What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Preseason 2018 Game Observations Thread (1 Viewer)

@ryanohalloran: In first row of stands behind #Broncos bench ...
A Vikings Trevor Siemian jersey
A Broncos Trevor Siemian jersey
A Broncos Case Keenum jersey
A Vikings Case Keenum jersey
All sitting next to each other.
Like the NFL answer to the traveling Jagrs :)

-QG

Geez these penalties called for tackles with helmet down are absolutely brutal.  Basically looks like your helmet cant touch any body part of the player your tackling.

Geez these penalties called for tackles with helmet down are absolutely brutal.  Basically looks like your helmet cant touch any body part of the player your tackling.
I haven’t seen an offensive player be called once either. They need to scrap this bull #### stat. No one wants it and it’s an insult to everyone’s intelligence to think it somehow makes things safer.

Brady kinda looking like a bargain right now.  I don’t usually take QBs early but man - might have a chip on his shoulder this year. Mess around a little, lead the league in passing.  :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Steelers defense is hot garbage tonight. If this is anything remotely close to how they play, they will need to score 40 a game.

Not to hijack thread but arguing with my buddy earlier as he claims preseason games are totally meaningless, there are no takeaways from any of these games and games will tell you nothing about who will do what once games count. 

Not to hijack thread but arguing with my buddy earlier as he claims preseason games are totally meaningless, there are no takeaways from any of these games and games will tell you nothing about who will do what once games count. 

Tell him he is really, really smart and is spot on. Then while he is snoozing this preseason, you just keep paying attention and sniping value before the season starts.  Wash, rinse, repeat next year.

He's right to some extent - especially team results - but you can glean information as to how players look and what their role may be. You just have to stay clear of "trap" players - nobodies putting up bug stats late in games against future car salesmen. But "totally meaningless" is going too far.

BFD.  If he has to manufacture chips on his shoulder at this point in his career, after everything he has accomplished, more power to him, I guess. 
You clearly missed my attempt at a subtle joke (he’s said to have a chip every year) and then also my later explanation that it was an attempt at a subtle joke. 

:doh:  

He's right to some extent - especially team results - but you can glean information as to how players look and what their role may be. You just have to stay clear of "trap" players - nobodies putting up bug stats late in games against future car salesmen. But "totally meaningless" is going too far.
Person A: holy crap. Brady separated his throwing shoulder! 

Person B: relax man, it’s preseason. These games are meaningless. 

;)  

Don't mean to be controversial, but Tom Brady looks very serviceable.
I tried that schrick already. People took me way too seriously. 

He definitely put up some eye popping #s against future insurance salesmen. :)  

Hogan has me excited. If I can still get him as a WR3 in the 4-5 turn I’m gonna be super happy.  Drafting on the 24th so his ADP shouldn’t jump too much by then.   :shrug:

I tried that schrick already. People took me way too seriously. 

He definitely put up some eye popping #s against future insurance salesmen. :)  

Hogan has me excited. If I can still get him as a WR3 in the 4-5 turn I’m gonna be super happy.  Drafting on the 24th so his ADP shouldn’t jump too much by then.   :shrug:
Probably a good call on Hogan.  I passed last night for Gordon.  :clyde:

Does Hogan have WR1 upside?  There seems to a be a tier of Hogan, Watkins, Gordon, Crabtree, and Jeffrey.  If my team was loaded at WR I'd draft Hogan because of his weekly floor, but if I didn't have a WR1 I would have a hard time pulling the trigger.

Probably a good call on Hogan.  I passed last night for Gordon.  :clyde:

Does Hogan have WR1 upside?  There seems to a be a tier of Hogan, Watkins, Gordon, Crabtree, and Jeffrey.  If my team was loaded at WR I'd draft Hogan because of his weekly floor, but if I didn't have a WR1 I would have a hard time pulling the trigger.
That’s how I’m looking at it. 

1 RB

2 WR

3 WR 

4 RB

5 RB/WR 

Mockong CBS (where my one league is doing an online draft for the first time (too many people had conflicts for a live draft this year) I’ve seen Hogan go in the 6-7 turn but inconsistently. Sportsline has him ranked a bit low. 

I just don’t know if I want to risk missing Hogan at the 4-5 turn. Mocking isn’t real life. 

Crowder also goes at the 6-7 turn and I’m pretty high on him too, so I may go RB-RB 4/5 and cross my fingers.   :shrug:

Sig Bloom (I think) posted on twitter (I think?..it all runs together) that Brady's week 13-16 (ish) dip in production is real over the last several years.  Sorry wish I had the data in front of me, but just wait at QB all day every day.

1 RB

2 WR

3 WR 

4 RB

5 RB/WR 

Mockong CBS (where my one league is doing an online draft for the first time (too many people had conflicts for a live draft this year) I’ve seen Hogan go in the 6-7 turn but inconsistently. Sportsline has him ranked a bit low. 

I just don’t know if I want to risk missing Hogan at the 4-5 turn. Mocking isn’t real life. 

Crowder also goes at the 6-7 turn and I’m pretty high on him too, so I may go RB-RB 4/5 and cross my fingers.   :shrug:
I went RB/RB/WR/Guice/ so 5 had to be a player capable of being a stud and covering for the drop off between Guice and whoever I draft(ed) in rounds 8-10 to replace him. If I had two WRs already rostered from the first three rounds I probably would have done things differently.

1 RB

2 WR

3 WR 

4 RB

5 RB/WR 

Its weird with Hogan because the ADP data suggests he lasts to the 6th, but every draft it just seems he is automatically gone in the 5th.  I think by Labor Day drafts the 4/5 turn is where he will get drafted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sig Bloom (I think) posted on twitter (I think?..it all runs together) that Brady's week 13-16 (ish) dip in production is real over the last several years.  Sorry wish I had the data in front of me, but just wait at QB all day every day.
I'd be surprised if its only over the last several years.  High quality teams pound the rock in December.

Its weird with Hogan because the ADP data suggests he lasts to the 6th, but every draft it just seems he is automatically gone in the 5th.  I think by Labor Day drafts the 4/5 turn is where he will get drafted.
Yeah - he’s clearly on the rise. 

I’ve done maybe 10 CBS mocks since I got my draft slot on Monday, and he’s made it to the 6-7 turn only about 1/2 the time. 

Sometimes if you want a guy you’ve got to reach a little for him, which unfortunately negates some of their value. 

I’m usually the kinda guy who sticks to a plan though - RBs seem to fall off a cliff about mid-5th round, so grabbing 2 at that 4-5 turn & crossing my fingers is likely my plan. 

I want Hogan though, dang it. 

Users who are viewing this thread