Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyU

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread

5 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Trump wants to protect Article XII of the Constitution

Welcome to your future, Trump supporters. Every point you ever make about everyone and everything is worthless, hypocritical and deserving of mockery, because your beloved president is worse then pretty much everyone on pretty much everything.

Stick around, though. It's fun for the rest of us!

Excellent post...well not really

7 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

So we are embracing whataboutisms now?  It probably does not even matter whether people are actually Trump supporters because you can just say they are regardless.  

This "no whataboutisms!" stuff has become total nonsense. The word is not a shield for demonstrable hypocrisy or bad faith. It's supposed to refer to illogical efforts to change the subject to something that makes the other side look bad, not obviously relevant comparisons.

If I oppose something Trump or a Republican did, and Obama or a Democrat did something similar that was as bad or worse and I tolerated it, please call me out for it. I would expect it, and honestly would hope for it. I don't want to be a hypocrite and I can admit when I was wrong.

Edited by TobiasFunke
  • Like 2

Someone is not in an excellent mood today.  If you believe another topic is more important, than by all means find the thread that discusses it.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

This "no whataboutisms!" stuff has become total nonsense. The word is not a shield for demonstrable hypocrisy or bad faith. It's supposed to refer to illogical efforts to change the subject to something that makes the other side look bad, not obviously relevant comparisons.

If I oppose something Trump or a Republican did, and Obama or a Democrat did something similar that was as bad or worse and I tolerated it, please call me out for it. I would expect it, and honestly would hope for it. I don't want to be a hypocrite and I can admit when I was wrong.

The illogical efforts is to include everybody as a "Trump Supporter" so you can belittle their points, even if they believe Trump is a POS.  I haven't supported Trump on any of his efforts outside of the Supreme Court.  I opposed most everything he has done, but yet in here, that makes one a Trump Supporter.  If you do not want to discuss AOC, then don't.  :shrug: 

Edited by jon_mx
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

I meant the New Deal in 1933...my bad, it was early.

Early is no excuse for that blunder. How can you get the New Deal and the Great Society confused? Should we question your intelligence? 

Just now, jon_mx said:

Someone is not in an excellent mood today.  If you believe another topic is more important, than by all means find the thread that discusses it.  

Sorry, but I think this is the correct place to discuss the obvious, transparent hypocrisy of conservatives attacking a 29 year old Hispanic female first term congresswoman for her perceived lack of knowledge of government and history while giving the 72 year old white male President of the United States a complete pass for being even less knowledgeable about government and history.

It's a fascinating subject, IMO. What's behind the obvious, transparent hypocrisy? Is it entirely due to ideology or is it rooted in bigotry as well?  Is Fox News filling the void left by Hillary Clinton, and assuming so why did they pick this woman instead of a more powerful Democrat?  Is there something about her that makes them feel threatened, or is she just a useful punching bag?  What do we make about her poll numbers, which reveal that Republicans are far more familiar with her than Democrats even as they claim not to be obsessed? All relevant here, IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Early is no excuse for that blunder. How can you get the New Deal and the Great Society confused? Should we question your intelligence? 

How about ADD?  Can I use that?

6 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Sorry, but I think this is the correct place to discuss the obvious, transparent hypocrisy of conservatives attacking a 29 year old Hispanic female first term congresswoman for her perceived lack of knowledge of government and history while giving the 72 year old white male President of the United States a complete pass for being even less knowledgeable about government and history.

It's a fascinating subject, IMO. What's behind the obvious, transparent hypocrisy? Is it entirely due to ideology or is it rooted in bigotry as well?  Is Fox News filling the void left by Hillary Clinton, and assuming so why did they pick this woman instead of a more powerful Democrat?  Is there something about her that makes them feel threatened, or is she just a useful punching bag?  What do we make about her poll numbers, which reveal that Republicans are far more familiar with her than Democrats even as they claim not to be obsessed? All relevant here, IMO.

A 'complete pass'????  I have called Trump a liar and the "I" word numerous times.  She is making proposals that are impacting the upcoming future presidential elections.  She is pushing the Democrats to the extreme left.  Trump is not going to win the next election.  This young female who you wish to belittle her influence, is driving the current debate of every Democrat running for President.   

