What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (2 Viewers)

I believe private prisons do a fair amount of lobbying and make substantial campaign contributions.  
And how does that keep people in prison longer.  Are you saying private prisons have an affect on sentencing? Parole?  

With as many incarcerated prisons we have now, and the overcrowding that you hear about everyday, what is the incentive actually to keep people longer?   Rather than just flippign them for new ones?

And how does that keep people in prison longer.  Are you saying private prisons have an affect on sentencing? Parole?  

With as many incarcerated prisons we have now, and the overcrowding that you hear about everyday, what is the incentive actually to keep people longer?   Rather than just flippign them for new ones?
In state systems with elected judges, yes I think private prisons create an incentive for longer sentences.

In the federal system I don’t think private prisons influence judges but they do influence legislators.  Mandatory minimum laws, for example, are the type of issue that private prisons are likely to support with campaign contributions.

In state systems with elected judges, yes I think private prisons create an incentive for longer sentences.

In the federal system I don’t think private prisons influence judges but they do influence legislators.  Mandatory minimum laws, for example, are the type of issue that private prisons are likely to support with campaign contributions.
Nope..Unless this can be backed up.  I'm gonna say I don't believe this.   Not saying it isn't true, but I need some kind of evidence to back that claim up.

I believe private prisons do a fair amount of lobbying and make substantial campaign contributions.  
I believe this is correct, but I believe that public prison guard unions do even more lobbying (for the same types of policies), so this is a problem with the prison-industrial complex in general, not private prisons specifically.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may notice that most of these people have something in common

For-profit Prisons: Top Recipients | OpenSecrets

Top 20 Recipients

RankCandidateOfficeAmount

1Scott, Rick (R-FL)$75,850

2Blackburn, Marsha (R-TN)House$61,450

3Culberson, John (R-TX)House$47,400

4Cuellar, Henry (D-TX)House$40,900

5Carter, John (R-TX)House$38,100

6Lee, Mike (R-UT)Senate$25,000

7Cruz, Ted (R-TX)Senate$17,450

8McSally, Martha (R-AZ)House$17,250

9Yoder, Kevin (R-KS)House$15,000

9Graves, Tom (R-GA)House$15,000

11Taylor, Scott (R-VA)House$13,000

12Bishop, Sanford (D-GA)House$12,000

13Rose, John (R-TN)$11,900

14Heller, Dean (R-NV)Senate$11,100

15Hawley, Josh (R-MO)$11,000

16Curbelo, Carlos (R-FL)House$10,200

17Coffman, Mike (R-CO)House$10,000

17Cornyn, John (R-TX)Senate$10,000

17Cole, Tom (R-OK)House$10,000

20McCaul, Michael (R-TX)House$8,500

20Hatch, Orrin G (R-UT)Senate$8,500

20Graham, Lindsey (R-SC)Senate$8,500

20Pence, Greg (R-IN)$8,500

Quint said:
Part of “prison reduction” will have to include elimination of jobs for correctional officers. Did AOC mention a plan for how to make sure these people find their way to new employment opportunities? 
She supports the Green New Deal which created a lot of discussion points a year or so ago about the sections that covers displaced workers with health care, minimum incomes, and guaranteed jobs.

Quint said:
Part of “prison reduction” will have to include elimination of jobs for correctional officers. Did AOC mention a plan for how to make sure these people find their way to new employment opportunities? 
She supports the Green New Deal which created a lot of discussion points a year or so ago about the sections that covers displaced workers with health care, minimum incomes, and guaranteed jobs.
And it has been mentioned upthread, but keeping correctional officers employed is a really terrible reason for incarceration. Perhaps we should not seek cures for cancer because we need to keep oncologists employed

She is nearly irrelevant without her puppet master feeding her material and promoting her.  She still has name recognition.

Hard hitting journalism from the NY Post:

AOC’s $250 hair salon trip stirs controversy
I kind of liked her comeback on twitter:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez @AOC

Won’t you look at that: Mike Pence used *taxpayer funds* - not personal ones - to spend several thousand haircuts’ worth of public money on a visit to Trump golf courses.

I wonder if Republicans care about corruption as much as they care about a woman’s cut & color.

Citizens for Ethics @CREWcrew  · Oct 7

$600,000.

That's how much Mike Pence billed taxpayers for his detour to a Trump golf course.

And that's just for the limos.

https://citizensforethics.org/mike-pence-doonbeg-cost-nearly-600k/

She is nearly irrelevant without her puppet master feeding her material and promoting her.  She still has name recognition.
She is just as relevant now as she was before.
She was the voice of the progressive movement.  
I don't get it. Are you saying she's irrelevant because she's no longer the voice of the progressive movement, or maybe that the progressive movement itself is no longer relevant?

Both? Neither?

I ask because the idea that she's no longer relevant for whatever reason doesn't jive with my experience at all. I don't have the slightest bit of interest in the constant twitter spats, but it's impossible to follow politics and not be constantly inundated with the latest "news" about her, especially if you follow conservative sources or the President himself.

Luckily, I seem to have missed whatever "without her puppet master feeding her material and promoting her" is referring to. Did she piss off George Soros or something?

