What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling, KC (1 Viewer)

He's not a drop but he's back to the bench for me. He's matchup dependent I guess. I just can't t ll how to identify that matchup. Rodgers was tunneling in on Adams last night big time. No real way to predict that.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's only a drop in the shallowest of redraft leagues, seems like Seattle was able to control the ball did a good job not to let the Packers receivers behind them.  Rodgers threw for 300/2 under a ton of duress so this game really seems like it might be the anomaly given MVS recent production.

Looks like one of those guys who will blow up when benched, then go quiet when started. MVS is a rookie receiver ... Tre'Quan Smith is doing a similar disappearing act in New Orleans right now. Smith and Valdes-Scantling are talented, but their "boom" games are just going to be unpredictable going forward.

Lots of people expected big numbers last night, including the "experts" such as Eisenberg.  Is he more startable when not playing so much in slot? Maybe.

I have too many guys like him and better.  No reason to take any more chances this close to crunch time.  I'll drop him as soon as I need to.

Looks like one of those guys who will blow up when benched, then go quiet when started. MVS is a rookie receiver ... Tre'Quan Smith is doing a similar disappearing act in New Orleans right now. Smith and Valdes-Scantling are talented, but their "boom" games are just going to be unpredictable going forward.
Yep.  He's a #3  or #4 receiver.  They are going to have off games.  Getting just 3 targets, 2 of which were uncatchable would be a tough go for any receiver.  It happens.

Had to start him in one league due to byes and injuries.  Disappointed, but not shocked.

Why has this guy just disappeared? He really looked like he was on his way to being a solid #3 wr for fantasy teams. Thought Rodgers might look his way tonight but not gonna happen. Getting off the this ride.

Why has this guy just disappeared? He really looked like he was on his way to being a solid #3 wr for fantasy teams. Thought Rodgers might look his way tonight but not gonna happen. Getting off the this ride.
When Jimmy “one thumb” Graham is getting targets before you, you’re in trouble. 

In dynasty, this is why I added E. St. Brown even though I had MVS. He's more polished and runs 4.48 himself.

MVS won’t be relevant unless Cobb comes back and takes over a lot duties again.  

Man this has  been my biggest miss this year off the waiver wire by far. Spent a good chunk of my FAAB as was convinced he was going to take over that #2 role. Dude's gone full milk carton.

I think E St. Brown has moved past MVS. Holding both until end of season and then making a decision but if I had to right now, it would be E. St. Brown. He just seems like a better route runner. I am concerned about his toughness.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/by-the-numbers/2018/12/17/18144618/packers-week-15-snap-counts-eq-moves-ahead-of-mvs-tyler-lancaster-gets-long-look

Rodgers needs tog et his head out of his ###. His no INT streak is over so he can quit playing scared nd start allowing the receivers to make plays.

I think E St. Brown has moved past MVS. Holding both until end of season and then making a decision but if I had to right now, it would be E. St. Brown. He just seems like a better route runner. I am concerned about his toughness.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/by-the-numbers/2018/12/17/18144618/packers-week-15-snap-counts-eq-moves-ahead-of-mvs-tyler-lancaster-gets-long-look

Rodgers needs tog et his head out of his ###. His no INT streak is over so he can quit playing scared nd start allowing the receivers to make plays.
Looking at the snap counts for the last 2 weeks, ESB has gotten more run.  That has also coincided with Cobb's return to the field.  I'd be cautious about putting too much stock in that when projecting anything for 2019.  MVS has played 569 snaps this year, and ESB 319.  MVS could be dinged up, wearing down, behind Cobb on the depth chart in the slot, etc, etc.  

Aaron Rodgers said Marquez Valdes-Scantling "had a fantastic spring."

Rodgers added the sophomore has "really stepped up as a guy who can be an every-down player." After not adding anyone in free agency or the draft, the Packers are relying on their trio of sophomore receivers to step up behind Davante Adams and Geronimo Allison. Valdes-Scantling was the most involved of that group last year, and it looks like he will enter training camp as the favorite for the No. 3 job.

SOURCE: ESPN

Jun 6, 2019, 9:09 AM ET

Can't believe that clown put rookie WRs in the predicament he did last year.

Looking at the snap counts for the last 2 weeks, ESB has gotten more run.  That has also coincided with Cobb's return to the field.  I'd be cautious about putting too much stock in that when projecting anything for 2019.  MVS has played 569 snaps this year, and ESB 319.  MVS could be dinged up, wearing down, behind Cobb on the depth chart in the slot, etc, etc.  
After what Rodgers pulled last year, it's still a guessing game as to who becomes the next WR to put up solid FF numbers.

Can't believe that clown put rookie WRs in the predicament he did last year.

After what Rodgers pulled last year, it's still a guessing game as to who becomes the next WR to put up solid FF numbers.
Esb was horrendous in every game I watched. Valdes has an incredible opportunity with really only Adams as a reliable target.

MMQB's Albert Breer writes Marquez Valdes-Scantling "has quickly picked up [new coach] Matt LaFleur’s system."

Breer adds Valdes-Scantling is "faster than the new staff anticipated he’d be." This report comes on the heels of Aaron Rodgers saying the sophomore receiver "had a fantastic spring." Valdes-Scantling was the most involved of Green Bay's trio of rookie receivers last season, and it sounds like he has done everything he can to stay atop that group this offseason. He will open camp as at worst the No. 3 receiver behind Davante Adams and Geronimo Allison.

