Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyU

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

She was referring to the overarching idea and not a specific garden in Brooklyn. I think this is zero in noteworthiness but it made some great headlines like “Cauliflower is racist.” If what she says is dumb, it is almost always followed be equally as dumb reactions. 

The overreaching idea is nothing but more rhetoric designed to push how minorities are oppressed in every way. 

It is stupid to bring up. You cant call a place a food desert but then also say that the reason the community garden didnt work is because you had colonialist food. I would bet the number of food items in a gas station convenience store that arent "colonial" is pretty small. 

It is especially ridiculous to even use cauliflower as an example. 

According to Christine Couvelier, a culinary trendologist (yes, that's the job title, not a word I made up, although somebody surely did) at Metro News, this cruciferous veggie will outdo even kale as a favored recipe and menu ingredient in 2014.

In Mexico, cauliflower has been a market staple for as long as I can remember — since 1987. No hype required, just lovely heads of white florets standing out among the greens in the mercado. When I first started shopping at the Cholula market all those years ago, coliflor was one of the vegetables that were comfortingly familiar, well before even broccoli started showing up on a regular basis.

In fact due to the year round expectation these days of fruits and vegetables there arent very many things that arent regularly grown south of the border. Just look at the produce section labels next time you are at the gas station. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

The overreaching idea is nothing but more rhetoric designed to push how minorities are oppressed in every way. 

It is stupid to bring up. You cant call a place a food desert but then also say that the reason the community garden didnt work is because you had colonialist food. I would bet the number of food items in a gas station convenience store that arent "colonial" is pretty small. 

It is especially ridiculous to even use cauliflower as an example. 

According to Christine Couvelier, a culinary trendologist (yes, that's the job title, not a word I made up, although somebody surely did) at Metro News, this cruciferous veggie will outdo even kale as a favored recipe and menu ingredient in 2014.

In Mexico, cauliflower has been a market staple for as long as I can remember — since 1987. No hype required, just lovely heads of white florets standing out among the greens in the mercado. When I first started shopping at the Cholula market all those years ago, coliflor was one of the vegetables that were comfortingly familiar, well before even broccoli started showing up on a regular basis.

In fact due to the year round expectation these days of fruits and vegetables there arent very many things that arent regularly grown south of the border. Just look at the produce section labels next time you are at the gas station. 

 

Yeah I know it was a bad example. We’ve covered that. This is really unimportant in the big picture of the world politics right now imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:

Hinkley Jr. thinks this kind of obsession is odd. 

Old schooling it, I like it. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jon_mx said:

 

 

Sen. Bernie Sanders and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez did not appear onstage together Monday night when they took their turns at the mic roughly 45 minutes apart during the rally for the Green New Deal, nor did either mention the other by name. But merely being present in the same auditorium at roughly the same time was enough to spark chatter. Sanders, according to the original headline of a Politico article published right before he delivered his speech, is in “hot pursuit” of AOC’s endorsement. So too, according to the report, is Sen. Elizabeth Warren.

But neither Sanders nor Warren is going to be the nominee and I’m pretty sure you know that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, timschochet said:

But neither Sanders nor Warren is going to be the nominee and I’m pretty sure you know that. 

I don't know that.  But regardless, AOC is driving debate topics.  The Green New Deal is probably the most discussed topic.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jon_mx said:

I don't know that.  But regardless, AOC is driving debate topics.  The Green New Deal is probably the most discussed topic.  

If she’s driving the election, she’s doing it in the same way Sistah Souljah drove the 1992 election. In other words, AOC will be a tool used to make Joe Biden appear reasonable. The Green New Deal will be a tool used to make Joe Biden’s environmental plan appear moderate. I don’t mean be cynical; I’m not saying that anyone is planning all of this, only that this is the way it will work out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful.  If you eat European you’re supporting colonialism, but if you eat non-European you are appropriating culture.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Yeah I know it was a bad example. We’ve covered that. This is really unimportant in the big picture of the world politics right now imo.

Trying to turn everything into a rich vs poor or white vs brown issue is kind of a big deal I think. Especially in this context. She is literally trying to win over support for her green new deal by making it sound like there is some shady ploy where urban gardens are exclusively growing white people vegetables or that there is even such a thing really. 

I mean seriously what is she talking about? It isn't like these things are loaded up with swiss chard and lingonberries and that's it. Do you know how hard it was for me to even think of those two examples? Thought of brussels sprouts but in reading learned that they come from the exact same species as cauliflower and guess what? They are one of the fastest growing crops in mexico. Thought about radishes, but here is actually an annual event known as Noche de Los Rábanos(night of the radishes)

The whole thing is absurd. 

