Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyU

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread

Recommended Posts

Since late 1999, I’ve lived in 6 apartments in 5 Brooklyn/Manhattan neighborhoods. Not only have I never had a garbage disposal, I’ve never known anyone living in the city to have one. I’ve seen full bathrooms with no sinks, a loft with the shower stall in the kitchen, W/D units might be anywhere (so long as it’s wet over wet - has to be a bathroom or kitchen in the space directly below.) But garbage disposal? Not since I left Michigan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Since late 1999, I’ve lived in 6 apartments in 5 Brooklyn/Manhattan neighborhoods. Not only have I never had a garbage disposal, I’ve never known anyone living in the city to have one. I’ve seen full bathrooms with no sinks, a loft with the shower stall in the kitchen, W/D units might be anywhere (so long as it’s wet over wet - has to be a bathroom or kitchen in the space directly below.) But garbage disposal? Not since I left Michigan.

Thank you. This is my understanding as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@El Floppo - ever had a garbage disposal in a NYC apartment you lived in? How about new construction or designs you’ve worked on - is that a thing now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jon_mx said:

I am confused who said that.   It is certainly not well off, but it is a nice middle class income.   Yorkshire Heights is probably much more affordable than Manhatten. 

It was just a little shot at @jonessed and he apparently got the bat signal :)

 

He has been big on the 250K is barely middle class in certain parts of the country

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jon_mx said:

Sure, why not?  The whole thought process of first being terrified and then wondering if it is environmentally friendly shows her thought process and how little she thinks before speaking.  Her depth of thought is very limited to far-left rhetoric.   

So she correctly figured out intuitively that garbage disposals are not environmentally friendly?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt many people in their 20’s or younger knows what one is. Garbage disposals are an American thing as well. I know what one is but I never use the one I have nor have I used one when growing up. I’ve always had access to one but never used it. 

If the worst thing about AOC is that she doesn’t know what a garbage disposal is, she’s doing a lot in her life correctly. The Right is reaching at everything possible, small or big, to discredit her in the near term and long term. No doubt this garbage disposal “issue” comes up in 10 years when she is running for re-election to the presidency. No doubt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I can understand never having had a garbage disposal. They are ubiquitous in my life, but apparently not so in the lives of New Yorkers.  What I do not understand is not being familiar with them at least through cinema.  Many is the horror movie or action movie where they are used as means of torture.  It would be hard to not have seen such a scene more than once.

Still, is this a big issue, not for me.  Is she trolling, stupid, unworldly, I don't know.  What I do know is she is yet again in the news and yet again a lightening rod.

 

I do wonder at what statements I may have made the first time I saw an unfamiliar appliance or fixture, like the public pissers in Holland or the squat over toilet holes in Bangkok.

 

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BobbyLayne said:

@El Floppo - ever had a garbage disposal in a NYC apartment you lived in? How about new construction or designs you’ve worked on - is that a thing now?

Didn't used to be legal in the city. Changed around 2000. Starting to revert back to illegal, but on a building by building basis.

Eta. Thought you summoned me to the NYC thread. Wtf. Not just the PF, but what I can only imagine is the most disgusting dregs of the PF in this thread. What do garbage disposals have to do with anything here?

Edited by El Floppo
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Didn't used to be legal in the city. Changed around 2000. Starting to revert back to illegal, but on a building by building basis.

Eta. Thought you summoned me to the NYC thread. Wtf. Not just the PF, but what I can only imagine is the most disgusting dregs of the PF in this thread. What do garbage disposals have to do with anything here?

Not sure, I didn’t read the story, but I surmised that apparently AOC now has a garbage disposal (maybe in her D.C. apartment?) & many thought it was unbelievable that she had never seen a garbage disposal. 

If I have the gist of that correct, seems not only plausible but probable that a millennial who grew up in NYC had never encountered a gd in any place they had lived in until they moved to another city (presumably she never saw one at BU or BC or wherever she went.)

How is the NYC thread these days? Major still dropping Per Se & Employees Only every time someone asks for rec?

Edited by BobbyLayne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have good news!

Casey Neistat is selling his condo

Same price he paid for it two years ago. Featured in Vogue or Arch Digest or sumtin’ last fall. Besides the 3 en suite bedrooms, this pad has a ####### garbage disposal. 

You might think $1670 /sq ft is on the high side, but most newish developments in lower Manhattan are north of $2K. Granted BPC is only technically part of NYC - it didn’t exist until they dumped fill from the original WTC complex over there - but hey, amenity rich, bike path, parks, shopping, Holocaust Museum. Run don’t walk.

ETA: Casey moved to California. New York City is officially over now.

ETA2: High school dropout who used to live in a trailer park How can you not love that guy?

