What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: Josh Adams RB, PHI (1 Viewer)

Ajayi hurts in practice today, Clement is also injured. Adams took first team reps the other day. The backs available at practice right now are Sproles, Smallwood and Adams. Figured I would start a thread since he had a pretty good debut and college career.

The Twitter machine says Ajayi left with a trainer, but no one seems to have seen a mechanism of injury. 

Still, surprised Adams wasn’t drafted in the first place, and he’s showing very well as the depth chart seas start to part. Probably time to get on board if you’re shuffling the bottom of your roster trying to hit on someone. 

I liked this guy a lot a while ago. was on my top 5 to watch. the problem is he has a good chance at being on the practice squad unless a major injury occurs. 

Then 4th RB spot is between Adams, Pumphrey, Smallwood, and Matt Jones. 

Like him for the future for sure. Hes made a good first impression and could very well be earning a spot. I'm just concerned it's more of a practice squad spot, at least until Sproles gets injured 

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked this guy a lot a while ago. was on my top 5 to watch. the problem is he has a good chance at being on the practice squad unless a major injury occurs. 

Like him for the future for sure. 
Unless they’ve had a change of heart on Smallwood, I think he makes the roster. Pumphrey is practically dead man walking per the beat writers and we already know what Matt Jones is. 

He did well at Notre Dame but probably should have done better considering that he had two top ten picks from this year's draft blocking for him on the offensive line.

Josh Adams is in competition with Pumphrey, Smallwood, and Jones.  I think Jones is a long-shot unless he has a strong showing against the Pats psWk2.  Pumphrey just can't stay on the field.  He was having a nice camp until another injury kept him out of psWk1.  Smallwood did fairly well but did fumble.  His one upside over Adams is his involvement in special teams. Smallwood and Adams seem to be pretty even for the RB4 spot.

Adams could have significantly more value in '19 should the Eagles let Ajayi walk after this year.  Sproles is in his final year so the Eagles could be looking for 2 new RBs.  The only Eagles' RB I feel certain will be back is Clement.  After him, Adams could earn a significant role.

Josh Adams is in competition with Pumphrey, Smallwood, and Jones.  I think Jones is a long-shot unless he has a strong showing against the Pats psWk2.  Pumphrey just can't stay on the field.  He was having a nice camp until another injury kept him out of psWk1.  Smallwood did fairly well but did fumble.  His one upside over Adams is his involvement in special teams. Smallwood and Adams seem to be pretty even for the RB4 spot.

Adams could have significantly more value in '19 should the Eagles let Ajayi walk after this year.  Sproles is in his final year so the Eagles could be looking for 2 new RBs.  The only Eagles' RB I feel certain will be back is Clement.  After him, Adams could earn a significant role.
Ya, it's finally time to draft a RB in the first 3 rounds.  Next year will be perfect.

Started to post this and then lost it all. Adams is often criticized for not doing more behind that stacked OL at Notre Dame, but he did average 6.9 YPC as a senior and 6.7 YPC for his college career. That’s pretty stout over 480 career rushes. 

Pro Football Focus has argued that 3-Cone time can be indicative of NFL-level athleticism, though it obviously translates for some positions more than others. For RBs, I happen to think it’s fairly useful, especially for bigger RBs. Here’s what PFF said:

3-CONE DRILL

The 3-cone drill is the real MVP of the NFL combine. A slow 3-cone is the kiss of death for almost every position besides offensive line in the NFL. Why, you ask? Because the ability to turn and accelerate quickly and efficiently is one of the key tenets of football. It’s a defensive end turning the corner on a tackle, a safety breaking on a corner route, and a running back cutting upfield. Unsurprisingly, Pittsburgh’s Le’Veon Bell ran the 11th-best 3-cone of any running back in the past 10 years, at 6.75 seconds, and he was the only back among the top 30 to weigh over 220 pounds (he was 230). Cornerback Darrelle Revis ran a 6.56 cone at 204 pounds back at his pro day in 2007. If I had to pick one drill to look at, it’s this one.
Josh Adams was injured at the combine and didn’t perform, but he did post a 6.78 3-cone at the Notre Dame Pro Day at 213 lbs. For context, over the past five drafts, only Christian McCaffrey and Bishop Sankey posted faster 3-cone times. McCaffrey also did it at 202 lbs. 

