What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (2 Viewers)

Tim, AOC is a sharp individual and can quickly think on her feet.  But the stuff AOC says in public and tweets is stuff the Saikat has tweeted before or has stated in the progressive media.  AOC played zero role in crafting her Green New Deal.  The ideas she promotes came from Saikat.  She is not a Senator or a President, no doubt.  But she did for many months dominate media coverage and drive national discussions on issues.  That is power.  AOC is an interesting person and how Saikat made her is potentially revolutionary.  
Ugh, THIS is my last post in this discussion, I swear.

AOC volunteered for Bernie Sanders' presidential campaign before she ever ran for office or had any interaction with Justice Democrats.  Bernie's policy views are virtually identical to those that AOC espouses now.  She wasn't some blank canvas.  She already believed in the same stuff Justice Democrats believe.  That's why she was a good person for them to support.  

AOC volunteered for Bernie Sanders' presidential campaign before she ever ran for office or had any interaction with Justice Democrats.  Bernie's policy views are virtually identical to those that AOC espouses now.  She wasn't some blank canvas.  She already believed in the same stuff Justice Democrats believe.  That's why she was a good person for them to support.  
Being a puppet does not require that you take positions you disagree with.  They simply did not 'support' her.  They made her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, we went through this exercise before it’s not happening again.  It’s just a PAC.
How many PAC's also have an LLC arm that receives "strategic consulting" fees from the campaigns?

I just searched through Comcast, Honeywell, bankers, and a couple others. I just looked at AOC's opponent. I couldnt find any examples of it. Do you know of any? I fully admit that this could be something that is common and I am just looking incorrectly, I dont think so, but dont feel like spending hours. 

FEC

How many PAC's also have an LLC arm that receives "strategic consulting" fees from the campaigns?

I just searched through Comcast, Honeywell, bankers, and a couple others. I just looked at AOC's opponent. I couldnt find any examples of it. Do you know of any? I fully admit that this could be something that is common and I am just looking incorrectly, I dont think so, but dont feel like spending hours. 

FEC
Yes, this is the wrinkle that Chakrabarti apparently came up with.  It's common for political campaigns with similar ideology to use the same vendors for consulting and other services.  As far as I know those vendors had not previously been associated directly with a PAC until these guys came along.  But none of that turns AOC into a puppet or him into some dark mastermind behind the shadows.  It's just a slightly different way to operate.

The whole notion that this is some sinister massive plot is frankly ridiculous.   AOC's entire 2018 campaign (primary and general) spent less than $2 million, almost all of which was raised from individual contributors.  Justice Democrats and Brand New Congress spent about $3 million for all the races in the 2018 cycle combined.  By contrast, the Koch Brothers network spent $400 million during the same period of time.  Sheldon Adelson and his wife gave $113 million.  

If you watch the Netflix documentary "Knock Down the House," (which jon-mx refuses to watch because he thinks it's propaganda), they actually show meetings of these allegedly scary Justice Democrats.  It's like a dozen 20-somethings with laptops.  These are not the people with ridiculously outsized influence on our government.  The whole AOC "puppet" narrative is a fiction dreamed up by a conservative media trying to create a story.

AOC was a young liberal interested in politics.  Justice Democrats were looking for candidates that shared their views to run in various districts around the country and hopefully move Congress to the left.  It was a good match -- Justice Democrats helped her with her campaign, and she proved to be an appealing candidate that won and helped spread their message.  That's the whole story.  Shocking I know.

#1. Non-Puppet Candidate:  "Hey, I have this great idea to restructure the entire economy which can be the basis for fighting global warming.  Let's hash out a plan and strategy to promote it."

#2. Puppet Candidate:  Campaign manager says "Here is the New Green Deal.  Here are the talking points to sell it.  We are putting you on TV to promote it." 

AOC is #2.  

Well obviously from all your studies you can point me to a few examples of candidates who had to do nothing except to be the face of someone else's agenda.  Being recruited to run through a massive campaign.  All fundraising done for you.  No creating organizations, having your campaign completely staffed.  Being spoon-feed agendas.    Where did all this happen before?  Granted, pieces of all these have been done, but never the complete package and to this extent.  
GWB

No strings.  Instead I am pretty sure Cheney had his hand pretty far up in thar.  I know I time or two folks caught his lips moving when GWB was speaking.

