What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hall of Fame to consider drastic rule change (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
Proving that it learned exactly nothing from the entire Terrell Owens debacle of this past weekend, the Pro Football Hall of Fame is reportedly considering requiring inductees to attend their own enshrinement ceremony as a condition for admission.

This is a terrible idea. Let’s explain why.

Terrell Owens’ unforgivable sin

Owens, who is at worst the third-best receiver in the history of the NFL, needed three attempts to get into the Hall of Fame. Meanwhile, Randy Moss — Owens’ equal — vaulted in on his first. The explanation? There is none, except for the obvious: voters don’t like Owens as a person, regardless of his accomplishments.

“They overlooked my body of work, my accomplishments,” Owens said Saturday. “I wouldn’t be here today if they adhered by the bylaws.”

Rather than play by Canton’s rules, Owens instead held his own Hall of Fame ceremony, a well-attended spectacle of honor and, yes, humility in Chattanooga. He spoke on his own behalf, and he laughed as speakers mocked and chided him. It was, in short, a tribute to a remarkable career, on Owens’ own terms … and the Hall of Fame apparently hated it.

“I’m not going to do a dog and pony show and smile at people’s faces and be fake,” Owens said. “People bought into what the media told them and I’m not that guy, so I had to harbor all these feelings all these years, and this is the way I wanted to do it.”

The Hall of Fame’s absurd response

In the wake of T.O.’s well-covered snub, the Hall is apparently considering a requirement that anyone who wants in has to show up for their induction ceremony. (Presumably this excludes postmortem inductees, but you never know.) “Per multiple sources,” Pro Football Talk writes, “the Hall of Fame currently is considering a requirement that candidates for enshrinement commit to showing up for the Hall of Fame enshrinement ceremony before the selection committee makes its final choices.”

Does anyone really think this rule will be put in place?

The plan, according to one PFT source: require each of the 25 semifinalists to sign a document certifying they will attend if invited. Anyone who doesn’t sign the document wouldn’t be one of the 15 finalists, and thus wouldn’t even come up for a vote. The problems with this are countless, but let’s start with the most obvious: it’s a total violation of the Hall’s own rules.

The Hall of Fame takes great pains to indicate that its criteria for admission are on-field performance and nothing else. It’s why Peter King got in trouble for even hinting that Darren Sharper could be a Hall of Fame candidate despite a grotesque and lengthy criminal record. So, in theory, the question of whether or not a player would show up for his induction ought to be irrelevant – a protest like T.O.’s by definition wouldn’t have taken place during his career, and obviously didn’t take place on a field, so it shouldn’t be a factor in enshrinement.

But we’re in an era where facts take a back seat to feelings, and that’s the issue here: hurt feelings. The Hall of Fame voters were hurt that Owens called out the hypocrisy, and want to make sure nothing like this ever happens again … even though the easiest way to do that would be to vote in deserving players in the first place.

[Update: Not all the voters were hurt. Here’s one perspective.]

It’s very simple: the Hall of Fame is for the players. There’s no Hall of Fame for Hall of Fame voters. In theory, players ought to be able to do whatever they want during their induction ceremonies – walk onstage wearing a gold jacket and a bear costume, wear a political protest tie, even – here’s a wild idea – strap on a wireless mic and turn the induction ceremony into a revival meeting. The Hall of Fame is the province of the players, not the voters and the administration.

Look, Halls of Fame in general are silly things, more fit for bar arguments than serious discussion. But turning something that’s already a sidelight to the game itself into a petty pissing match because of hurt feelings? Well, friend, that ain’t what football’s about, not at all. And if nothing else, the Hall is proving Owens right at every turn.

Owens acted like a spoiled brat for most of his career, so much so, that multiple teams dumped him even though be was immensely talented.  Skipping the ceremony was SOP for him, more of the same stuff he shoeed as a player, and he lost an opportunity to be the bigger man. 

But  this knee jerk reaction by the HOF to the antics of a spoiled brat is really, really dumb.

Owens acted like a spoiled brat for most of his career, so much so, that multiple teams dumped him even though be was immensely talented.  Skipping the ceremony was SOP for him, more of the same stuff he shoeed as a player, and he lost an opportunity to be the bigger man. 