It’s not the end-all-be-all, but it shows some strong change of direction skills for Adams in an NFL-size package. 

As for why he didn’t get drafted ... who knows?  Mayock mentioned him needing surgery on his foot, so maybe medical reasons pushed him off of teams’ boards?  Doesn’t matter much at this point. Judging by quotes from Duce Staley, he’s already in the driver’s seat for the fourth RB spot, and this team believes in competition. If he earns it, he’ll play. 

3 cone is by far my highest priority combine drill, way more than the 40.

Adams is one of my favorite late round stashes.  Drafted him in 3/5 leagues.  The situation looks a bit bleak, especially since I'm also of the mind that Clement is vastly underrated but situations change quickly in this league and if I'm wrong about Clement I have a ready-made fallback.

@Faust posted this article in the training camp thread.  Thought I'd post the Josh Adams comments here.

Roob's 10 observations from Eagles-Steelers preseason game

7. Good night for Josh Adams. The undrafted rookie running back from Notre Dame was 6 for 30 rushing and caught two passes. Showed a nice burst, a good knack for finding the hole and fought through traffic. Wendell Smallwood had some nice runs but also a bad fumble (that the Eagles recovered). Donnel Pumphrey and Matt Jones didn't play, and they need to get healthy to get back in the mix because they lost ground to Adams Thursday night. The battle for that fourth running back spot behind Jay Ajayi, Corey Clement and Darren Sproles might go down to the wire, but safe to say that on a day when Smallwood fumbled and Pumphrey and Jones watched from the sidelines, Adams really helped himself.

Bump for being signed/most likely getting his first action tomorrow.

What are you guys expecting out of him?

Doesn't look like he cuts very well and his college highlights it doesn't seems like he has blazing speed. Going to be caught from behind a lot in the NFL. A good what the heck add if you have room but seems pretty meh

Impressed me during the pre-season and his physical profile is pretty solid. 

Doubt he gets more than 5 carries tomorrow though. 

Doesn't look like he cuts very well and his college highlights it doesn't seems like he has blazing speed. Going to be caught from behind a lot in the NFL. A good what the heck add if you have room but seems pretty meh
As an Irish fan, I love this guy. Surprised he wasnt drafted. I just dont see him as a great pro. He ran behind the best OL in the nation last year. One of the best in years... Rooting for him, but dont think the guy will ever be an asset to the FF community 

What does SP think about Josh Adams? Seems like the guy is getting some burn, Petersen was quoted saying he is something of a new Legarrette Blount. He's averaging like 6 ypc so far and Smallwood/Clement are uninspiring. With Eagles not acquiring RB at the trade deadline, Josh Adams seems pretty interesting.

What does SP think about Josh Adams? Seems like the guy is getting some burn, Petersen was quoted saying he is something of a new Legarrette Blount. He's averaging like 6 ypc so far and Smallwood/Clement are uninspiring. With Eagles not acquiring RB at the trade deadline, Josh Adams seems pretty interesting.
Looked like the best RB on the team in London. I don’t know that any Philly back sees the volume to be an every week play or league winner. I added him in one redraft where I’m practically done and partially trolling leaguemates and still have him rostered in most dynasty leagues where I rostered him early this season. One thing I will say is that it’s not like a lot of other UDFA situations (outside of Philip Lindsay). If he’s the best player Pederson will probably use him. Seems with the bye and with this being the biggest bye week of the season not a lot of redraft teams have room to add him seeing he’s still on the block in the majority of leagues I’m in (could be wrong though, some are high end guys, some are meh).

I dropped Jalen Richard for him, hoping that he'll get some play down the stretch and have upside moving forward if Ajayi moves on. 

My interest in him has piqued in the last two games due to the combunation of his continued effectiveness and the lack of touchea for Clement.  Not sold on him, but definitely pulling for him as an owner of the 21 year old in my dynasty league.  If he keeps it up he could be playable in fantasy at some point this season.  I have Gordon, Mack and White ahead of him for starts, but I’d fire him up at this point in the event of one of them missing a game.