Stuart_Little said:
Luckily, I seem to have missed whatever "without her puppet master feeding her material and promoting her" is referring to. Did she piss off George Soros or something?
No, I meant her literal puppet master Saikat Chakrabarti.  He auditioned AOC to run.  He raised all her money.  He told her what to say and what issues to promote.  He authored the New Green Deal.  He promoted her and got her access to all the progressive media.  But then he pissed off Pelosi and Pelosi had a Pow Wow with AOC which lead to Saikat leaving her campaign a while back.  Now AOC lacks much direction and has a lot less bite.  She is more delegated to just saying dumb stuff which is irrelevant.  Sure Fox still makes fun of her and she is still famous, but she will not be driving the progressive agenda like Saikat was using her for.

No, I meant her literal puppet master Saikat Chakrabarti.  He auditioned AOC to run.  He raised all her money.  He told her what to say and what issues to promote.  He authored the New Green Deal.  He promoted her and got her access to all the progressive media.  But then he pissed off Pelosi and Pelosi had a Pow Wow with AOC which lead to Saikat leaving her campaign a while back.  Now AOC lacks much direction and has a lot less bite.  She is more delegated to just saying dumb stuff which is irrelevant.  Sure Fox still makes fun of her and she is still famous, but she will not be driving the progressive agenda like Saikat was using her for.
Literal puppet master?

Damn, they are good at hiding the strings

I hope you have that paragraph typed up somewhere. Could have saved yourself a lot of keystrokes considering you have typed the same damn thing a few dozen times in this very thread

I hope you have that paragraph typed up somewhere. Could have saved yourself a lot of keystrokes considering you have typed the same damn thing a few dozen times in this very thread
It’s pathetic considering everything else going on right now.  

It’s pathetic considering everything else going on right now.  
Of course, call it pathetic, that is how the cesspool responds.  But every word is true.  There has never been more of a puppet master in history of American politics than Saikat.  His whole plan which he was quite open about, was to create as many of these progressive clone candidates as possible to run in every district to enact his progressive agenda using his cookie cutter system.  That is not a crazy theory, that is his stated plan.  He would recruit them, give them a all the issues to run on, and obtain all the necessary finances for them, put together their oganization and get them on the ballot.  There might have been bits and pieces of this done before, but never anywhere even remotely to this extent.   If this isn't a puppet, then nothing is.  

Ironically, that is Saikat's plan, to cut and paste his clone puppet candidates using his system in every district possible.  

Of course, call it pathetic, that is how the cesspool responds.  But every word is true.  There has never been more of a puppet master in history of American politics than Saikat.  His whole plan which he was quite open about, was to create as many of these progressive clone candidates as possible to run in every district to enact his progressive agenda using his cookie cutter system.  That is not a crazy theory, that is his stated plan.  He would recruit them, give them a all the issues to run on, and obtain all the necessary finances for them, put together their oganization and get them on the ballot.  There might have been bits and pieces of this done before, but never anywhere even remotely to this extent.   If this isn't a puppet, then nothing is.  
This is all made up.  It’s not worth engaging you on this because when I’ve tried in the past you don’t seem to do so in good faith, so carry on with your nonsense.  I just wanted to make sure any impressionable youngsters reading this thread aren’t taken in by your narrative.

This is all made up.  It’s not worth engaging you on this because when I’ve tried in the past you don’t seem to do so in good faith, so carry on with your nonsense.  I just wanted to make sure any impressionable youngsters reading this thread aren’t taken in by your narrative.

BNC is a post-partisan federal political action committee supporting Democrats, Republicans and Independents who push for progressive legislation such as Medicare for All, $15 minimum wage, clean energy initiatives, tuition-free education,  abolition of ICE and others. All BNC candidates have taken a pledge to refuse corporate PAC dollars.

Lol @ jon made it up.

Brand New Congress recruited Rep. Ocasio-Cortez to run for Congress back in 2017. She was one of 32 BNC candidates who ran in the 2018 elections

BNC is a post-partisan federal political action committee supporting Democrats, Republicans and Independents who push for progressive legislation such as Medicare for All, $15 minimum wage, clean energy initiatives, tuition-free education,  abolition of ICE and others. All BNC candidates have taken a pledge to refuse corporate PAC dollars.

Lol @ jon made it up.
OK there actually is a PAC you got me. 

Now provide support for:

"There has never been more of a puppet master in history of American politics than Saikat."

or

"There might have been bits and pieces of this done before, but never anywhere even remotely to this extent." 

OK there actually is a PAC you got me. 

Now provide support for:

"There has never been more of a puppet master in history of American politics than Saikat."

or

"There might have been bits and pieces of this done before, but never anywhere even remotely to this extent." 
Those are characterizations of all the facts I outlined.  Can you name a PAC which did all of the following?

