What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drafting in the MIDDLE strategy (1 Viewer)

joey

Footballguy
saw one of these for the turn and thought I'd start this thread since I sit at the 7 slot in my 1/2ppr, 12 team redraft league (NOT TE-mandatory)

From the mocks I've done, I've been feeling better about my results when I start RB/WR in 1/2, and then go either RB/WR or WR/RB at 3/4.

I like the RBs who are around the 5th and 6th rounds (like Johnson DET, Crowell., Lynch). Starting RBs for my 3rd and 4th RB slots is a good thing.

I also seem to be able to grab a Big Ben or Luck in the 7th or 8th round.

any other thoughts from folks who are drafting from the middle?

It is the Shark Pool. Nobody here is drafting from the middle. We are either drafting last because we won the title last year and that is how draft order is selected or we are drafting first because whatever competition was used to determine draft order, we dominated it. 

I am drafting 7th in my main league and this a tough area because of the level of decision.Often middle picks are catching the start of tiers.The 5 obvious best picks are gone so the middle people have to make a call between lots of players worthy of pick 6-9: Barkley, Kamara, Gordon, Fournette, Hunt, Nuk, OBJ, Julio. If I saw any of those guys taken 6-9, I wouldn't fault it. The guys picking at the back of the 1st might be lucky enough to get 2 of them. Then in the 2nd, I think middle rounders have to make another tricky choice between CMc, Howard, Freeman, Adams, Green, Evans, Gronk. That is a real difficult group to sort. In the 3rd, I tend to hope for Guice or Diggs. They both seem a bit risky but come with massive upside. 

Last edited by a moderator:
At 7, I often find myself preferring 3 RBs on the board. I don't think I really want to go 3 RBs (standard but 2 RB/3WR and no flex). However, I gind myself preferring Gordon or Barkley over OBJ/Nuk/Julio in the 1st. In the 2nd, I like Jordan over Green and Adams. I like Guice a ton and really think he's going to be a monster this year and be a 1st round pick in fantasy drafts next year. 

Is it really ideal to start 3RBs? Should I force myself to take WR somewhere there instead?

Anyone? The middle seems pretty tough to me this year. 
Because it is.  And it has everything to do with not knowing what will happen behind me.

If I pass on WR then 5 go before I pick again then I'm left with Gronk, Allen, or another RB.  If I choose the latter (McCaffrey or Freeman) then I basically need Hilton or a Vikings WR to fall to round 3, which is far from a sure thing.  

But if I pick WR round 1 then i'm still at the mercy of those behind me.  Doing so basically forces me into a RB round 2.  Which if it's McCaffrey or Freeman, that's cool.  I'm not as high on Howard, McKinnon, and Mixon as others though.  I really don't want any of them as my lead back, but kinda like the WR scenario above I am playing a dangerous game if I pass on them for Gronk or Allen.  Guice would be my guy, but as @Ilov80s said - risky.  Especially as my #1.

I'm hoping there is some adp clarity this month, so the path becomes clearer.  Since I have such a narrow field of round 3 (and 4) targets I really want to leave round 2 with one RB and one WR/Gronk, so all of them fit my roster well.  I think banking on one of them falling is reasonable, but beats me which one.  

The main thing is to be flexible, you don't know who will be left for you. It is great to say you'd like to start with a rb but in multiple FPC drafts I have been left with Antonio Brown at the 6th or 7th pick. It is TE premium and probably my favorite draft there I wound up Brown, Gronk, J Howard, Guice as my first 4. I expected none of those guys to be there at my picks and it wasn't my plan to go wr-te but I think you just have to be flexible and look for the value. Don't go in with a set plan by position

I will expect Gurley, Bell, Zeke, DJ, Kamara, and Brown to be off the board. To me, there's a drop-off from the top 5 RBs and Brown.   So 7 is tough spot, but you have options.  RB like Fournette or Hunt, or WR like Hopkins.  I would love to take Hopkins at 7 but that will assume that one of the top 10 RBs will be available with the 2.6 pick.  That probably won't happen in a 12 teamer.  So I would go RB like Fournette or Hunt and take the best WR at 2.6.  I would rather start with Fournette and a WR like Adams or Green as opposed to Hopkins and a RB like CMC or McKinnon.

Because it is.  And it has everything to do with not knowing what will happen behind me.

If I pass on WR then 5 go before I pick again then I'm left with Gronk, Allen, or another RB.  If I choose the latter (McCaffrey or Freeman) then I basically need Hilton or a Vikings WR to fall to round 3, which is far from a sure thing.  

