What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Revealing draft order (1 Viewer)

Is trading allowed?  If so, earlier.  If not, who cares.
Trading is allowed and this is a new league format. As a Commish I think the more they navigate around and do mock drafts and get the hang of it the better. Our draft is Wednesday, August 29th. Me thinks tomorrow August 15th is a good time to randomize draft order - two full weeks prior this year. Maybe next year one week prior?

In only 1 league this year, and we will know our spots about 5 minutes before the start of the draft.  I have no idea the skill level of the other owners, so I will not be surprised if Aaron Rodgers goes in the first, or if a kicker goes in the 9th.

Absolutely trades allowed. 

What does that have to do with it? My main draft (16 teams) has a ton of trades every draft day, including the the entire swap of positions. 

Trading is allowed and this is a new league format. As a Commish I think the more they navigate around and do mock drafts and get the hang of it the better. Our draft is Wednesday, August 29th. Me thinks tomorrow August 15th is a good time to randomize draft order - two full weeks prior this year. Maybe next year one week prior?
There’s no harm with doing it early - so not sure you need to adjust next year.

Right there at the draft. 

The more time you give, the easier it is. No thanks. :headbang:
How is it easier? It actually can be argued that it gives more of an advantage to teams that don't bother preparing. I think anyone that spends a lot of time here is prepared to draft from any slot - but so is some guy that prints out a good cheat-sheet the day of the draft really.

Honestly I don't think either way is better or worse, it's just preference. I like knowing earlier because it gives me something to think about while waiting for draft day to get here.

Of my two main leagues, one does it a few days beforehand, and the other uses the default Yahoo setting of 30 minutes before the draft.

I suppose it doesn't really matter, but I like being able to know my slot and then mock draft the ever-loving ### out of it to give myself a better idea of how the draft will unfold.

Really, what's the big deal? If it's 30 minutes prior or two weeks? Easier or not? I think knowing the anticipation of the draft order coming is awesome, and once I have it then that too is fun for awhile practicing and anticipating. Nothing ever goes according to Hoyle so no big deal on that front either. I may have a selection of 3 WR's, 1-2 TE's, a RB 2-3, or even a top QB to choose from in round 4.

I like knowing 2 weeks in advance, and at noon today EST it will be revealed. Let's Go!!!

Of my two main leagues, one does it a few days beforehand, and the other uses the default Yahoo setting of 30 minutes before the draft.

I suppose it doesn't really matter, but I like being able to know my slot and then mock draft the ever-loving ### out of it to give myself a better idea of how the draft will unfold.
I agree with mock drafting the ever loving ### out of it as well. I know one team has already mock drafted dozen times or more without knowing their draft order. I bet they do another two dozen mocks before the actual draft. 

I agree with mock drafting the ever loving ### out of it as well. I know one team has already mock drafted dozen times or more without knowing their draft order. I bet they do another two dozen mocks before the actual draft. 
For the one that does it 30 minutes before, as soon as I get the info I go on Draft Wizard and do 3-4 simulations right before the draft.

What's Draft Wizard? Is that a Footballguys thing or something else?
Something else (FantasyPros). I think Sleeperbot also rolled out a simulator this year, although I haven't used it yet.

Simulators are great because they allow you to do a bunch of drafts quickly and try out different strategies. I especially like Draft Wizard's "revert pick" function, which allows you to do "Sliding Doors" style experiments ("What happens if I take the RB here? OK, now what if I had taken the WR?")

The risk is that because they're all based on ADP, you can fall into certain patterns and fail to plan for wildcards like the guy who takes Rodgers in the 1st or the homer who picks the sleeper you were targeting three rounds above his ADP. I like to mix simulations with live mock drafts in order to prepare myself for that level of randomness.

Why would anyone mock draft? Most people in those are there to screw around and have nothing better to do, as was proven in another thread by someone who said they just start taking random players like def or k.

Why would anyone mock draft? Most people in those are there to screw around and have nothing better to do, as was proven in another thread by someone who said they just start taking random players like def or k.
True! If folks are just screwing around or guppies are drafting, then there is no way the mock draft is an honest assessment of what's to come. Perhaps it's simply getting one prepared for the choices that will be coming at them. I found that I really don't know a whole heck of lot about some of these new RB's and WR's. How do I rank them? And then study up on these guys and rank them accordingly. I mean Bloom goes a little off the grid much of the time as well. ADP is only that. 

