Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyU

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread

Just now, pantherclub said:

There is a time and a place for her to spew her nonsense, hours after the attack aint it.

When is the optimal time?  2 days after the attack?  3 days after the attack?  4 days after the attack?  if we wait any longer than that we are likely to see another mass shooting.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Dickies said:

When is the optimal time?  2 days after the attack?  3 days after the attack?  4 days after the attack?  if we wait any longer than that we are likely to see another mass shooting.

you realize this happened in New Zealand right?

3 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

There is a time and a place for her to spew her nonsense, hours after the attack aint it.

And this is where we fundamentally disagree. I reject the notion that there is a time period after an event like this during which political discussion is somehow improper. 

Just now, timschochet said:

And this is where we fundamentally disagree. I reject the notion that there is a time period after an event like this during which political discussion is somehow improper. 

5 minutes ago, timschochet said:

That’s a legitimate argument as well. 

pantherclub was suggesting that she should just shut up. I think it’s quite proper for her to offer her political views, and then people can discuss them. 

He's right on timing.  The morning after a massacre that eclipses NZ's typical yearly murder count isn't the time for it.  But I have no issue with her speaking at some point her mind.  As I said, she's not a deep thinker, so the more we hear the better characterized she can be for voters to keep her or toss her.

3 minutes ago, Dickies said:

To take potshots at prayer?  I don’t think there is a good time.

I don’t really care when she brings up politics.  She’s a politician.  That’s what she does.

2 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

Yes.  That just makes it seem like an even better time to talk gun control here.

2 minutes ago, jonessed said:

To take potshots at prayer?  I don’t think there is a good time.

I don’t really care when she brings up politics.  She’s a politician.  That’s what she does.

She wasn't taking potshots at prayer, but if she ever does then kudos to her.  I get that it can help people mentally, but overall it's a silly exercise that does nothing to change outcomes.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dickies said:

Yes.  That just makes it seem like an even better time to talk gun control here.

Um, okay.  Still not sure why she is trying to pin what happened in NZ on the NRA

10 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

Yes. But it has nothing to do with your previous point about timing. 

1 hour ago, Dickies said:

You mean like the NRA holding rallies where mass shootings happened immediately in the aftermath to score political points and seemingly celebrate that people permanently lost all of their freedom so that we can maintain the convenience of a hobby?

Our when liberals hold rallies then cops get shot.  

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

Yes. But it has nothing to do with your previous point about timing. 

It happened at 1:30 Friday NZ time.  Maybe wait until it's at least 1:30 Friday here?  

3 hours ago, Da Guru said:

There are 435 members of congress.   Why is Cortez the one always quoted? Of course she is going to make blunders under a microscope.

She is the one in the spotlight putting quotes her inflammatory quotes out there in every big issue.  She just jumps right in with both feet before giving it much thought.  It is not like anyone has to go out and find her.  

8 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

Um, okay.  Still not sure why she is trying to pin what happened in NZ on the NRA

The same reason she tries to pin a oil spill on a bank for a project they did not even finance.  

this is absolutely the right time to talk about it.  Politicians need to start riding these tragedies

Gun advocates are smart and they know that if they can ride through the initial reaction people will forget...thus the constant messaging of 'why politicize this'.  Turning someone wanting to do something to prevent tragedies into someone who is an ahole

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

She is the one in the spotlight putting quotes her inflammatory quotes out there in every big issue.  She just jumps right in with both feet before giving it much thought.  It is not like anyone has to go out and find her.  

If you find her quotes inflammatory then maybe you should self-reflect

• Like 2

1 minute ago, killface said:

this is absolutely the right time to talk about it.  Politicians need to start riding these tragedies

Gun advocates are smart and they know that if they can ride through the initial reaction people will forget...thus the constant messaging of 'why politicize this'.  Turning someone wanting to do something to prevent tragedies into someone who is an ahole

1 minute ago, pantherclub said:

You realize it happens over and over and over again in this country right?

And i guarantee you that unlike the terrible politicians we have here, new zealand will have the strength and intelligence to do something about it

Edited by killface
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Sounds like someone else in high office.

As a practicing catholic - I am fine with what she said.

I get that "thoughts and prayers" are offered in an attempt to console those affected.  But, she is right - with all the "thoughts and prayers" from all the recent events - you would think that if they were effective at stopping gun violence - it would be in a house of worship.

These are "people" problems, and they have to be solved with people, not gods.

4 minutes ago, killface said:

You realize it happens over and over and over again in this country right?

And i guarantee you that unlike the terrible politicians we have here, new zealand will have the strength and intelligence to do something about it

Do you want to ban guns?

