What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (3 Viewers)

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez‏ @Ocasio2018 2h2 hours ago

This blows my mind: House Ethics Rules prevent me from receiving a $100 gift card, or crashing at a place as I wait for rent , but somehow allow members w/ investment portfolios to write laws that will personally enrich them $1000s in their own stocks; potentially millions.

This is the downside of the political stunt of voting against member allowance or pay increases. Politicians can get on a high horse about declining their own pay increase, and then write nefarious loopholes to allow use of leg power to make money in potentially unethical ways.

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1074771911643750400
We need 534 more of her in congress

This blows my mind: House Ethics Rules prevent me from receiving a $100 gift card, or crashing at a place as I wait for rent , but somehow allow members w/ investment portfolios to write laws that will personally enrich them $1000s in their own stocks; potentially millions.

This is the downside of the political stunt of voting against member allowance or pay increases. Politicians can get on a high horse about declining their own pay increase, and then write nefarious loopholes to allow use of leg power to make money in potentially unethical ways.

It's like Giuliani cracking down on low-level crime as a way to stop higher-level crimes and now saying that high level crimes are really not worth ruining peoples' lives over.

Poll: 81% of people support Green New Deal

That is...extremely high. Even conservative Republicans, the most hostile demographic to a Green New Deal, favor the policy 57%-41%. 

Now, the massive caveat here is that 82% of respondents were totally unfamiliar with the policy - as it becomes mainstream and Trump/Fox/etc. begin smearing it, its support will inevitably decline a bit. Not a bad starting point, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope conservatives continue to give the 72 year old white male billionaire president a pass for working 6 hour days while taking 4 day weekends and a three-week Xmas break while chastising the 28 year old Latina bartender/congresswoman-elect for taking a few days off around the holidays after spending the better part of the last year on campaigns and the transition. Definitely a good way to grow the base and plan for the future!

I hope conservatives continue to give the 72 year old white male billionaire president a pass for working 6 hour days while taking 4 day weekends and a three-week Xmas break while chastising the 28 year old Latina bartender/congresswoman-elect for taking a few days off around the holidays after spending the better part of the last year on campaigns and the transition. Definitely a good way to grow the base and plan for the future!
Yeah...I don't get the criticism here.

Are all of the other members of congress working every day?

squistion said:

She's going to get attacked from every angle about every misstep they can find. 

Silly us. Rules and laws are meant to restrict how poor people could benefit from influence. 
She isn’t poor.

If she feels anti-bribery legislation is too harsh for her to live the lifestyle she wants she can always work to change it.

life is hard when you can’t go to yoga class every day.

The thing about running for office is that people have to file financial disclosure forms. http://clerk.house.gov/public_disc/financial-pdfs/2018/10021221.pdf

She has a net worth in the neighborhood of zero and made 26k last year. If you don't like the terminology "poor" feel free to put in whatever word you'd use to describe someone who makes 26k in NYC and is worth nothing. 

Also funny is that Republicans are generally the people who say that 200k is "middle class" in NYC because cost of living so we can't raise taxes on them. 
I would not consider a single person making $26K poor. 

Judging by memes on my Facebook by my MAGA friends, Ocasio-Cortez is greatly feared by the right. They are nearing obsession stage.

She is by no means poor.
???

Last I heard she is down to about $7,000 in liquid assets while also carrying student loan debt.  I mean, it's more money than people who live paycheck to paycheck working retail jobs, but her current income and assets would put her in the lower class.  That will soon change obviously.  

???

Last I heard she is down to about $7,000 in liquid assets while also carrying student loan debt.  I mean, it's more money than people who live paycheck to paycheck working retail jobs, but her current income and assets would put her in the lower class.  That will soon change obviously.  
Over half the country lives paycheck to paycheck.  It’s a real problem.

Most of them aren’t lamenting missing yoga, creative writing time, and how harsh anti-bribery legislation is for those awaiting their six figure salary.