But if I pick WR round 1 then i'm still at the mercy of those behind me.  Doing so basically forces me into a RB round 2.  Which if it's McCaffrey or Freeman, that's cool.  I'm not as high on Howard, McKinnon, and Mixon as others though.  I really don't want any of them as my lead back, but kinda like the WR scenario above I am playing a dangerous game if I pass on them for Gronk or Allen.  Guice would be my guy, but as @Ilov80s said - risky.  Especially as my #1.

I'm hoping there is some adp clarity this month, so the path becomes clearer.  Since I have such a narrow field of round 3 (and 4) targets I really want to leave round 2 with one RB and one WR/Gronk, so all of them fit my roster well.  I think banking on one of them falling is reasonable, but beats me which one.  
Great point and knowing your league is important. I've done some different mocks and best ball. The drafts have varied quite a bit after pick 5. I've seen some drafts where people are just savage for RB. If they are, you can get out in front of it from a middle spot (get a Barkley and Howard, or a Gordon and CMc, etc.) or you can potentially poach some steals at receiver (Hopkins, Thomas, Hilton). I've also been in some drafts where it was much more balanced and you got a lot of freedom to construct the roster as you please. 

Great stuff guys and I agree with everything said so far. 

Definitely feels like going RB and WR in the 1st 2 rounds keeps me flexible for what players might fall to me in the next couple of rounds. I personally like RB/WR at 1/2 as opposed to WR/RB, since I’m not in love with any of the RBs in the 2nd as my top dog. But the WRs there I’m fine with having as my #1 WR. And knowing (feeling) there is some nice value at RB in rounds 5 & 6 (at least looking at ADP right now) I’m thinking going WR in rounds 2, 3 and 4 might make the most sense, though the old school, Stud RB side of me "needs" to leave the 1st 4 rounds with 2 RBs. 

I cant see a scenario where I go QB earlier than round 6, though. Most likely in the 7th or 8th. I like the play of grabbing Luck in the 8th (though his ADP might move way up over this preseason if he finally looks healthy again) and then grabbing a known quantity like a Rivers shortly thereafter as insurance. 

Great stuff guys and I agree with everything said so far. 

Definitely feels like going RB and WR in the 1st 2 rounds keeps me flexible for what players might fall to me in the next couple of rounds. I personally like RB/WR at 1/2 as opposed to WR/RB, since I’m not in love with any of the RBs in the 2nd as my top dog. But the WRs there I’m fine with having as my #1 WR. And knowing (feeling) there is some nice value at RB in rounds 5 & 6 (at least looking at ADP right now) I’m thinking going WR in rounds 2, 3 and 4 might make the most sense, though the old school, Stud RB side of me "needs" to leave the 1st 4 rounds with 2 RBs. 

I cant see a scenario where I go QB earlier than round 6, though. Most likely in the 7th or 8th. I like the play of grabbing Luck in the 8th (though his ADP might move way up over this preseason if he finally looks healthy again) and then grabbing a known quantity like a Rivers shortly thereafter as insurance. 
Totally agree. Jordan Howard is the only guy left that I might be able to live with as my RB1. I think it somehow Antonio Brown fell to me, Howard is the guy I truth with RB1 role and I would really be aggressive in securing a RB2 as well. 

nudging this since I see us "7th overall pick" folks chiming in on other pick threads... :)
I am torn. On one hand, I love the idea of starting Gordon/Barkley and then Howard. In standard, I see those guys as two top 10 RBs with strong floors and ceilings. However, I almost prefer some of the RB depth in the 4th-6th round than I do the WR depth there. It is very tempting to try and start with something like Hopkins, Green, Baldwin and Ertz. 

I am torn. On one hand, I love the idea of starting Gordon/Barkley and then Howard. In standard, I see those guys as two top 10 RBs with strong floors and ceilings. However, I almost prefer some of the RB depth in the 4th-6th round than I do the WR depth there. It is very tempting to try and start with something like Hopkins, Green, Baldwin and Ertz. 
I also love the depth at RB in rounds 6-8 but not enough to pass on a "stud" RB at 1.7. But it does allow me the freedom to go RB/WR/WR/WR/RB/RB....or something like that, knowing I’ll be able to (hopefully) find a solid RB2, or RB2BC in rounds 5, 6, 7.

I also love the depth at RB in rounds 6-8 but not enough to pass on a "stud" RB at 1.7. But it does allow me the freedom to go RB/WR/WR/WR/RB/RB....or something like that, knowing I’ll be able to (hopefully) find a solid RB2, or RB2BC in rounds 5, 6, 7.
Yeah I’m ultimately going to go Gordon or Barkley at 7 but I really do think WR falls apart pretty quickly and in my league we have to start 3. It’s very tempting to load up and be able to potentially start three WR1s.

joey said:
heck no dont do that!! there are PLENTY of WRs to be had later on.guys like Gallup, Godwin, Goodwin, etf.. at #7 you're not getting the best RB, but you ARE getting the BEST WR outside of AB ..D. Hopkins. I wouldn't mess with OBJ he's a fruitcake headcase who can implode at any time..I'd consider Julio, Kennan Allen, etc..reason being, the tail end of round 1 is all WRs..the top 5 RBs are off the board.

