What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patrick Stewart will star in new Star Trek TV series as Jean-Luc Picard (1 Viewer)

Lehigh98

Footballguy
In...

https://www.cnet.com/news/star-trek-expands-canon-with-new-show-patrick-stewart-jean-luc-picard/?ftag=CAD-03-10aaj8j

Patrick Stewart will star in new Star Trek TV series as Jean-Luc Picard on CBS All Access

CBS announced today that the series will tell the "next chapter" in Picard's life.

BY 

MIKE SORRENTINO,

CAITLIN PETRAKOVITZ

AUGUST 4, 2018 2:35 PM PDT

Make it so.

CBS

At the Star Trek Convention in Las Vegas today, CBS announced a new show will join Star Trek: Discovery on its CBS All Access streaming service. This new Star Trek series will explore The Next Generation's Jean-Luc Picard's next chapter, and will see Patrick Stewart return to the role.

The new show is the first to come after CBS' June announcement that the Star Trek television universe would be expanding with Discovery showrunner Alex Kurtzman overseeing the new series (disclosure: CBS is CNET's parent company). CBS said then that traditional, miniseries and animated Star Trek shows are being considered. No word on whether other series are still in consideration; this announcement may be the only or simply the first.

In his statement on Twitter, Stewart said, "I truly felt my time with Star Trek had run its natural course. It is, therefore, an unexpected but delightful surprise to find myself excited and invigorated to be returning to Jean-Luc Picard and to explore new dimensions within him."

Stewart elaborated that he is ready to return as Picard to "research and experience what comforting and reforming light he might shine on these very dark times." Fans are, understandably, terribly excited by the news.

But the Picard you meet will be different from the one you knew. 20 years have passed and he's seen a lot. #StarTrek #STLV pic.twitter.com/5kPDlvBHHL

In the announcement video above, Stewart says they have no scripts yet, "we're just talking, talking, talking storylines."

"It will be, I promise you, I guarantee it, something very, very different. But it will come to you with the same passion and determination and love of the material -- and love of our followers and our fans -- exactly as we had it before," he said.

The series is as-yet unnamed ("Picard" sounds pretty good though, right?) with no air date, and will join Discovery on All Access.

Wine and women hopefully.  He was always so smoove with the ladies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I lost my interest for this when I realized that the Paramount Star Trek is not actually related to the original storyline. Yes it's Picard but it's technically another universe. Not really hopeful on the writers doing something interesting. Especially after the debacle that is STD.

I lost my interest for this when I realized that the Paramount Star Trek is not actually related to the original storyline. Yes it's Picard but it's technically another universe. Not really hopeful on the writers doing something interesting. Especially after the debacle that is STD.
I must have misunderstood how this was being written.

I thought it was set 20 years after Star Trek Nemesis and that the character had undergone a psychological change from his Starfleet days based on the destruction of Romulus.

Everything I read said it was same universe, but just in the future.  The only things the producers are going to ignore from Next Generation are the flash forward scenes in All Good Things which happen roughly around the same time frame is the new series according to what I read.

I must have misunderstood how this was being written.

I thought it was set 20 years after Star Trek Nemesis and that the character had undergone a psychological change from his Starfleet days based on the destruction of Romulus.

Everything I read said it was same universe, but just in the future.  The only things the producers are going to ignore from Next Generation are the flash forward scenes in All Good Things which happen roughly around the same time frame is the new series according to what I read.
I think legally it can't be the same universe. They have to be some arbitrary percentage different. So think of it as an alternate universe where some of that stuff does happen but maybe not the same way as we remember it or not at all. They really have open license to do whatever they want with this. It could be really good. I just don't have much hope for it after seeing STD.

I think legally it can't be the same universe. .
Oh interesting!  Can you explain this more?  What legalities are you referring to? 

CBS owns all the rights to Star Trek The Next Generation via Paramount Television which they absorbed.

Finally saw the trailer. I'm getting a Force Awakens vibe from it already. Throwing familiar faces at us to pull us in. Nostalgia overload. The plot seems to be something that can end the universe. All revolving around a random girl that will obviously be more powerful than anyone can imagine.

Why is Picard even in this? He's freaking 80. I would have liked an introspective, small budget old school sci Fi show that got into real sci Fi topics week to week but this looks like another flashy, end of the universe, all balls action movie in a the form of a show that just happens to have an elderly Picard. Weren't people railing on the new Star trek movies for doing that? 

I have zero interest to see this now and to be honest, it looks like a major letdown coming for all those getting suckered in by the nostalgia. I know that's how felt after TFA.

Ugh this just looks less and less like Star trek every new press release. If you like current day, CNN headline politics in your Star Trek, boy are you in for a treat.🙄

https://variety.com/2020/tv/features/patrick-stewart-star-trek-picard-cbs-all-access-1203459573/amp/

“In a way, the world of ‘Next Generation’ had been too perfect and too protected,” he says. “It was the Enterprise. It was a safe world of respect and communication and care and, sometimes, fun.” In “Picard,” the Federation — a union of planets bonded by shared democratic values — has taken an isolationist turn. The new show, Stewart says, “was me responding to the world of Brexit and Trump and feeling, ‘Why hasn’t the Federation changed? Why hasn’t Starfleet changed?’ Maybe they’re not as reliable and trustworthy as we all thought.”