GWB

No strings.  Instead I am pretty sure Cheney had his hand pretty far up in thar.  I know I time or two folks caught his lips moving when GWB was speaking.
There is a huge difference between being influenced by someone vs. having all the shots called by someone.  Besides, GWB picked his staff, not the other way around.  It was common for the left to call Reagan or GWB puppets, but neither is remotely close to what went on with AOC.

I just wanted to point out how much the Post sucks. I'm supposed to be outraged about what she spent for a haircut?

I hate the student loan talk. It's why I'm not supporting Bernie. You're preaching to the choir here.
Then why did you post what you did? It is relevant information regarding AOC. 

She literally took out her phone and made a student loan payment during a hearing and made a big deal about it. She also wants to be paid more by taxpayers and has openly said so. 

Somebody that does that opens up their stupid spending habits to criticism. 

Had she not done that, it would be uncalled for.

Molly Prince‏ @mollyfprince 13h13 hours ago

I’ll say it: @AOC's frequent crying only reinforces the stereotype that women are too emotional for politics.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez‏ @AOC 59m59 minutes ago

Trump: sexually assaults women, impulsively allows Kurds to be murdered, boosts videos of shooting journalists

GOP: Aha! Letting your voice shake after seeing 1st-hand human rights violations at the border+ understanding climate stakes makes women “too emotional” for politics

You know, maybe one of the actual problems w/ our politics is that too many politicians don’t feel anything when Americans die bc they can’t afford medicine, or when babies are permanently separated from parents.

GOP only has tears for billionaires & outrage towards “others.”

It is time we trash the idea that empathy = leadership weakness.

When people hurt, we should hurt too. That’s what good leaders do. It adds urgency & humanity to our decision making. Suppressing emotion can lead to aggression, impulsivity, & other erosions of leadership ability.

Both rationality & emotion are inextricable to good leadership, which balances the two.

If a person doesn’t feel urgency in their gut when communities are poisoned or when a young man dies bc he couldn’t afford price-gouged insulin, then they shouldn’t be in politics. At all.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1184122038837022722

Women's haircuts are expensive, folks. And women who appear on television and are photographed constantly pretty much always have professional haircuts that cost many hundreds of dollars.  It's an unavoidable business expense for them, similar to how real estate agents generally can't get away with driving around clients in a rusted out 2005 Honda Civic.

Also, AOC doesn't complain about student loans just for her own sake. She can obviously cover them now if she chooses; she could resign and sign a book deal tomorrow and pay them off many times over. She's doing it on behalf of all the people with lives similar to hers before she became famous, because that's what people who get into government to serve the greater good do.

I don't know if the people saying otherwise genuinely don't understand these two things, or are just pretending not to understand them because it makes it easier for them to hate on a woman Fox News tells them to hate. But either way it's a pretty terrible look. There are a whole lot of people showing their ###es on this one.

I don't know if the people saying otherwise genuinely don't understand these two things, or are just pretending not to understand them because it makes it easier for them to hate on a woman Fox News tells them to hate. But either way it's a pretty terrible look. There are a whole lot of people showing their ###es on this one.
🤣🤣

So let me get this straight.  The two options which exists in the universe are either:

1.  People are too stupid to realize what a brilliant caring person AOC is, or

2.  They are too stupid to think for themselves and are just parroting what FoxNews tells them too.

Yep, only two friggin options.  This place is unreal.  

🤣🤣

So let me get this straight.  The two options which exists in the universe is they are either:

1.  People are too stupid to realize what a brilliant caring person AOC is, or

2.  They are too stupid to think for themselves and are just parroting what FoxNews tells them too.

Yep, only two friggin options.  This place is unreal.  
Yes, that's exactly what I said. A fair and accurate summation of my post from a gentleman and a scholar.  Well done, sir.

Was there a third option I missed?  
There were no "options" at all. There were two statements I strongly believe to be factual based on observation, personal knowledge, and lack of evidence to the contrary.

Here they are again, since apparently you missed them:

1. Women's haircuts are expensive. And women who appear on television and are photographed constantly pretty much always have professional haircuts that cost many hundreds of dollars per visit and/or get cuts constantly. It's basically an unavoidable business expense for them.

2. AOC doesn't complain about student loans entirely or even mostly out of self-interest. Her fame ensures that she'll likely never have to struggle to make ends meet in the long term again, although she may face short-term problems here and there as we all do. The reason she complains about the burden of student loans is because she is advocating for the millions of Americans who still struggle with them, just as she did until 2018. She wants those people's lives to be better.