1.  Reviewed 10's of thousands of applicants to find a few select candidates

2.  Picked candidates based on willingness to accept their agenda, charisma, race, and gender

3.  Provided the organization which would raise all their funds

4.  Crafted a massive plan which would restructure our entire economy.

5.  Recruited their staff and became their campaign manager.

6.  Provided them access to major media coverage.

Those are all documented facts, not "That is all made up" as you falsely claimed before degrading me personally.  I have never heard of an organization which did all that for a candidate.  If you have knowledge of such, please provide it without all your FAKE NEWS trumponian rhetoric.

Those are characterizations of all the facts I outlined.  Can you name a PAC which did all of the following?

2.  Picked candidates based on willingness to accept their agenda, charisma, race, and gender

Those are all documented facts, not "That is all made up" as you falsely claimed before degrading me personally.  I have never heard of an organization which did all that for a candidate.  If you have knowledge of such, please provide it without all your FAKE NEWS trumponian rhetoric.
Emerge Colorado, a subsidiary organization of Emerge America.

Sorry, we went through this exercise before it’s not happening again.  It’s just a PAC.

I'm not seeing $250 worth of results.  Still, her money, her style, her choice.  If she's happy with the results and finds worth in it, more power to her. 
Stupid story.  But points out how irrelevant she is becoming.  She used to get attention from all the wild proposals and far-left progressive positions she would tweet.  Lately it has been just personal jibes and now sort of expensive hair styles.  

Emerge Colorado, a subsidiary organization of Emerge America.
Similar concept (also from the progressive left side), but they train candidates to do their own thing.  Saikat's principle is to provide all the infrastructure and do all the background work and have the candidate be the face of his movement.  To my knowledge, this had never been done before.

There is a reason who did what now?
Pelosi instigated Saikat resigning as AOC campaign chair.  

'Do not tweet': Pelosi scolds progressives in closed-door meeting

Saikat Chakrabarti, Ocasio-Cortez’s chief of staff, went after Pelosi in a series of tweets over the weekend, criticizing everything from her comments on the squad to her stance against impeachment. Chakrabarti also tweeted scathing criticism of the Blue Dogs, calling them the "New Southern Democrats."

"They certainly seem hell bent to do black and brown people today what the old Southern Democrats did in the 40s," Chakrabarti wrote on Twitter before deleting the post.
A week later Saikat was off of AOC's staff.  

I can’t believe I’m getting sucked into this again.  Last post.

But if this great Svengali-like character’s entire objective is to elect AOC clones all over the country, why in the world would you expect him to be AOC’s chief of staff forever?  It doesn’t even seem like your fairy tale is consistent.

I can’t believe I’m getting sucked into this again.  Last post.

But if this great Svengali-like character’s entire objective is to elect AOC clones all over the country, why in the world would you expect him to be AOC’s chief of staff forever?  It doesn’t even seem like your fairy tale is consistent.
I did not, but AOC was very effective at getting national attention to his agenda, so the particular timing to the Pelosi meeting was quite notable.  You keep calling these 'fairy tale", but yet i provide reliable sources for each thing I post:.  The only part which is a fantasy is getting an honest discussion here without all the ####### nonsense.

Washington Post:

Brand New Congress LLC, initially called Brand New Campaign LLC, was formed by Chakrabarti to serve as a “campaign in a box, a one-stop vendor for communications, field, online organizing, fundraising and the like,

I know very little about Saikat, but having studied American political history for some time, I very much doubt the validity of this statement. 
Well obviously from all your studies you can point me to a few examples of candidates who had to do nothing except to be the face of someone else's agenda.  Being recruited to run through a massive campaign.  All fundraising done for you.  No creating organizations, having your campaign completely staffed.  Being spoon-feed agendas.    Where did all this happen before?  Granted, pieces of all these have been done, but never the complete package and to this extent.  

It has the potential to be a paradigm shift in how to run political parties and advance agendas.  It is the most top-down approach imaginable, which ironically some are claiming as grass roots.  Saikat will fail because his agenda is too far-fetched to sell to America, but his tactics are interesting.  

Well obviously from all your studies you can point me to a few examples of candidates who had to do nothing except to be the face of someone else's agenda.  Being recruited to run through a massive campaign.  All fundraising done for you.  No creating organizations, having your campaign completely staffed.  Being spoon-feed agendas.    Where did all this happen before?  Granted, pieces of all these have been done, but never the complete package and to this extent.  
Assuming all of your information is correct (and I have no idea, but having listened plenty to AOC I rather doubt it), I’d still have to take issue given that a Congresswoman, or even more than one, is a relatively low position compared to a Senator or President or Governor. 

Assuming all of your information is correct (and I have no idea, but having listened plenty to AOC I rather doubt it), I’d still have to take issue given that a Congresswoman, or even more than one, is a relatively low position compared to a Senator or President or Governor. 
Tim, AOC is a sharp individual and can quickly think on her feet.  But the stuff AOC says in public and tweets is stuff the Saikat has tweeted before or has stated in the progressive media.  AOC played zero role in crafting her Green New Deal.  The ideas she promotes came from Saikat.  She is not a Senator or a President, no doubt.  But she did for many months dominate media coverage and drive national discussions on issues.  That is power.  AOC is an interesting person and how Saikat made her is potentially revolutionary.  

My family is all liberal.  AOC speaks for none of us. 

Users who are viewing this thread