Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyU

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

In my whole life, in every area work, play, friends, family, acquaintances, I have never heard anyone use the term "white nationalism" in any conversation. Never heard white supremacy either.  Even when I am in large groups of all white people. never.. Only time I have every heard it is on the news or here.

Serious, has anyone heard it used other than in the news or here?

My first wife was a woman of color as the euphemism now goes.  It was not a rare event back in those days for us to be out together and to have persons comment in negative fashions and to use inflammatory words.    I heard race "traitor", "white power", "mud people",  "****** lover" and others, but never white nationalism or white supremacy.

 

Quick story.  Colorado Springs, 30 years ago.  At a mall right around closing time.  My wife and I walked down a spur hallway of closed stores to hit up an ATM.  We needed money to buy some movie tickets, the theater then being about the only thing still open.  Mixed race couples were not unknown in those parts, thanks in large part to the large military contingent, soldiers and airmen taking wives all over the world and then coming back with them.  Still, it was not super common.  Anyhow, three meatheads followed us down the hallway.  One of them had on a white power hat.  They reviled us for a bit and then one spit on my wife.  That individual set off an audible alarm when he went through the plate glass window of the store we were in front of.  This brought mall security, off duty C.S.P.D.  I thought I was going to lose my job as a Prosecutor.  In the end I did not.  

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Of course. 

Among friends or family?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

My first wife was a woman of color as the euphemism now goes.  It was not a rare event back in those days for us to be out together and to have persons comment in negative fashions and to use inflammatory words.    I heard race "traitor", "white power", "mud people",  "****** lover" and others, but never white nationalism or white supremacy.

 

Quick story.  Colorado springs, 30 years a go.  At a mall right around closing time.  My wife and I walked down a spur hallway of closed stores to hit up an ATM.  We needed money to buy some movie tickets, the theater then being about the only thing still open.  Mixed race couples were not unknown in those parts, thanks in large part to the large military contingent, soldiers and airmen taking wives all over the world and then coming back with them.  Still, it was not super common.  Anyhow, three meatheads followed us down the hallway.  One of them had on a white power hat.  The reviled us for a bit and then one spit on my wife.  That individual set off an audible alarm when he went through the plate glass window of the store we were in front of.  This brought mall security, off duty C.S.P.D.  I thought I was going to lose my job as a Prosecutor.  In the end I did not.  

I dated a black girl in college on and off for a year.  We went our many time to the bar, restaurant, wherever.  Never had anyone say a word. In fact I just saw her at a Michigan football game last year and it brought back good memories. Funny thing was she was from Detroit but only dated white guys..ended up marrying a white guy who I met and drank with last fall.  I said to her did you tell him we went out?  She said "No, Lets leave that part out" :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

I dated a black girl in college on and off for a year.  We went our many time to the bar, restaurant, wherever.  Never had anyone say a word. In fact I just saw her at a Michigan football game last year and it brought back good memories. Funny thing was she was from Detroit but only dated white guys..ended up marrying a white guy who I met and drank with last fall.  I said to her did you tell him we went out?  She said "No, Lets leave that part out" :)

Its your little secret.  You two have that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

In my whole life, in every area work, play, friends, family, acquaintances, I have never heard anyone use the term "white nationalism" in any conversation. Never heard white supremacy either.  Even when I am in large groups of all white people. never.. Only time I have every heard it is on the news or here.

Serious, has anyone heard it used other than in the news or here?

I’m from Louisiana and David Duke made it a thing here. So yeah I’ve been hearing it a long long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I’m from Louisiana and David Duke made it a thing here. So yeah I’ve been hearing it a long long time.

"The South will rise again!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

"The South will rise again!"

More like, "New Orleans is a jungle" or "welfare queens are taking over" or "aren't you proud of your heritage?" Until the statues thing it was rarely wrapped in Confederacy talk, really never. Reminder: we surrendered quick and good.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, timschochet said:

While this is all true, it’s also true of radical Islamic terrorism. Yet that worries me too. I don’t feel like I am in personal danger from either one, but I find both to be threatening to our society - with good reason. 