Josh Adams rushed seven times for 47 yards in Week 10 against the Cowboys.

Adams was the Eagles' leading rusher and saw more carries than Wendell Smallwood and Corey Clement. After outplaying Smallwood before the bye, he's cemented his role ahead of Smallwood as the primary early-down back. Adams is worth picking up in leagues where available. He has an attackable matchup against the Saints in Week 11.

Nov 11 - 11:45 PM

I know they like the “roles” and committee but they really should give him more extensive work. Clement has been hot garbage this year. Smallwood can probably serve as the pass catching back and be semi-effective.

The dude runs like Demarco Murray.  He's like a clone.  Everyone just passed him by during the draft process because the Notre Dame O-line was so good, but he can clearly play.  It makes no sense why they trot out Smallwood, a guy who was on the roster bubble in preseason, or Clement who is the definition of a backup RB by now.  Give the man a chance.  

The dude runs like Demarco Murray.  He's like a clone.  Everyone just passed him by during the draft process because the Notre Dame O-line was so good, but he can clearly play.  It makes no sense why they trot out Smallwood, a guy who was on the roster bubble in preseason, or Clement who is the definition of a backup RB by now.  Give the man a chance.  
Your wish is about to be granted 

https://twitter.com/rotoworld_fb/status/1062032787698565120?s=21

Not really... everyone passed on him because he had a rather significant foot issue

I'm glad I snatched this guy up as many others cut. It sure helps when your roster resembles more of a taxi squad than a competitive dynasty team. Allows me to make these moves. I won't be so lucky next year. 

He's definitely a very good RB and one I've had my eye on for quite some time. Glad to be on this train! 

Not really... everyone passed on him because he had a rather significant foot issue

I'm glad I snatched this guy up as many others cut. It sure helps when your roster resembles more of a taxi squad than a competitive dynasty team. Allows me to make these moves. I won't be so lucky next year. 

He's definitely a very good RB and one I've had my eye on for quite some time. Glad to be on this train! 
I was on him early too.  Pretty sure I had him as a top10 RB before the draft, and I don't even remember the foot thing though which isn't a good sign for my memory ha.  Was surprised he went un-drafted.  I think people overstated the ND o-line a bit which was one reason he wasn't seen as a top RB, and then I guess the foot contributed to his slide as well.  Either way I'm glad he's going to get more work and that I have stashed in a few places.  

I was on him early too.  Pretty sure I had him as a top10 RB before the draft, and I don't even remember the foot thing though which isn't a good sign for my memory ha.  Was surprised he went un-drafted.  I think people overstated the ND o-line a bit which was one reason he wasn't seen as a top RB, and then I guess the foot contributed to his slide as well.  Either way I'm glad he's going to get more work and that I have stashed in a few places.  
I recall us having some conversations about him way long ago. 

I was quite surprised he went undrafted too. He was one of my favorite undrafted rookie RBs (him and Lindsay). I recall him sliding because 1- the ND OL was so good, 2- his foot, 3- he started the year off so great but then his production slid for whatever reason, and 4- he wasn't today's prototypical NFL RB for size

Obviously those negatives were dead wrong as he is looking awesome. I agree completely with your comparison to Murray... his style is very much like him. I hope his fantasy upside is too :popcorn:  

Not sure if it was today or yesterday but Pederson said Adams is in line for more carries from here out. Don’t know why that wasn’t already apparent before yesterday that that needs to happen.

Stashed in a few before the bye week. Honestly expected Clement to runaway with things but more impressed with Adams now two games running. He could prove a valuable starter if they give him 65%+ of the work in an offense that shouldn’t struggle to move the ball most weeks. 

He was an obvious add for me a few weeks ago since I already had Clement and Smallwood. All I ask is that one becomes the obvious front runner. :D

He was an obvious add for me a few weeks ago since I already had Clement and Smallwood. All I ask is that one becomes the obvious front runner. :D

Stashed in a few before the bye week. Honestly expected Clement to runaway with things but more impressed with Adams now two games running. He could prove a valuable starter if they give him 65%+ of the work in an offense that shouldn’t struggle to move the ball most weeks. 
I think he is the obvious front runner, but I I'd be surprised if he ever gets 65+% of the work.  Smallwood, Clement, and eventually Sproles, won't just be going away.  But ya, could see him leading the way with 10 carries/week.