True. Also, I play in a 14-team league with a WR/RB flex and 5 bench spots. It can be hard to find that size league on Yahoo/ESPN mocks, and the typical lineup is 3WRs/no flex/6 bench, so the results aren't necessarily representative of what I'll see. 

Nevertheless, I find it useful to use them along with other tools like simulators and such. There is something to putting yourself in the mindset of an actual draft, practicing your in-draft process (referring to your tiers, putting guys in the queue, etc.) and, as I said upthread, introducing an element of randomness to keep you on your toes.

Something else (FantasyPros). I think Sleeperbot also rolled out a simulator this year, although I haven't used it yet.

Simulators are great because they allow you to do a bunch of drafts quickly and try out different strategies. I especially like Draft Wizard's "revert pick" function, which allows you to do "Sliding Doors" style experiments ("What happens if I take the RB here? OK, now what if I had taken the WR?")

The risk is that because they're all based on ADP, you can fall into certain patterns and fail to plan for wildcards like the guy who takes Rodgers in the 1st or the homer who picks the sleeper you were targeting three rounds above his ADP. I like to mix simulations with live mock drafts in order to prepare myself for that level of randomness.
the draft dominator thing on here does the same thing kinda/sorta.  I've heard the fantasy pros one is pretty good though from a couple friends.

One year my big money league, we drew cards for draft position 15 minutes before the draft begins....and I loved it.  You have to bring 3 strategies to the draft....early position, middle positon and late position.  You have to know every player and what your opinion is about him.  That won't happen when you know your pick 1-2 weeks in advance, when in the early rounds, you can accurately predict which players will be available with each pick.  So out of the first 40 likely players selected, I will only be looking at 10-12 of them.  If you know in advance that you're picking 3, you don't have to worry about if you like Fournette to Hunt to Gordon.....or AB to Hopkins to OBJ.....because none of these players are going to be available with your 2nd round pick.  If you find out right before draft time, then you might draw the 7 spot and have to decide between Fournette or Hunt or Hopkins.

How long before the draft is a good time? 

30 minutes

one week

two weeks

does it matter

other
For live drafts, we do it right before we start drafting as the last order of business after league votes are in. 

Last year’s winner pulls first name, each name pulls next name. 

My other league went online this year for the 1st time, and so we put it to vote. Of 12, 7 voter within 5 mins to randomize the draft immediately, so 10 days. 

People wanted to know their picks for draft prep. Go figure. ;)  

Easier to plan. Easier to trade. Easier in every way.

I have a couple drafts where we pick a week or two in advance... its much easier, but we like it because the owners aren't as good and it helps them quite a bit.
But the "bad" owners are bad because they aren't spending time to plan - so by giving nobody time to plan you're leveling the playing field and making it easier on them.

and of course it's easier to trade, but what's bad about that?

Absolutely trades allowed. 

What does that have to do with it? My main draft (16 teams) has a ton of trades every draft day, including the the entire swap of positions. 
So how long do you give for trades between the time the order is announced and the time when the 1st pick starts?   How much time do you give per pick?

But the "bad" owners are bad because they aren't spending time to plan - so by giving nobody time to plan you're leveling the playing field and making it easier on them.

and of course it's easier to trade, but what's bad about that?
exactly the opposite in my leagues estimation. and we have a full 16 team off-season owners meeting to discuss it/rules and bbq & drink! many of the same owners also roll over into the other 2 leagues. setting the draft ahead of schedule makes it easier on the underdog teams. the last time it was brought up to vote it was a full agreement on exactly that. the best owners get things done and are prepared for any draft slot with variety of plans. the weaker teams need the time to level the playing field and be prepared for the single placement they are given weeks in advance.

and again, our other 2 leagues use pre-notification. its a much easier setting.

Last edited by a moderator:
So how long do you give for trades between the time the order is announced and the time when the 1st pick starts?   How much time do you give per pick?

We talk about a couple quick items. Pull spots.  Go over rule changes, if any. Go over position placements (IDPs mostly) of the players and any other things that must be noted like division placements. Then we collect money from everyone which takes a bit of time. Finally we announce a 15-20 minute window to talk and work out trades before pick #1 is on the clock.
So its about a 40 minutes. I think pick time is 2 minutes a team. (28 or 24 total picks depending on which year of cycle) Each team is given like 3 extensions of 2 extra minutes.

And people keep trading throughout the draft all the way through. Not just at the onset.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread