What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jake Kumerow WR GB (Dynasty) (1 Viewer)

tombonneau

Footballguy
Ok, dynasty owners, time to take notice of Jake Kumerow. 

Who? 

Yup, that's what I was saying to myself last night. As a J'Mon Moore owner I was researching what was going on at camp, and of course read up on Aaron Rodger's eloquent "piss poor" comments, where he singled out Kumerow, oddly not by name, but number ("Obviously 16") for his effort.

This is supplemented by the following praise:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/07/packers-wr-jake-kumerow-has-earned-aaron-rodgers-trust/

It’s becoming increasingly clear that Jake Kumerow has earned the most precious commodity for a Packers receiver: Rodgers’ trust.

I said, ‘When you’re out there, I’m coming your way.’ I have confidence in him,” Rodgers said, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN. “He’s in the right spot all the time, he makes contested catches, finishes the right way. He practices like a pro.”

“That’s the thing. You look at the guys who are out there playing with me. That’s the opportunity for the young guys to show what they can do,” Rodgers said. “I’m pretty specific with the people I highlight, and it’s for a reason. Jake has done a great job and has had a great camp.”

“You start to think about guys you trust on the field. How else can you see it, especially if I’m not playing a whole lot in the preseason, then in those practice, one-on-one reps against our defense?” Rodgers said. “That’s where the ball is going. That’s the guys making the plays right now and that’s the guys I want out there with me.

This transcends coach speak. This transcends a rookie or young guy making a few highlights in camp in one-on-one drills. This is the best QB in the game going out of his way to heap praise upon an UDFA that has bounced around the league and practice squads the last few years. When that happens, I take notice.

Now there will some that will say this is a ploy to motivate the Tatum Bell Rookie Collective at WR. I'm not so sure. I think Rodgers is a pretty simple guy and is sending a message to the staff and management saying "This guy better be on the ####### field on week 1. I'm not dealing with any of these rookies I'm 35 I want to win another Super Bowl sooner than later."

There isn't much to look at for tape on Kumerow but from a physical standpoint (6'4, 210), pigmentation aside, he seems to share similar measurable to the dearly departed Jordy Nelson (6'3 215).

Same 4.5s 40-time, same 31" vertical, same 7s 3-cone, same 2.6s 20-yard splits. 

Full Disclosure: Jordy did score 6 points higher on the Wonderlic.

Anyway, I think everyone agrees that the WR3 for GB this year has real fantasy value. It's why lots of folks like me pounce on Moore in rookie drafts and are sniffing around MVS and ESB. But as of right now, I think a smart bet to place is putting in a claim on Kumerow as a final bench spot guy and see how August shakes out.

You have been advised, SP.

God speed.

ETA FUN FACT: He is the cousin of current Los Angeles Chargers defensive end Joey Bosa and Ohio State defensive end Nick Bosa.

ETA Part 2: Vertical d'oh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't put much stock into what Rodgers is saying but I'm paying attention. 

Rodgers doesnt decide the 53. but hes certainly going to give the guy every opportunity to make it. I see this as Rodgers basically sending a message to everyone, not just the rookies even, you work hard for me and I'll get you the ball. but as I said, I am paying attention to this battle

Rodgers doesnt decide the 53. but hes certainly going to give the guy every opportunity to make it. I see this as Rodgers basically sending a message to everyone, not just the rookies even, you work hard for me and I'll get you the ball. but as I said, I am paying attention to this battle
Well, Rodgers doesn’t get to decided the 53 but I’m sure the coaches may seek some input from him as a veteran leader and QB. On top of that if Rodgers is noticing it would be logical that the coaches are as well.

maybe this turns out to be nothing but it’s the type of thread that can help us get the drop on a potential diamond in the rough before the masses catch on. I’ll probably throw a buck his way in waivers this week.

But this isn't the 1st time Rodgers has praised Kumerow. He's gone out of the way several times to mention him. When he says, "he needs to be on the field" there's more to it than a message being sent to the rest of the team. I think the kid not only makes the roster but battles for the no. 4 WR, ahead of the rookies.

