What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tires question (1 Viewer)

Dentist

***Official FBG Dentist***
Wife has a car that we're going to replace next year.. not ready to replace this year.

Tires though are shot.. down to the felt.

New tires from costco are like $650 for a set of 4.

However that seems like overkill and a waste of dough.

Is there a decent brand of off-branded tires that would be a decent value to get me through a season before dumping the car?

I've never bought anything besides the big brands, but I see there are a lot of cheap tires that I'm sure wouldn't last as long and would come with less warranty, but for the purpose i'm buying for seem like they would be fine..  just seeing if anyone here has experience with any of the lesser brands.

Hercules Tires. They buy molds from discontinued name brand tires and then make them under their own brand.

Not the very cheapest but you won't have to spend as many investable dollars as the name brands.

Look at your local firestone/good year/mavis tire/ pep boys and there are plenty of lower end models that Costco does not carry. Just was tire shopping and Costco only seems to carry mid to upper mid level tires in their small assortment.

Look at your local firestone/good year/mavis tire/ pep boys and there are plenty of lower end models that Costco does not carry. Just was tire shopping and Costco only seems to carry mid to upper mid level tires in their small assortment.
Hold on now, now we need to factor in any kind of Costco rebates he might get spending there vs Walmart or wherever

You should be able to find a set of used tires for $100. They'll only have 25-50% tread on them, but that should be plenty if you're planning to sell the car within a year.

If your wife and kids are going to be in that car for 6 to 12 months, get it done right and add 1.75 days until you retire.
Or, crazy thought here. Buy good tires and wait longer to replace the car.

Is there any real reason you want to replace this car next year? 

Just buy a new car now
I'm first to to get a car, i have the 04 to her 07.

I'm super light on cash this year because i bought a new house with most of my cash i had laying around.

I'm sub 12 months in my emergency fund and only have enough to buy one car in cash right now without dipping below the danger zone of 6 months.

I should be replenished with cash by next May to buy her a new car with cash

Or, crazy thought here. Buy good tires and wait longer to replace the car.

Is there any real reason you want to replace this car next year? 
Per the latest car exam it's getting pretty close to some major repairs.   Just want to limp by for 9 to 15 months

You should be able to find a set of used tires for $100. They'll only have 25-50% tread on them, but that should be plenty if you're planning to sell the car within a year.
I agree but that's a little more risk than i want to take with the wife\kids over the winter

We've come a long way from nomarriage.com or whatever it was.

Nice to see our flawed hero fighting the good fight though, albeit in a very indirect way.

If your wife and kids are going to be in that car for 6 to 12 months, get it done right and add 1.75 days until you retire.
Let's make it safe and retirement friendly.

Buy a set of Cooper or kumho tires now, save all 4 of your current #### tires.  Ride around for a year on the new ones , then put the old ones back on before you sell the car, and sell the then-1YO tires for a couple hundred bucks when you get the new car.

There has to be a way to buy new tires for this car and keep the old tires in the garage, then switch them out before you sell the old car and see what kind of discount you can get on the new car if you bring your own tires, right?

What kind of car?  Look at tirerack.com

Looks for deals.  Just get new tires you cheap ###.  You should be able to find good pricing, and it will help once you unload the car.  People like to buy a car with good tires. You might even come out ahead by getting the new tires, plus the bonus of having good tires for the next year.   And don't tell me you are doing a trade in.  That would negate a lot of your other good financial decisions and add like 2-3 months before you can retire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put on normal tires. Save old tires. Replace new tires with old shat tires when you go to sell. Rent new tires to neighborhood kids as play toys. 

What kind of car?  Look at tirerack.com

Looks for deals.  Just get new tires you cheap ###.  You should be able to find good pricing, and it will help once you unload the car.  People like to buy a car with good tires. You might even come out ahead by getting the new tires, plus the bonus of having good tires for the next year.   And don't tell me you are doing a trade in.  That would negate a lot of your other good financial decisions and add like 2-3 months before you can retire.
Accord with the thin profile 17 inch tires..

Not doing a trade in

There are a few things in life you should never go cheap on and tires are one of them. Look at Consumer Report to find best deal but you have a family and a few extra bucks to keep your peeps safe is worth it. 

Michelin, General, and Goodyear all worth the money. 

You can go cheap on TVs, groceries, ballcream, dinners with friends, helicopter rotor blades, gifts for friends who still throw themselves Birthday parties and expect you to bring a gift. Hell if your wife wants her wedding band reset, drop a zirconium in that #####. 

But don’t get cheap with tires, most people like their loved ones to stay alive. HTH

There are a few things in life you should never go cheap on and tires are one of them. Look at Consumer Report to find best deal but you have a family and a few extra bucks to keep your peeps safe is worth it. 

Michelin, General, and Goodyear all worth the money. 

You can go cheap on TVs, groceries, ballcream, dinners with friends, helicopter rotor blades, gifts for friends who still throw themselves Birthday parties and expect you to bring a gift. Hell if your wife wants her wedding band reset, drop a zirconium in that #####. 

But don’t get cheap with tires, most people like their loved ones to stay alive. HTH
Can you link me to some information whereby generic tires were responsible for an increased accident rate?   Look I'm pro safety but this really seems dramatic.  So i guess I'd like to know more

Accord with the thin profile 17 inch tires..

Not doing a trade in
need all specs of the tire size

Even without that info, get the middle of the road halfway decent new tires at walmart.   Newer DECENT tires will help resale.  Might be harder to resell if you have some brand of tires the buyer has never heard of.  

Hence, going "cheap" doesnt make much sense anyway.  

As for the talk about used tires, I have bought used tires in the past.  It's not a bad way to go if you are able to tell if the tires are ok.  If you do not have that ability, then stay away from the used tires.

Can you link me to some information whereby generic tires were responsible for an increased accident rate?   Look I'm pro safety but this really seems dramatic.  So i guess I'd like to know more
I think he just might be saying not to buy the cheapest possible crappy tires.  You also dont have to buy the top of the line, either.  Ask about deals also, sometimes you can get them installed free, which is a nice savings.  

Cheaper tires generally use lower grade rubber, and lack certain structural features that help performance and braking. One Australian study showed a “budget tire” brand took over 30ft longer to stop in wet weather. Badly worn good tires have similar issues. 

There are places to be cheap, brakes and tires aren’t one. If you want to save some money, don’t go with ####ty off brands, but at least get an baseline tire from a reputable manufacturer. 

Users who are viewing this thread