But  this knee jerk reaction by the HOF to the antics of a spoiled brat is really, really dumb.
yes. both are being foolish. there is no "right" or "wrong" here

Owens acted like a spoiled brat for most of his career,
But we’re in an era where facts take a back seat to feelings, and that’s the issue here
Couldn't put it better.  Gotten to where people feel like they are in a position to make personal judgments about dudes they see play football on TV.  Just weird.

Can someone (honestly) explain to me how your first impression looking back on guys like Owens and Moss would be something other than how awesome they were - at football?

NFL is becoming a men's Housewives/Kardashians...

Last edited by a moderator:
The ironic thing is Owens and the HOF seem like a marriage made in heaven. Both have an incredibly exaggerated opinion of their own importance in the grand scheme of things.

This reminds me a little of the Jerry Jones vs "GOD"ell. It's pretty tough to root for either side. Maybe just hope both of them battle it out on the edge of a cliff over a volcano during a lightning storm like some movie where the only happy ending is the destruction of both monsters.

We should just punish any media outlet pretending anything concerning Owens or the HOF is NFL "news" by completely ignoring them until they just stop. For the love of god, just stop.

Overreaction to a unique situation.  Almost all players are extremely honored to be selected, no matter how long it takes.  They appreciate the gravity and meaning of being selected to join the HoF.  

Every once in a very great while they are just going to run into the turd who puts on a display like the recent one.  So what?  Just let them sit out and pout, enshrine them quietly for what they did on the field to earn the spot, and move on to next year.  

Overreaction to a unique situation.  Almost all players are extremely honored to be selected, no matter how long it takes.  They appreciate the gravity and meaning of being selected to join the HoF.  

Every once in a very great while they are just going to run into the turd who puts on a display like the recent one.  So what?  Just let them sit out and pout, enshrine them quietly for what they did on the field to earn the spot, and move on to next year.  
That's the thing though, the HOF is just as egotistical as Owens. They can't just move on. I don't remember who was inducted in 2017 and I certainly won't remember who was inducted in 2018. So who cares if he goes or not. I think you've hit this on the head

I'm curious as to who is creating this rule. It says the "Hall of Fame", but who is that? Is that the group of sportswriters that vote? Is it some HOF Board?

Can someone (honestly) explain to me how your first impression looking back on guys like Owens and Moss would be something other than how awesome they were - at football?
 Most of the time you are absolutely correct, Moss and Owens were great players and when I see old video clips of them I remember their awesome talent.  But with his actions regarding the HOF Owns reminded me of all his knucklehead behavior of the past.  I'm not angry about it, I'm not "in my feelings" about it, I don't really care, other than to make the observation that TO is still all about himself and is still selfish - seems like a reasonable conclusion.

They prevented Junior Seau’s daughter from speaking at his induction, after his death, bc they were afraid she would bring up CTE.  Perhaps Owens is not the villain here 
This is the problem with the world today, everyone thinks they are entitled to do and say whatever they want whenever they want on someone else's dime.  If the HOF doesn't want social issues discussed then that's their prerogative and it's ridiculous to call them villains because they want to keep the speech on point.

That said, this would be a terrible idea.  Just wait until they vote on someone in January and they have a stroke in May and can't travel.  Or are in chemo and don't want to get on the stage and show the world the state they are in.  Or even better, the voters start taking that into consideration - "yeah, we shouldn't vote for Jim Brown, he's quite an activist and might decide to boycott us".

AWFUL idea.

This is the problem with the world today, everyone thinks they are entitled to do and say whatever they want whenever they want on someone else's dime.  If the HOF doesn't want social issues discussed then that's their prerogative and it's ridiculous to call them villains because they want to keep the speech on point.

That said, this would be a terrible idea.  Just wait until they vote on someone in January and they have a stroke in May and can't travel.  Or are in chemo and don't want to get on the stage and show the world the state they are in.  Or even better, the voters start taking that into consideration - "yeah, we shouldn't vote for Jim Brown, he's quite an activist and might decide to boycott us".

AWFUL idea.
Since when is CTE a ‘social issue’?

This is a real consideration? HOF would be matching Owens' pout with one of their own. Aside from just being ridiculous, putting conditions on it just undermines their credibility and stature. 