ETA: Oh hell, found some data from many years ago where we were importing 99.8% of our swiss chard from mexico. lingonberries seem to be holding strong though.

 

 

 

Edited by parasaurolophus
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be really surprised if The Green New Deal becomes a big topic in presidential debates from the Democratic side.  Questions on climate change and the environment?  Absolutely.  The Green New Deal?  Probably not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, parasaurolophus said:

Trying to turn everything into a rich vs poor or white vs brown issue is kind of a big deal I think. Especially in this context. She is literally trying to win over support for her green new deal by making it sound like there is some shady ploy where urban gardens are exclusively growing white people vegetables or that there is even such a thing really. 

Wait til she finds out about Oprah's cauliflower crust pizza.
But, honestly, I would call it more garden variety (no pun intended) political pandering (that I still dislike) more than a particularly big deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, timschochet said:

But neither Sanders nor Warren is going to be the nominee and I’m pretty sure you know that. 

I think it's way too early to say that so definitively.  Sanders is currently in second place, and Warren is one just a handful of candidates polling above 2%, which puts her at least in the "B" tier.  It would not be remotely shocking to see either of them win the nomination.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at that new Quinnipiac poll, Bernie is polling across ideologies, but Liz looks too reliant on progressives. And whites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mystery Achiever said:

Looking at that new Quinnipiac poll, Bernie is polling across ideologies, but Liz looks too reliant on progressives. And whites.

Lingonberry party 2020! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Mystery Achiever said:

Wait til she finds out about Oprah's cauliflower crust pizza.
But, honestly, I would call it more garden variety (no pun intended) political pandering (that I still dislike) more than a particularly big deal.

Wait til she learns yucca is white, on the inside.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:
34 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

The perfect impersonation.

Thought for sure it was going to be this.

Hey! I still don't know what to put down mine. :bag:
And, on the other, I was 2 minutes in before noticing the date. Amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She questioned Carson today (I think today) about the One Strike Rule and No-Fault Policy. I thought she did a very good job - Link.

I know a lot of people like jon think she is dumb. But she sure seems to do a lot of good questioning in committee (regardless of whether you agree with her position).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mystery Achiever said:

Looking at that new Quinnipiac poll, Bernie is polling across ideologies, but Liz looks too reliant on progressives. And whites.

He's got pretty much the same limitations as she does. Starting with no black support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whoknew said:

She questioned Carson today (I think today) about the One Strike Rule and No-Fault Policy. I thought she did a very good job - Link.

I know a lot of people like jon think she is dumb. But she sure seems to do a lot of good questioning in committee (regardless of whether you agree with her position).

I'm all for poking at the dumb.  It's funny not being able to muster a peep regarding Carson and Devos and their level of intelligence and they are cabinet officials.  Pretty good illustration of my point above.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mystery Achiever said:

Hey! I still don't know what to put down mine. :bag:
And, on the other, I was 2 minutes in before noticing the date. Amazing.

It was both spot on and way before it's time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, whoknew said:

She questioned Carson today (I think today) about the One Strike Rule and No-Fault Policy. I thought she did a very good job - Link.

She keeps batting one thousand and keeps hitting on all cylinders. It's awesome to see/hear someone like her in our government. If only more people would follow her lead. She is truly a great leader.

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, whoknew said:

She questioned Carson today (I think today) about the One Strike Rule and No-Fault Policy. I thought she did a very good job - Link.

I know a lot of people like jon think she is dumb. But she sure seems to do a lot of good questioning in committee (regardless of whether you agree with her position).

That's the best I've seen out of her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 5:00 PM, The Commish said:

At least a couple dozen pages later and my comment is still the same....if we put a tenth of the energy towards scrutinizing Trump's behavior, comments etc that we are in this freshman Congresswoman we'd be a lot better off as a country and Trump probably isn't even in office today....something to think about....nah, who am I kidding :lmao: 

ETA:  Turns out just 6-7 pages...point remains.  Truly amazing.

One of the craziest out of touch things I have ever seen written in the PSF.  Is the 3000 page Trump bashing thread not enough for you?  :lmao:

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

One of the craziest out of touch things I have ever seen written in the PSF.  Is the 3000 page Trump bashing thread not enough for you?  :lmao:

The thought of our little discussions on this magic football board being consequential is kind of funny too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, IC FBGCav said:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/5/21/18634407/2020-primary-democrats-black-voters-poll-blackpac

Your opinion is wrong again Mit.  It's like you try to be wrong.  

