Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyU

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

To be clear I said ‘thought leader’, she’s classic avant-garde. I said she’s not a party leader.

But still a leader, no?  In any event, I believe she has more power than you guys are willing to believe.  All the candidates are seeking her endorsement is another example of what a "non-leader" she is.

Edited by BladeRunner
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

 All the candidates are seeking her endorsement is another example of what a "non-leader" she is.

“Are seeking”?  As in current, present tense?  I don’t think Biden, Bloomberg, Klobuchar or Buttigieg are currently seeking her endorsement.  They wouldn’t get it anyway.  Maybe they would seek it as we approached the general but not now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

“Are seeking”?  As in current, present tense?  I don’t think Biden, Bloomberg, Klobuchar or Buttigieg are currently seeking her endorsement.  They wouldn’t get it anyway.  Maybe they would seek it as we approached the general but not now.

Maybe "were" seeking it is better.  I believe Bernie was pursuing her endorsement and got it, but most of them were looking for it.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Maybe "were" seeking it is better.  I believe Bernie was pursuing her endorsement and got it, but most of them were looking for it.

I had forgotten she endorsed already. I had recalled she was holding out longer than the other squad members.

Anyway, I don’t think you’re correct that the more moderate candidates were seeking her endorsement.  If you read this, I’d be interested in seeing those articles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

“Are seeking”?  As in current, present tense?  I don’t think Biden, Bloomberg, Klobuchar or Buttigieg are currently seeking her endorsement.  They wouldn’t get it anyway.  Maybe they would seek it as we approached the general but not now.

I don't think all of the candidates were seeking it, but all the candidates seeking to capture the more progressive wing of the Democrat party certainly were.  Here is a 2-minure piece aired by CNN describing how several of the top candidates were pursuing what CNN characterized as one of the most coveted endorsements of the year.  

Edited by jon_mx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

I don't think all of the candidates were seeking it, but all the candidates seeking to capture the more progressive wing of the Democrat party certainly were.  Here is a 2-minure piece aired by CNN describing how several of the top candidates were pursuing what CNN characterized as one of the most coveted endorsements of the year.  

Yep, I agree. Thanks for linking the video. Warren and Sanders sought the endorsement even though they tried to downplay it.   More moderate candidates like Biden and Klobuchar wouldn’t because 1) they weren’t getting it anyway and 2) it doesn’t fit with their overall message.  

The point I’m getting at is AOC is an important influencer on the left side of the party but not for most of it. If a candidate other than Warren or Sanders wins the nomination, her main value to the candidate and party is just to get on board and encourage the far left to get out and vote instead of staying home. 

If I were Joe Biden’s campaign manager, I don’t think I’d even want him standing next to AOC at an event.  That clip would be shown over and over on Fox News and other conservative outlets to scare more moderate voters with visions of socialism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Widbil83 said:

AOC in California this weekend talks about America while stumping for Bernie Sanders at rally featuring Cornel West.

"What we're living in right now is not an advanced society."

"It is fascism, what we have, what we're evolving into, as well.”

https://twitter.com/fredtscoop/status/1208958817691721734?s=21

Sigh.  So easy to tell the people you're trying to influence that they're a victim and it's all the fault of those evil bastards fascists over yonder.

I don't think she has any idea how intellectually dishonest she is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sand said:

Sigh.  So easy to tell the people you're trying to influence that they're a victim and it's all the fault of those evil bastards fascists over yonder.

I don't think she has any idea how intellectually dishonest she is.

What about when people actually are victims?  Is it OK to say it then?

  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

What about when people actually are victims?  Is it OK to say it then?

Sure. But you better make sure they're actually victims and not some nebulous group just so you can blame it on imaginary fascists

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

What about when people actually are victims?  Is it OK to say it then?

Victims of what?  Supposedly our fascist government and society?  It seems a ridiculously loose definition much like calling us a communist country.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

I do not recall her looking so well endowed in other photos.

It looks like her cup does runneth over.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

I do not recall her looking so well endowed in other photos.

They had to cut the picture off at the waist because Bernie is packing a huge hog.

  • Like 3
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

They had to cut the picture off at the waist because Bernie is packing a huge hog.

Well, to be fair, so am I. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

I do not recall her looking so well endowed in other photos.

You'd think having huge tracts of land would make you less likely to support wealth taxes on your assets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

I do not recall her looking so well endowed in other photos.

check out the "dancing in college" video. it confirms

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mario Kart said:

The ginger in the red Boston hockey jersey is her boyfriend.     Cortez has some good jiggle going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

The ginger in the red Boston hockey jersey is her boyfriend.     Cortez has some good jiggle going on.

I wonder whether they are planning on bringing any little ginger snaps into this world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, supermike80 said:

Definitely an upbeat vid..and AOC looks sexy then.  Now, not so much

I'm sure she should sexify hey image if she so chose. But that's not really accepted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2019 at 12:39 PM, Sweet J said:

She is quite the boogeyman for you all.  You're welcome. 

Boogeyman?  She put new life into Sanders campaign and is drawing huge crowds.  If Bernies wins the nomination it will be largely because of AOC.  This idea that she is just some meaningless fresman congressperson is ridiculous.  She looks more like the kingmaker for Democrats. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Boogeyman?  She put new life into Sanders campaign and is drawing huge crowds.  If Bernies wins the nomination it will be largely because of AOC.  This idea that she is just some meaningless fresman congressperson is ridiculous.  She looks more like the kingmaker for Democrats. 