Edited by jon_mx
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

The illogical efforts is to include everybody as a "Trump Supporter" so you can belittle their points, even if they believe Trump is a POS.  I haven't supported Trump on any of his efforts outside of the Supreme Court.  I opposed most everything he has done, but yet in here, that makes one a Trump Supporter.  If you do not want to discuss AOC, then don't.  :shrug: 

If you truly were troubled by a high ranking federal employee displaying a lack of knowledge of government ,I would think you'd be more focused on the President than first term congresswoman who clearly knows more than he does and is in a position where the lack of knowledge is far less relevant. Yet you seem to be focused on the opposite.  That makes no sense to me, sorry.

I know you tell yourself it's because there's already enough people trashing Trump, and I do appreciate that you at least don't support the man yourself. But I think we both know people like you speaking up and opposing him carries far more weight than people like me speaking up and opposing him.  And yet this is how you choose to spend time- nitpicking every word uttered in public by a first-term congresswoman so you can find irrelevant minor factual errors (and make some of your own) while a President who made it clear that he didn't know what Article I of the Constitution does during the campaign now governs as if he still doesn't understand it, and gets away with it because so few people on the right are willing to speak out against it.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

If you truly were troubled by a high ranking federal employee displaying a lack of knowledge of government ,I would think you'd be more focused on the President than first term congresswoman who clearly knows more than he does and is in a position where the lack of knowledge is far less relevant. Yet you seem to be focused on the opposite.  That makes no sense to me, sorry.

I know you tell yourself it's because there's already enough people trashing Trump, and I do appreciate that you at least don't support the man yourself. But I think we both know people like you speaking up and opposing him carries far more weight than people like me speaking up and opposing him.  And yet this is how you choose to spend time- nitpicking every word uttered in public by a first-term congresswoman so you can find irrelevant minor factual errors (and make some of your own) while a President who made it clear that he didn't know what Article I of the Constitution does during the campaign now governs as if he still doesn't understand it, and gets away with it because so few people on the right are willing to speak out against it.

As I said above, I do view her as very influencial in today's debate.  I view her vision of government as more dangerous.  Trump is done in a couple years and has a House that will not permit him to pass anything.  He is a lame duck in essence and a joke on the international scene.  His real power is to appoint judges and use his power to reduce enforcement of regulation.  I am more concerned about looney ideas from the far-left being taken seriously.  

8 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Toby I agree with everything you say about Trump..but  this is a thread about Cortez. Trump has his own 5-6 threads. Beto has his own thread, Biden has a thread. In the Cortez thread people talk about Cortez.

• Like 2

Just now, jon_mx said:

As I said above, I do view her as very influencial in today's debate.  I view her vision of government as more dangerous.  Trump is done in a couple years and has a House that will not permit him to pass anything.  He is a lame duck in essence and a joke on the international scene.  His real power is to appoint judges and use his power to reduce enforcement of regulation.  I am more concerned about looney ideas from the far-left being taken seriously.  

I disagree with a lot of this. He just passed an emergency declaration that does an end- around of Congress, which has obvious connections to his lack of a basic understanding of how the Constitution works. And there's a decent chance he'll win next year, despite what you say, in part because conservatives who oppose him don't do so strongly enough and they get drowned out by his supporters and thus the party caters to his every whim.

But regardless, if this is truly how you feel wouldn't you be better served attacking the "looney "ideas (which is interesting and sparks further discussion) than nit-picking her public statements for errors (which looks obsessive and hypocritical and also just leads to people pointing out your errors)?

Obviously you and everyone else is free to take whatever messages and approaches they like. If conservatives what to turn the second half of Trump's first term into an obsessive fact check on AOC, so be it. I'm just explaining why this all seems so silly and misguided to me. In fact it seems like your approach, in which you hold the 29 year old Hispanic first-term congresswoman to a far higher standard than you hold the 72 year old white male president, just turns her into a martyr because she's a victim of obvious hypocrisy and perhaps bigotry.