You are free to disagree with these two statements that I believe are clearly factual if you want, even though I find them so obviously true as to be basically self-evident and am baffled that anyone could possibly disagree except in bad faith. I don't really care. What I do care about is people twisting my words and then whining about the mangled message they've created. Please don't do that again.

There were no "options" at all. There were two statements I strongly believe to be factual based on observation, personal knowledge, and lack of evidence to the contrary.

Here they are again, since apparently you missed them:

1. Women's haircuts are expensive. And women who appear on television and are photographed constantly pretty much always have professional haircuts that cost many hundreds of dollars per visit and/or get cuts constantly. It's basically an unavoidable business expense for them.

2. AOC doesn't complain about student loans entirely or even mostly out of self-interest. Her fame ensures that she'll likely never have to struggle to make ends meet in the long term again, although she may face short-term problems here and there as we all do. The reason she complains about the burden of student loans is because she is advocating for the millions of Americans who still struggle with them, just as she did until 2018. She wants those people's lives to be better.

You are free to disagree with these two statements that I believe are clearly factual if you want, even though I find them so obviously true as to be basically self-evident and am baffled that anyone could possibly disagree except in bad faith. I don't really care. What I do care about is people twisting my words and then whining about the mangled message they've created. Please don't do that again.
I was not talking about those two items, I was talking about the part I quoted.  Your ridiculous characterization how pure and holy her motives be and how ignorant anyone who dares questions her is.  It is really silly how people feel the need to belittle people.  I captured the essence of your crap and stand by my characterization of the nonsense.  

I was not talking about those two items, I was talking about the part I quoted.  Your ridiculous characterization how pure and holy her motives be and how ignorant anyone who dares questions her is.  It is really silly how people feel the need to belittle people.  I captured the essence of your crap and stand by my characterization of the nonsense.  
But if those two items are true (and they obviously are), then questioning her for getting an expensive haircut and/or complaining about student loans is, in fact, ignorant. That's what the word "ignorant" means.  It's defined as "lacking knowledge and awareness." When there are things that are obvious to most informed observers (like the two items) and people say they don't know those obvious things, wouldn't you say they lack knowledge and awareness?

Now, I admit I don't know with 100% certainty the reason for this ignorance,. It seems the two most likely explanations are a genuine lack of awareness of basic, obvious things, and being blinded to those things because right wing media has skewed your perspective. But who knows. Perhaps there are other reasons for it.

Also, the bolded?  :chefs kiss:

:mellow:

Good thing you weren't trying to belittle him. 

Reports are that the "special guest" Bernie mentioned at his upcoming rally will be AOC, who will officially endorse Bernie for President.

squistion said:

Good thing you weren't trying to belittle him. 
I was pointing out actual crap.  To believe that the only possible way anyone could disagree is in bad faith is silly.  I was not projecting evil motives and/or willful ignorance on the entire population who might happen to see the issue differently.  But this forum endorses crappy tactics from the left and will defend them endlessly.  

TobiasFunke said:
But if those two items are true (and they obviously are), then questioning her for getting an expensive haircut and/or complaining about student loans is, in fact, ignorant. That's what the word "ignorant" means.  It's defined as "lacking knowledge and awareness." When there are things that are obvious to most informed observers (like the two items) and people say they don't know those obvious things, wouldn't you say they lack knowledge and awareness?

Now, I admit I don't know with 100% certainty the reason for this ignorance,. It seems the two most likely explanations are a genuine lack of awareness of basic, obvious things, and being blinded to those things because right wing media has skewed your perspective. But who knows. Perhaps there are other reasons for it.

Also, the bolded?  :chefs kiss:
I have not talked about the two items because they are minor tidbits, but there are real reasons AOC could be seen as being hypocritical.  AOC rhetoric is all about shared resources and equality.  She is the probably the closest thing to a communist we have in DC.  While there are millions of women who have dropped $250 on getting their hair done, there are over a hundred million who haven't.  If she really endorsed economic equality, she would choose to live within the means of the masses and not the elite.  So while you are correct in that there in general there is nothing outrageous about a $250 haircut, it can be viewed as counter to her rhetoric.  

TobiasFunke said:
Women's haircuts are expensive, folks. And women who appear on television and are photographed constantly pretty much always have professional haircuts that cost many hundreds of dollars.  It's an unavoidable business expense for them, similar to how real estate agents generally can't get away with driving around clients in a rusted out 2005 Honda Civic.

Also, AOC doesn't complain about student loans just for her own sake. She can obviously cover them now if she chooses; she could resign and sign a book deal tomorrow and pay them off many times over. She's doing it on behalf of all the people with lives similar to hers before she became famous, because that's what people who get into government to serve the greater good do.

Patrick Ewing's comments when the NBA was on strike come to mind.  "We may make a lot of money..but we spend a lot of money too!"

Cortez makes 175K a year plus expense account.  If she wants to spend $500 on a haircut and nails so be it.  That is what  women in that income bracket do and can easily afford.

Patrick Ewing's comments when the NBA was on strike come to mind.  "We may make a lot of money..but we spend a lot of money too!"

Cortez makes 175K a year plus expense account.  If she wants to spend $500 on a haircut and nails so be it.  That is what  women in that income bracket do and can easily afford.
Patrick ewing received a lot of criticism. 

We also wouldnt trust his judgment for spending our tax dollars. 

I was pointing out actual crap.  To believe that the only possible way anyone could disagree is in bad faith is silly.  I was not projecting evil motives and/or willful ignorance on the entire population who might happen to see the issue differently.  But this forum endorses crappy tactics from the left and will defend them endlessly.  

I have not talked about the two items because they are minor tidbits, but there are real reasons AOC could be seen as being hypocritical.  AOC rhetoric is all about shared resources and equality.  She is the probably the closest thing to a communist we have in DC.  While there are millions of women who have dropped $250 on getting their hair done, there are over a hundred million who haven't.  If she really endorsed economic equality, she would choose to live within the means of the masses and not the elite.  So while you are correct in that there in general there is nothing outrageous about a $250 haircut, it can be viewed as counter to her rhetoric.  
Thanks for this. It had been a minute since I've seen one of these in the wild. Always good for a chuckle.

I wrote but then deleted two responses to this because I want to keep my posting privileges so I can talk Nationals for the next week. But it wasn't easy.  This is a real piece of work, GB.

There was an interesting piece back in 2018, after AOC tweeted effusive praise for John McCain.  The instant media superstardom always struck me as a little odd.  The suspicions are not entirely without merit.  

While everyone else was going berserk about a socialist offering high praise for a man who famously bombed the living daylights out of socialist Vietnam, my eye was caught by that middle sentence.

As a lifelong Rhode Islander, I have always had a front-row seat at the political circus known as the Kennedy family. For several terms, one of Teddy’s sons, the ne’er-do-well Patrick, was one of our Congressional representatives.

The Kennedy machine blended backroom compromises, cigars, and premium scotch (a tradition since Grandpa Joe imported it during Prohibition). The family brand is generally seen as progressive – i.e. anti-poverty, pro-choice – but Ted was an avid promoter of neoliberal favorites like deregulating aviation, telecom and trucking.

An internship in Ted’s office was a great career booster in government agencies and/or the Democratic Party. And it would seem from her Tweet about McCain that Ocasio-Cortez was well acquainted with the sausage-making procedurals of Washington lawmaking.

This has all the markers of a Kennedy production.

Ocasio-Cortez worked in Kennedy’s office from early 2008, when she was 19, until his death in the summer of 2009. Prior to that, she was active in the National Hispanic Institute’s Lorenzo de Zalvala Youth Legislative Session.

In the press she’s seen as someone who was radicalized by the Bernie Sanders campaign, but this is the resumé of someone who wanted to run for public office as a teenager. I’d even have to wonder if she joined DSA because she saw a wellspring for free interns and staff for a campaign she has been planning since the Dubya administration.

Certainly the “miracle primary victory” narrative is partly mythological horse ####. AOC had connections within the Democratic Party and would have been able to target a vulnerable but liberal district like Joe Crowley’s. (Yes, no matter what, he’s obviously way worse.) That’s the MO of a Kennedy operation top-to-bottom, I’ve watched them do it forever.

That’s not to say she has been pretending to be a poor bartender this whole time just to co-opt the progressive movement as a trojan horse for the corporate wing of the Dem party.  But it does raise questions about whether she’s more of a political creature than she’s been billed as on the surface.  She has certainly been a disappointment to people that were hoping for an actual leftist.    

I wrote but then deleted two responses to this because I want to keep my posting privileges so I can talk Nationals for the next week. But it wasn't easy.  This is a real piece of work, GB.
And I stand by that post.  You could have simply made your point without some ridiculous gross generalizations about how all people who disagree or ignorant and/or act in bad faith.   Despite your declaration of moral superiority there are reasons to mock AOC's act.  

Users who are viewing this thread