It is true and we have done a great job in reducing the threat and even stopping several attacks before they were pulled off.  The difference between the two is the threat from white nationalists are almost always lone-wolf nut jobs.   The threat from radical islam comes from more coordinated attacks often times with multiple perpetrators.  They also don't have large organizations such as ISLS which can finance and plan attacks which could result in massive causualties. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

Among friends or family?

I had a friend of a friend who was a white nationalist. He disturbed me because he was a nice smart guy. That was 20 years ago, no idea what became of him. 

There is a guy in my Continuing Care (alcoholics anonymous) Thursday night meeting whom I’m pretty sure is one, based on some offhand comments- but politics aren’t discussed in there, and I haven’t asked him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the reason you all never heard much talk about white nationalism until recently is that white nationalism was considered a disgusting and horrifying ideology and any mention of it that wasn't negative would immediately and rightly disqualify the speaker from being taken seriously by virtually everyone until recently?

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Unfortunately a lot of Americans aren’t sophisticated in this. And I thought we had done the country a solid here in Louisiana some time ago. I would have never thought this would be a national conversation in 2019. It would have been shocking and disgusting to Young Me.

And this whole notion above about blending nationalism and white nationalism or pretending the latter doesn’t exist is part of the patter. The people who push this stuff love hearing just that.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Unfortunately a lot of Americans aren’t sophisticated in this. And I thought we had done the country a solid here in Louisiana some time ago. I would have never thought this would be a national conversation in 2019. It would have been shocking and disgusting to Young Me.

And this whole notion above about blending nationalism and white nationalism or pretending the latter doesn’t exist is part of the patter. The people who push this stuff love hearing just that.

White nationalism obviously exists, but the blending occurs both ways.  White nationalist groups playing as patriotic nationalists and nationalists getting painted as white nationalists.

It’s not hard to see why people get confused, especially where immigration is concerned.

Edited by jonessed
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TobiasFunke said:

Maybe the reason you all never heard much talk about white nationalism until recently is that white nationalism was considered a disgusting and horrifying ideology and any mention of it that wasn't negative would immediately and rightly disqualify the speaker from being taken seriously by virtually everyone until recently?

 

I continue to believe that the quantity of racism hasn't changed all that much in recent years. Rather people are much more comfortable spouting their nonsense as their political idols provide them the cover to do so

It has never been enough to simply shoot them down and sweep them under the rug. Hopefully we've learned that lesson. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, The Commish said:

I continue to believe that the quantity of racism hasn't changed all that much in recent years. Rather people are much more comfortable spouting their nonsense as their political idols provide them the cover to do so

It has never been enough to simply shoot them down and sweep them under the rug. Hopefully we've learned that lesson. 

The Internet has provided an easy platform for scumbags of all stripes to find others like them.

Edited by Sheriff Bart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jonessed said:

nationalists getting painted as white nationalists.

 

I don’t understand- what is the difference please? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has nothing to do with AOC, but given the focus on white nationalism and white supremacy the last page or so, I thought it might be worth linking this excellent article from The Atlantic on the long and dark history of white nationalism in America:

Quote

White Nationalism’s Deep American Roots - A long-overdue excavation of the book that Hitler called his “bible,” and the man who wrote it
...
"America has always grappled with, in the words of the immigration historian John Higham, two “rival principles of national unity.” According to one, the U.S. is the champion of the poor and the dispossessed, a nation that draws its strength from its pluralism. According to the other, America’s greatness is the result of its white and Christian origins, the erosion of which spells doom for the national experiment."