I'm thinking it's best to go like Hopkins/Julio/Allen/AJ Green/M. Evans round 1/2, and for rounds 3,4,5 grab yourself Alex Collins, Peyton Barber, from the looks of it Carlos Hyde will last this long but be worth 2 spots higher , Peyton Barber..I think Lamar Smith has a lot left in the tank. his volume is what sets him apart.he's guaranteed 275+ carries.

if you're like me and you're a Giants' fan, nervous  like a cat on a hot tin roof with regards to Barkley's health, you could target Wayne Gallman late(r) and be sitting on a fairly decent RB if the Penn State RB curse surfaces yet again.

heck no dont do that!! there are PLENTY of WRs to be had later on.guys like Gallup, Godwin, Goodwin, etf.. at #7 you're not getting the best RB, but you ARE getting the BEST WR outside of AB ..D. Hopkins. I wouldn't mess with OBJ he's a fruitcake headcase who can implode at any time..I'd consider Julio, Kennan Allen, etc..reason being, the tail end of round 1 is all WRs..the top 5 RBs are off the board.

I'm thinking it's best to go like Hopkins/Julio/Allen/AJ Green/M. Evans round 1/2, and for rounds 3,4,5 grab yourself Alex Collins, Peyton Barber, from the looks of it Carlos Hyde will last this long but be worth 2 spots higher , Peyton Barber..I think Lamar Smith has a lot left in the tank. his volume is what sets him apart.he's guaranteed 275+ carries.

if you're like me and you're a Giants' fan, nervous  like a cat on a hot tin roof with regards to Barkley's health, you could target Wayne Gallman late(r) and be sitting on a fairly decent RB if the Penn State RB curse surfaces yet again.

I'm in half PPR so I’m  Kamara or Gordon over a WR there since I’m happy coming back and grabbing a 2nd round WR. 

I most likely see myself alternating RB and WR the first 4 rounds, but have tried mocking it RB/WR/WR/WR/RB/RB. It’s a start-3-WR league, and non-TE-mandatory so it’s not a crazy way to start. We just went 1/2 PPR so that is a new wrinkle for me. 

Either way, can’t wait til my draft on Tuesday!

Goodwin currently has an ADP in round 5. Gallup is a rookie on a bad passing offense, I would not feel comfortable having him as a starter in a 10-14 team league. The OBJ comments don't really make sense. He is a fiery guy, but he has been suspended 1 game for it. I don't see why anyone would avoid him over that. His 16 game average over his career is 1500 and 13. I really like Hopkins this year but his 16 game average is 1200 and 7. I wouldn't dismiss OBJ just because you don't like his personality for some reason. 

Also Barber's current ADP is the last pick of round 8 so I think you can wait more on him. 

Goodwin currently has an ADP in round 5. Gallup is a rookie on a bad passing offense, I would not feel comfortable having him as a starter in a 10-14 team league. The OBJ comments don't really make sense. He is a fiery guy, but he has been suspended 1 game for it. I don't see why anyone would avoid him over that. His 16 game average over his career is 1500 and 13. I really like Hopkins this year but his 16 game average is 1200 and 7. I wouldn't dismiss OBJ just because you don't like his personality for some reason. 

Also Barber's current ADP is the last pick of round 8 so I think you can wait more on him. 
I saw in the Drake thread that you drafted already for the 7 spot (or was it the 8th?) 

care to share your first few rounds here? 

I draft at 7 tonight so will report back how it goes.  I have Kamara as a keeper so am way ahead of the game already.  I'm still likely going to choose between Fournette, Gordon, Hunt or even CMC (its full PPR).  We are TE mandatory so maybe Gronk in the 2nd or an Adams, etc.  But as already mentioned who knows what the maniacs in my league will do.  Gotta be flexible...

Totally agree. Jordan Howard is the only guy left that I might be able to live with as my RB1. I think it somehow Antonio Brown fell to me, Howard is the guy I truth with RB1 role and I would really be aggressive in securing a RB2 as well. 
Howard went 2.2 in our draft last night. Only RB who slipped was McCoy. Collins abd Henry gone early 3rd. WR’s slipped. Brown went 1.9, Hopkins 2.4 and I got Julio at 2.5

I love the middle this year. Had our draft this morning. Couple caveats - we start 3 WRs 2 RB TE and a W/R/T Flex so it's 10 starters instead of the usual 9, and it's full PPR.

1.07 AB - bit of a surprise, I knew the Giants homer would take Barkley at 1.04 but didn't anticipate the guy in front of me opting for Hopkins. Could have also taken Kamara but I've owned Antonio in the past and hey, I'm a #chip4life

2.06 Cook - definitely thought long and hard about CMac here

3.07 T.Y. - Diggs & Amari went right before him, was the BPA

4.06 Tate - bit early but he wasn't coming back to me, and in our format three solid WRs is gold

5.07 Jeffrey - probably the only pick I am truly second guessing, could have locked up Drake as my RB2 but opted to fill the flex

6.06 Olsen - bit of a risk given his age, but last year TE was a disaster for me (led the league in pts/2nd overall/3rd place in playoffs) & didn't want to stream

7.07 Wentz - another that's a bit early but I'm a believer in small reaches to get guys you want. Cousins & Stafford went earlier in the round.

8.06 Hyde - X spurts say this is a bit early but he's a solid performer IMO. Probably my weak link but the cupboard was bare at RB after this one.

9.07 Kerryon Johnson - I probably did 50 mocks and never took this guy, but I guess I was not 100% confident with my previous round pick. Crowell & Chubb went after him.

10.06 Cohen - wanted Golladay here but got sniped.

11.07 DEN - go ahead and snicker. I did defense by committee for years, but rode the Ravens last year.

12.06 Mike Williams - seems like insane value if he becomes a RZ threat this year.

13.07 Lutz - had no intention of going K this early but was surprised he was still there, owned him last year. Comfort pick.

14.06 Ebron - whatever.

15.07 Dede Westbrook - could not believe he was still here, especially the night after Lee gets carted off.

16.06 Geronimo - Packers WR3 in the last round is kind of nuts.

Drafted at 8 last night. 10 team ppr with big play bonus. Have Kamara, Michael Thomas, Derrick Henry, Burkhead and Kelce as my pertinent keepers. 

1. CMC - I think he’ll finish top 3

2. Hill - With our big play bonus had to do it - took him ahead of Adams, Green and Evans

3. TY - wanted Fitz here but I’m ok with TY as long as Luck is healthy

4. Goodwin - A little high but I have my 3 starters and didn’t like what was available

5. Lynch - Was hoping Freeman would keep falling but he didn’t - I like Lynch as my RB4

other notables 16. Barber 21. ADP

Just found out drafting at 6th in about half an hour. Standard league. I'll report back once its done but early thoughts are that I'm likely gonna go with Fournette, if the expected people come off the board. 

Drafted at 8 last night. 10 team ppr with big play bonus. Have Kamara, Michael Thomas, Derrick Henry, Burkhead and Kelce as my pertinent keepers. 

1. CMC - I think he’ll finish top 3

2. Hill - With our big play bonus had to do it - took him ahead of Adams, Green and Evans

3. TY - wanted Fitz here but I’m ok with TY as long as Luck is healthy

4. Goodwin - A little high but I have my 3 starters and didn’t like what was available

5. Lynch - Was hoping Freeman would keep falling but he didn’t - I like Lynch as my RB4

other notables 16. Barber 21. ADP
can you post your whole draft of you don't mind?

edit - to clarify I am asking for just your picks 

can you post your whole draft of you don't mind?
Here ya go. We can keep a total of 8 players. PPR. Start 1 DL, 3 LB, 2 DB. 

1. CMC RB

2. Hill WR

3. Hilton WR

4. Goodwin WR

5. Lynch RB

6. CJ Mosley LB

7. M. Thomas WR (keeper)

8. Kelce TE (keeper)

9. Roethlisberger QB - was expecting Rivers here but couldn’t pass on Ben

10.  K. Cole WR

11.  Guice RB (Will keep him and he’ll carry over to 11 next year)

12.  Henry RB (keeper)

13. Winston QB

14. C. Jones DL

15. T. Edmunds LB

16. Barber RB

17. Doyle TE

18. Burkhead RB (keeper)

19.  Hogan WR (keeper - traded him and Ross for Landry and extra pick cuz I didn’t have a legal roster and needed another defensive player)

20.  M. Lee WR (keeper)

21. ADP RB

22. Ross WR (traded)

28.  Kamara (keeper)

29. Richardson (keeper)

Draft was 34 rounds. Rest is just defense and kickers. 

Starters:

QB: Roethlisberger, Winston, Bortles

RB: Kamara, CMC, Henry, Lynch, Burkhead, Barber, ADP

WR: M Thomas, Hill, TY, Goodwin, Landry,  Cole, P Richardson

TE: Kelce, Doyle

Pretty happy with it. Missed out on some young guys I wanted to keep like Sutton, Miller, Washington. 

