What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (6 Viewers)

It was created to protect slavery. The fact that the public elects legislators, along with the Bill of Rights, already protects us from mob rule. The EC is superfluous and outdated. 

Sorry but California and New York should decide the Presidency, not Montana. We have more people. If you want to decide it, get more people. 
You get so wrapped up in your race thing sometimes.

It was created specifically to protect the Presidency from direct elections (the whims of the mob). Basically, what you want.  Thankfully, the Constitution is also fairly well protected from the whims of the mob, so it’s not changing anytime soon.

You are correct.  In other words,, it was intended to prevent mob rule.  In modern day that means high population states like California and NY don't  determine the Presidency, thus making the fly over states irrelevant.  Whoever created the EC were geniuses. 
As is evident by the many other countries and US states that have adopted it as a model for their own elections.  Why just look at this illustrious list of countries and US states who have seen the wisdom of our EC model, where various smaller areas of particular territory are granted a certain number of winner-take-all "votes" in a territory-wide election, and upgraded their democratic process accordingly:

As is evident by the many other countries and US states that have adopted it as a model for their own elections.  Why just look at this illustrious list of countries and US states who have seen the wisdom of our EC model, where various smaller areas of particular territory are granted a certain number of winner-take-all "votes" in a territory-wide election, and upgraded their democratic process accordingly:
I ask because I don't know, but are member votes in the E.U. allocated strictly according to population.  My belief that they are, roughly so, but not absolutely so, more or less like our system. Also I believe they have to cast their votes unanimously by country.  More or less our model.  If one is looking for an analogous model would that not be it?

Maybe you or one of our widely read members than I can chime in.  If  not, I will have to use the google machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many red states whose voters espouse the merits of the electoral college, how it protects the smaller rural populations from the whims of the "masses" and ensures that politicians will not ignore rural voters in favor of population centers. Virtually all of them are large geographic areas with one or more relatively dense population centers are larger rural areas that are far less dense.

Not one of them conducts statewide elections based on an electoral college type model. To my knowledge nobody in any of those states has ever even proposed such a thing in our lifetimes.

Why not? Aren't the people of rural Oklahoma entitled to the same protections vis a vis Oklahoma City and Tulsa that the people of Wyoming are entitled to vis a vis New York and California?

I ask because I don't know, but are member votes in the E.U. allocated strictly according to population.  My belief that they are, roughly so, but not absolutely so, more or less like our system. Also I believe they have to cast their votes unanimously by country.  More or less our model.  If one is looking for an analogous model would that not be it?
If I understand you, you're talking about a legislative process, not a broad democratic one. That's similar to the process for our House of Representatives, not the process by which we elect our president.

There are many red states whose voters espouse the merits of the electoral college, how it protects the smaller rural populations from the whims of the "masses" and ensures that politicians will not ignore rural voters in favor of population centers. Virtually all of them are large geographic areas with one or more relatively dense population centers are larger rural areas that are far less dense.

Not one of them conducts statewide elections based on an electoral college type model. To my knowledge nobody in any of those states has ever even proposed such a thing in our lifetimes.

Why not? 
Because it would pretty clearly get struck down as a violation of the U.S. constitution.  See, e.g. Gray v. Sanders. 

Because it would pretty clearly get struck down as a violation of the U.S. constitution.  See, e.g. Gray v. Sanders. 
I'll defer to your expertise of course, but the linked Wikipedia entry suggests the problem in that case was in the execution and not the concept, no?

Aftermath

Georgia had the option of modifying the County Unit System to make it more equal, but instead the state decided to move to using the popular vote in primary elections.

In any event, if replicating the EC on a smaller scale turned out so egregiously bad that the Supreme Court struck it down as a violation of the basic democratic and Constitutional principle of one person, one vote, maybe there's a lesson there.

The greatest Presidential ticket will happen in 2024:

President = Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Vice President = Taylor Swift

Instant respect around our country and the world. Can't wait to vote for this ticket.

Now that Saikat has left AOC after the Pelosi meeting, I think both will fade into irrelevancy.   AOC is now playing with penguins and babbling more than anything.  They needed each other.  

Says the guy posting about Trump at 5AM every day.  That's funny
Yes I am obsessed with Trump. I admit it. He is the President, and affecting my life in profound and bad ways. AOC is a congresswoman and not even in jon’s district. Just a slight bit of difference I think. 

ETA I wake up at 4:30 and I’m out the door by 6:30-7. If I am going to post at all in the morning, 5-6 is the time I most often will. 

Now that Saikat has left AOC after the Pelosi meeting, I think both will fade into irrelevancy.   AOC is now playing with penguins and babbling more than anything.  They needed each other.  
Can you give us some measure of what it means to fade into irrelevancy so we can test whether your prediction comes true?

Also,I'm curious if you have any thoughts on this article:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/area-residents-not-amazon-newcomers-are-fueling-northern-virginia-real-estate-frenzy-agents-say/2019/08/26/a4cbff34-c514-11e9-9986-1fb3e4397be4_story.html

Area residents, not Amazon newcomers, are fueling Northern Virginia real estate frenzy, agents say

By Patricia Sullivan

August 26 at 5:09 PM

The first Amazon employees have barely arrived in Northern Virginia, but the housing market close to the company’s new headquarters in Arlington County is behaving as if all 25,000 workers are moving in next week, real estate agents and analysts say.

The lightning speed of sales, the shortage of homes on the market and the elevated prices for available stock are all being driven by those who already call the Washington region home, real estate agents say. Nearly all of the buyers who are being locked out are current residents as well, they say.

The latest evidence that the impending arrival of Amazon’s second North American headquarters has ignited a real estate frenzy came last week when the real estate brokerage Redfin calculated that the two housing markets bracketing Crystal City, the new home for Amazon’s multiple ­offices, are the most competitive housing markets in the nation.

“Most competitive” in this context means that nearly half the homes in the 22202 Zip code sold faster than both the Washington metro region or the national rate. “Over half of all homes for sale (57%) in both Arlington and Alexandria went off the market in two weeks or less,” according to the Redfin study of July data, numbers with which non-Redfin real estate agents agreed.

The homes also sold for more than their listing price, with multiple buyers who routinely waive the contingency clauses that protect them from unseen structural defects. All this in a market where fewer than half the number of homes are for sale now than a year ago.

“I had a condo listing right across from ‘ground zero’ of HQ2 last fall and it had been on the market for 90 days with no interest at all. [The owner] was about to take the listing off the market,” said Mara Gemond, a Redfin agent with 15 years of experience in Northern Virginia. After the news leaked on Nov. 11 that Amazon chose the area, “all of a sudden, it sold for $70,000 more than we asked — and in one day.”

The buyer, like many who have popped up since then, was an investor who plans to rent the property. Other buyers, many of whom are local residents who have been renting and planning to buy soon, are also rushing to purchase before the Amazon employees, who will have average salaries of $150,000, arrive in force over the next few years. (Amazon said it plans to hire 400 this year and 1,000 to 1,500 in subsequent years. Amazon chief executive Jeff Bezos owns The Washington Post.)

“I don’t have anybody who is a client working for Amazon or anybody relocating to work for Amazon,” Gemond said. “All of them are locals, often first-time home buyers . . . who are accelerating their plans to buy.”

Shortly after Amazon announced its move to Virginia, the area saw its monthly supply of homes on the market — the time it would take for existing inventory to sell at the current pace — approach its lowest levels since at least 2006. Alexandria and Arlington have had fewer than a month’s worth of homes on the market this year, according to data from the two jurisdictions analyzed by The Washington Post.

While the inventory has decreased, the number of homes sold in Arlington and Alexandria has remained relatively stable, according to The Post’s analysis. The number of days homes are staying on the market also has declined. In July, the median time a home in Alexandria and Arlington sold after being listed was nine and 12 days, respectively, which is about 30 days faster than the same period a year ago.

New home buyers, armed with a 3.5 percent Federal Housing Authority loan and seeking help from the seller with their closing costs, simply cannot compete, especially when investors are making all-cash offers, with no contingencies and a willingness to close the sale within the week, said Christine Richardson, a real estate agent and president of the Northern Virginia Association of Realtors.

“These [buyers] are speculators or folks who just want to live in Arlington and Alexandria,” she said, negating the notion that they are early tech workers. “The Amazon announcement put them in a tailspin. They are probably renting and intended to buy in 2021 or so, but they said, ‘I’ve got to accelerate this.’ Then you have the opposite [instinct] with the sellers.”

Homeowners ready to downsize or move out of the area are putting their plans on hold for a couple years, when they hope even stronger demand will fetch them higher prices, Richardson said.

“We have Zip codes in Northern Virginia with zero houses on the market. Zero,” Richardson said. “That’s something we never see.”

The market could “stand for a little modulation,” Arlington County Board Chair Christian Dorsey said Monday at the Northern Virginia Elected Leaders Summit at George Mason University.

“I don’t want anybody to misunderstand me, but we could use a little bit of cold water,” he said, referring to the housing market. “I don’t want pain to come, but neither do I want to be fueled by irrational exuberance.”