AWFUL idea.
Brian Dawkins spoke a lot about his struggles with depression.  Do you think that was inappropriate?

Whats the signature really accomplish?  Whose business is it why someone would choose to not attend  We're saying a player must sign to be inducted   While lets say they decide to not show  Do they lose their enshrinement?  What if they show but refuse to wear their jacket, perform a speech, or pose for pictures  Why punish someone you intend to "reward"?   Sounds like a violation of the 2nd Amendment

As some have noted, not the right move by the HoF.

Just as Owen's pathetic, LOOK AT ME (once again, at the expense of OTHER players) attitude and complete selfishness COMPLETELY justified the fact that he had not been voted in on the first two tries.

IMO, this has nothing to do with Owens being "liked" but rather the fact that his unlikeable behavior NEGATIVELY effected his teams.  If a player is the third best at his position ever, and has production and adds to win totals in a commensurate manner, then you'd not have so many teams willingly part with the guy, or want no part of him at all.

This is all on Owens, his selfish and unprofessional antics where it wasn't just "all about him" but all about him at the expense of his team's competitiveness.  Do things to win less games? That should account for something, and if it were me, he'd still not be included.

Top 2-3 skilled players ever at his position? Yes.  With such detrimental behavior as to hurt his team's ability to win? Also yes. 

And he PROVED he hasn't grown a bit since those days. Screw Terrell, you don't deserve the HoF, even if they are petty in their own ways.  They should have simply not inducted him in the first place. 

I read the HOF's reaction the same as if the NFL required you to be in attendance at the draft to be a first round draft selection.

Some guys will want either scenario on their own terms, good intentions or retribution. Regardless, it seems petty.

https://youtu.be/5j2F4VcBmeo?t=12s

Do you question the validity of any of the members in the HOF?  More specifically 1st ballot  Personally I figure they earn 1st ballot or its pretty much a feel-good story that says nothing  One can mention the level of competition or numbers  But perhaps its on the player themselves for not making an attempt at one more Season

I mean the odds are the next WR inducted 1st ballot is almost a joke in comparison  IF it we're you could you smile fielding any questions or smirks from people that possibly don't even understand the sport  Twenty receptions in a game for almost 300 yds  We mind as well say responsible for the firing of a great HC (Holmgren)  Talk about taking the cake?  An NFL team w/ SB dreams made the man sign a waiver to play the game  That just screams hypocrisy to me

What you believe for whose next  Bruce maybe  Two good Seasons, perhaps one of which could be considered great  **** him  Let him sit home!  I'd much rather see and hear more time devoted to Gonzalez  Man who stayed true to his team for years before finally making the choice to try for a ring elsewhere  A decision that he may sadly regret along with his old teammates

Do you question the validity of any of the members in the HOF?  More specifically 1st ballot  Personally I figure they earn 1st ballot or its pretty much a feel-good story that says nothing  One can mention the level of competition or numbers  But perhaps its on the player themselves for not making an attempt at one more Season

I mean the odds are the next WR inducted 1st ballot is almost a joke in comparison  IF it we're you could you smile fielding any questions or smirks from people that possibly don't even understand the sport  Twenty receptions in a game for almost 300 yds  We mind as well say responsible for the firing of a great HC (Holmgren)  Talk about taking the cake?  An NFL team w/ SB dreams made the man sign a waiver to play the game  That just screams hypocrisy to me

What you believe for whose next  Bruce maybe  Two good Seasons, perhaps one of which could be considered great  **** him  Let him sit home!  I'd much rather see and hear more time devoted to Gonzalez  Man who stayed true to his team for years before finally making the choice to try for a ring elsewhere  A decision that he may sadly regret along with his old teammates
what does this have to do with guns

Since when is CTE a ‘social issue’?
Right. Wasn't the point of the event to honor Junior? If his life was negatively impacted and possibly cut very short because of CTE, why wouldn't that be a reasonable conversation? If Jim Kelly wasn't already in the Hall and just got in this year, I would expect he would discuss his battle with cancer. Would people complain about that? 

Also, what does the HOF do with all the money? They are a non-profit with a revenue of $200 million and just signed a 9 figure naming rights deal with Johnson Controls. 