Just finished. Not fully sure, felt like players were being sniped right left and centre just in front of me but still relatively happy. Standard, 12 team league..

1. D Johnson - surprisingly fell, had to take

2. D Adams - WRs I wanted taken just ahead, was best left 

3. A Collins - thought more chance a decent 2nd WR falls to me in fourth

4. S Diggs - very happy with this

5. B Cooks - felt like good value, could give me big ceiling potential each week with Adams and Diggs

6. R Burkhead - decent 3rd RB, could be good at the price

7. C Hyde - good value here I think 

8. J Reed - risky pick but if it works out then the upside is huge 

9. K Benjamin - should be main target in Buffalo

10. J Crowder 

11. C Clement 

12. B Roethlisberger - and even still had the likes of Ryan, Rivers, Smith to choose from here 

13. K Golladay 

14. J Williams - let’s see if he gets play with Ingram out 

15. R Kelley - meh 

Didn’t bother drafting a kicker or team defence, I’ll hang fire to see if there’s any more info on the players I picked, or some on the waiver then drop for both just before seasons starts 

I picked at 6th earlier this week, 12 teams, half ppr. Went rb early and am quite happy with the results.

1.6 Gordon rb

2.7 Howard rb

3.6 Fitz wr

4.7 Ingram rb

5.6 Landry wr

6.7 Crabtree wr

7.6 Fuller wr

8.7 Duke rb

9.6 Aaron jones rb

10.7 Stafford qb

11.6 Roethlisberger qb

12.7 Lockett wr

13.6 Desean wr

14.7 Engram te (keeper)

15.6 KC D

16.7 Elliott k

Considering i waited on wr, very happy with my wr corps overall (baldwin went the pick b4 i took fitz which i cussed about). Generally wrs go earlier than adp in this league so i was ecstatic to get landry, crabs, fuller where i did. Probably dropping d-jax in the next few days for a backup TE since engram got a concussion.

Just finished. Not fully sure, felt like players were being sniped right left and centre just in front of me but still relatively happy. Standard, 12 team league..

1. D Johnson - surprisingly fell, had to take

2. D Adams - WRs I wanted taken just ahead, was best left 

3. A Collins - thought more chance a decent 2nd WR falls to me in fourth

4. S Diggs - very happy with this

5. B Cooks - felt like good value, could give me big ceiling potential each week with Adams and Diggs

6. R Burkhead - decent 3rd RB, could be good at the price

I picked at 6th earlier this week, 12 teams, half ppr. Went rb early and am quite happy with the results.

1.6 Gordon rb

2.7 Howard rb

3.6 Fitz wr

4.7 Ingram rb

5.6 Landry wr

6.7 Crabtree wr

7.6 Fuller wr

8.7 Duke rb

9.6 Aaron jones rb

10.7 Stafford qb

11.6 Roethlisberger qb

12.7 Lockett wr

13.6 Desean wr

14.7 Engram te (keeper)

15.6 KC D

16.7 Elliott k

Liking both of these from the middle slots. Nice work. 

I'm picking 7th in a 12 team ppr (very) slow draft, but here are picks so far
1 Gordon
2 Freeman
3 Evans
4 Thielen
5 Ingram
6 Tate
7 Crowell
8 Rudolph (wanted Wentz here; went earlier in the 8th; people are really waiting on qb, Probably will take best available next round)

I'm picking 7th in a 12 team ppr (very) slow draft, but here are picks so far
1 Gordon
2 Freeman
3 Evans
4 Thielen
5 Ingram
6 Tate
7 Crowell
8 Rudolph (wanted Wentz here; went earlier in the 8th; people are really waiting on qb, Probably will take best available next round)
how did they go off the board 1.01-1.06?

If I end up getting a mid 1st round pick in my draft next week, I'm definitely going RB/RB for the first two rounds.

The drop off in production is steep from the 2nd round RBs such as Howard/Cook/CMC and Freeman compared to the ones you are looking at in the 3rd round one such as McKinnon, McCoy, Mixon and Collins. Plus there's always more value in WRs as the drafts go on.

Barkley/Howard/Hill>>> Barkley/Evans/McKinnon. 

Fantasy football has moved away from the RB/RB strategy in recent years but when you look at the amount of RBBC majority of teams use, having a running back that you know will be a focal point of their offense is extremely important. If a great drops WR drops to me in the 2nd round I may reconsider it and take the value there but other then that I'm sticking RB/RB.

Drafted from the 7 last night in my 12 team league, 0.5ppr, QB,RB,RB,Rec,Rec,Rec,K,D (ie. non-TE-mandatory)

im pretty happy with the results...