What’s happening here is a result of the housing affordability and availability crisis, said Terry Clower, director of George Mason’s Center for Regional Analysis.

“We just haven’t been building enough units,” Clower said. The oft-observed maxim that new construction in the Washington metro area is luxury rentals or high-end homes is true, he said. “It simply doesn’t pencil out for builders to construct a 1,400-square-foot house for $300,000.”

So buyers downsize, go farther from the job centers inside the Beltway and make compromises.

“The problem with rising housing prices is if you’re staying in the area, any gain you experience with selling will be plowed right back into your new home. A generation ago, it would be unthinkable to build multifamily housing in Loudoun County,” Clower said.

Richardson recently had a client who bought an old house on a cul-de-sac in North Arlington sight unseen, spending $900,000 to tear it down, betting that the market will keep the land value high.

“Sometimes that initial exuberance the market feels doesn’t play out to reality,” Richardson acknowledged. “That could happen here.”

But it has not, yet.

Gemond said she posted an online “coming soon” notice for a condo in Rosslyn, four Metro stops from Crystal City, and “within five minutes, someone called and begged me to let them see it immediately.”

Yes I am obsessed with Trump. I admit it. He is the President, and affecting my life in profound and bad ways. AOC is a congresswoman and not even in jon’s district. Just a slight bit of difference I think. 

ETA I wake up at 4:30 and I’m out the door by 6:30-7. If I am going to post at all in the morning, 5-6 is the time I most often will. 
Just curious as to how Trump has impacted your personal life in profound and bad ways?  I don`t like him either but I never really think about any POTUS on a daily basis like goes on here.

So why are you obsessed with what Jon posts about?  Or care if he's obsessed with a politician?

Just curious as to how Trump has impacted your personal life in profound and bad ways?  I don`t like him either but I never really think about any POTUS on a daily basis like goes on here.
Sure. 

Well to start with, I think his inaction on climate change is going to wreck my way of life, perhaps before I’m dead, certainly for my children. His trade policies are already having a negative impact on my business, preventing a retail expansion of a pacific rim company I was working with. 

Thats for starters. It’s not really a good topic for this thread. 

I've seen several pundits, tweets and now posters suggesting that AOC has been "silent" since her former COS left and that this somehow confirms that she was just a mouthpiece for the Justice Democrats and is lost without him or something.

Congress is in recess, its longest one of the year. The Hill is a ghost town from early/mid-August until Labor Day. Literally every person who has even a modicum of experience in Washington politics is aware of this annual occurrence. Anyone who has ascribed any significance to her relative silence during this period either is doing so in bad faith or has absolutely no idea what they're talking about. It's like suggesting that something is off with Aaron Rodgers because he didn't throw any TD passes in March.

Check back in early October- if she's still keeping quiet at that point than maybe they have a point.

I've seen several pundits, tweets and now posters suggesting that AOC has been "silent" since her former COS left and that this somehow confirms that she was just a mouthpiece for the Justice Democrats and is lost without him or something.

Congress is in recess, its longest one of the year. The Hill is a ghost town from early/mid-August until Labor Day. Literally every person who has even a modicum of experience in Washington politics is aware of this annual occurrence. Anyone who has ascribed any significance to her relative silence during this period either is doing so in bad faith or has absolutely no idea what they're talking about. It's like suggesting that something is off with Aaron Rodgers because he didn't throw any TD passes in March.

Check back in early October- if she's still keeping quiet at that point than maybe they have a point.
Well couldn't she make an effort to be spotted on a banana boat in the Bahamas with Lebron James and OBJ?  Maybe she could have been at the MTV awards or hanging around an NFL training camp.

I actually figured she was still likely tweeting with the same regularity, but I just wasn't seeing it as often since Omar and Tlaib were getting the press in recent days. So after reading your post I went to her twitter page and it does look like she is simply not tweeting as often, which your reasoning makes sense. Also looks like she was on vacation out west. 

At least now I understand why Jon brought up penguins. I thought it was some global warming reference. 

If she fades into irrelevancy, who will you obsess about? 
:lmao: ....that is my third AOC post in the last two weeks.  That is obsession?  How many Trump posts have you, @Sheriff Bart, and @the moops made in the last two weeks?  Over a hundred easy, and Tim's been on vacation in Italy most of that time.  So many one-sided extreme hypocrites in this forum.  Tim has 6 Trump posts in the last half day alone.  A few posts about a progressive and this forum has a hissy fit.   

Being on recess has not stop her from Tweeting, ever.  Her post rarely are about upcoming legislation.  They were mostly about advancing Saikat's progressive worldview.       