Side note, the article above contains a reference and link to an article supporting racist policy in America, but what caused me to pause for a second was that the reason they were able to do so, was that the article was also posted in The Atlantic -- in 1896. I don't think I realized The Atlantic was that old.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ocasio-Cortez on discovering garbage disposals: ‘It is terrifying’

Published: May 7, 2019 11:16 a.m. ET

‘I am told this is a garbage disposal. I’ve never seen a garbage disposal. I never had one in any place I’ve ever lived. It is terrifying. I don’t know what it’s for, or what its purpose is. Like, food scraps? Like, is this environmentally sound?’

Hard to figure out if this is simply schtick or is it really possible to be this dumb?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Ocasio-Cortez on discovering garbage disposals: ‘It is terrifying’

Published: May 7, 2019 11:16 a.m. ET

‘I am told this is a garbage disposal. I’ve never seen a garbage disposal. I never had one in any place I’ve ever lived. It is terrifying. I don’t know what it’s for, or what its purpose is. Like, food scraps? Like, is this environmentally sound?’

Hard to figure out if this is simply schtick or is it really possible to be this dumb?

Did she really say that? She is not a bright one at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking it could be a neurological condition. ;) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG!  the young upstart progressive democrat has never seen a garburator before!  Oh, the humanity of it all!  What a moron!

:rollseyes:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, zoonation said:

OMG!  the young upstart progressive democrat has never seen a garburator before!  Oh, the humanity of it all!  What a moron!

:rollseyes:

It's quite funny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, zoonation said:

OMG!  the young upstart progressive democrat has never seen a garburator before!  Oh, the humanity of it all!  What a moron!

:rollseyes:

Nice try. You are reading it wrong. Not only 'have never seen one'. Ok, fine. But this:  'had no idea what one is'. “I am told this is a garbage disposal." :bag: Her own words. Big difference. She may as well said 'I have no idea what a combine (harvester) is'. My guess is she probably doesn't know what that is as well. I mean this is grade school stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Nice try. You are reading it wrong. Not only 'have never seen one'. Ok, fine. But this:  'had no idea what one is'. “I am told this is a garbage disposal." :bag: Her own words. Big difference. She may as well said 'I have no idea what a combine (harvester) is'. My guess is she probably doesn't know what that is as well. I mean this is grade school stuff.

I think you vastly overestimate what millenials and gen 2020'ers know about old stuff.  More importantly, it has nothing to do with her "intelligence".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I gotta say, I just moved to a place with my 1st garbage disposal and I kind of get where she's coming from. Every food I've looked up is not supposed to go down it. :confused: :lol: 
Can you not imagine that she's  having a little fun with it? It's like Beto and the missing turtle. Political polarization is sucking all the fun out of things.

Edited by Mystery Achiever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

It seems legit story.   I would hope for her sake she is trolling, but this is pretty consistent with her level of brightness. 

https://nypost.com/2019/05/07/ocasio-cortez-blown-away-by-first-experience-with-a-garbage-disposal/

how is this, in any way, indicative of how "bright" she is?  are you referring to the fact that whoever told her it was a "garbage disposal" was trolling her (or got it wrong) and she believed it?  Or that garburators are so ubiquitous that not knowing of their existence is somehow probative of her intelligence?

I honestly don't get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, zoonation said:

how is this, in any way, indicative of how "bright" she is?  are you referring to the fact that whoever told her it was a "garbage disposal" was trolling her (or got it wrong) and she believed it?  Or that garburators are so ubiquitous that not knowing of their existence is somehow probative of her intelligence?

I honestly don't get it.

I honestly don't know how a 29 year old that grew up in a wealthy area of New York doesn't know what a garbage disposal is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The left had a field day mocking Palin and now get offended when one of theirs gets made fun of?  AOC consistently says stuff far dumber than anything Palin said.   Shoot, Quayle got mocked endlessly by the left for being stupid because he did not know potato was misspelled on a que card. 

Edited by jon_mx
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, zoonation said:

I think you vastly overestimate what millenials and gen 2020'ers know about old stuff.  More importantly, it has nothing to do with her "intelligence".