Edited by BobbyLayne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bottomfeeder Sports said:

So she correctly figured out intuitively that garbage disposals are not environmentally friendly?  

Do I read into this correctly that you believe they are not environmentally friendly?  For some reason I'm very interested in the question.  It seems most of what I read in Google search articles suggests they are better for the environment than throwing the food in the regular trash. I'd like to read the opposing opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bottomfeeder Sports said:

So she correctly figured out intuitively that garbage disposals are not environmentally friendly?  

Link? 

Better than landfills.  If everyone would compost it would be ideal. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:
2 hours ago, Bottomfeeder Sports said:

So she correctly figured out intuitively that garbage disposals are not environmentally friendly?  

Do I read into this correctly that you believe they are not environmentally friendly?  For some reason I'm very interested in the question.  It seems most of what I read in Google search articles suggests they are better for the environment than throwing the food in the regular trash. I'd like to read the opposing opinion.

I trusted this

17 hours ago, tonydead said:

I'd prefer the people promoting green new deals to be familiar with the different ways garbage is disposed of.  It's because of environmental reasons some places no longer use them or have banned them in the past.

Now I don't necessarily trust that the governments that banned them didn't have their own biases factoring in their cost - benefits analysis, but I think the fact that there are such bans makes asking the question anything but a sign of lack of intelligence.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Do I read into this correctly that you believe they are not environmentally friendly?  For some reason I'm very interested in the question.  It seems most of what I read in Google search articles suggests they are better for the environment than throwing the food in the regular trash. I'd like to read the opposing opinion.

 

34 minutes ago, Bottomfeeder Sports said:

I trusted this

Now I don't necessarily trust that the governments that banned them didn't have their own biases factoring in their cost - benefits analysis, but I think the fact that there are such bans makes asking the question anything but a sign of lack of intelligence.

It depends.  Generally I think garbage disposals are better for the environment than putting food into the landfill.  The top choice being composting.  But it really depends where you live and what the water treatment facilities are set up for.  Two conditions I know of that make garbage disposing worse for the environment:

1- Near water ways where water treatment facilities are not set up to turn the waist into bio-fuel and it would be dumped back into the water system and can change the chemical composition of the water which would be harmful to the wildlife (fish).  This is a worse situation than going to a controlled land fill.

2- The sewer systems aren't set up to handle the fats and oils generated by the garbage disposals that caused a lot of maintenance and plumbing problems.  Again, landfill would be a better environmental choice.

This just goes to show that not only is it important to understand how waste is disposed, but, also understand that the best environmental choice often isn't universal for every situation.

ETA:  For #2 it's never recommended to use a garbage disposal on a septic system for that reason.

Edited by tonydead
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tonydead said:

 

It depends.  Generally I think garbage disposals are better for the environment than putting food into the landfill.  The top choice being composting.  But it really depends where you live and what the water treatment facilities are set up for.  Two conditions I know of that make garbage disposing worse for the environment:

1- Near water ways where water treatment facilities are not set up to turn the waist into bio-fuel and it would be dumped back into the water system and can change the chemical composition of the water which would be harmful to the wildlife (fish).  This is a worse situation than going to a controlled land fill.

2- The sewer systems aren't set up to handle the fats and oils generated by the garbage disposals that caused a lot of maintenance and plumbing problems.  Again, landfill would be a better environmental choice.

This just goes to show that not only is it important to understand how waste is disposed, but, also understand that the best environmental choice often isn't universal for every situation.

By biases I mean both where the cost and benefits are predetermined in some prejudicial fashion, but also real concerns that face a locality.   I think individual composting in dense urban settings would create its own set of problems, but if we pretend that we could get people to separate out recycling now then I could imagine separating out items that could be composted being feasible.  For landfill vs water system I was thinking along the line of capacities.  In some areas water treatment and/or water supplies are closer to full capacity than landfill space.  But with stories of trash washing ashore after being dumped in the ocean we know that some places lack landfill capacity.  I guess it also depends on how many more trips to a landfill by polluting trucks.  Etc. Etc.

I'm of the opinion that this likely not a one size fits all answer.  While I suspect that AOC had such a "one size" answer already in mine when she did this video and asked the question, the reality is she just asked the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, tonydead said:

 

It depends.  Generally I think garbage disposals are better for the environment than putting food into the landfill.  The top choice being composting.  But it really depends where you live and what the water treatment facilities are set up for.  Two conditions I know of that make garbage disposing worse for the environment:

1- Near water ways where water treatment facilities are not set up to turn the waist into bio-fuel and it would be dumped back into the water system and can change the chemical composition of the water which would be harmful to the wildlife (fish).  This is a worse situation than going to a controlled land fill.

2- The sewer systems aren't set up to handle the fats and oils generated by the garbage disposals that caused a lot of maintenance and plumbing problems.  Again, landfill would be a better environmental choice.

