What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Preseason 2018 Game Observations Thread (1 Viewer)

BroncoFreak_2K3 said:
Jennifer “The Hammer” Hammond

Hammond, the 2015 Ty Tyson "Excellence in Sports Broadcasting Award" winner, is a sports reporter for WJBK-TV FOX 2. The two-time EMMY Award winner has covered Detroit sports for FOX 2 since 1997. She returned to Detroit in 1994 to work for WDFN after getting her on-camera start on CLTV with the morning traffic reports and later as the morning sports anchor. Hammond got her start in the field in the Sports Information department at Western Michigan in 1983.

Maybe she was hammered

:shrug:

Yeah shes awful.....
Ok I was gonna call BS if this was about Beth Mowins, who called the game on NFLN.  Mowins is extremely talented.

Matt Millen, however, needs to be forcibly retired.  Preferably to Australia.

Last edited by a moderator:
David Johnson looked as good as he ever has on two runs, before heading to the bench.

Chase Edmonds ran almost as well behind him, including a wild TD run crawling over downed linemen in front of him.

Arizona may not be as dead as we thought...
Edmonds has looked good in the off season. 

Christian Kirk is gonna be awsome in the return game.

Some of the younger top defensive  picks...Reddick, Baker, Nkimdiche are getting more comfortable and ready to ball.

I think Seals Jones is a legit sleeper TE.

Maybe it goes without saying but rewatching this NE vs. WAS game and Hill looks better than Gillislee. Hill doesn't look amazing but he looks solid in all facets of the position (running, pass blocking, pass catching). 

The Vikings are probably one of a handful of teams that can be considered favorites. Obviously the Eagles as defending champs are one. The Saints only lost to the Vikings because of a fluke play so they'd have to be considered. The Rams would round out the top tier.

They’re a favorite but I’m not sure how you can say clear favorite in the loaded NFC.  Bunch of really good teams that have a good shot.  Probably going to come down to who’s healthiest.
I'm not saying the Vikes are in a tier by themselves, just that they should be considered THE favorite, IMO.

The Vikings are probably one of a handful of teams that can be considered favorites. Obviously the Eagles as defending champs are one. The Saints only lost to the Vikings because of a fluke play so they'd have to be considered. The Rams would round out the top tier.
Yeah...NFC is going to be fun this year.  

Pack fans are lucky the have a generational talent at qb, because the rest of the team is hot garbage
That's not exactly true.  Packers went 3-7 after Rodgers went down, which translates to 5-11 over a season. And they nearly beat both the Steelers and Panthers, which would have gotten them close to .500.  Any team that can flirt with .500 without a QB isn't exactly hot garbage.   They're not the Browns or Colts.

The system is designed so that you are severely handicapped when you win consistently. Hard to build a defense when you're drafting in the 20+ spot every year. 

Matt Bitonti had their OL ranked 29th before they lost their center for the year. Given Bradford's seemingly brittle nature, I feel hesitant to invest in any Arizona players.

https://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=2018-offensive-lines-preseason-training-camp
Mason Cole was picked in the third round by the Cards and it's possible he may be better than Shipley. According to PFF Shipley ranked 28th last year among centers. 

We shall see.

Mason Cole was picked in the third round by the Cards and it's possible he may be better than Shipley. According to PFF Shipley ranked 28th last year among centers. 

We shall see.
Sure, lots of things are possible. But is it probable? 3rd round rookies usually take a year to groom.

Sure, lots of things are possible. But is it probable? 3rd round rookies usually take a year to groom.
I just don't think the loss of Shipley is necessarily terrible news. It's not great news considering the lack of depth on this team. Cole has been getting good off season reviews and was solid in the first pre season game. It's possible....not probable, he will be better than Shipley. 

I just don't think the loss of Shipley is necessarily terrible news. It's not great news considering the lack of depth on this team. Cole has been getting good off season reviews and was solid in the first pre season game. It's possible....not probable, he will be better than Shipley. 
My main point was that they were ranked 29th before the injury. I don't think the injury moves the needle that much, but it certainly doesn't help the fact that they were already going to have problems there. I just have a hard time getting excited about Arizona. They've got a poor OL, a brittle QB, and their three best WRs are all slot receivers. 

My main point was that they were ranked 29th before the injury. I don't think the injury moves the needle that much, but it certainly doesn't help the fact that they were already going to have problems there. I just have a hard time getting excited about Arizona. They've got a poor OL, a brittle QB, and their three best WRs are all slot receivers. 
I'm not super excited about the Cardinals either. It doesn't help that they have a tough schedule in a very tough conference. I do see possibility's though if some of their younger players get it going. They have had some high picks who have underachieved to this point but are showing signs of breaking out.

Maybe it goes without saying but rewatching this NE vs. WAS game and Hill looks better than Gillislee. Hill doesn't look amazing but he looks solid in all facets of the position (running, pass blocking, pass catching). 
There's not a lot of buzz here, but I'm intrigued by this.  No one seems to be better at taking guys off the scrap heap and making them good, useful players than New England.  I'm not sure exactly what happened to Jeremy Hill.  He went from one of the best players in the league as a rookie to a total JAG in no time.  He has said this offseason that his ankle has bothered him for years, and he finally had surgery to correct it last year when the team put him on IR.  Even at the time, it seemed like the Bengals were somewhat upset with him for electing to have the surgery as opposed to playing through it.  Maybe NFL athleticism requires a certain minimum threshold to be successful, and some guys like Hill are close enough to that threshold that any ding or nick pushes them below it?  

Anyway, he's recovered from the surgery.  The Pats reached out to him pretty early in FA and signed him fairly quickly.  He's on a 1-year, prove-it deal at age 25 and probably looking to land another solid contract before he's put out to pasture.  The Patriots asked him to lose weight, and he's showed up at camp the lightest he's been since high school.  Does that mean the quickness is back?  Maybe.  Hill's never going to be confused for Dion Lewis, but if the weight loss and healthy ankle get him back over that minimum threshold of NFL athleticism, this could be a fun ride.

Sig and Cecil and Waldman frequently talk about the "drumbeat" of information.  Been a lot of positive beats here ...

JHill - another 4 ypc and a TD tonight and I think he becomes a real possibility for 175-700-10     that would be typical CoachB and Patriots

Goalline is Burkhead‘s job. In fact I’m guessing majority of snaps are. James White is “2 minute” or anytime B.B. feels like speeding up the game. Until Michel gets healthy. There is very little room or role for either Gillislee/Hill. Just some peeps around here trying to drum up fake dynasty/best ball hype. 

I argued with guys about Perine, he’s not in to start the game. Kelley is and got a target. Perine, IMO, is not trusted by this staff. If I am wrong he’s going to have to earn every bit of his opportunity to prove those rooting for him to be right. 

James Conner owning the Green Bay run D, which was pretty suspect last year.  Take note, since Conner did very little in last week's game.

Blake Martinez looks like a tackle machine again this year, for those of you in IDP leagues.

Users who are viewing this thread