Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
timschochet

What Laura Ingraham said

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/401044-laura-ingraham-america-as-we-know-it-doesnt-exist-anymore-due-to-demographic

In some parts of the country, it does seem like the America that we know and love doesn't exist anymore.

Massive demographic changes have been foisted upon the American people. And they’re changes that none of us ever voted for and most of us don’t like.

From Virginia to California, we see stark examples of how radically, in some ways, the country has changed.

Now much of this is related to both illegal and, in some cases, legal immigration that of course progressives love.

This is a national emergency, and we must demand that Congress act now.

Several commentators, including conservatives SE Cupp and Nicolle Wallace, are charging Ingraham of coded or explicit racism, and demanding that Republican leaders speak out. So far no one has.

Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, timschochet said:

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/401044-laura-ingraham-america-as-we-know-it-doesnt-exist-anymore-due-to-demographic

In some parts of the country, it does seem like the America that we know and love doesn't exist anymore.

Massive demographic changes have been foisted upon the American people. And they’re changes that none of us ever voted for and most of us don’t like.

From Virginia to California, we see stark examples of how radically, in some ways, the country has changed.

Now much of this is related to both illegal and, in some cases, legal immigration that of course progressives love.

Several commentators, including conservatives SE Cupp and Nicolle Wallace, are charging Ingraham of coded or explicit racism, and demanding that Republican leaders speak out. So far no one has.

Thoughts?

I can't seem to locate this high-pitched whistle I keep hearing.  It's getting louder though.

• Like 11

Well David Duke was over the moon about it, which should tell you everything you need to know.

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Thoughts?

Well she's clearly either a white nationalist or someone who is deliberately pandering to white nationalists for fun and profit. And personally I don't really care about the distinction.  What you say and do is all that matters.

I think anyone who defends or supports her after making that statement is worthless garbage.  I think the fact that she still has a job as of 5 PM today after an explicit nod to white nationalism is testament to how much damage has already been done by the current administration making even the most thinly veiled racism palatable in public discourse. If she's on the air next week Fox News might as well fly a swastika outside their building.

I think if the mods ban me for calling people worthless garbage if they support her white nationalism, but not a poster who supported her white nationalism in the Fox News thread, they've planted their flag too.

• Like 13

Massive demographic changes have been foisted upon the American people. And they’re changes that none of us ever voted for

The concept of voting to change demographics seems a tad bit eugenical, don'tcha think?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Thoughts?

If this view becomes even remotely mainstream, then I will have to agree with her on the sole point that the America I know and love doesn't exist anymore.

• Like 19

Isn't this the same sort of stuff Pat Buchanan used to write about?  Sounds a lot like his book "The Death of the West: How Dying Populations and Immigrant Invasions Imperil Our Country and Civilization."  (Yes, I had to look it up.)

• Like 1

Her last sentence in her little diatribe, but it doesn't surprise me you didn't include it, unless you read the link.  race, race, race, & more race.

"This is a national emergency, and he must demand that Congress act now. There is something slipping away in this country, and it's not about race or ethnicity. It's what was once a common understanding by both parties that American citizenship is a privilege, and one that at a minimum requires respect for the rule of law and loyalty to our constitution.”

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Thoughts?

This is not surprising at all. The big lie was always that the GOP only wanted to curb illegal immigration. Steve Miller, Bannon, Trump, etc have repeatedly shown they want to end all immigration. Or at least that from the "####hole" countries.

ETA:  “When two-thirds or three-quarters of the C.E.O.s in Silicon Valley are from South Asia or from Asia, I think . . . ” Bannon said, trailing off. “A country is more than an economy. We’re a civic society.”

--

If you aren't from Western European ancestry, they don't want you.

Edited by whoknew
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, irishidiot said:

Her last sentence in her little diatribe, but it doesn't surprise me you didn't include it, unless you read the link.  race, race, race, & more race.