AKamara, KAllen, ACollins, GTate, DThomas, ICrowell, BigBen, KJohnzon, JaxD, KBenjamin, ASmith, CRidley, CBoswell, JRoss

first 4 rounds went just as I expected so, like most of the mocks i felt best about, I ended up going RB/WR/RB/WR. There wasn’t really a moment that tested me in those first 4 rounds where a player at another position dropped so far that I had to stray from my plan. In the 4th/5th round, though, that next level of RBs started flying off the board, which made me go for my WR3 before my backup RB in the 5th. When I took Crowell in the 6th I still got some ribbing that it was too early for him (I don’t agree) but I was happy that KJohnson was there for me in the 8th.

QB in the 7th was earlier than I hoped but QBs we’re starting to really go and I had Ben as the last of the top 6 tier of QBs, so I went for it, and then 5 QBs went right after my pick, so I feel good about getting the guy I wanted.

JaxD in the 9th was higher than I planned on taking a D, but when you’re staring at the DParker/KBenjamin/Garcon tier of WR and DukeJ/Booker/Ivory tier of RBs, they all are uninspiring and look the same, so I decided to try to go with a D that could make a difference this year. 

The rest of my draft I can churn on the waiver wire without remorse if something better comes along. 

And there you have it. 

I drafted from the 7 in a ppr 3rr( The number 12 team picks first in the third) NFFC league. I was not as organized as I should have been so I kind of winged it. I feel like this is a boom or bust team. I picked some players way early. I'll be better prepared next time.

1) S Barkley....I couldn't resist. My gut told me to take Fournette. I think Barkley could get off to a slow start after missing time. I feel at worst he will be a bigger and more explosive C-Mac.

2) D Cook......I couldn't resist...I do fear the injury and Murray vulturing TD's. He will also probably get off to a slow start.

3) Diggs...I don't love having guy's on the same team but he was the best receiver on the board.

4) K Drake.....I like going RB early and often. I like the gamble here with two studs already in place.

5) Jimmy Graham.....I didn't love the WR's here and I really like Graham this year. 

6) Jamal Williams....I should have picked Lynch I think. At the time I wanted a piece of the GB back field so the plan was to get Aaron Jones later. I don't see a lot of upside here since GB throws so much in the red zone. 

I don't remember the exact order of the rest of the draft. I did get Aaron Jones...I couldn't resist picking J Reed(He had surgery to fix toe problem. If he balls out I can use him at flex and he will be nice depth. I also keep him from another team. He's one of those guy's who could be a league winner.

My receivers are very thin but I love the upside....

Kenny Stills....He has produced with Jarvis. He could be big without.

Chris Godwin....I'm hearing lots of good chatter

Michael Gallup....Dart throw but legit chance to be decent

C Sutton...Should be involved and tons of hype.

D Moncrief....Could be a sneaky good pick

C Beasley...My 20th and last pick...Maybe Dack leans on him with Witten gone. If my upside guy's don't pan out I can plug him in for a few points a week.

I grabbed Cam Newton in the 6th or 7th. The offensive line may suck but he has tons of weapons and I think Norv Turner may do him some good. Plus he always finishes near the top.

I’ve drafted in the middle so many times it’s silly. I used to get 6-7-8 every year. 

My strategy doesn’t really change - best available every round. 

This year I’d target RB1, knowing one of Thomas, Adams or Allen likely makes it back to me. And if they don’t, Freeman or Mixon or one of the other 2/3 tier RBs will. 

But at those spots flexibility is always the key to success. Be the stopper. If value falls t you (and at those spots it *always* does) be ready to change plans to take advantage.

be the stopper. Make it your mission to snag every value that falls to you. Be zen - let the draft come to you. This ensures that you build your most competitive lineup, and that you prevent the teams at the top from getting those value picks. 

I drafted from the 7 in a ppr 3rr( The number 12 team picks first in the third) NFFC league. I was not as organized as I should have been so I kind of winged it. I feel like this is a boom or bust team. I picked some players way early. I'll be better prepared next time.

1) S Barkley....I couldn't resist. My gut told me to take Fournette. I think Barkley could get off to a slow start after missing time. I feel at worst he will be a bigger and more explosive C-Mac.

2) D Cook......I couldn't resist...I do fear the injury and Murray vulturing TD's. He will also probably get off to a slow start.

3) Diggs...I don't love having guy's on the same team but he was the best receiver on the board.

4) K Drake.....I like going RB early and often. I like the gamble here with two studs already in place.

5) Jimmy Graham.....I didn't love the WR's here and I really like Graham this year. 

6) Jamal Williams....I should have picked Lynch I think. At the time I wanted a piece of the GB back field so the plan was to get Aaron Jones later. I don't see a lot of upside here since GB throws so much in the red zone. 