• Like 1

Like, the President of the United States is lying about levels of aid to Puerto Rico. He's doing that today. His lies are affecting how much aid the people of Puerto Rico will get as they recover from the devastation of a hurricane. People's lives and their well-being is at stake and will be affected by those lies and how strongly the American people (and specifically Republicans) reject them, if they reject them at all. This is happening right now. How can you possibly think a first-term congresswoman's misstatements about the passage of the 22nd Amendment many decades ago is more worthy of your attention than those lies? 

Sorry, I just don't get it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TobiasFunke said:

Like, the President of the United States is lying about levels of aid to Puerto Rico. He's doing that today. His lies are affecting how much aid the people of Puerto Rico will get as they recover from the devastation of a hurricane. People's lives and their well-being is at stake and will be affected by those lies and how strongly the American people (and specifically Republicans) reject them, if they reject them at all. This is happening right now. How can you possibly think a first-term congresswoman's misstatements about the passage of the 22nd Amendment many decades ago is more worthy of your attention than those lies? 

Sorry, I just don't get it.

What is going on in Puerto Rico is sad and it is a pathetic response from Trump.  No doubt.  But I just do not talk about her misstatements on the 22nd Amendment.  I talk about the expense of the high-speed railway she believes can replace all airplanes.  I talk about the need to include nuclear engergy in a solution for greenhouse gas emissions.  I talk about the lack of logic in her opposition to Amazon.  I talk about her false accusations against Wells Fargo.  I talk about her wanting to give living wages to everyone even if they are not willing to work.  This discussion is just the latest one on AOC, and I agree it is not the most important.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

What is going on in Puerto Rico is sad and it is a pathetic response from Trump.  No doubt.  But I just do not talk about her misstatements on the 22nd Amendment.  I talk about the expense of the high-speed railway she believes can replace all airplanes.  I talk about the need to include nuclear engergy in a solution for greenhouse gas emissions.  I talk about the lack of logic in her opposition to Amazon.  I talk about her false accusations against Wells Fargo.  I talk about her wanting to give living wages to everyone even if they are not willing to work.  This discussion is just the latest one on AOC, and I agree it is not the most important.   

Fair enough. I've said my piece. People are free to focus on whatever they like, of course, and I'm free to point out how skewed those priorities seem from my perspective.

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

By the Great Society I presume you are referencing programs from the Johnson era and not the wonderful Grace and Darby Slick album entitle Conspicuous in its .Absence.

2 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

By the Great Society I presume you are referencing programs from the Johnson era and not the wonderful Grace and Darby Slick album entitle Conspicuous in its .Absence.

Would you please move this discussion to the one-hit wonder thread!  :rant:

1 minute ago, jon_mx said:

Would you please move this discussion to the one-hit wonder thread!  :rant:

Darby Slick, maybe, but I will not hear this about Grace! Thems fighting words Mister!  Look how upset you have me, you have me using exclamation points with the frequency of  a prepubescent girl!  Darn you Jon MX, darn you all to heck!

5 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

Darby Slick, maybe, but I will not hear this about Grace! Thems fighting words Mister!  Look how upset you have me, you have me using exclamation points with the frequency of  a prepubescent girl!  Darn you Jon MX, darn you all to heck!

I actually met Grace Slick once.  We had Jefferson Starship play a gig at a local bar.  

6 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

I actually met Grace Slick once.  We had Jefferson Starship play a gig at a local bar.  

Starship was the first sign of the apocalypse.  Airplane was awesome.  Me, I would take Volunteers over Surrealistic Pillow, though most would not.

1 hour ago, parasaurolophus said:

Any bets on how often i would get reported if i started spamming other threads with anti AOC posts? 

I’m betting pretty quick. That would really freak out the people who call anybody who talks about AOC obsessive while they devote every waking minute of their lives crying about Trump.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Widbil83 said:

I’m betting pretty quick. That would really freak out the people who call anybody who talks about AOC obsessive while they devote every waking minute of their lives crying about Trump. 