"This is a national emergency, and he must demand that Congress act now. There is something slipping away in this country, and it's not about race or ethnicity. It's what was once a common understanding by both parties that American citizenship is a privilege, and one that at a minimum requires respect for the rule of law and loyalty to our constitution.”

This is a good example of fake news.

Take something either out of context or partial context and spin it as the racist boogeyman. Then quote a bunch of twitter blue checks pushing the racist narrative. For the people in the Qanon thread asking what fake news is, this is it.

• Like 5

Just now, NFL2DF said:

Take something either out of context or partial context and spin it as the racist boogeyman. Then quote a bunch of twitter blue checks pushing the racist narrative. For the people in the Qanon thread asking what fake news is, this is it.

yep.

11 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

If this view becomes even remotely mainstream, then I will have to agree with her on the sole point that the America I know and love doesn't exist anymore.

Unfortunately I think racism and anti-immigrant sentiment has historically been the American way.  

13 minutes ago, irishidiot said:

How does legal immigration disrespect the rule of law and loyalty to our Constitution?

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, irishidiot said:

Even with the last two sentences included it doesn't change the message at all.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, NFL2DF said:

The additional text at the end does nothing to change my view of her comments.  We are a nation of immigrants.  The great American experiment.  "Give me your tired, your poor.  Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Unfortunately I think racism and anti-immigrant sentiment has historically been the American way.  

Perhaps that is how some people have acted throughout our history.  But racism and anti-immigrant sentiment has never been an American ideal we have sought to embrace.

• Like 2

I began by looking for a complete transcript and could not find one. I didn't not include the last sentence on purpose; I went with what I could find.

Even so, I agree with bigbottom that the last sentence doesn't change anything. It's a bit confusing, because like so many of Trump's speeches it gives the supporters the escape hatch that she's only talking about illegal immigration. Except she isn't, and that's very clear from the sections I quoted.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Perhaps that is how some people have acted throughout our history.  But racism and anti-immigrant sentiment has never been an American ideal we have sought to embrace.

As an ideal, no, but it certainly is not a new phenomenon.

That last sentence is just her way of saying "I'm no racist, buuuuut ...."  Her point is the same - We don't need more brown people coming into this country and taking away our white privilege.

• Like 4

Just now, bigbottom said:

Perhaps not a "ideal" but I'm thinking of stuff like the Chinese Exclusion Act.  It seems like we've always had this dark side to our treatment of immigrants.  Maybe I'm being overly negative today.

1 minute ago, Juxtatarot said:
11 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Perhaps not a "ideal" but I'm thinking of stuff like the Chinese Exclusion Act.  It seems like we've always had this dark side to our treatment of immigrants.  Maybe I'm being overly negative today.

Both of you are right IMHO.

I'm a second generation immigrant. My grandparents were from Czechoslovakia. They came on a boat with thousands of others. I really have no idea what their parents legal status was at the time. They came to America for a better life and freedom, like others still do today. That vision of America is what is disappearing. As far as I'm concerned, if you're not an American Indian, #### about immigrants cuz we all are.

7 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

And perhaps I'm being overly charitable.  Your point is well-taken.

4 minutes ago, Mookie said:

As an ideal, no, but it certainly is not a new phenomenon.

That last sentence is just her way of saying "I'm no racist, buuuuut ...."  Her point is the same - We don't need more brown people coming into this country and taking away our white privilege.

I guess I didn't see that in her statement.  I'll brush up on my reading skills & come back to this typical pat yourself on the back "she is racist & I'm NOT" thread in about 8 years.

keep on keepin on.  salute & adios.

2 minutes ago, irishidiot said:

I guess I didn't see that in her statement.  I'll brush up on my reading skills & come back to this typical pat yourself on the back "she is racist & I'm NOT" thread in about 8 years.

keep on keepin on.  salute & adios.

I'll ask again, how does legal immigration disrespect the rule of law and loyalty to our Constitution?  Reconcile that and I'll reconsider whether she is race-baiting.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, irishidiot said:

I think this is a a weak, pathetic disingenuous attempt to explain away obvious white nationalism that calls your character into question.

Also the previous sentence has nothing to do with you or your post.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ericttspikes said:

I'm a second generation immigrant. My grandparents were from Czechoslovakia. They came on a boat with thousands of others. I really have no idea what their parents legal status was at the time. They came to America for a better life and freedom, like others still do today. That vision of America is what is disappearing. As far as I'm concerned, if you're not an American Indian, #### about immigrants cuz we all are.

...but we used to be mostly immigrants with similar skin tones.  That might be the core of the issue for some people. 

:rolleyes: Good grief.

I went to a Citizenship Ceremony on Wednesday.

141 new American citizens from 33 countries.  The place was packed with supporters from both sides.

Not one "boo" from the gathering of fellow Americans.

1 hour ago, irishidiot said:

Didn’t she mention that in some cases it’s legal immigration causing these awful changes she is so worried about?

4 minutes ago, Opie said:

141 new American citizens from 33 countries.  The place was packed with supporters from both sides.

Congrats?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Opie said:

And Laura Ingraham says that this legal immigration doesn't respect the Constitution and is contributing to a national emergency.

Agree?

21 minutes ago, Opie said:

Both sides of what?

1 minute ago, Radio Free Homer said:
22 minutes ago, Opie said:

Both sides of what?

Both sides of his imaginary story.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, irishidiot said:

lol, her first few sentences are about nothing EXCEPT race and what she thinks "America" should be.

You people are freaking hopeless to try and defend this drivel.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Opie said:

The point being is that LEGAL immigrants are welcome....and you all know it.

She said legal immigration was a national emergency and was somehow violating the rule of law and the Constitution.

• Like 1

I’d like to take this opportunity to congratulate Melania Trump’s parents on becoming USA citizens today.  Chain migration works if you’re the right kind of people.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

She said legal immigration was a national emergency and was somehow violating the rule of law and the Constitution.

If all else fails, label direct quotes as FAKE NEWS

• Like 2

I do want to add, and I can only speak for myself, that if Ingraham’s comments had been restricted only to illegal immigrants I would still strongly object to those comments. 

• Like 3

"Now much of this is related to both illegal and, in some cases, legal immigration that of course progressives love."

What type of legal immigration do progressives love that conservatives don't?  Serious question.  If you think her statement wasn't about race, please back it up.

• Like 4

After Obama institutes Sharia law I hope he also makes her personally responsible for retributions. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

After Obama institutes Sharia law I hope he also makes her personally responsible for retributions. 

Then we can chop off Hillary's hands for stealing our uranium.  Win-win.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, irishidiot said:

Her last sentence boils down to: I said these racist things.....  but Im not a racist.  Its akin to starting a comment with:  Not to be offensive.....  then going on to say a string of offensive things.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Opie said:

How many of those were ####hole countries?  Because I don’t know how welcome those legal immigrants are as far as our President is concerned. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, da_budman said:

Her last sentence boils down to: I said these racist things.....  but Im not a racist.  Its akin to starting a comment with:  Not to be offensive.....  then going on to say a string of offensive things.  

“With all due respect, I had no idea you had an experimental surgery to have your balls removed.”  

I said “with all due respect”, so I can say whatever I want after that.  It’s in the Geneva Convention.  Look it up.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Dickies said:

Then we can chop off Hillary's hands for stealing our uranium.  Win-win.

I hate uranium on many levels. 

You know how, for about a decade, whenever something came up that could be construed in any way sexual, some guy would say "that's what she said."

From now on, whenever anyone says anything that could be construed as racist, I'm going to reply, "that's what Laura Ingraham said."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Opie said:

Thats because Laura Ingraham wasnt there.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cosjobs said:

You know how, for about a decade, whenever something came up that could be construed in any way sexual, some guy would say "that's what she said."

From now on, whenever anyone says anything that could be construed as racist, I'm going to reply, "that's what Laura Ingraham said."

You, sir, are a good idea machine.  I wish to join you in your quest.