SOURCE: MMQB

Jun 10, 2019, 9:25 AM ET

What did Rodgers pull?
I thought he was referring to the article this offseason. About how Rodgers would change plays in games, or tell wrs to run different routes in practice and games. putting them in a position of, do I get yelled at by the coach or ruin my chance of Rodgers ever throwing me the ball? for rookie wrs in a heated competition for playing time, that's terrible. 

I thought he was referring to the article this offseason. About how Rodgers would change plays in games, or tell wrs to run different routes in practice and games. putting them in a position of, do I get yelled at by the coach or ruin my chance of Rodgers ever throwing me the ball? for rookie wrs in a heated competition for playing time, that's terrible. 
Oh yeah I remember that story now. I wonder if those WRs will get over it now that they weren't drafted over and there is a new coach that will presumably let Rodgers run the offense more than McCarthy. 

Correct.

ESPN's Rob Demovsky reports Marquez Valdes-Scantling "probably is the No. 2 receiver" in Green Bay.

According to Demovsky, Valdes-Scantling has worked ahead of Geronimo Allison in two-wide sets. This report comes on the heels of Aaron Rodgers saying the sophomore "had a fantastic spring," and Davante Adams said the new scheme "is really catered for a guy like [Valdes-Scantling]." All of this love should cause his draft cost to rise, but Valdes-Scantling currently looks like an amazing value in the later rounds.

SOURCE: ESPN

Jun 13, 2019, 9:18 AM ET

Marquez Valdes-Scantling created separation on 70.3 percent of his targets last season.

He ranked top three among receivers with at least 50 targets. This would support the narrative that Valdes-Scantling was blackballed by Aaron Rodgers for running routes ex-Packers coach Mike McCarthy called. Valdes-Scantling has repped ahead of Geronimo Allison as Green Bay's clear No. 2 wideout this offseason. He's a strong candidate for a second-year leap.

SOURCE: ProFootballFocus

Jun 20, 2019, 6:26 PM ET

That's interesting because he seemed like he could never get open when watching his games. Maybe it was an assumption because Rodgers would never look his way

That's interesting because he seemed like he could never get open when watching his games. Maybe it was an assumption because Rodgers would never look his way
imo, it was all Rodgers. When MVS ran the correct route, Rodgers started ignoring him. Rodgers wanted him to run the route he told him to in the huddle. it all is perfectly clear when you look at how MVS stats dropped off a cliff and then it came out about Rodgers changing plays and telling the WRs to run a different route. It also makes it clear to me that was going on when Jimmy ran that one route across the middle and Rodgers pump faked it to him until he was covered. He was probably not running what Rodgers wanted and he only threw it when he realized, this guy is wide open. Of course, this is the NFL, if you throw it when you realize he's ide open, its too late.

Aaron Rodgers said Marquez Valdes-Scantling has "really jumped out" since spring.

"Marquez is starting to play with more confidence," Rodgers added. Valdes-Scantling is expected to start outside opposite Davante Adams with Geronimo Allison in the slot, and there could be more targets headed MVS' way now that he doesn't have to worry about Mike McCarthy's play calling. MVS will offer big upside in the mid-to-late rounds as a second-year breakout candidate.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Jul 25, 2019, 2:56 PM ET

"there could be more targets headed MVS' way now that he doesn't have to worry about Mike McCarthy's play calling."

It wasnt McCarthys play calling... it was Rodgers black balling him because he ran the play/route that McCarthy called. The problem was Rodgers trying to run the show and picking his favorites based off who did what he wanted. This is a mess I'm avoiding all together. 

From what beat reporter Ryan Wood of the Green Bay Press Gazette has seen in the early portion of training camp, Marquez Valdes-Scantling is "pretty clearly" ahead of Equanimeous St. Brown for starting reps opposite Davante Adams.

MVS and St. Brown are competing on the perimeter while Geronimo Allison has been operating out of the slot, a spot once occupied by free-agent defector Randall Cobb. Valdes-Scantling finished seventh among rookies with 581 receiving yards in 2018 but also committed four drops. The 2018 fifth-rounder is far from a finished product, but he's at least shown enough to warrant late-round consideration in re-draft leagues.

SOURCE: Ryan Wood on Twitter

Jul 26, 2019, 2:57 PM ET

"there could be more targets headed MVS' way now that he doesn't have to worry about Mike McCarthy's play calling."

It wasnt McCarthys play calling... it was Rodgers black balling him because he ran the play/route that McCarthy called. The problem was Rodgers trying to run the show and picking his favorites based off who did what he wanted. This is a mess I'm avoiding all together. 
Too much upside for me, I'm all in. Rodgers has to play nice for a year so he doesn't look like part of the problem, at least I hope so.

Gotta hope Rodgers wakes up and realizes that his own 'playcalling' sucked as well. Back last year when I reported that Jimmy was running wide open in one game and why wasn't doofus throwing it to him, it all makes sense now. That wasn't the paly Rodgers wanted and he only threw it after he realized Jimmy was so wide open, Then it was too late of course.

If he wakes up MVS can have a really good year as the #2.

That looked pretty good. They actually ran it deep, Aaron actually threw it, and MVS made a nice catch. 

Sign of things to come? 

Apparently he went to the locker room? Missed that myself but that's what MFL says.

Edit: Scratch that, he's back in. Cramps, apparently.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread