What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (4 Viewers)

Question for those who think AOC is stupid. Do you also think Obama is stupid (if not compared to the general population, then at least compared to other high-profile politicians)?

I know some Republicans who think that Obama wasn't very bright. I don't know how widespread that belief is...

All within the last 24 hours, all when there's been no AOC news to speak of and plenty of other news.

You guys are doing a pretty terrible job of convincing us you're not obsessed with a first term congresswoman.
The wall street journal and bloomberg both wrote pieces on her that were put out yesterday, I would bet there were others too, and she was of course trending on social media as she usually is. 

The wall street journal and bloomberg both wrote pieces on her that were put out yesterday, I would bet there were others too, and she was of course trending on social media as she usually is. 
Guess I missed that, because nobody linked to the articles or mentioned them.  They just insulted her intelligence for no obvious reason (although I have my guesses). The discussion started with someone replying to a post insulting her intelligence from two weeks ago.

All within the last 24 hours, all when there's been no AOC news to speak of and plenty of other news.

You guys are doing a pretty terrible job of convincing us you're not obsessed with a first term congresswoman.
well silver doesn't seem at all like an alias of a recently-banned poster.  I look forward to more of his contributions.

Guess I missed that, because nobody linked to the articles or mentioned them.  They just insulted her intelligence for no obvious reason (although I have my guesses). The discussion started with someone replying to a post insulting her intelligence from two weeks ago.
While you and I agree that the assessment of her intelligence is incorrect, I just don't think you have to be obsessed with her to make comments on her. I cant go a single day without seeing something mentioning her. Anybody that uses any kind of site that gathers lots of news is bound to run across her on a very regular basis. 

You might not notice it for the same reason I wouldnt notice if Bucks articles or giannis MVP talk became way more common. I already read so much about those topics that seeing more of it doesnt stand out. 

I know some Republicans who think that Obama wasn't very bright. I don't know how widespread that belief is...
By the way, the same people I'm thinking of who hold that view...

Back when Bill Clinton was President, their position was that Bill wasn't very bright, but Hillary was. She was the real brains in that household.

Then when Hillary ran for President, their position was that Hillary was not very smart. She should have listened to Bill's campaign advice because, between the two of them, he was the intelligent one.

(I don't think they realize that their position on that has flipped.)

Anyway, I think it's interesting how different people can have such different impressions of other people's intelligence. I also think a lot of people have a really hard time distinguishing between "that person is smart" and "that person holds beliefs similar to mine," whereas I think it's pretty obvious that those aren't the same thing at all.

I also think a lot of people have a really hard time distinguishing between "that person is smart" and "that person holds beliefs similar to mine," whereas I think it's pretty obvious that those aren't the same thing at all.
I think this depends a lot on whether you consider their beliefs to be reasonable.  If you disagree with me about marginal tax rates, you might still be smart.  If you disagree with me about whether underwear goes on the outside or inside of your pants, not so much.

Question for those who think AOC is stupid. Do you also think Obama is stupid (if not compared to the general population, then at least compared to other high-profile politicians)?

I think Obama was very intelligent. It's not even a fair comparison between Obama and AOC. Someone who lumps those two together is showing their ignorance and bias IMO. Obama didn't have these daily gaffs like AOC has when its clear her staff didn't have her scripted. And for the record, I don't think AOC is dumb. It's clear she's ignorant and very green. She often speaks like an over-zealous high schooler running for class president. Two things she can improve on but at the same time might it will likely make her more boring.

I'm obsessed with how much she entertains me in a "watching a car wreck" kind of way. That's the God's honest truth. I have no worries that she's going rise to the level to be able to impact my life. She's a bit player no matter how much the media hypes her.

I think this depends a lot on whether you consider their beliefs to be reasonable.  If you disagree with me about marginal tax rates, you might still be smart.  If you disagree with me about whether underwear goes on the outside or inside of your pants, not so much.
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss people who think underwear goes on the inside. They might have a decent reason if you're willing to listen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey now.

(sorry, kids just found this a few weeks ago on Hulu and have been obsessed)

I'm obsessed with how much she entertains me in a "watching a car wreck" kind of way. That's the God's honest truth. I have no worries that she's going rise to the level to be able to impact my life. She's a bit player no matter how much the media hypes her.
As someone who follows action on the Hill pretty closely, I'd say she probably has fewer "car wreck" moments than the average member, and a lot more outstanding moments (her work at hearings is excellent, supposedly because she has so much time to prep because she doesn't have to fundraise).  You just hear about her car wrecks ad nauseam, because Fox News and Ben Shapiro have chosen her to fill the void that Hillary Clinton left in their programming schedules and their hearts.

But you don't have to take my word for it on the car wreck thing ... let her show you.

As someone who follows action on the Hill pretty closely, I'd say she probably has fewer "car wreck" moments than the average member, and a lot more outstanding moments (her work at hearings is excellent, supposedly because she has so much time to prep because she doesn't have to fundraise).  You just hear about her car wrecks ad nauseam, because Fox News and Ben Shapiro have chosen her to fill the void that Hillary Clinton left in their programming schedules and their hearts.

But you don't have to take my word for it on the car wreck thing ... let her show you.
She's like an over sized star.  She burns super hot and super fast, but will eventually collapse in on herself and supernova.  

it was certainly a common meme here with numerous derisive remarks citing his "57 states" remark, his pronunciation of "corpsman" and of course his use of the teleprompter which supposedly confirmed that he couldn't think for himself.

Obama is intelligent.  AOC is not.  

TobiasFunke said:

She is a total hack.  Her 'outstanding' moments at hearings include several utterly embarrassing moments.  Her attacks on Wells Fargo were cringe-worthy and demonstrated even basic misunderstanding of how financing works and lacking basic facts in her over the top rhetoric.  

I’ve been watching CNN the last 2 days because it has been absolutely hilarious and they had a Castro brother on and AOC came up.

This wasn’t any ordinary segment though, and I was kinda amazed CNN did it, but they showed a split screen of voters from out east reacting to questions about the green new deal with Castro on the other half listening.  

Like most people, they said it was a complete disaster and a total joke.  That was no surprise, what did surprise me was Castro falling all over himself to defend this clunker and throw these “potential voters” under the bus.

This guy is a Presidential candidate and he was scared to death to say anything bad about AOC (who has a 31% approval rating in her home state as of last week).  The amount of power she has in the Democrat Party for being in Congress for 15 minutes has gotta be freaking out some of the moderates. 

BobbyLayne said:
I’m going to attend her GND Town Hall meeting this Friday at the Albert Einstein School of Medicine. Chris Hayes is moderating & I think it’ll be broadcast Friday night on All In.
Make sure to get a picture or something. You are talking to the future first female President of the United States. Her messages resonate with America and she will be, unanimously, a top 10 President for her eight years.

BobbyLayne said:
I’m going to attend her GND Town Hall meeting this Friday at the Albert Einstein School of Medicine. Chris Hayes is moderating & I think it’ll be broadcast Friday night on All In.
Why?
Because I am interested in what she has to say.

The environment was my top issue in 2016, when I contributed and volunteered for a candidate (Sanders) for the first time in my life - the tenth time I have voted in a Presidential Election.

It will likely be the most important issue for me in 2020 as well.

TobiasFunke said:

Uhhh 24 hours ago, there was discussion about the GND Going to  senate vote.

Make sure to get a picture or something. You are talking to the future first female President of the United States. Her messages resonate with America and she will be, unanimously, a top 10 President for her eight years.
Quality trolling there!  I love how 10 percent in the far left is your America.   Very fitting.  Just how many people voted for her green plan?  Keep your wagons hitch to that train.  

Sadly with AOC being only 29 she won’t be able to run for President for 6 years.  And the world ends in 12 years so we would never see that 2nd AOC full term anyway. 

Her attacks on Wells Fargo were cringe-worthy and demonstrated even basic misunderstanding of how financing works and lacking basic facts in her over the top rhetoric.  
This is true. But it has nothing to do with intelligence. It has to do with knowledge. 

On the other hand, I have watched her at other hearings and in interviews and she seems both well informed and very thoughtful. 

My conclusions are: she is quite intelligent, well informed on some subjects and uninformed on others. She is also impetuous and impatient, and like many of us often speaks before she thinks (which can be very bad for a politician.) So I find your analysis to be way off base. 

This is true. But it has nothing to do with intelligence. It has to do with knowledge. 

On the other hand, I have watched her at other hearings and in interviews and she seems both well informed and very thoughtful. 

My conclusions are: she is quite intelligent, well informed on some subjects and uninformed on others. She is also impetuous and impatient, and like many of us often speaks before she thinks (which can be very bad for a politician.) So I find your analysis to be way off base. 
Thought you were talking about Trump for a second.

I think a lot of this does apply to Trump. 

The main differences between them outside of policy, IMO, is that I sense AOC is generally honest, empathetic, and well meaning. I don’t think Donald Trump has any of those qualities. 
I think many people are well meaning as long as things go in the direction they believe is correct.

