged them in this video of him "pointing" to the Q cut-out.  

He pointed kind of near me!.   I'd turn the sound off because the guy on the video is really annoying.

I think Q is some sort of weird larp account.  He's posted images before that suggest he does have access to the White House, but his posts are really cryptic and stupid.  The account has tried to discredit Wikileaks as well, so he's in good company among the bizarre axis of Trump's intelligence apparatus and the msnbc resister libs who love them.  

"QAnon appears to be slowly grooming millions of people on the internet who had normally been skeptical of pro-government narratives in the past to ‘trust the plan’ — aka trust everything Donald Trump is doing including hiring dangerous neocons who want to overthrow the government of Iran.”

https://www.mintpressnews.com/pro-trump-conspiracy-monger-qanon-calls-for-regime-change-in-iran/244686/

My ex-wife seemed dead in the bedroom, pretty sure Bourdain IS dead. 

I'm gonna put this in my file cabinet under the heading "Incredibly Ignorant and Potentially Damaging Conspiracy Theories" along with Sandy Hook, 9/11, the moon landing, Pizzagate, Birther ....
OK sure the rest are conspiracies. But the moon landing that’s different. Didn’t you ever see Capricorn One with OJ Simpson? 

I don't know, guys. We should hear these folks out so as not to alienate them with our intolerance.
doesn't matter.  intolerance shows that they are being singled out and attacked because they know the truth.   acceptance means that "It's Happening" and they are being vindicated because they know the truth.

https://twitter.com/qjurecic/status/1025060509656207360

What I don't get about QAn*n: it's become an internet meme for old people, where the teens who live on 4Chan seem to find it kind of ridiculous and it's older folks who schlep out to rallies and marches who find it compelling. How did that happen? Is there a precedent for that?

Like, how is it that the meme so successfully moved from 4Chan into a broader ecosystem? How are the new pieces of the conspiracy crossing the airgap from 4Chan into media that older folks consume?

What I don't get about QAn*n: it's become an internet meme for old people, where the teens who live on 4Chan seem to find it kind of ridiculous and it's older folks who schlep out to rallies and marches who find it compelling. How did that happen? Is there a precedent for that?

Like, how is it that the meme so successfully moved from 4Chan into a broader ecosystem? How are the new pieces of the conspiracy crossing the airgap from 4Chan into media that older folks consume?
I think Reddit has to have some of the blame, along with Twitter. I'm fairly certain Roseanne got on the Q train via Twitter. As for Reddit, I'm always a bit surprised by the number of older people that seem to use it, but the traffic numbers for Reddit have exploded so much in the last few years that I guess I shouldn't be. I think it's the #6 site in the world by traffic according to Alexa. 

There have been several iterations of QAnon subs on Reddit, with the current version called "GreatAwakening". The users there frequently post pictures in various QAnon swag, and they're clearly all pretty old. 

This is pretty interesting stuff about QAnon being a fairly elderly group. And where do we believe they stand in popularity/participation in comparison to, say, Antifa or BLM?

Infowars, Breitbart and Gateway Pundit are gateway sites to QAnon.

The consensus in that thread I linked to seems to be that YouTube is the primary driver (with Facebook also playing a role). Old people will watch a YouTube video from Ben Shapiro or their crazy local congressman, and YouTube’s “play next” algorithm always leads to something more extreme. So after a few steps, people are at QAnon stuff.

It’s a decent theory because YouTube’s algorithm does take people to progressively more extreme videos from any given starting point.

Is this where everyone that's stoked that Trump is going to go down on conspiracy charges gets together to talk about how stupid and fake conspiracies are?  Cool

Is this where everyone that's stoked that Trump is going to go down on conspiracy charges gets together to talk about how stupid and fake conspiracies are?  Cool
No this is a thread discussing QAnon.   But I can see how you'd be confused by the thread title and the discussion of what it is and how it's gained traction.  Do you have some discussion to add?

Nah, but now it's where people differentiate between a conspiracy theory and actual criminal charges, pertaining to conspiracy.

I have no idea what this is all about but an old schizophrenic co-worker is into this.

The guy was smart and somewhat charismatic, but unfortunately had mental issues. Voices guided him, was into all kinds of odd things. Was pretty sad.

He’s now posting about this quite a bit. 

I have no idea what this is all about but an old schizophrenic co-worker is into this.

The guy was smart and somewhat charismatic, but unfortunately had mental issues. Voices guided him, was into all kinds of odd things. Was pretty sad.

He’s now posting about this quite a bit. 
It's not their fault the world is messed up, it's the conspiracy. 

It's not their fault the world is messed up, it's the conspiracy. 
I’m having a hard time even following what the hell iit’s all about. Have a hard time believing sane people would buy into any of it but it appears to be gaining steam. 

There’s always been crazy people, think now we just get to easily hear them. 

Making cuts in mental health care suddenly makes sense, as long as the narrative of the conspiracy is that Trump is here to save us.   The more crazy people the better.

I’m having a hard time even following what the hell iit’s all about. Have a hard time believing sane people would buy into any of it but it appears to be gaining steam. 

There’s always been crazy people, think now we just get to easily hear them. 
The crazy and the stupid are highly contagious and spreading like the plague.

After 90 seconds of in-depth research on the Internet:  QAnon makes Pizzagate look like General Relativity.

They're having a laugh.  No way anyone believes this.

Molecule has a conspiracy thread and I think it was unpacked somewhat there, though maybe I’m wrong.

It’s been around for some time and there are believers. I think most notably recently Q stopped posting for a month or so until this past week, and also for whatever reason the news has only begun noticing that people with Q paraphernalia and posters have been showing up at Trump and other events. For instance there was a Q butjob who would show up outside the courthouse for all the Manafort hearings.

But it was around during the election and is more mainstream than many realize I think. Also there was a poster here (Noily, or something?) who had a Q avatar and he was active 2016-17 IIRC.
My thread has none of this.  I was trying to track to track the story of non-crazies- Rush Limbaugh, Fox news, etc.  This qanon business is a whole nother thing 

Users who are viewing this thread