But this isn't the 1st time Rodgers has praised Kumerow. He's gone out of the way several times to mention him. When he says, "he needs to be on the field" there's more to it than a message being sent to the rest of the team. I think the kid not only makes the roster but battles for the no. 4 WR, ahead of the rookies.
I expect the rookies to catch up at some point, but if that doesn't happen he does have a legit shot to make the roster. Plus Allison isn't exactly a star either, I wouldn't be totally shocked if he ends up winning the starting job opposite Adams (though that would probably be #4 in the target pecking order not counting the RBs, but still not bad for fantasy). The odds are rather low, but it's worth paying attention to how that battle shakes out. 

I think he will make the 53 but I dont see him being much more than #4 or 5 in the pecking order. his ceiling is likely Allison's production last year. 

I think he will make the 53 but I dont see him being much more than #4 or 5 in the pecking order. his ceiling is likely Allison's production last year. 
Maybe. I don't know. I have never really watched him play. I know I've seen Allison and he's a JAG. And the rookies sound like they are going through rookie growing pains. At this point, I'd say that given a healthy roster, the probability distribution for his 2018 outlook is:

• 10% Cut/PS
  • 20% Gameday Inactive
  • 50% WR4-5
  • 20% WR3
And in the most probably scenario, and injury to one of three players puts him into WR2/3 territory.

Maybe. I don't know. I have never really watched him play. I know I've seen Allison and he's a JAG. And the rookies sound like they are going through rookie growing pains. At this point, I'd say that given a healthy roster, the probability distribution for his 2018 outlook is:

• 10% Cut/PS
  • 20% Gameday Inactive
  • 50% WR4-5
  • 20% WR3
And in the most probably scenario, and injury to one of three players puts him into WR2/3 territory.
you might talk me into taking him over Wilson in my draft 

you might talk me into taking him over Wilson in my draft 
Haven't been following fish camp, but Wilson is probably the safer floor guy. But for last spot on the bench, I want a big upside guy. I was debating between picking up Switzer, Dorsett or Kumerow this week for my free roster spot an went with the latter simply because of upside which is what I want from my WR8/9 spots. WR3-5 give me the safer floor where I know during byes/injuries I'm not getting a zero. But swing for the fences after that.

• 10% Cut/PS
  • 20% Gameday Inactive
  • 50% WR4-5
  • 20% WR3
That's a bit optimistic. More like 40% cut, 30% inactive, 20% WR 4-5 and 10% WR3. But we'll see. 

I honestly think Abbrederis would have made an impact if he weren't made of glass. Also, I don't remember the Rodgers quotes on Janis.  Mostly I got the impression that he didn't like the way Janis ran routes.

I don't think Kumerow is going to be a world beater, but he's got as much of a shot as anybody at the #3 WR spot in GB right now.

Cobb didn't finish practice today. Undisclosed. Obviously hasn't been a pillar of health last few seasons. Any missed time by him early means more snaps for all the guys vying for Allison's role. 

Rodgers said the same things about Jeff Janis and Jared Abbrederis, too, once upon a time. 
Abbrederis yes, Janis no. You can go back through their Rotoworld histories for details, such as these two about Janis.

September 2015:

Janis (6-3, 219) is the best size-speed prospect the Packers have at wide receiver. Janis ran the 40-yard dash in 4.40 seconds at the 2014 NFL combine but hasn't fully won over his quarterback yet.

"Jeff will have some great days and some days where mentally he's making too many mistakes," Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers said of Janis. "The talent and athleticism is there. We just need to see from all those guys battling for those two spots just some more consistency."

July 2016:

"When he can stop thinking so much and react more, you see the athletic ability," Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers said of Janis. "He's obviously gifted very well with his athleticism, his jumping ability and his speed. He just needs to get to a level where he's not thinking as much and his instincts take over."

what I think people dont understand is if you go back and look at the last 5 years Nelson had with Rodgers (excluding last season) average the targets out to 16 games, you're talking about 126 targets that are unaccounted for. 

Cobb and Adams stand to get their normal targets, maybe a slight uptick. we are still talking about roughly 100 targets. any wr in the league getting 100 targets is worth fantasy consideration, no matter what his hair looks like.

Graham may have an uptick as well, so maybe this is all for nothing

Allison is a bum of an athlete. and Rodgers has been frustrated with him in the past. I've seen Allison drop an easy pass in a game and Rodgers avoided him the rest of the game. 

Kumerow may not be a wr1 but if he can win that wr2 job, he will be fantasy relevant. at this point he has a leg up on the rookies and he has Rodgers' eye. it's up to him now to make the most of this opportunity. 

what I think people dont understand is if you go back and look at the last 5 years Nelson had with Rodgers (excluding last season) average the targets out to 16 games, you're talking about 126 targets that are unaccounted for. 

Cobb and Adams stand to get their normal targets, maybe a slight uptick. we are still talking about roughly 100 targets. any wr in the league getting 100 targets is worth fantasy consideration, no matter what his hair looks like.

Allison is a bum of an athlete. and Rodgers has been frustrated with him in the past. I've seen Allison drop an easy pass in a game and Rodgers avoided him the rest of the game. 

Kumerow may not be a wr1 but if he can win that wr2 job, he will be fantasy relevant. at this point he has a leg up on the rookies and he has Rodgers' eye. it's up to him now to make the most of this opportunity. 
Well said.  And yeah, Allison stinks.  It's entirely possible this is Rodgers sending a message to the GM......and the doughy, tone-deaf coach.   

I still think Fat Boy McCarthy gets fired after this season.  He's cost Rodgers at least 2 shots at another Super Bowl with his inept coaching.

Well said.  And yeah, Allison stinks.  It's entirely possible this is Rodgers sending a message to the GM......and the doughy, tone-deaf coach.   

I still think Fat Boy McCarthy gets fired after this season.  He's cost Rodgers at least 2 shots at another Super Bowl with his inept coaching.
Well and good, but tell us, how do you really feel about McCarthy?

Dr. Dan said:

aren't most WR2's "fantasy relevant" though? yes, Rodgers tends to makes those #2's better than others but the lengths that some folks go to justify the hype is extraordinary. we're all looking for an edge here but the rationalizations for this guy are fairly ridiculous. i'm guilty of it, too, with other players but still. so many "if's" and "maybes" before laying out the time worn maxim of "it's up to him..." which seems to undermine your support for him. 

aren't most WR2's "fantasy relevant" though? yes, Rodgers tends to makes those #2's better than others but the lengths that some folks go to justify the hype is extraordinary. we're all looking for an edge here but the rationalizations for this guy are fairly ridiculous. i'm guilty of it, too, with other players but still. so many "if's" and "maybes" before laying out the time worn maxim of "it's up to him..." which seems to undermine your support for him. 
What I meant when I said "it's up to him" is that:
1. Rodgers has trust in him
2. Because of 1, he's getting lots of looks in practice
Therefore 3. If he makes the most of those looks, he's going to get the job. Hard to get the WR2 job if the QB won't throw to you because he doesn't trust you or respect your work ethic. Rodgers wants to win now. His window is closing. He doesn't want to babysit a bunch of kids who don't want to work hard. He wants people to have his same work ethic. It's one reason him and Swain got along so well on the practice squad. 

It's all about opportunity. At this point he has the best opportunity between him and the rest. 

I do agree, the hype might be ridiculous, but a late flier at this point is a dart throw no matter who you choose. Might as well pick the guy the QB singled out firsthand. 

I think Yancey may be the guy y’all are looking for, not Allison or Kumerow.
I loved him last season. Thought we got round 1-2 talent with a guy so late in the draft. I haven't heard much about him aside from him getting #1 reps when Cobb was down. Not sure if that means he profiles as a slot guy or if they are just rotating everyone in with the 1s, giving everyone a legitimate shot to win that spot. 

I loved him last season. Thought we got round 1-2 talent with a guy so late in the draft. I haven't heard much about him aside from him getting #1 reps when Cobb was down. Not sure if that means he profiles as a slot guy or if they are just rotating everyone in with the 1s, giving everyone a legitimate shot to win that spot. 

Not sure how Yancey fits in the slot.  He’s a relatively bigger guy with good speed who tracks deep balls well and is adept at creating space on Rodgers’ favorite - the back shoulder throw.  He fell to the late 5th round because he was a sloppy route runner who could be muscled by press coverage.  A year on the PS hopefully cleaned up those detriments significantly - they are both fixable issues.

Packers WR Jake Kumerow caught 3-of-7 targets for 76 yards and a touchdown in the Packers' preseason opener.

Singled out for praise by Aaron Rodgers during the week, Kumerow got a step and caught a 52-yard bomb in stride down the left sideline with 2:37 remaining for his score. Rodgers was spotted going wild on the bench. The fourth-year UDFA still has a long ways to go to secure a roster spot, but he's making an early case in a receiver corps that has snaps and targets for the taking.