Over half the country lives paycheck to paycheck.  It’s a real problem.

Most of them aren’t lamenting missing yoga, creative writing time, and how harsh anti-bribery legislation is for those awaiting their six figure salary.
It may not be yoga and writing in particular, but yes - they are lamenting missing things that recharge them.  Almost all of them. 

Missing date night or working out or beers with friends or swing dancing night or their kids’ recitals or their rec league baseball team or Sunday family dinners.  The fact that you don’t like her activities has no bearing on whether they’re worthwhile to lament missing. 

Ocasio busts her ### to gain support for a green new deal, showing real leadership and accomplishing things before she even takes office. 

She takes a week off after traveling to a new city, unable to secure a residence, running out of money, and working for free for a couple months. 

Republicans: "She's lazy!"
Well if she really didn't want to be poor she should have just been born rich.  Like, her father couldn't float her a few million to get on her feet?

:mellow:

Ever tried to live on $26k in NYC?
A living wage is considered $25-$26k but that doesn't go far in a major city.

L.A. is cheaper than NYC but the average apartment rent here is $2265 (unless you want to live someplace lower income  like Tujunga with a longer commute) and that doesn't leave much to cover food, utilities, car insurance, etc.

She is taking a little break to get ready for her new job. Is that really so bizarre?
Absolutely.  Imagine a January 1, 2017 vacation for Trump.

Or taking a vacation in December of the next year (2017)

"For Trump, a Glittering Gala Ends a Winter Vacation Rooted in Routine"

December 31, 2017

It was perhaps the fitting culmination of 10 days of vacation firmly rooted in old routines: days at his golf course, nights at Mar-a-Lago, and a smattering of Twitter posts and meetings punctuating the moments in between.

Ocasio busts her ### to gain support for a green new deal, showing real leadership and accomplishing things before she even takes office. 

She takes a week off after traveling to a new city, unable to secure a residence, running out of money, and working for free for a couple months. 

Republicans: "She's lazy!"
Yeah, I’d say of all the possible insults to throw at her, “she’s lazy” is definitely one of the worst.

I'm trying to figure out what hobbies she should be allowed to miss while campaigning and starting a new job.

Knitting? Cooking? Pining for a husband? Sitting quietly with hands folded?

No exercise or writing for you, you liberal feminist elitist!

I'm trying to figure out what hobbies she should be allowed to miss while campaigning and starting a new job.

Knitting? Cooking? Pining for a husband? Sitting quietly with hands folded?

No exercise or writing for you, you liberal feminist elitist!
Poor people are happy they can't afford to do these things!

Frankly, your derision toward yoga and creative writing is pretty gross. 
I have no derision towards either.  I do both as often as I can.  Apparently, she’s just used to doing them a lot more often.

Then what's your problem with her lamenting not being able to do them?
While simultaneously wining about how poor she is because her six figure salary hasn’t come due and anti-bribery laws are preventing her from taking money from people?

We all lament loss and/or get jealous.  I just don’t think she has it nearly as bad as she seems to indicate.

While simultaneously whining about how poor she is because her six figure salary hasn’t come due and anti-bribery laws are preventing her from taking money from people?

We all lament loss and/or get jealous.  I just don’t think she has it nearly as bad as she seems to indicate.
I don't think she was lamenting anti-bribery laws so much as lamenting that Congress has the power to write laws that impact the markets and businesses to a degree where those Representatives can makes thousands to millions off of their legislative powers. 

While simultaneously whining about how poor she is because her six figure salary hasn’t come due and anti-bribery laws are preventing her from taking money from people?

Yes, while whining about being broke after having to leave her job with a gap until her new one.  Which is about to change, but hasn't yet.  And she's not lamenting not being able to take money, she's lamenting not being able to sleep on people's couches or take a gift card.  And she won't get a paycheck for, what, a month yet?

Users who are viewing this thread