Hmmm, good point.  Worrying about a first term congresswoman because she doesn't know how the 22nd Amendment was ratified is very similar to worrying about a President of the United States who has shown zero awareness of basic Constitutional principles and who has the power to end human life on earth on a whim and has a history of acting impulsively and recklessly in response to threats.

You've really opened my eyes here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

1 hour ago, TobiasFunke said:

Hmmm, good point.  Worrying about a first term congresswoman because she doesn't know how the 22nd Amendment was ratified is very similar to worrying about a President of the United States who has shown zero awareness of basic Constitutional principles and who has the power to end human life on earth on a whim and has a history of acting impulsively and recklessly in response to threats.  

I think you spelled tweets wrong. ;)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TobiasFunke said:

Sounds great. There is a perfect place for you to worry about these kinds of things.  

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/753767-the-trump-years-every-day-something-more-shocking-than-the-last/

On 4/2/2019 at 8:15 AM, Widbil83 said:

It’s a bit of an obsession with some.

23 hours ago, TobiasFunke said:

Trump knows the oranges of the 22nd Amendment.

On 4/2/2019 at 8:29 AM, jon_mx said:

I meant the New Deal in 1933...my bad, it was early.

Early is no excuse though right?

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez‏Verified account @AOC 14h14 hours ago

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Retweeted Mark Knoller

Congress: “We’re going to need a copy of the President’s tax returns from 2013-2018.”

45: “No, I’m ‘under audit.’ ”

Congress: “We didn’t ask you.”

:wub:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez‏Verified account @AOC 14h14 hours ago

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Retweeted Mark Knoller

Congress: “We’re going to need a copy of the President’s tax returns from 2013-2018.”

45: “No, I’m ‘under audit.’ ”

Congress: “We didn’t ask you.”

:wub:

She’s sure full of herself 

1 minute ago, jerry jones said:

She’s sure full of herself 

Do you mean him?

She just retweeted it.

Boy, she sure has stuck a chord with some of you guys.

1 minute ago, Skoo said:

Do you mean him?

She just retweeted it.

Yeah she retweeted it...just to get attention to herself 

so I guess it works...still full of herself 

Just now, jerry jones said:

Again, it's very funny how threatened some of you seem to be by her.

You're a Trump voter, right? And your mad that another politician is "full of herself"?

See the irony here?

• Like 2

America needs more AOC’s to rejuvenate and revolutionize what America stands for. She could be the leader of the new breed of people start to use their own minds and not what their FOX news overlords tell them to do. 

AOC = Awesomeness

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2

37 minutes ago, jerry jones said:

New to Twitter?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skoo said:

Is schwing a chord?

I find all these posts amusing, and there are lots of them saying, "you guys are obsessed with AOC", or "why are all of you so worried about AOC?".  Well, she puts herself out there for all to see and judge.  Is that abnormal?   She's the attention seeker, so she gets the attention she seeks.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

I find all these posts amusing, and there are lots of them saying, "you guys are obsessed with AOC", or "why are all of you so worried about AOC?".  Well, she puts herself out there for all to see and judge.  Is that abnormal?   She's the attention seeker, so she gets the attention she seeks.

I wonder what other person seems to do that very same thing?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Johnnymac said:

I wonder what other person seems to do that very same thing?

I'm sure it's quite common for other politicians to do the same thing....you know...put themselves out there to be judged and responded to. ;)

Just now, JohnnyU said:

I'm sure it's quite common for other politicians to do the same thing....you know...put themselves out there to be judged and responded to. ;)

I'm aware.  Are you?  We have had president tweet storm for the last 2+ years.  

1 minute ago, Johnnymac said:

I'm aware.  Are you?  We have had president tweet storm for the last 2+ years.  

So?  I don't care that people respond to Trump's tweets, just as those in this forum shouldn't care about responses to AOC, but they do.  That is evident by all the responses, "why are you scared of AOC?", or "You are obsessed with AOC".  

"Actually, you all are the obsessed ones because you keep making fun of our obsession!"

We're through the looking glass!  Good stuff.

• Like 2

Just now, JohnnyU said:

What's wrong with that picture?

nothing?