What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Preseason 2018 Game Observations Thread (1 Viewer)

Blount and Johnson rotating on early downs on DET's first drive. Riddick in on 3rd down. Stafford has a completion to each of Tate, Jones and Galloday. We are witnessing the epitome of a cluster####. 

Blount and Johnson rotating on early downs on DET's first drive. Riddick in on 3rd down. Stafford has a completion to each of Tate, Jones and Galloday. We are witnessing the epitome of a cluster####. 
Yeah

Blown coverage on the Golloday catch, underthrown or could've been a td

Oh man, I disagree 
To me, this is an easy call (Cook being their feature back).

Cook will get all he can handle, including GL touches with the caveat the Vikes could take it easy on him the first few games.

The simple reason is Cook is light years better than Murray & one of the most talented RBs in the league.

Murray had 7 total touches in the 3 games Cook played before getting hurt. In those 3 games, & in the 4th where he got hurt, Cook had a feature back load, including GL carries.

Cook is one of the few totally safe RBs as far as expecting top-end production (if healthy, of course). I guess the Vikes could ease Cook into action the first month or so, but barring that, Murray represents absolutely no threat to Cook's status as an elite FF RB.
new coaching staff though

Just as a reminder, Cook had 32 touches in week 3 last season (the week before he got hurt).

To me, it's safe to say the Vikes view Cook as their feature back.

That would've changed nothing. They also had McKinnon.

If healthy, Cook is their feature back. Period.
I just don't like his risk/reward profile relative to his ADP. I liked it better when I was getting him in the 3rd last year. There's a non-zero chance that he can't overcome the OL and/or that Murray receives the majority of the GL touches because he was relatively successful last year. 

I just don't like his risk/reward profile relative to his ADP. I liked it better when I was getting him in the 3rd last year. There's a non-zero chance that he can't overcome the OL and/or that Murray receives the majority of the GL touches because he was relatively successful last year. 
We'll see. Cook is about as safe as it gets as far as expecting feature back production, IMO.

There's nothing to indicate Murray is just going to "go away". Murray is going to have a role that is at least a breather back (6-8 carries), and he's going to get some goalline carries.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Cook at 241 carries and a 56% share. I have Murray at 189 carries. GL work probably goes 70/30 to Murray with 12 available rushing TD’s. Cook will not be a bell cow even with a generous projection/volume which I think I have done especially given he is coming back from ACL surgery which they have been extremely cautious with and can continue to be because they have Murray and two rookies who look competent. I would probably shift 20 or so carries from Cook to the rookies or to Murray at this point. I just can’t picture seeing him over 15 carries week 1.

For 1-3 games and then the wheels will fall off again. He's old.
Guy keeps himself in fantastic shape. Look at his twitter. Constantly running sprints for long distances all off season. I’m not saying he is gold but I think he’s very rosterable at this point, especially when RB’s start dropping (he could be one that gets hurt though).

I don't expect Murray to go away, just be the backup. Maybe we're talking about different things.

Bottom line, Cook will get used similar to the way he was used the first 4 games last season & that was as a feature back (again, with the caveat they might scale him back a tad the first few games).

My big draft is tomorrow and I have never been so unsure of what to do. I feel like when I mock and take "best player available" I end up with 5 RBs and a TE after 6 rounds. I am really struggling to find WRs I want to draft. 
I think there is a ton of value at WR. I am at 8 and have been going RB/WR/WR/WR/RB in my mocks. It’s usually between Adams, AJ and Hill in the 2nd. Then in the 3rd it’s Fitz all day. 4th/5th you have Tate, Juju, Jarvis, Goodwin, DT, Hogan, and Marvin Jones. Not sure what’s not to like! 

I think there is a ton of value at WR. I am at 8 and have been going RB/WR/WR/WR/RB in my mocks. It’s usually between Adams, AJ and Hill in the 2nd. Then in the 3rd it’s Fitz all day. 4th/5th you have Tate, Juju, Jarvis, Goodwin, DT, Hogan, and Marvin Jones. Not sure what’s not to like! 
It's not even that I don't like any of them, it's just there is always a RB on the board that I like more. Always. It's weird. 

I saw clips of the Jets Giants game, is that Crowell they used out as a WR?  Might be the best sneaky value of any player in a draft

I have Cook at 241 carries and a 56% share. I have Murray at 189 carries. GL work probably goes 70/30 to Murray with 12 available rushing TD’s. Cook will not be a bell cow even with a generous projection/volume which I think I have done especially given he is coming back from ACL surgery which they have been extremely cautious with and can continue to be because they have Murray and two rookies who look competent. I would probably shift 20 or so carries from Cook to the rookies or to Murray at this point. I just can’t picture seeing him over 15 carries week 1.
15 carries with a few receptions is nothing to sneeze at coming off an ACL. So say 18 touches week 1. 

Cook will easily average 20 touches a game for the season. Certainly enough to make him a FF stud given his talent & situation.

If I've learned something about the Panthers its that Funchess just might a true #1 in the future.  Guy just gets better every year and he's 6 months older than Calvin Ridley... 
Been trying to tell people. I don't know if he can hold off DJ, but I'm a MIchigan fan and Funchess was always very talented. He just had some bad luck at Michigan and then came out a year early. He was so young at the draft. 

I saw clips of the Jets Giants game, is that Crowell they used out as a WR?  Might be the best sneaky value of any player in a draft
#20? Might have been. He had some good receptions. However Powell was on the field before him and looked quick. 

yeah I think it was #20.  I thought Powell was put out to pasture already?  jeez
No, I think Powell has been working with the ones all through preseason. Darnold led a great 1st drive that I think was all Powell. Crowell still might be a decent bet but I think it's the kind of backfield it's been for awhile where these guys are getting added and dropped throughout the season, never really sustaining much production. 

I saw clips of the Jets Giants game, is that Crowell they used out as a WR? Might be the best sneaky value of any player in a draft
My friend texted me asking "Why is Crowell lining up on the outside?" and also "Why is Pryor a thing?"

But, word out of the Jets camp is that Crowell is catching everything - I thought that meant he was just catching dump offs though. He definitely didn't catch everything last year and his adot was .7, so yeah, color me surprised. 

My friend texted me asking "Why is Crowell lining up on the outside?" and also "Why is Pryor a thing?"

But, word out of the Jets camp is that Crowell is catching everything - I thought that meant he was just catching dump offs though. He definitely didn't catch everything last year and his adot was .7, so yeah, color me surprised. 
I bought Pryor in a couple places actually so I'm glad to see him do something.  He's been hurt up until now but if he's actually healthy, I don't think it's close at all between his talent and the other WR's on that team

I bought Pryor in a couple places actually so I'm glad to see him do something.  He's been hurt up until now but if he's actually healthy, I don't think it's close at all between his talent and the other WR's on that team
Robby Anderson is pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread