What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (3 Viewers)

She’s not mocking prayer. She’s criticizing the way that certain politicians (mostly conservatives) publicly offer up prayers after deadly shooting incidents rather than discuss  reasonable gun control ideas. I think she has a point. 
Perhaps it was a bit too soon?

Her need to push her agenda oftentimes gets in the way of decency and/or actual facts (Jussie Smollett, for example).

IMO.

She’s not mocking prayer. She’s criticizing the way that certain politicians (mostly conservatives) publicly offer up prayers after deadly shooting incidents rather than discuss  reasonable gun control ideas. I think she has a point. 
That offering thoughts and prayers after a mass shooting in a house of worship is bad?

Alright.  You are free to agree with whomever you please.  It seems like a tone deaf comment when coming out hours after a shooting where the victims were literally praying.

But this is in New Zealand.   Their gun laws are fairly restrictive.  She claims to be against dehumanizing people, but she does it to rich people, corporate leaders, political opponents.   Her point is terribly misplaced as it often is.  

Someone on the news just stated that it is fairly easy to purchase guns in New Zealand. So I don’t know if this is true or not. 
All guns are registered.  They do background checks for mental illness, criminal records, drug use.   Guns are tiered into different classification levels, and certain people can only buy certain guns.   It may be easy to get a gun, but it is fairly restrictive.  

That offering thoughts and prayers after a mass shooting in a house of worship is bad?

Alright.  You are free to agree with whomever you please.  It seems like a tone deaf comment when coming out hours after a shooting where the victims were literally praying.
You know exactly what she's talking about.  It happens with EVERY single shooting event in this country.  GOP politicians remain silent other than to offer "thoughts and prayers" over and over on their social media outlets.  If we're lucky we get a "It's too soon to talk about the politics, let the victims mourn.  Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of you" sort of bull#### message.

That the offering of thoughts and prayers is generally hollow and a means to stifle discussion.

As it often gets said as “now isn’t a time for debate it’s a time for thoughts and prayers”.

In any case AOC’s argument is that, in this country, conservatives respond to calls for gun control after mass shootings by saying that “now is not the time to discuss it, now is the time to offer prayers.” 

Putting aside the merits of whatever she might be proposing (that’s a separate issue) I think she makes a good point. 

ETA- looks like Commish and Sho Nuff just explained it much better than I did. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You know exactly what she's talking about.  It happens with EVERY single shooting event in this country.  GOP politicians remain silent other than to offer "thoughts and prayers" over and over on their social media outlets.  If we're lucky we get a "It's too soon to talk about the politics, let the victims mourn.  Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of you" sort of bull#### message.
:shrug:

I thought so, but apparently others see it differently.  She specifically pointed only shootings at houses of worship and then mocked prayer.  Pretty crappy thing to do.

Maybe they don't see every tragedy as an opportunity to take away freedoms or score political points.  

Maybe they don't see every tragedy as an opportunity to take away freedoms or score political points.  
maybe :shrug:

Is this new shtick you are trying out?  You know...where you quote people but your response has nothing to do with what you quoted?

read it again
“Thoughts and prayers” is reference to the NRA’s phrase used to deflect conversation away from policy change during tragedies. Not directed to PM Ardern, who I greatly admire
Its right there...Ive read it...its pretty darn clear what she was doing.

That isn't mocking prayer...its mocking the sentiment and tactic used by the NRA and others to stifle discussion.

There are 435 members of congress.   Why is Cortez the one always quoted? Of course she is going to make blunders under a microscope.

That the offering of thoughts and prayers is generally hollow and a means to stifle discussion.

As it often gets said as “now isn’t a time for debate it’s a time for thoughts and prayers”.
Or it could be, you know, folks offering their thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families.

Most people don’t have an agenda when it comes to this ####.

Its right there...Ive read it...its pretty darn clear what she was doing.

That isn't mocking prayer...its mocking the sentiment and tactic used by the NRA and others to stifle discussion.
Hours after a mass shooting in New Zealand.  Makes perfect sense :crazy: .

Or it could be, you know, folks offering their thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families.

Most people don’t have an agenda when it comes to this ####.
Again...which is why she made it clear she was talking about when its used for deflection...as multiple have now stated in here, the times its used as "now is not the time to talk policy but a time for thoughts and prayers".

Thousand Oaks parents saying the same sentiment.

Parkland doing the same...

And an article on the topic...

There are 435 members of congress.   Why is Cortez the one always quoted? Of course she is going to make blunders under a microscope.
She has a disproportionately large social media presence.  Sometimes it works to her favor.  Sometimes it doesn't.  

Again - not talking about AOC at all - instead replying to your hollow comment.
Because it has often been a very hollow sentiment.  As the third article discusses.  Just a throw away thing to say while doing absolutely nothing.

Because it has often been a very hollow sentiment.  As the third article discusses.  Just a throw away thing to say while doing absolutely nothing.
Bull#### - it’s what most compassiate people say to others when someone has experienced a tragedy or loss in their lives. 

It has ZERO to do with stifling discussion

Bull#### - it’s what most compassiate people say to others when someone has experienced a tragedy or loss in their lives. 

I’ve posted articles backing up my point and it’s also been discussed on this board before.  I think there is a valid point in what she is saying.

I agree with part of this and disagree with another part.  It's true that it's something compassionate people say, however, for politicians they make it hollow when there is no action to back it up.  I agree that the phrase isn't about stifling discussion by itself, however, the phrase is often times grouped with the "this isn't the time to be bringing up the politics of gun control" sentiment which is absolutely all about stifling discussion.  With the GOP it's never a good time to be talking about gun control.

you answer your own quesiton

She has a disproportionately large social media presence.  Sometimes it works to her favor.  Sometimes it doesn't.  
Twitter does have a way of making people look stupid.  Just hate to see Cortez follow Trump down the knee jerk Twitter path. After 6 months of Trumps tweets it was hard to take him seriously.  Cortez has only been in congress a couple of months and already she has misspoken so many times her future credibility will be in question soon.

I doubt many people that pray do so because they think it does absolutely nothing.
It does something for the person offering the prayer. It probably has some of the same benefits as meditation.

It doesn’t do anything to stop other people from shooting each other.

It is therefore not a good substitute for sensible gun-control legislation.

The problem isn’t prayer. The problem is using prayer as a substitute for actually doing something productive — which is how certain politicians have seemed to use it, and which is what AOC was criticizing.

It does something for the person offering the prayer. It probably has some of the same benefits as meditation.

The problem isn’t prayer. The problem is using prayer as a substitute for actually doing something productive — which is how certain politicians have seemed to use it, and which is what AOC was criticizing.
I don’t believe most people that pray feel their prayers are simply a form of self meditation.

:goodposting:

Of course the point will go ignored to argue some other tangent...

Sand said:
This one.  Might be the one you're thinking of.  I just thought of rants around that time and all I can remember is Cramer's, which I was lucky enough to see live.  It was awesome.
Yep, that is the one.  I know we have different views on monetary policy, but Cramer calling for the Fed to cut the rates a year before the Lehman collapse really stands out.  Money was too tight in late 2007 and the recession started that December.

It sets up criticism for the whole line of questioning.   She has established a very illogical worldview.  She does not see a distinction between lender and owner/operator.  She blames banks for making decisions about whether a project is morally beneficial to the US, when that is clearly the government's role.  Brining up a spill on a different pipeline and somehow suggesting liability for this one was very strange.  Her hostility towards corporations/business and her blindness towards the responsibility of the government is entertaining.  I really hope she keeps saying these ridiculous things and I really hope people keep defending it.     She is the epitome of a loose cannon.  No need to create strawmen, just get AOC's latest quote.  
I don’t think she blamed banks. She asked why they shouldn’t be to blame

But this is in New Zealand.   Their gun laws are fairly restrictive.  She claims to be against dehumanizing people, but she does it to rich people, corporate leaders, political opponents.   Her point is terribly misplaced as it often is.  
No, she doesn't. These are just narratives you seem very desperate to spin. Meanwhile, nary a criticism from you for that very same behavior from Republicans. You're as partisan as it gets - consistently.

You mean like the NRA holding rallies where mass shootings happened immediately in the aftermath to score political points and seemingly celebrate that people permanently lost all of their freedom so that we can maintain the convenience of a hobby?

You mean like the NRA holding rallies where mass shootings happened immediately in the aftermath to score political points and seemingly celebrate that people permanently lost all of their freedom so that we can maintain the convenience of a hobby?
I love a good whataboutism

Perhaps she missed the part about a legal gun owner at the second mosque utilizing his weapon and chasing away two bad guys, saving multiple lives?  I'm sure she will never mention that gentleman.
That’s a legitimate argument as well. 

pantherclub was suggesting that she should just shut up. I think it’s quite proper for her to offer her political views, and then people can discuss them. 

That’s a legitimate argument as well. 

pantherclub was suggesting that she should just shut up. I think it’s quite proper for her to offer her political views, and then people can discuss them. 
There is a time and a place for her to spew her nonsense, hours after the attack aint it.

Users who are viewing this thread