I don't remember the exact order of the rest of the draft. I did get Aaron Jones...I couldn't resist picking J Reed(He had surgery to fix toe problem. If he balls out I can use him at flex and he will be nice depth. I also keep him from another team. He's one of those guy's who could be a league winner.

My receivers are very thin but I love the upside....

Kenny Stills....He has produced with Jarvis. He could be big without.

Chris Godwin....I'm hearing lots of good chatter

Michael Gallup....Dart throw but legit chance to be decent

C Sutton...Should be involved and tons of hype.

D Moncrief....Could be a sneaky good pick

C Beasley...My 20th and last pick...Maybe Dack leans on him with Witten gone. If my upside guy's don't pan out I can plug him in for a few points a week.

I grabbed Cam Newton in the 6th or 7th. The offensive line may suck but he has tons of weapons and I think Norv Turner may do him some good. Plus he always finishes near the top.
yeesh. I love me some RBs too, but I don't like how much you waited on drafting WRs. I'm in start 3 WR leagues, though, so maybe this is only start 2?

6th round seems like a great place to grab another WR instead of Williams imo.

I also don't love Diggs as a #1 WR, which is why I've prefered my mocks where I've gone RB/WR/RB/WR since I thought the value fell nicely in each round such that my RB in the 3rd wasn't that much worse than who I would've taken in the 2nd. And look above at post of my actual draft and I think things fell my way quite nicely. (#humblebrag)

I’ve drafted in the middle so many times it’s silly. I used to get 6-7-8 every year. 

My strategy doesn’t really change - best available every round. 

This year I’d target RB1, knowing one of Thomas, Adams or Allen likely makes it back to me. And if they don’t, Freeman or Mixon or one of the other 2/3 tier RBs will. 

But at those spots flexibility is always the key to success. Be the stopper. If value falls t you (and at those spots it *always* does) be ready to change plans to take advantage.

be the stopper. Make it your mission to snag every value that falls to you. Be zen - let the draft come to you. This ensures that you build your most competitive lineup, and that you prevent the teams at the top from getting those value picks. 
totally agree. Even though I've said in multiple posts in this and other threads that my plan from the 7 slot was to go RB/WR/RB/WR in the 1st 4 rounds, I was always prepared to change that up if someone from an upper tier unexpectedly fell to me in a round. Examples: I would've gone A Brown if he fell to me in the 1st. I would've gone J Howard if he fell to me in the 3rd. We all have those kind of "if/then" logic in our heads where we see critical tier drop off and then have to zig instead of zag.

Kinda like my JaxD pick in the 9th I posted about above. When I'm looking at a wall of WR and RB names in the 9th that all look exactly the same, I decided to take the #1 D from the very top of the pile, instead of take one of those WRs or RBs when I knew some of them would be there waiting for me at the next pick and the dropoff between those options was non-existent imo.

totally agree. Even though I've said in multiple posts in this and other threads that my plan from the 7 slot was to go RB/WR/RB/WR in the 1st 4 rounds, I was always prepared to change that up if someone from an upper tier unexpectedly fell to me in a round. Examples: I would've gone A Brown if he fell to me in the 1st. I would've gone J Howard if he fell to me in the 3rd. We all have those kind of "if/then" logic in our heads where we see critical tier drop off and then have to zig instead of zag.

Kinda like my JaxD pick in the 9th I posted about above. When I'm looking at a wall of WR and RB names in the 9th that all look exactly the same, I decided to take the #1 D from the very top of the pile, instead of take one of those WRs or RBs when I knew some of them would be there waiting for me at the next pick and the dropoff between those options was non-existent imo.
I probably wouldn’t have gone that route but a lot of folks are this year.

defense production changes so much year to year it’s tough to predict. There’s a lot of value in the 9th at TE, RB3, WR3... 

but if that’s what you wanted there I won’t fault you for doing it. 

I probably wouldn’t have gone that route but a lot of folks are this year.

defense production changes so much year to year it’s tough to predict. There’s a lot of value in the 9th at TE, RB3, WR3... 

but if that’s what you wanted there I won’t fault you for doing it. 
Non-TE-mandatory league. Already had RB3 and RB4 in Crowell and KJohnson, my starting 3 WRs, and my starting QB. I was looking at RB5 and WR4 candidates That had either no separation in my mind, or I felt would be available at my next picks, so I went "best D" (which started a run on D, coincidentally, right after which is pretty easy to do when you draft from the middle, I find). Anyway, that was my rationale in the 9th round. 

