What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Safety's who will spend some time at LB? (1 Viewer)

griffin6687

Footballguy
Which S do you feel will get some time at LB. My leagues tackle heavy and thought it might be a good idea to get a list of Safeties who will get some snaps at LB.  

Keith Butler hints at potential hybrid role for Morgan Burnett in Steelers defense

The Pittsburgh Steelers have some very versatile safeties, and Keith Butler is still working out his plan for how his defense will run in 2018.

By Jeff.Hartman@BnGBlitz Aug 6, 2018,

My focus is typically in dynasty terms, but you might want to take a look at Kyzir White.  Local radio is chatting him up big time as a guy who will be one of those hybrids.

My focus is typically in dynasty terms, but you might want to take a look at Kyzir White.  Local radio is chatting him up big time as a guy who will be one of those hybrids.
White's already a LB on MFL though, so no bonus LB scoring from a S starter.

What's everyone's thoughts on Kaquiski Tartt this season? Seems a bit lower on most rankings than where he could finish. 

What's everyone's thoughts on Kaquiski Tartt this season? Seems a bit lower on most rankings than where he could finish. 
I was high on him for many years, but he’s never managed to combine health, talent and scheme fit to become fantasy relevant.

I still hold out hope that he”ll get a playing time volume and positional usage suited to the elite fantasy season his talent makes him capable of, but I understand dropping him in rankings until that happens.

I've had some great luck with this, including one year I had Mark Barron and Deone as my starting S for a season.  Still makes other owners angry (I think even if I didn't bring it up every year, which I do-repeatedly :lol: ).

I've had some Daniel Sorensen luck off and on as well recently.

But it's kind of like looking for that CB that returns kicks and punts.  Really great, but they aren't ALWAYS there.  Don't force it.  

Recently, we are seeing these Buchanon-sized guys get converted to LB right out of college.  This year it was Oren Burks, Kenny Young, Kyzir White.  Reeves-Maybin, Jayon Brown, Dorian O'Daniel.....lotta guys that might have been converted to SS back in the day, were undersized LB in college, and are being seen as coverage LB in the NFL--which is ahop skip and a jump to 3 down work.

I don't think the move is looking for the next Mark Barron at S, it's looking for the next Telvin Smith at LB.  

Having said that, the PIT S group seems to be the best bet.  Good luck figuring it out.  Watch all the preseason games, search all three guys on Twitter, and you'll have a decent idea--maybe.

I took Terrell Edmunds, he was super late in my draft, and is clearly not a deep safety.  But he might get buried behind Davis or Burnett.  Pitt also might have enough opportunity for two decent fantasy S.  In general though, I don't want to carry a ton of safeties, and there are too many clear starters with tackle opportunities in the NFL. You can make a strong argument for avoiding PIT situation.

Killebrew has been as disappointing as Geathers but he hasn't had sever injury issues that interfered with growth. He looked good in limited action but seemed to be benched completely as the season wore on last year. With him "seeing time with LBs" in practice it's certainly a worthwhile stash if you have space, though. 

From the moment he got to DET, I don't remember reading anything positive of note about Killebrew.  

He was on that hybrid radar, but at some point, you gotta create some buzz.  

Killebrew smells like one of those IDP rookie draft darlings who hasn't earned any hype.

Killebrew has been as disappointing as Geathers but he hasn't had sever injury issues that interfered with growth. He looked good in limited action but seemed to be benched completely as the season wore on last year. With him "seeing time with LBs" in practice it's certainly a worthwhile stash if you have space, though. 
In the games I have watched Killebrew stood out as being all over the place but I didn't watch many games and when I would go to box scores to follow up he didn't get many snaps.  It surprised me.  The eye test for me was very good but he doesn't seem to be given consistent enough play time to make him relevant.  Maybe the new coaching staff gives him the shot. 

In the games I have watched Killebrew stood out as being all over the place but I didn't watch many games and when I would go to box scores to follow up he didn't get many snaps.  It surprised me.  The eye test for me was very good but he doesn't seem to be given consistent enough play time to make him relevant.  Maybe the new coaching staff gives him the shot. 
That's the key, especially if it's with him getting snaps in a new role.

I took Terrell Edmunds, he was super late in my draft, and is clearly not a deep safety.  But he might get buried behind Davis or Burnett.  Pitt also might have enough opportunity for two decent fantasy S.  In general though, I don't want to carry a ton of safeties, and there are too many clear starters with tackle opportunities in the NFL. You can make a strong argument for avoiding PIT situation.
The good news is he  has been promoted on the depth chart.