Being on recess has not stop her from Tweeting, ever.  Her post rarely are about upcoming legislation.  They were mostly about advancing Saikat's progressive worldview.       
Serious question -- who cares?  Why does it matter if some freshman MOC produces her own material or relies heavily on her staff for messaging?

Serious question -- who cares?  Why does it matter if some freshman MOC produces her own material or relies heavily on her staff for messaging?
Because if she relies heavily on her staff then it proves that she represents the precise beliefs of the majority of the Democrat party. Or something.

If I've learned anything after reading this page, it's that it's because of obsession.  From my notes:

Jon is obsessed with AOC.

Tim is obsessed with Jon.

Tim is also obsessed with Trump.

Rambling Wreck is obsessed with TIm.

We have every Democrat presidential candidate pimping some varient of Saikat's Green New Deal, which he admits was all about changing entire structure of our economy from a market-based capitalist economy to a socialistic state and just pinned the Green lable on it as an afterthought.  It is important to understand the true nature of the programs that are being pushed and know that the spin they are saying about being fundamental in solving global warming is pure BS.     

If I've learned anything after reading this page, it's that it's because of obsession.  From my notes:

Jon is obsessed with AOC.

Tim is obsessed with Jon.

Tim is also obsessed with Trump.

Rambling Wreck is obsessed with TIm.
1. Correct. 

2. Incorrect. I like jon, but I find some of his statements silly. I don’t follow him around though. 

3. Correct. But again, why shouldn’t I be? Trump isn’t some congresswoman not from my district; he’s the President. 

4. Nah. 

1. Correct. 

2. Incorrect. I like jon, but I find some of his statements silly. I don’t follow him around though. 

3. Correct. But again, why shouldn’t I be? Trump isn’t some congresswoman not from my district; he’s the President. 

4. Nah. 
My post was supposed to be funny.   :kicksrock:

The interesting thing about AOC is not the individual candidate, it is about the organized effort behind her and what they are trying to accomplish.  It is about a national effort to target districts and take them over and trying to create this army of AOC's who do not neccessary represent their district, but this larger progressive movement as a whole.  Is this a good thing?  Depends on your perspective I suppose, but this whole idea of a candidate in a box movement which Saikat is trying to create is worthy of discussion.  

The interesting thing about AOC is not the individual candidate, it is about the organized effort behind her and what they are trying to accomplish.  It is about a national effort to target districts and take them over and trying to create this army of AOC's who do not neccessary represent their district, but this larger progressive movement as a whole.  Is this a good thing?  Depends on your perspective I suppose, but this whole idea of a candidate in a box movement which Saikat is trying to create is worthy of discussion.  
If the interesting thing isn't about AOC, why did you spend pages and pages criticizing her for opposing the Amazon deal?

If the interesting thing isn't about AOC, why did you spend pages and pages criticizing her for opposing the Amazon deal?
Because that was a hot topic at one time.  Why is this forum so critical of discussions concerning progressive candidates.  Are progressives some protected class of people here?  Is this a progressive safe-zone of sorts.  What is it.  I bring up a legitimate point and all I get are people questioning my motives or mental stability.  WTF is wrong with this place?

Because that was a hot topic at one time.  Why is this forum so critical of discussions concerning progressive candidates.  Are progressives some protected class of people here?  Is this a progressive safe-zone of sorts.  What is it.  I bring up a legitimate point and all I get are people questioning my motives or mental stability.  WTF is wrong with this place?
I wasn't being critical there I was just asking a question.  I didn't question your mental stability.  I guess I sorta questioned your motives, but only because your posting history in this thread is entirely inconsistent with someone that believes that "The interesting thing about AOC is not the individual candidate, it is about the organized effort behind her and what they are trying to accomplish."  

In any case, nobody wants this to be a safe zone, but we also don't have to agree with your positions.  I'm not being critical of having discussions, I'm actually trying to have a discussion.  Part of having a discussion often involves pushing back on the assumptions made by the other person.  I happen to disagree with your general premise that Saikat Chakrabarti is a puppet master attempting to do some incredibly unprecedented thing and AOC is just a puppet with no ideas of her own.  But whenever I point out things that contradict your preconceived ideas you don't really seem to engage.  