4 minutes ago, Dickies said:

If you find her quotes inflammatory then maybe you should self-reflect

LOL...are you friggin kidding me.  She suggest gun supporters celebrate in these killings.   Like that is not inflammatory.  Telling banks they finance the caging of children.  Yeah, right.  The far-left are the most inflammatory group i know.  

Just now, pantherclub said:

Do you want to ban guns?

i want to make it a rigorous process for anyone to get anything more than a hunting rifle

Watch what new zealand does here...i guarantee they go after weapons.  

I won't sidetrack this conversation on the gun debate however

5 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

Sounds like someone else in high office.

Yep...very similar.  

3 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

LOL...are you friggin kidding me.  She suggest gun supporters celebrate in these killings.   Like that is not inflammatory.  Telling banks they finance the caging of children.  Yeah, right.  The far-left are the most inflammatory group i know.  

She’s not wrong. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dickies said:

She’s not wrong. 

When you just project evil motives on people by your own evil assumptions, you are wrong 99 out of 100 times.  Nobody is celebrating.

20 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

When you just project evil motives on people by your own evil assumptions, you are wrong 99 out of 100 times.  Nobody is celebrating.

The NRA and its supporters have a history of doing so. 

Edited by Dickies
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dickies said:

The NRA and it’s supporters have a history of doing so. 

Can you post some examples of the NRA and its supporters celebrating mass shootings?

6 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Can you post some examples of the NRA and its supporters celebrating mass shootings?

After every one of these shootings gun sales across the nation spike.  The NRA uses them to promote more guns and violence as a way to supposedly curb the less desirable violence.  After Sandy Hook the NRA's official statement was about expanding the use of guns to teachers and campus guards.  Maybe they aren't throwing parties with cakes and kazoos, but they absolutely use these shootings as an opportunity to expand their power.

1 minute ago, Dickies said:

After every one of these shootings gun sales across the nation spike.  The NRA uses them to promote more guns and violence as a way to supposedly curb the less desirable violence.  After Sandy Hook the NRA's official statement was about expanding the use of guns to teachers and campus guards.  Maybe they aren't throwing parties with cakes and kazoos, but they absolutely use these shootings as an opportunity to expand their power.

Do you think "celebrating" is a fair characterization of what you just described?  Would you argue that gun control advocates "celebrate" mass shootings when they point to them as reasons to support gun control?  

Just now, Dedfin said:

Misusing an apostrophe might be wrong, but it's certainly no reason to call him names. Plus autocorrect does all sorts of stuff like that. Let's just cool down a bit and no get so easily triggered.

Was autocorrect, and had about 10 notifications to respond to, so I wasn't really sweating the details

2 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

AOC didn't.  Dickies did.

He said they seeminglybdi in those rallies and explained what he meant.  And Jon seems to have states she suggested it.

@jon_mx said "When you just project evil motives on people by your own evil assumptions, you are wrong 99 out of 100 times.  Nobody is celebrating.."

@Dickies replied directly to Jon's comment and said "The NRA and it’s supporters have a history of doing so."

That is not true and way over the line to troll like that. Don't do it again. 

11 hours ago, jon_mx said:

Why don't you claim to oppose abortion and see how tolerant they are.   

I OPPOSE ABORTION!  As a total progressive, I think Abortion is horrendous and that we should be overwhelmingly funding tons and tons and tons of options and opportunities to remove abortion as a possibility in America. We shouldn't have any overflowing adoption centers or too few foster opportunities.

47 minutes ago, BigSteelThrill said:

I OPPOSE ABORTION!  As a total progressive, I think Abortion is horrendous and that we should be overwhelmingly funding tons and tons and tons of options and opportunities to remove abortion as a possibility in America. We shouldn't have any overflowing adoption centers or too few foster opportunities.

I think 3rd trimester abortions should be constrained to be allowed only for critical health reasons. 2nd trimester is more murky. 1st trimester should be open. And the trimester milestones are themselves somewhat arbitrary, my dividing lines would be about developmental state (or lack thereof). It's a nuanced consideration that really doesn't lend itself to binary conclusions. Unfortunately the issue is so emotionally charged, you can't get reasoned discourse in most cases. It's too often all or nothing.

I'm a liberal.

3 hours ago, FBG Moderator said:

@jon_mx said "When you just project evil motives on people by your own evil assumptions, you are wrong 99 out of 100 times.  Nobody is celebrating.."

@Dickies replied directly to Jon's comment and said "The NRA and it’s supporters have a history of doing so."

That is not true and way over the line to troll like that. Don't do it again. 

The NRA uses each mass shooting as a way to instill false fears about guns and ammunition bans so that the gun and ammo manufacturers that it lobbies for increase their profits.   It may not be "celebrating" the shooting, but it is certainly immoral and reprehensible.   