Kingmaker?  :jawdrop:

I don't see that at all.  Most Democrats that I know or those I see online don't take her that seriously.

Edited by squistion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jon_mx said:

Boogeyman?  She put new life into Sanders campaign and is drawing huge crowds.  If Bernies wins the nomination it will be largely because of AOC.  This idea that she is just some meaningless fresman congressperson is ridiculous.  She looks more like the kingmaker for Democrats. 

I’m sure the folks at Fox News would love this to be true. I don’t agree. Bernie did just fine last time around. He’s doing just fine now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Sweet J said:

I’m sure the folks at Fox News would love this to be true. I don’t agree. Bernie did just fine last time around. He’s doing just fine now. 

Yeah, but he had a heart attack and was down to fourth in the polls and his campaign was floundering. Now he is creating excitement with large enthusiastic crowds and is running second and seems to have momentum.  It is not all AOC, but she is a big part.  

Edited by jon_mx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

I agree with jon_mx that AOC’s support has been a boost to Bernie.

Agree as well. Not sure why many on the left here need to try and downplay the gravity that AOC possesses. She is likely the most well known freshman congressperson ever. She has been center focus on two of the top stories of the year - her endorsement of Sanders, and her outspoken critique of Amazon HQ. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, the moops said:

Agree as well. Not sure why many on the left here need to try and downplay the gravity that AOC possesses. She is likely the most well known freshman congressperson ever. She has been center focus on two of the top stories of the year - her endorsement of Sanders, and her outspoken critique of Amazon HQ. 

She has more twitter followers than any other member of the house by a large margin. (at least as of feb. when this article was written)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, the moops said:

Agree as well. Not sure why many on the left here need to try and downplay the gravity that AOC possesses. She is likely the most well known freshman congressperson ever. She has been center focus on two of the top stories of the year - her endorsement of Sanders, and her outspoken critique of Amazon HQ. 

Because a lot of democrats don't want to go that far left and/or admit the party is moving that far left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Because a lot of democrats don't want to go that far left and/or admit the party is moving that far left.

I don't think the party is moving all that left, athough I do agree that people are afraid of the optics of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, the moops said:

She is likely the most well known freshman congressperson ever. 

Sonny Bono down?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

Sonny Bono down?

Tragically, yes he is.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, the moops said:

Agree as well. Not sure why many on the left here need to try and downplay the gravity that AOC possesses. She is likely the most well known freshman congressperson ever. She has been center focus on two of the top stories of the year - her endorsement of Sanders, and her outspoken critique of Amazon HQ. 

It's all really confusing.  She's been a constant supporter through it all and she's allegedly a large part of his success, but he's had downturns as well an nary a peep about her being part of the problem.  It's simply inconsistent for some pretty clear reasons it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

“Oh, God. In any other country, Joe Biden and I would not be in the same party, but in America, we are,” Ocasio-Cortez told New York magazine in an interview running in this week’s edition.

“For so long, when I first got in, people were like, ‘Oh, are you going to be basically a tea party of the left?’ And what people don’t realize is that there is a tea party of the left, but it’s on the right edges, the most conservative parts of the Democratic Party,” she said.

Ocasio-Cortez suggested the Congressional Progressive Caucus should be more selective of its members.  Other caucuses require applications, she said, but “they let anybody who the cat dragged in call themselves a progressive. There’s no standard.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made this point yesterday in another thread: AOC, Omar, Tliab and Pressley are to the left what Trump, Pompeo, Mulvaney, and Johnson are to the right. The difference is Democrats don’t let the extremists take charge. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly think AOC would rather see Trump get another term than Biden win next year.  People like her new a villain, someone to demonize, and it's better if that person is in the White House.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, timschochet said:

I made this point yesterday in another thread: AOC, Omar, Tliab and Pressley are to the left what Trump, Pompeo, Mulvaney, and Johnson are to the right. The difference is Democrats don’t let the extremists take charge. 

Not yet.  But if Bernie gets in, they will be empowered.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Not yet.  But if Bernie gets in, they will be empowered.  

Bernie’s not getting in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, timschochet said:

Bernie’s not getting in. 

That was the common belief about Trump, but here we are.  The fact is a very active and passionate minority can take over control of the party regardless of if the party name starts with a D or and R.  Bernie actually has a pretty good shot if he can consolidate the progressive wing behind him and if Pete and Biden split up the more moderate Democrats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

That was the common belief about Trump, but here we are.  The fact is a very active and passionate minority can take over control of the party regardless of if the party name starts with a D or and R.  Bernie actually has a pretty good shot if he can consolidate the progressive wing behind him and if Pete and Biden split up the more moderate Democrats.

If Bernie gets in, and Ihlan Omer becomes Secretary of State or something like that, then I’ll agree with you. But it hasn’t happened yet; it’s NEVER happened on the Democrat side. Right now as we speak Republicans are the only ones who have allowed their crazies to rise to the top of their party. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, timschochet said:

If Bernie gets in, and Ihlan Omer becomes Secretary of State or something like that, then I’ll agree with you. But it hasn’t happened yet; it’s NEVER happened on the Democrat side. Right now as we speak Republicans are the only ones who have allowed their crazies to rise to the top of their party. 

I realized I'm biased here but I think it's silly to call Bernie or AOC "crazy" for wanting a social safety net like they have in most other Western democracies.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.