The bad news he is out on the field and the results are not good so far.

STEELERS NEWSTerrell Edmunds The Worst-Graded 1st-Rounder So Far This Year By PFF

...given an overall preseason grade to date of 38.3, the site says of Edmunds that he “has played 73 of his team’s 130 snaps so far this preseason and has been a useful asset to the run defense, where he ’s produced one tackle and a defensive stop on his 22 run defense snaps”. In spite of that, he “has yet to find his feet in coverage and has allowed seven receptions for 69 yards and two touchdowns from just eight targets in primary coverage”.

If you do scale it back and take a hard look at his results, you do see the negative grading. In the last preseason game alone, he gave up two touchdowns inside the red zone, missed a tackle at the line of scrimmage on a pass into the flat that allowed a 15-yard gain, and got lost on a pick that allowed a 14-yard gain on a basic crossing pattern. He hasn’t really made any impactful plays yet, either.

...The Steelers have essentially already been using him in practice and in games as their number three safety, but that move was confirmed in their most recent official depth chart, now seeing him as a second-team participant behind starters Morgan Burnett and Sean Davis. He started against the Packers with Davis nursing an injury.

Morgan Burnett.
From rotoworld....

Burnett is expected to open the regular season as the backup strong safety behind rookie Terrell Edmunds, Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

Analysis: Burnett signed with the Steelers back in March and found himself in a battle with Edmunds for the starting strong safety spot after the rookie was drafted. Despite being a veteran with a solid track record, Burnett is now expected to open the regular season as Edmunds' backup in the secondary. Burnett, however, still should see a decent number of snaps to open up the season, as the position battle likely isn't completely over.

I think the Steelers will primarily be in a nickle, which they do a ton of (more then anyone) and Burnett will be a Hybrid LB/S with Edmunds in the more traditional safety spot.

I think the Steelers will primarily be in a nickle, which they do a ton of (more then anyone) and Burnett will be a Hybrid LB/S with Edmunds in the more traditional safety spot.
I only caught highlights, but with the game in a swamp they likely were loading up against the run allowing the wind to be another pass defender.  How much was he on the field?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kentrell Bryce (s-GB) had a nice little game last night. Flowed to the ball very well and did great helping stop the run. Anybody have snap counts or thoughts on him?  I know he was the better looking safety all through camp and favored to win SS spot. 

Edit it to add he played all 70 defensive snaps and looks to have been strong safety. https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/by-the-numbers/2018/9/10/17840838/packers-snap-counts-week-1-green-bay-rolls-with-3-wrs-and-6-dbs-all-game-long
Brice was filling in for Jones, right? Not sure of the long-term value there if that is the case.

No, Brice is the starter from everything I read during August.  

*I play in a 24 teamer with 53 man rosters and IR spots.  So the deepest of depth is valuable.

Brice was filling in for Jones, right? Not sure of the long-term value there if that is the case.
From what I have read he isn’t filling in for Jones..he beat him out for that slot during camp and offseason. Norton had that in his preseason week 3 Eyes of the Guru article too 

https://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=2018-eyes-guru-preseason-wk3

Jones was inactive w ankle injury so maybe it’s more of a timeshare going forward but we will have to monitor. 

dnurk said:
From what I have read he isn’t filling in for Jones..he beat him out for that slot during camp and offseason. Norton had that in his preseason week 3 Eyes of the Guru article too 

https://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=2018-eyes-guru-preseason-wk3

Jones was inactive w ankle injury so maybe it’s more of a timeshare going forward but we will have to monitor. 
Meh. I think Brice played well enough last night to earn the starter designation. Jones was talked about as the incumbent despite the offseason. Injuries create opportunities. As a Jones owner, I was following his situation but there wasn't a ton of chatter in the offseason (which is likely not a good thing).

By all accounts Brice was ahead of Jones on the depth chart the entirety of training camp.

The legend that is Jones (based upon draft pedigree and physical measurables) has been largely overstated. He certainly had one huge game last season statistically and showed flashes, but overall the grades were not positive. Way too early to give up on him, but early returns are he is a much better athlete than football player.

According to some Josh Jackson, the phenom 2nd round cover-corner with great size and used to be a college WR, was playing a safety type position for Green Bay more than a CB position Sunday night.

*and this is both HaHa Clinton-Dix and Kentrell Brice's last year under contract.  Though Brice will be a RFA.

Users who are viewing this thread