This just goes to show that not only is it important to understand how waste is disposed, but, also understand that the best environmental choice often isn't universal for every situation.

It also comes down to how each facility handles the methane produced.  Some landfills have been better at capturing it to use than others have.  Most water treatment facilities are better equipped to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BobbyLayne said:

Not sure, I didn’t read the story, but I surmised that apparently AOC now has a garbage disposal (maybe in her D.C. apartment?) & many thought it was unbelievable that she had never seen a garbage disposal. 

If I have the gist of that correct, seems not only plausible but probable that a millennial who grew up in NYC had never encountered a gd in any place they had lived in until they moved to another city (presumably she never saw one at BU or BC or wherever she went.)

How is the NYC thread these days? Major still dropping Per Se & Employees Only every time someone asks for rec?

Fwiw, I've never had a disposal in 30 years in NYC.

Eta... And I assume mouth breathers want to make a political agenda out of a garbage disposal.

Edited by El Floppo
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

LOL at the excuses made for this woman.  

Nuanced excuses

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

That garbage disposal bit had to be fake. She isnt some Amish person visiting a city for the first time. 

The city she lives in and represents had a blanket ban on any garbage disposals until 1997.   And very few are there now.

Edited by Henry Ford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Blutarsky said:

She didn’t grow up in an apartment in New York City. 

New York City isn't the only place in New York with septic tanks.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

The city she lives in and represents had a blanket ban on any garbage disposals until 1997.   And very few are there now.

So what? I never had a rotary telephone or a telegraph. I still know what they are. 

Its not like it was a swamp cooler. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, parasaurolophus said:

So what? I never had a rotary telephone or a telegraph. I still know what they are. 

Its not like it was a swamp cooler. 

I would say it actually is more like a swamp cooler than a rotary phone or telegraph.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's true, they are so scared of her.  They are little boys running from the first little girl that paid them any attention.  It's borderline embarrassing.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

I would say it actually is more like a swamp cooler than a rotary phone or telegraph.  

Not when you talk about penetration of homes. Half of US households have a garbage disposal. 

I would bet the number of states with more than a million garbage disposals in use outnumbers the number of states with 10,000 swamp coolers in use in homes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, killface said:

It's true, they are so scared of her.  They are little boys running from the first little girl that paid them any attention.  It's borderline embarrassing.

 

 

Mario kart alias? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, killface said:

It's true, they are so scared of her.  They are little boys running from the first little girl that paid them any attention.  It's borderline embarrassing.

 

 

So when the left was laughing at Palin were they scared of her?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, John Blutarsky said:

So when the left was laughing at Palin were they scared of her?

Palin wasn't a 1st year congress woman...she was a potential VP in the headlines every day

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Mario kart alias? 

I prefer donkey kong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, parasaurolophus said:

Not when you talk about penetration of homes. Half of US households have a garbage disposal. 

I would bet the number of states with more than a million garbage disposals in use outnumbers the number of states with 10,000 swamp coolers in use in homes. 

In 1960 78% of U.S. households had a telephone.  In 1970, 90% of U.S. households had a telephone.   The household push button phone wasn't even introduced until 1963. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Not when you talk about penetration of homes. Half of US households have a garbage disposal. 

I would bet the number of states with more than a million garbage disposals in use outnumbers the number of states with 10,000 swamp coolers in use in homes. 

Also, this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jon_mx said:

Link? 

Better than landfills.  If everyone would compost it would be ideal. 

 

 

Better than landfills is a pretty low bar. ####, burning your own trash in your backyard is likely better than landfills - doesn't make it a solid environmental choice though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

In 1960 78% of U.S. households had a telephone.  In 1970, 90% of U.S. households had a telephone.   The household push button phone wasn't even introduced until 1963. 

How about telegraphs? 

Swamp coolers are a regional thing with limited market share. Garbage disposals are still common even in new york

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, parasaurolophus said:

How about telegraphs? 

Swamp coolers are a regional thing with limited market share. Garbage disposals are still common even in new york

Telegraphs were generally not in homes at all, and are an historical curiosity.  We get taught about it in schools, and I would suggest that most people don't even know you could sent telegraph messages until about fifteen years ago.

And regional differences are exactly what I'm talking about.  Not knowing what a garbage disposal is in New York doesn't seem that different from not knowing what a swamp cooler is in, for instance, the Rocky Mountains.  It's only a guess, but it's a pretty similar percentage I would think.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the moops said:

Better than landfills is a pretty low bar. ####, burning your own trash in your backyard is likely better than landfills - doesn't make it a solid environmental choice though. 