I think many people are well meaning as long as things go in the direction they believe is correct.
I get your point; as I’ve noted, even Trump can be gracious and generous when he’s winning. 

But hes not a good guy. My sense is that AOC is (though I don’t know either one of them.) 

Are you really in a position to judge others' interest in her? You care enough about her to consistently devote your time to anonymously trashing her on a message board.

Cue the "I don't really care about her, I just think it's funny" shtick in 3, 2, 1 ....

You think Donald Trump is well-meaning?
I did not mention names.  Just said many people are well meaning if things go the way they think they should. Like the Amazon job deal in NY.  Cortez firmly believes she was well meaning and happy when it was kaboshed.  Many locals felt very different.

Well meaning and correct are two different things.  

I did not mention names.  Just said many people are well meaning if things go the way they think they should. Like the Amazon job deal in NY.  Cortez firmly believes she was well meaning and happy when it was kaboshed.  Many locals felt very different.

Well meaning and correct are two different things.  
By "locals" do you mean the people who actually live in the neighborhood where the Amazon building was going to be located who would have had to deal with all the negative impacts associated with gentrification on that scale? Or do you mean New Yorkers who live elsewhere in the city/state who would have gotten all of the economic benefits and none of the burden?

By "locals" do you mean the people who actually live in the neighborhood where the Amazon building was going to be located who would have had to deal with all the negative impacts associated with gentrification on that scale? Or do you mean New Yorkers who live elsewhere in the city/state who would have gotten all of the economic benefits and none of the burden?
General area.Many people wanted it, many did not. The people who did not want Amazon believe Cortez was well meaning, those who wanted it think she was out of line.

The same with Trump.  Trump believes everything he does is well meaning although many would disagree.

I don’t find this to be true. Only yesterday Trump angrily told fellow Republicans he was against sending any more aid to Puerto Rico. That was said out of spite and cruelty IMO. 
I agree..Everything can be disputed. I am talking for the most part.

General area.Many people wanted it, many did not. The people who did not want Amazon believe Cortez was well meaning, those who wanted it think she was out of line.

The same with Trump.  Trump believes everything he does is well meaning although many would disagree.
That doesn't answer my question.  There's a huge difference between saying "New Yorkers wanted it" and "residents of Long Island City wanted it."  The latter is her constituency and her only concern in a gentrification/NIMBY type situation, the former is not. If anything they're the enemy. Which are you talking about?  Maybe if you link to where you're getting your information that would help?

I agree..Everything can be disputed. I am talking for the most part.
Well I can’t think of an example where AOC has ever expressed anything even close to that level of cruelty- can you? That’s why I’m pretty sure she is a good person and he isn’t. 

Well I can’t think of an example where AOC has ever expressed anything even close to that level of cruelty- can you? That’s why I’m pretty sure she is a good person and he isn’t. 
We are totally off track here.  Take Trump out of it because he distorts any conversation here and plug in whoever.

That doesn't answer my question.  There's a huge difference between saying "New Yorkers wanted it" and "residents of Long Island City wanted it."  The latter is her constituency and her only concern in a gentrification/NIMBY type situation, the former is not. If anything they're the enemy. Which are you talking about?  Maybe if you link to where you're getting your information that would help?
There are a bunch on articles on the NY Times about it.  I can`t get it on my phone as you have to subscribe.

There are a bunch on articles on the NY Times about it.  I can`t get it on my phone as you have to subscribe.
So your opinion on who wanted it and who didn't is based on articles you read once, can't currently access, and don't remember well enough to say who they were talking about?

So your opinion on who wanted it and who didn't is based on articles you read once, can't currently access, and don't remember well enough to say who they were talking about?
If I could access I would.  I read so much it is difficult to remember everything..sorry.

If I could access I would.  I read so much it is difficult to remember everything..sorry.
No problem, I appreciate your effort.

I think it's important to distinguish between the two groups here. Of course New Yorkers want the Amazon HQ in Long Island City- they get the economic benefit without any of the negative problems associated with having the facility in their backyard (substantial rent and property value hikes, affordable local businesses shut down, construction headaches, commuting complications, etc.).  AOC and other politicians who represent the local community would not be doing their jobs if they listened to the people who get the benefits while taking on none of the burden. Their job is to represent the people taking on the burden.

Really?  Not a chance on her green earth will she ever be president of the USA.  When she's beaten in her next congress election she will barely be remembered 10 years from now.

Users who are viewing this thread