In any case, nobody wants this to be a safe zone, but we also don't have to agree with your positions.  I'm not being critical of having discussions, I'm actually trying to have a discussion.  Part of having a discussion often involves pushing back on the assumptions made by the other person.  I happen to disagree with your general premise that Saikat Chakrabarti is a puppet master attempting to do some incredibly unprecedented thing and AOC is just a puppet with no ideas of her own.  But whenever I point out things that contradict your preconceived ideas you don't really seem to engage.  
My response was in general and not entirely directed at you.  But 90 percent of the responses are directed at me instead of engaging in discussions.  None of my ideas were preconceived.  Everyone of them is based on facts as reported by legitimate news sources.  AOC may very well have her own ideas, but Saikat set the agenda.  He was 100 percent behind all the ideas in the Green New Deal, which AOC had zero input in.  To me that is being a puppet even if she ultimately agrees with most of it.  

These two statements are almost a perfect example of the issue I see you run into time and time again.  One is a cogent well thought out post about a topic that would be a really good thread if it stayed on topic.  The other is :hophead:  garbage generalizing SOME of the pushback you get from a few posters as if the entire board is that way towards you.  One of two things happens every single time.  You either categorize the person pushing back as "lefist" or "the other side" or you go with the "what I was saying was....." then say something completely different (which often times is a pretty good point) and most often times never something any of us would have picked up without clarification.

The Commish said:
These two statements are almost a perfect example of the issue I see you run into time and time again.  One is a cogent well thought out post about a topic that would be a really good thread if it stayed on topic.  The other is :hophead:  garbage generalizing SOME of the pushback you get from a few posters as if the entire board is that way towards you.  One of two things happens every single time.  You either categorize the person pushing back as "lefist" or "the other side" or you go with the "what I was saying was....." then say something completely different (which often times is a pretty good point) and most often times never something any of us would have picked up without clarification.
Some?  🤣

If I got 2 decent engaged responses for every 8 snarky responses or personalizations it would be a good day in this forum.  And yeah, I am the problem for pointing out all the crap.  

Yes, and 'some' American adults are overweight or obese,  but that is still a large majority.
That's the majority, not some...most is also acceptable.  There's no question you have a group on your hook.  You know that.  I know that.  We both also know it's not the majority like you want it to be.  If you want to travel into majority territory, the majority pushback in legit, cogent ways and I would also say I have empathy on the volume you face, but lack the sympathy on that front given you bring it on yourself by your gross generalizations and intentional twisting of their words to fit those gross generalizations.  A perfect example of what I am talking about exists on this page and a couple pages prior where FG is attempting to engage you in a legitimate way.

the majority pushback in legit, cogent ways and I would also say I have empathy on the volume you face, but lack the sympathy on that front given you bring it on yourself by your gross generalizations and intentional twisting of their words to fit those gross generalizations.  A perfect example of what I am talking about exists on this page and a couple pages prior where FG is attempting to engage you in a legitimate way.
I am done responding to all this bs.  Either talk about the topic or don't.  It is that simple.   

I am done responding to all this bs.  Either talk about the topic or don't.  It is that simple.   
OK, I'm assuming this counts as "on topic" because you spent a lot of time discussing it earlier in the thread.  You were extremely critical of AOC's opposition to having Amazon HQ moved near her district.  Some of us noted that the Amazon jobs associated with the headquarters would predominately go to people that are not currently living in AOC's district and so her constituents might not benefit all that much, but that housing prices in the areas would skyrocket, which would be a real detriment to her constituents if they are renters.  I don't know the exact numbers in AOC's district but I think renters outnumber homeowners by a fairly substantial margin in most places in New York City.  From what I recall you were fairly dismissive of that concern.

Yesterday I posted a link to an article in the Washington Post discussing what's going in Virginia where Amazon is putting in another headquarters.  Apparently housing prices are going way up in that area even though Amazon hasn't even started operating there yet.  There is insufficient housing stock and few places to build more.  The story isn't over yet but it seems likely that many renters will be forced to move because they can't afford to live there anymore.  

You didn't comment at all on my article.  I'm wondering if you think it changes anything for you.  

No you aren't.  Just like you're never leaving this place despite all your :hophead:  around doing so.  You'd rather talk about this and avoid the topics....which is the ultimate irony.  That's why you always respond to these sorts of posts instead of posts like the ones FG has been posing to you that you simply won't answer in any meaningful way.

Email from Trump campaign sent out last night in regards to AOC’s comments about the electoral college and the rest of the “Squad”: 

“this is our country, not theirs!” 

More barely hidden racism? 

No you aren't.  Just like you're never leaving this place despite all your :hophead:  around doing so.  You'd rather talk about this and avoid the topics....which is the ultimate irony.  That's why you always respond to these sorts of posts instead of posts like the ones FG has been posing to you that you simply won't answer in any meaningful way.
Would you stop already.  Is getting personal so engrained in your DNA that you can not resist?

Users who are viewing this thread