Immediately after the Las Vegas shooting, the NRA published a statement opposing bump stock bans.  They're actively defending the things that allow these shootings to be more deadly.    After Sandy Hook they defended assault weapons.   Their supporters also spread conspiracy theories that that mass murder was a "false flag." After Parkland their representatives lobbied Trump in person in opposition of stricter gun regulations to prevent more school shootings. 

Those are evil motives.

Edited by -fish-

3 hours ago, -fish- said:

The NRA uses each mass shooting as a way to instill false fears about guns and ammunition bans so that the gun and ammo manufacturers that it lobbies for increase their profits.   It may not be "celebrating" the shooting, but it is certainly immoral and reprehensible.   

Immediately after the Las Vegas shooting, the NRA published a statement opposing bump stock bans.  They're actively defending the things that allow these shootings to be more deadly.    After Sandy Hook they defended assault weapons.   Their supporters also spread conspiracy theories that that mass murder was a "false flag." After Parkland their representatives lobbied Trump in person in opposition of stricter gun regulations to prevent more school shootings. 

Those are evil motives.

He said the NRA has a history of celebrating these mass shootings.

He then backpedaled it to "Maybe they aren't throwing parties with cakes and kazoos, but they absolutely use these shootings as an opportunity to expand their power."

I follow her on twitter.  Tweets come in as texts.

She is endlessly tweeting pro and con articles about herself.  I like her but she is lacking a bit of self awareness.  

It is overkill.  You start to tune her out.  Plus no one can tweet that much and not step in it often.

31 minutes ago, FBG Moderator said:

He said the NRA has a history of celebrating these mass shootings.

He then backpedaled it to "Maybe they aren't throwing parties with cakes and kazoos, but they absolutely use these shootings as an opportunity to expand their power."

He first said they seemingly did...and gave examples. 

He moved to the “well the NRA does” as a reply to someone else.

10 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

He first said they seemingly did...and gave examples. 

He moved to the “well the NRA does” as a reply to someone else.

Not going to argue with you on this. It's clear what was said. It's on the screen above.

@jon_mx said "When you just project evil motives on people by your own evil assumptions, you are wrong 99 out of 100 times.  Nobody is celebrating.."

On 3/13/2019 at 6:09 PM, rockaction said:

Every day this PSF tears apart the President for a lack of knowledge about something. When it comes to this woman, though, we'll forgive anything, even thinking that Wells ####### Fargo owns gas lines and wells. In Fargo. 

Good work, AOC, you're no dummy -- you know how the world turns.  

Early on I thought Trump would say some things intentionally to be provocative and to cause the other side to lose their mind - eventually I came to my own conclusion of him being a combination of a troll and quite possibly in the early stages of dementia.  

With AOC, I think some of what she says is being sly like a fox and some is being uninformed.  I don’t think she’s unintelligent.  Either way, I’m still amazed she garners so much attention.  I’m guessing there’s another example of a Freshman congressman getting this much attention but it’s fascinating.

28 minutes ago, FBG Moderator said:

Not going to argue with you on this. It's clear what was said. It's on the screen above.

@jon_mx said "When you just project evil motives on people by your own evil assumptions, you are wrong 99 out of 100 times.  Nobody is celebrating.."

Right on cue, the NRA’s home page says, “Nancy Pelosi wants to declare a national emergency to confiscate your guns”

Scumbags using a mass shooting to promote their agenda.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, FBG Moderator said:

I agree that is where he responded to Jon with that. And he took it too far there.

Earlier he had talked about it differently though.

So it looks like you guys haven't figured out that when AOC speaks off the cuff she's a dolt and when her staff preps her and writes her Congressional hearing questions for her she's suddenly brilliant.

1 hour ago, -fish- said:

Right on cue, the NRA’s home page says, “Nancy Pelosi wants to declare a national emergency to confiscate your guns”

Scumbags using a mass shooting to promote their agenda. 

Right on cue.  Every damn time.

19 hours ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

It does something for the person offering the prayer. It probably has some of the same benefits as meditation.

It doesn’t do anything to stop other people from shooting each other.

It is therefore not a good substitute for sensible gun-control legislation.

The problem isn’t prayer. The problem is using prayer as a substitute for actually doing something productive — which is how certain politicians have seemed to use it, and which is what AOC was criticizing.

19 hours ago, The Commish said:

:goodposting:

Of course the point will go ignored to argue some other tangent...

19 hours ago, jonessed said:

I don’t believe most people that pray feel their prayers are simply a form of self meditation.

On cue (actually a bit early)

18 hours ago, pantherclub said:

Pray tell. Exactly how many hours/days/weeks/months should pass before the hypocrisy of politicians offering nothing but hollow thoughts and prayers is  called out?

Since you obviously are the time judge here....

Edited by msommer
  • Like 1