Oh I'm sorry. I can't talk about things I used to like that are now ####?
It's well established you can and do.  We get it - you hate everything and you enjoy crapping on threads where some people are excited to watch a new ST series.  Hell, I'm not even really a fan of ST and don't have plans to watch but your BS in these threads is insufferable and you've been called out several times for it.  How about this - you said you are out, how about you actually do that and stay out so those who want can have a discussion about the show can do so without having to read about how miserable you find everything all the time?

AAABatteries said:
It's well established you can and do.  We get it - you hate everything and you enjoy crapping on threads where some people are excited to watch a new ST series.  Hell, I'm not even really a fan of ST and don't have plans to watch but your BS in these threads is insufferable and you've been called out several times for it.  How about this - you said you are out, how about you actually do that and stay out so those who want can have a discussion about the show can do so without having to read about how miserable you find everything all the time?
Posting articles about a show that is calling itself Star Trek and being anything but is being miserable. Perhaps I see it as doing a service to those that might think they're getting a Next generation sequel but instead are turning in for the next leg of Star Trek discovery but with more current day politics.

Feel free to mute me if you feel that strongly about it. No one is holding a gun to your head to read my posts.

You'd expect a post-Dominion War/destruction of Romulus Starfleet to be very different than in TNG
The point of Star Trek was that humanity moved past petty squabbles as a race and set their sights on higher goals like knowledge and seeking the truths of the universe. It gave hope for society that we could all become one and get past all of our differences.

Deep Space nine explored different themes about war, oppression and how different cultures react to such but it was still done with a fine balance between action and intellectual. 

The Star Trek NG movies started moving away from that which was fine because it was a movie. After first contact, they became boring predictably save the world explosion fests. 

I admit I liked ST 2009 because it was new and shiny and had the OG crew again. But it doesn't really hold up well. Into dark was was awful. Beyond was just another generic action space movie. 

ST Discovery though has taken that generic, dull vision of the future and decided to inject current day politics into humanity if the future again. Humanity that moved past all that. Things like gender and skin color wouldn't matter to humans of the future. It's just boring and makes for a cringe experience. 

I had hoped for Picard returning to the smaller sci fi roots.  Episodes like Darmok and the Inner light came to mind. I thought we'd see smaller plots from week to week that showed off Stewart's acting ability and stretch out views on humanity and bring about questions about how we can evolve towards a better future. 

When I see quotes like "I had Trump and Brexit in mind when I was thinking about what to make for the show" I just sigh and think, there goes another one. 

The point of Star Trek was that humanity moved past petty squabbles as a race and set their sights on higher goals like knowledge and seeking the truths of the universe. It gave hope for society that we could all become one and get past all of our differences.

Deep Space nine explored different themes about war, oppression and how different cultures react to such but it was still done with a fine balance between action and intellectual. 

The Star Trek NG movies started moving away from that which was fine because it was a movie. After first contact, they became boring predictably save the world explosion fests. 

I admit I liked ST 2009 because it was new and shiny and had the OG crew again. But it doesn't really hold up well. Into dark was was awful. Beyond was just another generic action space movie. 

ST Discovery though has taken that generic, dull vision of the future and decided to inject current day politics into humanity if the future again. Humanity that moved past all that. Things like gender and skin color wouldn't matter to humans of the future. It's just boring and makes for a cringe experience. 

I had hoped for Picard returning to the smaller sci fi roots.  Episodes like Darmok and the Inner light came to mind. I thought we'd see smaller plots from week to week that showed off Stewart's acting ability and stretch out views on humanity and bring about questions about how we can evolve towards a better future. 

When I see quotes like "I had Trump and Brexit in mind when I was thinking about what to make for the show" I just sigh and think, there goes another one. 
I'm going to back you up on this one. STD was not loyal to cannon (Spock is an emo man baby, etc.); in fact, it crapped all over canon. The makers inserted intersectional politics and removed any semblance of plot or good storytelling.  When fans complained, they were criticized...just like Doctor Who, just like Star Wars, and (coming soon with the M SHE U), Marvel.

AAABatteries said:
I was very excited to talk about this show but you are right, it is not worth it when the same guys make the exact same complaints in every thread.  It ruins any enjoyment of discussing a show or movie for me.  

They set up up straw men on why they want to hate something even before watching a minute of it and then happily tell every one how right they were and how dumb every one else is for watching something so stupid. 

There must be some obvious level of enjoyment in doing this because it keeps happening so I think it is as much on us to stay out of these threads as it is to expect them to stay out.

That certainly wasn't what was happening at the end of DS9.  The Federation had become militaristic and much more controlled by Section 31.  The Picard trailers have felt similar to what we would expect if that is continued.  A very grey Starfleet with competing elements.

The reboot stuff is total crap in my book.

That certainly wasn't what was happening at the end of DS9.  The Federation had become militaristic and much more controlled by Section 31.  The Picard trailers have felt similar to what we would expect if that is continued.  A very grey Starfleet with competing elements.

The reboot stuff is total crap in my book.
Section 31 was not the power that be though but I understand what you mean. It's just a shame we're here now where even our hopeful futuristic shows are just as dark and cynical as reality. 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the particular complaint here, but Star Trek has contained healthy does of societal and political commentary since its inception.

Sounds like a homosapiens only club.

Section 31 was not the power that be though but I understand what you mean. It's just a shame we're here now where even our hopeful futuristic shows are just as dark and cynical as reality. 
You should watch Deep Space Nine episode Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges.

It is about assassination of other nation's intelligence officers. 

It is dark and shockingly relevant to today's politics. 

Users who are viewing this thread