The story that you posted -- but obviously didn't read very carefully -- links to the following Washington Post article that pretty much supports Tim's position:

Quote

In these recent polls, Quinnipiac said Biden had 42 percent support among nonwhite Democrats. CNN put his nonwhite support at 50 percent. Biden’s closest competitor among Democratic and Democratic-leaning voters of all races, Sanders, won 14 percent of the nonwhite vote in the CNN poll and 7 percent in Quinnipiac. Sens. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) and Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.) each earned less than 10 percent of the nonwhite vote in these polls. The Hill/HarrisX and Harvard-Harris both have Biden leading Sanders by over 30 points with African American voters.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

The story that you posted -- but obviously didn't read very carefully -- links to the following Washington Post article that pretty much supports Tim's position:

 

The numbers could change- we haven’t had the debates obviously. And there are significant differences between southern and northern blacks. 

But modern history suggests that southern blacks, who are the single most important bloc in terms of deciding who the Democratic nominee will be, are traditionally conservative, pro-establishment. That doesn’t bode well for Sanders or Warren (or Buttigieg either for different reasons.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 5:00 PM, The Commish said:

At least a couple dozen pages later and my comment is still the same....if we put a tenth of the energy towards scrutinizing Trump's behavior, comments etc that we are in this freshman Congresswoman we'd be a lot better off as a country and Trump probably isn't even in office today....something to think about....nah, who am I kidding :lmao: 

ETA:  Turns out just 6-7 pages...point remains.  Truly amazing.

:lol: 1/10th of the amount of time. Yeah I think we got that covered by a long shot. lol

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

The story that you posted -- but obviously didn't read very carefully -- links to the following Washington Post article that pretty much supports Tim's position:

 

Maybe cav was trying to be wrong? Although maybe he was actually talking about some guy named Mit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mario Kart said:

She keeps batting one thousand and keeps hitting on all cylinders. It's awesome to see/hear someone like her in our government. If only more people would follow her lead

This is the best current shtick on fbg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, parasaurolophus said:

Wait til she learns yucca is white, on the inside.

There is a saying that something is all pink on the inside but I forget what it is right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, tonydead said:

:lol: 1/10th of the amount of time. Yeah I think we got that covered by a long shot. lol

It's not close.  Sure there's a good effort to keep up, but the quantity of things in sheer volume would lend it to dozens of threads with thousands of pages each if we scrutinized all of Trump's statements/positions/actions to the level that's going on in here....I thought dedicating a tenth was a stretch given the quantity that really should be covered :shrug: 

As it is today we pick and choose the absurdity de jour with Trump and his administration....it was a mere suggestion that this be supplemented by those focused on AOC with this sort of vigor to perhaps shift focus off a freshman congresswoman just cutting her teeth in politics towards those actually driving the bus....even I know that's a big ask.  I mean, clearly we need to focus on AOC's comments around cauliflower in lieu of the comments Devos made around lack of school choice being like that of Nazi Germany or Carson as HUD secretary not knowing what an REO was.  They are just cabinet members in the most dysfunctional cabinet ever.

Edited by The Commish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, tonydead said:

:lol: 1/10th of the amount of time. Yeah I think we got that covered by a long shot. lol

I’m on mobile but we used to be able to check how many times posters posted in a thread. It’d be curious to see the amount of posts / obsession some posters have over AOC. An effective leader, like AOC, receives scorn while an ineffective leader, like Trump, receives praise. Check the post counts. 

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mario Kart said:

It’d be curious to see the amount of posts / obsession some posters have over AOC.

Well what do you expect? Colin Kaepernick isn’t in the news these days. Where else are these guys going to hide out? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Commish said:

It's not close.  Sure there's a good effort to keep up, but the quantity of things in sheer volume would lend it to dozens of threads with thousands of pages each if we scrutinized all of Trump's statements/positions/actions to the level that's going on in here....I thought dedicating a tenth was a stretch given the quantity that really should be covered :shrug: 

So would one trump thread with 1450 pages end this dumb tangent? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

So would one trump thread with 1450 pages end this dumb tangent? 

That's one of dozens of topics.  Feel free not participate in the "dumb tangent" (which is really just an observation of absurdity if we're being honest here) and get back to discussing how dumb AOC's comments about cauliflower are though....clearly this needs to be resolved!  I don't want to be responsible for getting in the way of that meeting of the minds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mario Kart said:

I’m on mobile but we used to be able to check how many times posters posted in a thread. It’d be curious to see the amount of posts / obsession some posters have over AOC. An effective leader, like AOC, receives scorn while an ineffective leader, like Trump, receives praise. Check the post counts. 