Yeah, well, that I agree with.  I don't want to get banned but you are correct in their knowledge levels. "Old stuff." LOL. I remember as a kid asking why we didn't have one in the kitchen.  You realize they have been a round since the late 20s. Which means they were "old stuff" for us in the 70s as well but we knew what they were. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't wait until she discovers the microwave.  :lmao:

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Yeah, well, that I agree with.  I don't want to get banned but you are correct in their knowledge levels. "Old stuff." LOL. I remember as a kid asking why we didn't have one in the kitchen.  You realize they have been a round since the late 20s. Which means they were "old stuff" for us in the 70s as well but we knew what they were. 

my point was that they are no longer used in new housing projects and haven't been for some time (at least where I live).

in any event, the whole thing is stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, zoonation said:

my point was that they are no longer used in new housing projects and haven't been for some time (at least where I live).

in any event, the whole thing is stupid.

She grew up in a nice house, not a housing project. And my guess is she has relatives she visited it that likely had one too. Like someone said...the left had a field day mocking Palin for some of her comments. When you say something stupid people will laugh at it and have fun with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Mystery Achiever said:

I gotta say, I just moved to a place with my 1st garbage disposal and I kind of get where she's coming from. Every food I've looked up is not supposed to go down it. :confused: :lol: 
Can you not imagine that she's  having a little fun with it? It's like Beto and the missing turtle. Political polarization is sucking all the fun out of things.

IIRC MC Gas Money/RokNRoll or whatever he goes by hadn't lived in a place with a garbage disposal until his most recent apartment in Texas and clogged it up with an apple core, not thinking the seeds in it were any problem.

Unlikely this was her first exposure to a garbage disposal but it is possible. 

Yes, she may be having a little fun with this, look at who has gotten triggered by this here and on social media:

https://twitter.com/search?q=Aoc garbage disposal&src=tyah

Edited by squistion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, squistion said:

IIRC MC Gas Money/RokNRoll or whatever he goes by hadn't lived in a place with a garbage disposal until his most recent apartment in Texas and clogged it up with an apple core, not thinking the seeds in it were any problem.

Unlikely this was her first exposure to a garbage disposal but it is possible. 

Yes, she may be having a little fun with this, look at who has gotten triggered by this here and on social media:

https://twitter.com/search?q=Aoc garbage disposal&src=tyah

No one is triggered...it's hysterically funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Also, if she really does not know what a garbage disposal is then have the common sense to not bring it up.

Edited by John Blutarsky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Garbage disposals are extremely common in the US, even more common than dishwashers.  NY City on the other hand banned garbage disposals for some time and are kind of rare there.  Still funny. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, jon_mx said:

Garbage disposals are extremely common in the US, even more common than dishwashers.  NY City on the other hand banned garbage disposals for some time and are kind of rare there.  Still funny. 

She didn't grow up in NY City. She grew up in a nice house in Westchester County..and yes it is quite funny.

Edited by John Blutarsky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Blutarsky said:

Makes perfect sense why she was a bartender.

A BU :lol: grad 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, zoonation said:

my point was that they are no longer used in new housing projects and haven't been for some time (at least where I live).

in any event, the whole thing is stupid.

I'd prefer the people promoting green new deals to be familiar with the different ways garbage is disposed of.  It's because of environmental reasons some places no longer use them or have banned them in the past.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jon_mx said:

The left had a field day mocking Palin and now get offended when one of theirs gets made fun of?  AOC consistently says stuff far dumber than anything Palin said.   Shoot, Quayle got mocked endlessly by the left for being stupid because he did not know potato was misspelled on a que card. 

Palin was mocked for being a vice-presidential candidate who didn't know anything about geo-political matters.  You think that is the same thing?  okay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Blutarsky said:

She didn't grow up in NY City. She grew up in a nice house in Westchester County..and yes it is quite funny.

that place she grew up in was really nice...how many square feet do you think it was?  800?  1000 even?

this narrative that she led some upper middle class privileged life is total bs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Her stupidity fascinates me. She's kind of like a zoo animal. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.