My God, you were serious.  

Or consider another rule change to vote a player out of the HOF. Guess it depends if you are looking at just the on field performance or you consider other actions by the player. 

Brian Dawkins spoke a lot about his struggles with depression.  Do you think that was inappropriate?
I didn't see it, but if he's talking about his personal struggles and how he worked within them and/or to overcome them then it's absolutely not inappropriate.  That's what those moments are for, for the player to celebrate, reflect, remember, and thank.  To share with us as much of themselves as they want, and to keep as much to themselves as they want.  To inspire others with the same challenges and barriers or similar challenges and barriers or even greater challenges and barriers that they, too, can overcome. 

If he were to start railing on the NFL's history of players with depression, about their stance, lack of stance, actions, lack of actions, policies, lack of policies, or any other such social justice warrior rhetoric then that wouldn't be acceptable. 

I'm not so sure players need to conform to any standard especially if their supposed to be like a guest  IF the player is mocked, ridiculed, and labeled such as TO  I find it quite insulting to expect a signature  Should his Family, Friends, and fans then expect to be told that he (or she) we're in but refused to sign  (imho)It just rules to have rules  Maybe they view it as CYA or perhaps regrets that they cannot retract their "decision" to enshrine **** that noise  The process has sorta worked for years  Guess I will try an keep reading some responses, but it sure sounds quite ignorant 

I didn't see it, but if he's talking about his personal struggles and how he worked within them and/or to overcome them then it's absolutely not inappropriate.  That's what those moments are for, for the player to celebrate, reflect, remember, and thank.  To share with us as much of themselves as they want, and to keep as much to themselves as they want.  To inspire others with the same challenges and barriers or similar challenges and barriers or even greater challenges and barriers that they, too, can overcome. 

If he were to start railing on the NFL's history of players with depression, about their stance, lack of stance, actions, lack of actions, policies, lack of policies, or any other such social justice warrior rhetoric then that wouldn't be acceptable. 
Why is that?  Whats the grave risk involved  NFL gonna close the doors on the HOF?  Writers not going to get to enjoy determining whose worthy of enshrinement to their king dome  Fans won't get to enjoy watching the "HOF" game  Lotta players take time to state their not just a football player and/or its secondary in some fashion  Why you (possibly) enjoy actors stating their views on things there totally not really qualified  I mean I to may not like what some football player says that remotely in their realm  But there is a whole Life for them that we may know nothing about  ex. I just heard mention of one lineman whose actually a certified Dr.  

oops I may not be following your point very well  You stating speak freely or limit it to what for example the press cares to hear

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, what does the HOF do with all the money? They are a non-profit with a revenue of $200 million and just signed a 9 figure naming rights deal with Johnson Controls. 
They just built a whole new stadium, are adding onto and renovating the Hall, and have a plan to build out the whole area into essentially a Hall of Fame Village to make it a bigger destination with tons to do.

Here's a question that's at worst just vague for my liking  IF a player is 1st ballot worthy... Would you not enjoy his presence on commencement IF he were undecided to attending until the morning of the date  Obviously in a position to probably not willing to sign anything  Now an example might be Ricky Watters  Press just blew him up  "For who  For what"  I know it wasn't for me him continuing in order to make that catch  NFL has rules for QB's to help enable them to play  I really enjoyed seeing Watters enough to where his safety met more than the value of one play in a somewhat meaningless game  I dunno maybe in a SB or possibly Championship games  I say Championship because at times it's been the SB  Things he might could say  Maybe its the reason why he's been shunned  But yeah a lotta good hearing what a terrible throw by Cunningham if in fact Watters had been injured

Watters mentioning is much for context purposes  Believe he's a wonderful person based on interviews an such  IF inducted maybe he pokes fun of himself for the play  Something like just think because I played smart it was years before the NFL started making up rules about leading w/ a helmet

They just built a whole new stadium, are adding onto and renovating the Hall, and have a plan to build out the whole area into essentially a Hall of Fame Village to make it a bigger destination with tons to do.
Holy ####, that new village is going to cost $900 million. I was hoping they used that money to help pay former players medical bills, pay for medical research, support the charities of former players. 

Users who are viewing this thread