Landfills is still where most food ends up, so that the bar it needs to clear 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Telegraphs were generally not in homes at all, and are an historical curiosity.  We get taught about it in schools, and I would suggest that most people don't even know you could sent telegraph messages until about fifteen years ago.

And regional differences are exactly what I'm talking about.  Not knowing what a garbage disposal is in New York doesn't seem that different from not knowing what a swamp cooler is in, for instance, the Rocky Mountains.  It's only a guess, but it's a pretty similar percentage I would think.

 

She didnt grow up in new york city. She lived in yorktown heights until 2016. She may not have had one in her house, but I bet neighbors and friends certainly did. 

The number of people that don't know what a garbage disposal is has to be incredibly small. You have to have your head in the sand. You certainly can't be a movie fan and have to ignore countless references. 

There is no way she didn't know what it was. It was a bit. This is just more of her class mobility and I am just a girl from the bronx schtick.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, parasaurolophus said:

She didnt grow up in new york city. She lived in yorktown heights until 2016. She may not have had one in her house, but I bet neighbors and friends certainly did. 

The number of people that don't know what a garbage disposal is has to be incredibly small. You have to have your head in the sand. You certainly can't be a movie fan and have to ignore countless references. 

There is no way she didn't know what it was. It was a bit. This is just more of her class mobility and I am just a girl from the bronx schtick.  

Any area with septic systems is unlikely to have disposals. 

This is a super weird thing to not believe someone about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John Blutarsky said:

So when the left was laughing at Palin were they scared of her?

I was

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, timschochet said:

I was

I appreciate you honesty. How were you scared of her?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Any area with septic systems is unlikely to have disposals. 

This is a super weird thing to not believe someone about.

I think I saw the average is about 22%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, John Blutarsky said:

I appreciate you honesty. How were you scared of her?

Shouldn’t be that difficult to figure out...when she first appeared McCain surged ahead of Obama in the polls. McCain had cancer and other medical problems. I figured if he won there was very good chance she would be President. She appeared to me to be an uninterested, uninformed nincompoop with terrible ideas, so I wanted her nowhere near the Presidency. Up until that point I would have voted for McCain, I was a big fan. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

Any area with septic systems is unlikely to have disposals. 

This is a super weird thing to not believe someone about.

Her house and the houses around it all had septic systems? Is that what you are saying?

It is super weird to not know what a garbage disposal is. It isn't super weird that she didnt have one, obviously 50% chance of that and her house didn't have one. This isnt some weird obscure thing. It is literally in like 30 movies. 

Her own words show how she is just trying to play up an image. 

Quote

They were illegal in NYC for a long time and never really became a thing after the ban was lifted,

This is all part of trying to play up the "I am just a girl from the bronx" act. A person that only lived in NYC for like 3 years of their post preschool life wouldn't say that unless they were trying to play up an image. 

This would be like Marshon Lattimore saying he didn't know what a basement is because basements just aren't a thing in New Orleans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Her house and the houses around it all had septic systems? Is that what you are saying?

It is super weird to not know what a garbage disposal is. It isn't super weird that she didnt have one, obviously 50% chance of that and her house didn't have one. This isnt some weird obscure thing. It is literally in like 30 movies. 

Her own words show how she is just trying to play up an image. 

This is all part of trying to play up the "I am just a girl from the bronx" act. A person that only lived in NYC for like 3 years of their post preschool life wouldn't say that unless they were trying to play up an image. 

This would be like Marshon Lattimore saying he didn't know what a basement is because basements just aren't a thing in New Orleans. 

It really isn’t.  It would be like Lattimore not knowing what a garbage disposal is, which I’d buy.  Haven’t had many in south Louisiana. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

an historical curiosity. 

Let's back up, is it "an"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

She didnt grow up in new york city. She lived in yorktown heights until 2016. She may not have had one in her house, but I bet neighbors and friends certainly did. 

The number of people that don't know what a garbage disposal is has to be incredibly small. You have to have your head in the sand. You certainly can't be a movie fan and have to ignore countless references. 

There is no way she didn't know what it was. It was a bit. This is just more of her class mobility and I am just a girl from the bronx schtick.  

Is this a hill you want to thrive on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

Let's back up, is it "an"?

“A” is more common, I find “an” smoother in my own speech and I type how I speak. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

Is this a hill you want to thrive on?

The phoney narrative put out about this Hollywood-like creation is interesting with the media and the left eating it all up as if it was true is funny.  The defense of her ignorant statements and shallow agenda which is basically communism wrapped in faux environmentalism is also humorous.   She deserves to be made fun of for her constant attention-seeking antics and her ridiculous arm-waving over the top rhetoric.   The far-left so badly wants to put her on a pedestal so she can champion their vision of government-based economic agenda whose foundation is simply printing an endless supply money.  

Edited by jon_mx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.