Aug 9 - 11:47 PM

Looked like a classic Jordy Nelson play

Personally, I like the story behind him. UW-Whitewater has an awesome football program. Love he's a local-ish kid. Bounced around. Came to GB even though he had others interested- didn't even care who, heard GB and came running. Hard worker. Hard to not cheer for him.

I think people are under-playing Rodgers' words here. I know I'm contradicting myself, but a lot of what I said above was downplaying until I could get him in my draft. I was toying between him and Albert Wilson (who had a big target night), but Rodgers' words carry a lot of weight for me. Brady made Wes Welker and Edelman who they are, not the other way around. You get the trust and eye of a hall of fame QB, and don't lose it, you're pretty much set. 

Even if they over-draft him next year, which is very possible- especially if they let Cobb walk and the deep class- but I think if he can earn that starting outside role, 3 years of relevancy from the guy isn't far fetched for dynasty players. 

Personally, I like the story behind him. UW-Whitewater has an awesome football program. Love he's a local-ish kid. Bounced around. Came to GB even though he had others interested- didn't even care who, heard GB and came running. Hard worker. Hard to not cheer for him.

I think people are under-playing Rodgers' words here. I know I'm contradicting myself, but a lot of what I said above was downplaying until I could get him in my draft. I was toying between him and Albert Wilson (who had a big target night), but Rodgers' words carry a lot of weight for me. Brady made Wes Welker and Edelman who they are, not the other way around. You get the trust and eye of a hall of fame QB, and don't lose it, you're pretty much set. 

Even if they over-draft him next year, which is very possible- especially if they let Cobb walk and the deep class- but I think if he can earn that starting outside role, 3 years of relevancy from the guy isn't far fetched for dynasty players. 
Three years would be a lotto ticket minus the bonus number. I'll take wr3/flex value for a year. Let's not get greedy. :)

Dr. Dan said:
:yes:

was thinking the same thing. Was able to pick in up for league minimum ($250,000) in three of my deep salary cap dynasty leagues

Didn't read every detail in this thread, but did anyone mention his age?
Feb '92 so 26.

Read a compelling study earlier this month about how a WRs peak year is 28 and that as WRs get into their 30s, if they are still in the league and playing they generally are still producing at a top 24-36 level. Thought that was pretty interesting. (And makes me feel better about rostering Mike Wallace.)

Didn't read every detail in this thread, but did anyone mention his age?
8 months older than Tyler Lockett and this could be his year he busts out. 

Not saying hes antonio brown but brown didnt have his first big year until he was 25. 

Doug Baldwin was 26 when he had his first big year

sure, hes way more attractive in dynasty if hes 23 or 24, but doesnt mean he cant burst onto the scene at 26. :shrug:

8 months older than Tyler Lockett and this could be his year he busts out. 

Not saying hes antonio brown but brown didnt have his first big year until he was 25. 

Doug Baldwin was 26 when he had his first big year

sure, hes way more attractive in dynasty if hes 23 or 24, but doesnt mean he cant burst onto the scene at 26. :shrug:
Age matters way less for WRs v RBs. I just had a guy trying to get Kupp off me & used his age, 25, as a reason he doesn't have much time left & his value is not much. LOL what?!

Age matters way less for WRs v RBs. I just had a guy trying to get Kupp off me & used his age, 25, as a reason he doesn't have much time left & his value is not much. LOL what?!
exactly. it wasnt that long ago we had a 3 year rule for wrs...

wr comes into the league at 23, which means if the 3rd year holds true, hed be 26 when he had his big year. 

considering wrs can produce at high levels into their early 30s, whereas 30 seems to be the kiss of death for RBs, I'm not worried at all about his age. 

Tom Silverstein✔@TomSilverstein

Kumerow dug one ball out of the dirt and then beat House to the corner of the end zone.

12:52 PM - Aug 13, 2018

Tom Silverstein✔@TomSilverstein

In 1on 1 and 2 on 2 WR vs. CBs, rookie CB Josh Jackson and WR Jake Kumerow really stood out.

12:50 PM - Aug 13, 2018

Seemed like 8-9 Packers WRs were rostered in my deep dynasty.  Thanks to this thread I got him and it’s not 9-10 Packers WRs rostered.  I’m rooting for this dude!  Thanks OP. 

Users who are viewing this thread