Non-TE-mandatory league. Already had RB3 and RB4 in Crowell and KJohnson, my starting 3 WRs, and my starting QB. I was looking at RB5 and WR4 candidates That had either no separation in my mind, or I felt would be available at my next picks, so I went "best D" (which started a run on D, coincidentally, right after which is pretty easy to do when you draft from the middle, I find). Anyway, that was my rationale in the 9th round. 
I think if you started a run on D than it worked out for you.  While there is some value in the 9th, there's 75% junk too.

I’m picking 9th in a 14 team PPR league on Friday. Fully expecting to have the top 6RBs gone, plus Brown and probably Nuk gone, so I’m trying to decide between Fournette (RB7) or Julio/OBJ (WR3) at 1.09. Im targeting Gronk at 2.06, since the LF/Gordon/Hunt/Cook/CMC tier will all be gone for sure and the best WR I’d see would probably be Adams or Green. 

Would love to see other people’s teams after taking Gronk in the 2nd, especially in 12 or 14 team leagues. 

I think if you started a run on D than it worked out for you.  While there is some value in the 9th, there's 75% junk too.
Exactly. I was staring at utter junk in the 9th so went clear top tier D instead...and I was staring at almost the exact same junk a round later. :)  

Exactly. I was staring at utter junk in the 9th so went clear top tier D instead...and I was staring at almost the exact same junk a round later. :)  
Sometimes the junk you get later is worse than the junk you were looking at before.

in the 9th of both my leagues I got Peyton Barber. A likely starting RB.

other “junk” might include a valuable RBBC guy, WR3-4 or even a 2nd QB that would give you trade bait for a team that took a D/ST & let that value slide to you. 

I am of the firm belief that you don’t win or lose a draft in the 1st 3 rounds. You win or lose a draft by making value picks in the 7-12 rounds. Those are the picks that give you lottery tickets, sleepers or even just depth at positions so you’re stronger during the BYE weeks.

ill never be convinced that it’s a good play to take a D/ST in the 9th. But like I said, each to their own.  

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Sometimes the junk you get later is worse than the junk you were looking at before.

in the 9th of both my leagues I got Peyton Barber. A likely starting RB.

other “junk” might include a valuable RBBC guy, WR3-4 or even a 2nd QB that would give you trade bait for a team that took a D/ST & let that value slide to you. 

I am of the firm belief that you don’t win or lose a draft in the 1st 3 rounds. You win or lose a draft by making value picks in the 7-12 rounds. Those are the picks that give you lottery tickets, sleepers or even just depth at positions so you’re stronger during the BYE weeks.

ill never be convinced that it’s a good play to take a D/ST in the 9th. But like I said, each to their own.  
Barber gone in the 8th or I would’ve slam dunk taken him at 9.7. 

Took Big Ben in the 8th and didn’t feel the need to go QB2 at 9.7 as remaining options all looked the same to me (I got my next highest ranked QB, Alex Smith, anyway at 11.7. 

WR options were Stills, Parker, Garcon, Benjamin, Shepard. All looked similar enough to me that I was willing to see who fell to me in the 10th. 

RB options were ADP, RJones, JWhite, Booker, Clement, Bernard. Again, all looked similarly uninspiring to me. 

So, decided to go unanimous #1 D there even though I know they might not end up #1 (which can be said for all draft picks)

not trying to seem defensive. Just spelling out my thought process with what was actually in front of me in the draft, and not based on theoretical ADP lists. I really appreciate the back and forth as it’s fun to relive and rehash the draft since it’s over so fast! :)

Barber gone in the 8th or I would’ve slam dunk taken him at 9.7. 

Took Big Ben in the 8th and didn’t feel the need to go QB2 at 9.7 as remaining options all looked the same to me (I got my next highest ranked QB, Alex Smith, anyway at 11.7. 

WR options were Stills, Parker, Garcon, Benjamin, Shepard. All looked similar enough to me that I was willing to see who fell to me in the 10th. 

RB options were ADP, RJones, JWhite, Booker, Clement, Bernard. Again, all looked similarly uninspiring to me. 

So, decided to go unanimous #1 D there even though I know they might not end up #1 (which can be said for all draft picks)

not trying to seem defensive. Just spelling out my thought process with what was actually in front of me in the draft, and not based on theoretical ADP lists. I really appreciate the back and forth as it’s fun to relive and rehash the draft since it’s over so fast! :)
It’s just a philosophy discussion - no worries. You’ve got yours, I’ve got mine - no one is right or wrong, we just do what we think is right in the moment.  :hifive:

It’s just a philosophy discussion - no worries. You’ve got yours, I’ve got mine - no one is right or wrong, we just do what we think is right in the moment.  :hifive:
Gotta say I 99% agree with your take that I took D too early. I have only done this probably once or twice over the past 15 years, and that year I did this same team, the Top D ended up tanking. It was a horrible year for me that year. 

But this year year will be totally different! ;)  

Users who are viewing this thread