Wait.  How many people on this forum praise trump?  You guys reading same threads I do?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Well what do you expect? Colin Kaepernick isn’t in the news these days. Where else are these guys going to hide out? 

Says the guy posting here starting before 6am many days and going all day every day.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Commish said:

That's one of dozens of topics.  Feel free not participate in the "dumb tangent" (which is really just an observation of absurdity if we're being honest here) and get back to discussing how dumb AOC's comments about cauliflower are though....clearly this needs to be resolved!  I don't want to be responsible for getting in the way of that meeting of the minds.

Ok cool. So you are ok with us discussing AOC in the AOC thread? Great. 

Btw still waiting on that book title that shows how easy it is for somebody earning 450k a year to pay the same rate as somebody earning 150k a year. That was one of the great takeaways i got from a trump thread. Tax advice tuesdays with commish. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Ok cool. So you are ok with us discussing AOC in the AOC thread? Great. 

Btw still waiting on that book title that shows how easy it is for somebody earning 450k a year to pay the same rate as somebody earning 150k a year. That was one of the great takeaways i got from a trump thread. Tax advice tuesdays with commish. 

 

I don't really know what you're talking about, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say your reading comprehension let you down again.  I'll go back and read though :thumbup: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Commish said:

It's not close.  Sure there's a good effort to keep up, but the quantity of things in sheer volume would lend it to dozens of threads with thousands of pages each if we scrutinized all of Trump's statements/positions/actions to the level that's going on in here....I thought dedicating a tenth was a stretch given the quantity that really should be covered :shrug: 

As it is today we pick and choose the absurdity de jour with Trump and his administration....it was a mere suggestion that this be supplemented by those focused on AOC with this sort of vigor to perhaps shift focus off a freshman congresswoman just cutting her teeth in politics towards those actually driving the bus....even I know that's a big ask.  I mean, clearly we need to focus on AOC's comments around cauliflower in lieu of the comments Devos made around lack of school choice being like that of Nazi Germany or Carson as HUD secretary not knowing what an REO was.  They are just cabinet members in the most dysfunctional cabinet ever.

To be fair, Trump is a "freshman" as well...just cutting his teeth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Says the guy posting here starting before 6am many days and going all day every day.  

So now you’re keeping track of when I post? 

Did you used to be in a band called Animotion? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

To be fair, Trump is a "freshman" as well...just cutting his teeth.

And a President who's doing real damage as we speak and has appointed people to cabinet positions who are doing real damage.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Commish said:

And a President who's doing real damage as we speak and has appointed people to cabinet positions who are doing real damage.  

and people ##### about him on here absolutely non-stop everyday all day what's your point?

When she says something stupid someone is allowed to point and laugh

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

and people ##### about him on here absolutely non-stop everyday all day what's your point?

When she says something stupid someone is allowed to point and laugh

Two fold:

1.  It's funny to see the priorities of some.

2.  There's more work to be done.  

As I've said, I am good with the 'point and laugh'....several have gone well passed that to obsession and I just don't get it especially when those same people remain relatively silent on more pressing problems.  I just don't get it :shrug: Anyway....this is my last post on this for a bit....back to solving the armageddon that is the cauliflower conundrum.  :thumbup: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, The Commish said:

And a President who's doing real damage as we speak and has appointed people to cabinet positions who are doing real damage.  

I agree, and people should wake up and understand why he was elected and is still rabidly supported.  And "racism/sexism" is not the correct answer, no matter how badly liberals want it to be.

AOC is basically a microcosm of the very system that lead to Trump.  If the media keeps parading her out there as the gold standard and we will get another 4 years of this madness.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mario Kart said:

I’m on mobile but we used to be able to check how many times posters posted in a thread. It’d be curious to see the amount of posts / obsession some posters have over AOC. An effective leader, like AOC, receives scorn while an ineffective leader, like Trump, receives praise. Check the post counts. 

You don't need to count posts.  Number of Trump threads (and pages) out number threads about AOC by more than a factor of 10, let alone 1/10th.

Not sure why you would want to pick on a particular poster, but, turn the tables around and every single poster on the left would out number in Trump posts than AOC by more than a factor of 10.  I think Commish had a point to make, but, his horrible math ruined it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.