What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling, KC (1 Viewer)

He got hurt last year. 

I'm in on all of Lazard, St. Brown, and Tonyan. 

One of them could emerge as the number 2 passing option. 

@Snorkelson, can you fix his name in the title?

Marquez Valdes-Scantling caught 3-of-7 targets for 64 yards in the Packers' Week 2 win over the Lions.

Valdes-Scantling finished second in targets behind Aaron Jones with Davante Adams (hamstring) exiting early. It was an up-and-down game for MVS once again. He nearly had a long touchdown down the sideline but stepped out of pounds and was wrapped up shortly after. Aaron Rodgers can't fully trust MVS, but he's a big play threat. If Adams is unable to suit up for Week 3, MVS would be a WR4/5 option in 12-team leagues. He just always carries zero floor.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
The one ball in the end zone was on Rodgers though...too high and with zip when he was quite open.  But the drops are awful (Sternberger too)
You said this in the game thread and I went back and ran replay. Rodgers threw it with zip for sure but If MVS had just a little body control & HANDS, he could have caught it. Rodgers wants him to succeed, you can see it in their interaction. Sadly, MVS is a poor man’s Mike Wallace. You’re right with Sternberger...slow afoot and has trouble tracking the ball. WTF?! 

You said this in the game thread and I went back and ran replay. Rodgers threw it with zip for sure but If MVS had just a little body control & HANDS, he could have caught it. Rodgers wants him to succeed, you can see it in their interaction. Sadly, MVS is a poor man’s Mike Wallace. You’re right with Sternberger...slow afoot and has trouble tracking the ball. WTF?! 
Yeah...the body control would have been better...but as open as he was, that was not a great pass at all.  Certainly not a glaring drop by MVS on that one.

Yeah...Sternberger won't make it long once Deguara is healthy again.  Had hopes for him coming out of college but can't seem to put anything together.  Was basically given every opportunity during camp and came out behind pretty much everyone on the depth chart.

Is he a hot pick with Lazard likely out this week?

Likely available on many wires.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Lazard likely out or could miss time with core muscle surgery, Adams not 100%, but I am not a huge fan of MVS talent, more like a product of Rodgers at QB but that's me and you can feel different. 

With Lazard likely out or could miss time with core muscle surgery, Adams not 100%, but I am not a huge fan of MVS talent, more like a product of Rodgers at QB but that's me and you can feel different. 
He's probably worth a grab if he's free, especially for those who have Adams as MNF insurance.  Maybe those with Ridley too.

Picked him up and starting with confidence.

That Monday night game could be a shootout and the Falcons pass defense is a tire fire.

Was dropped, but in a claim last night and was lucky to grab him. He's all kinds of gap fills (D. Henry, J. Conner) and injury insurance (T. McLaurin, W. Fuller). 

Already snagged G. Ward as well, but may play MVS instead (or maybe both) since the ATL matchup is beyond delish.

I do wonder if ATL is foregiving to the TE and RB out of the backfield. I've seen this movie before. MVS has a can't miss match up and he ends up 1-8-0. 

This guy is very wack a mole ish but you can't argue with the setup. And frankly, I probably have no choice but to start him. Bonus: Opponent playing Rodgers.

Was dropped, but in a claim last night and was lucky to grab him. He's all kinds of gap fills (D. Henry, J. Conner) and injury insurance (T. McLaurin, W. Fuller). 

Already snagged G. Ward as well, but may play MVS instead (or maybe both) since the ATL matchup is beyond delish.

I do wonder if ATL is foregiving to the TE and RB out of the backfield. I've seen this movie before. MVS has a can't miss match up and he ends up 1-8-0. 

This guy is very wack a mole ish but you can't argue with the setup. And frankly, I probably have no choice but to start him. Bonus: Opponent playing Rodgers.
Yes...that is my worry with MVS...especially considering my opponent lost J. Smith with the Titans/Steelers postponement and picked up Tonyan for GB.

Added last week and started for Adams

Lost by less than 1 pt thanks to his sorry ###. I’ll never roster him again 

So he will Probly blow up this week 🙄

Yes...that is my worry with MVS...especially considering my opponent lost J. Smith with the Titans/Steelers postponement and picked up Tonyan for GB.
Ugh. From Rotoworld's "Starts and Sits." Tonyan a "Start."

ATL horrible pretty much defending anyone catching the ball.

Robert Tonyan vs. Falcons -- Tonyan has played at least 60% of the Packers’ offensive snaps all three weeks and has scored in back-to-back games with 2-25-1 and 5-50-1 lines versus the Lions and Saints. With Allen Lazard (sports hernia surgery) out indefinitely and Davante Adams still not 100%, the Packers may continue to lean on multiple tight ends. Tonyan is a former college wideout and above-average athlete for his position. And the Falcons have surrendered the most touchdowns and second-most fantasy points to tight ends. Jimmy Graham (6-60-2), Dalton Schultz (9-88-1), and Greg Olsen (4-24-1) have all found the end zone against Atlanta. Green Bay’s implied total of 31.75 points is the highest of the week.

I think MVS will be ok. 5-75-1. 

• MVS owners probably want to see a healthy Ridley, Jones and Gage, and then there's Hurst. ATL can put up points in a hurry if all those guys are playing, suggesting Aaron is going to have to throw it to keep up.
  • With Jones in the backfield, ATL can't cheat on their coverage so MVS is not an easy double. 
  • Not sure the Pack can play ball control in this one. ATL run defense might be pretty good, although hard to tell given they have gotten pretty big leads in their games, prompting the opposition to throw. 
  • If Davante plays, everything changes.

Packers Depth Chart: Can Marquez Valdes-Scantling & others step up after Allen Lazard’s injury?

Excerpt:

Can Marquez Valdes-Scantling step up for your fantasy team?

The top waiver wire target with the news of the Allen Lazard injury is Marquez Valdes-Scantling. Owned in only 35% of most fantasy leagues, Valdes-Scantling will see the biggest boost in this offense.

People may forget, but Valdes-Scantling was a highly touted prospect coming out of college, and with an elite RAS score 9.27, it is easy to see why.

Through three weeks, Valdes-Scantling has a league-high 18.4 air yards per target and has received 32.2% of the Packers air yards. He also has eight catches for 165 yards and a touchdown. Rodgers has one of the best deep balls in the game, and Valdes-Scantling is often the recipient of this.

Rodgers has 887 yards and nine touchdowns with zero interceptions in his opening three games. To put that into perspective, he is behind only Patrick Mahomes in QBR (total quarterback rating) and is 10th in our Offensive Value Metric, behind names like Lamar Jackson and Dak Prescott.

With Rodgers having another impressive season, and with the team facing off against one of the worst secondaries in the NFL with the Atlanta Falcons, Marquez Valdes-Scantling is a must-start.

I think MVS will be ok. 5-75-1. 

• MVS owners probably want to see a healthy Ridley, Jones and Gage, and then there's Hurst. ATL can put up points in a hurry if all those guys are playing, suggesting Aaron is going to have to throw it to keep up.
  • With Jones in the backfield, ATL can't cheat on their coverage so MVS is not an easy double. 
  • Not sure the Pack can play ball control in this one. ATL run defense might be pretty good, although hard to tell given they have gotten pretty big leads in their games, prompting the opposition to throw. 
  • If Davante plays, everything changes.
Honestly...if I have to start him...just hoping for at least one big deep ball with a couple of other catches.  6-7 points would be ok (I say that now not knowing what my scores will end up being yet and already down because of course I play the Melvin Gordon owner the week he gets the jets and blows up)

D. Adams tweeting he's out. Oh boy.

Although not sure if this is good or bad for MVS. Could be a A. Jones/TE night.

I'm up by 13, my opponent has Rodgers and I currently have MVS. Scared to death of an MVS goose egg. Tempted to grab Tonyan. Or Burkhead who is out there.

If MVS can't perform here...against the ATL secondary...with D. Adams out...guy is a bum.

Man this is killing me...I currently have him in my lineup and am looking at James White in .5PPR for RB's on my bench with Michel now out. I so want to trust MVS to get a bomb and a few catches but damn...

Tonyan is gonna get plenty of action. This guy will just clear it out for him. MVS will never be a volume guy. His route running and hands are not good enough.

I think the Packers are gonna use MVS creatively tonight. We'll get to a see a new side of him. He's not been asked to do much beyond be the deep gunner who takes the top off the defense, in part because they didn't need him to be but also because he's not their best option underneath. 

Well, guess what? Now he is...

Users who are viewing this thread