I think he is the obvious front runner, but I I'd be surprised if he ever gets 65+% of the work.  Smallwood, Clement, and eventually Sproles, won't just be going away.  But ya, could see him leading the way with 10 carries/week.
What about 2019?

Smallwood is a FA I believe, Sproles is retiring, Ajayi is a FA. Clement is the only one on the roster besides Adams.

While one could say Philly doesn't go with a lead back, the counter argument to that is that they've always had a slew of RBs to choose from, so it's not just the system rather the players they had; I don't see Philly going with a 3-4 RB attack in 2019 if they only have 1 or 2 decent backs. Granted, anything can happen. They could sign Bell for all we know, but realistically speaking, as a local/fan: does Philly see content with Adams and even Clement to go out and sign a RB, or draft anyone significantly high to help on offense? I think chances are they resign Smallwood, and they do have Pumphrey, who could be promoted next year. Just curious what the 2019 outlook consensus seems to be among fans

What about 2019?

Smallwood is a FA I believe, Sproles is retiring, Ajayi is a FA. Clement is the only one on the roster besides Adams.

While one could say Philly doesn't go with a lead back, the counter argument to that is that they've always had a slew of RBs to choose from, so it's not just the system rather the players they had; I don't see Philly going with a 3-4 RB attack in 2019 if they only have 1 or 2 decent backs. Granted, anything can happen. They could sign Bell for all we know, but realistically speaking, as a local/fan: does Philly see content with Adams and even Clement to go out and sign a RB, or draft anyone significantly high to help on offense? I think chances are they resign Smallwood, and they do have Pumphrey, who could be promoted next year. Just curious what the 2019 outlook consensus seems to be among fans
I was more talking redraft but ya I guess a point could be made that he has dynasty value.  Personally I think we will be going out and getting our starting Rb next year.  Whether that's in the draft, or a free agent like bell or Ingram, is anyone's guess.  

But ya, I think we clean house on rbs next year and have someone new come in to be the starter, with Adams sprinkled in too.  Clement and Smallwood will battle it out for 3rd/4th Rb duties. 

Dr. Dan said:
What about 2019?

Depends entirely on what Adams does for the rest of the year.  If he cements himself as a 50% or more share of the workload, then I think they might just be content going into 2019 and maybe add a 5th rounder to the backfield or something minimal.  Nobody is scared of having Clement or Smallwood infront of them on the depth chart, but Adams might just be a contender to lead the backfield in the future IF he proves something these next couple weeks.  

looking for a dez replacement flyer. 

ETA: anyone "in the know" like him more than penny in SEA?

.looking for a dez replacement flyer. 

Same decision. Don't feel good about it either because once they're all healthy it's hard to see how it plays out favorably. Carson *could* get the bulk of the work any/every week or Seattle *might* remember how much they invested in Penny and make him a 2 down feature back. 

Very similar lack of certainty with Adams. Doesn't seem like he'll have a role in the passing game, but opportunity wise I like the Eagles back better.

looking for a dez replacement flyer. 

I would always go with the draft pedigree. The Eagles can say whatever they want, they're still a tough place to look for RBs b/c they run RBBC. Rah-Rah Pete will play the guy that earns it and Carson is oft-injured, while Penny can certainly be seen as earning it with a strong game. With all the bashing SEA has taken for selecting RB instead of filling a need, you have to figure ego will dictate Penny gets the chance going forward.

Very similar lack of certainty with Adams. Doesn't seem like he'll have a role in the passing game, but opportunity wise I like the Eagles back better.
It’s been asked in either this or other threads,  but does anyone know how Adams is in the passing game. He didn’t have a ton of playing time in college but did catch some passes 

It’s been asked in either this or other threads,  but does anyone know how Adams is in the passing game. He didn’t have a ton of playing time in college but did catch some passes 
Just quickly looked up his college stats and doesn't seem like he was heavily involved as a pass catcher.  41/336/2 for his career in college.  Averaging 8.2 yards per catch as well. 

He isn't special as a pass catcher.  

Users who are viewing this thread