What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Rolling Stones Songs No One Knows (1 Viewer)

Some have already been mentioned but here are mine-

Memory Motel, Play With Fire, Memo From Turner, Fingerprint File, Moonlight Mile, I've Got the Blues, and Jigsaw Puzzle. Also like their  covers from the early years Little Red Rooster,Route 66.

Winter is one of my favorites off Goats Head. Everything with Mick Taylor is my favorite though.

Off topic:
Dusted off my old vinyl copy of Zep's Coda the other night. What a monster tune We're Gonna Groove is. Cover or not, that is up there with their best and I never heard that one on the classic rock stations growing up.

The 60s/70s stuff feels hard to identify a lesser known one.

For something from the later albums, I liked Infamy off “A Bigger Bang.” A Keith Richards one.

ETA: Looking back through what did not get any votes in the other thread, and hasn’t been mentioned here yet for earlier stuff, I’ll throw out Tell Me (not really an unknown though).

Last edited by a moderator:
I was Nanker Phelge as an alias here from 2002 until it was nuked several years later.  Surprised that none of you Stone nerds ever asked me about it or gave a low five.  

Mick's solo catalog is pretty dismal stuff.  I'm sure his failure to produce a hit bothers him as he relaxes on his yacht.  His US and UK top tens singles were all collaborations with The Jacksons, Bowie and will.i.am.

His albums probably have an unknown gem or two but his singles are like listening to a history of production gimmicks.  He seemed intent on running away from the Stones legacy in favor of whatever sound was trendy.  I gave up on him after Super Heavy--ain't nobody coming back from that.

One song of Mick's that I like is Old Habits Die Hard from the Alfie soundtrack. It's very middle of the roadish but he's still a great singer when he just sings the words.  It does go on for one chorus too long IMO but I guess the movie had a lot of credits.

Their two most recent entries, I think, are most recent, are actually awesome and I spin them a lot, Doom and Gloom and One more Shot.

Along these lines, I've been meaning to make a playlist/mixtape/best of of the Stones from 94 to present day.  

They obvioulsy fell off consistency wise, but I think if you took their best 10-12 tracks you'd have a real nice album:

You've Got me Rocking

Love is Strong

Out of Tears

I Go Wild

Like a Rolling Stone

Saint of Me

Anybody Seen My Baby

Rough Justice

Doom and Gloom

One More Shot

Mick's solo catalog is pretty dismal stuff.  I'm sure his failure to produce a hit bothers him as he relaxes on his yacht.  His US and UK top tens singles were all collaborations with The Jacksons, Bowie and will.i.am.

His albums probably have an unknown gem or two but his singles are like listening to a history of production gimmicks.  He seemed intent on running away from the Stones legacy in favor of whatever sound was trendy.  I gave up on him after Super Heavy--ain't nobody coming back from that.

One song of Mick's that I like is Old Habits Die Hard from the Alfie soundtrack. It's very middle of the roadish but he's still a great singer when he just sings the words.  It does go on for one chorus too long IMO but I guess the movie had a lot of credits.
I do love that old habits track

I think that midcareer 5 album run from 68 to 72 or so, its hard to find hidden gems there, but I think Exile has a few songs that are maybe known by sound if not by name, I particularly love

Soul Survivor 

Ventilator Blues

I just Want to see his face

His solo stuff is mostly dreadful. You're right in that he comes across as the old dad still trying to be hip instead of being himself - which probably is why there's friction between Mick and Keith often on the direction of the Stones.

There's a smattering of decent stuff on his solo records - which I have always bought just out of blind loyalty.

Party Doll- he's always done country well

Say You Will

1/2 a Loaf

Use Me Up - pretty straight ahead cover of the Bill Withers song - duet with Lenny Kravitz

England Lost - 2017 single - while it tries for a little too hard for a "modern" sound, it isn't bad for an old man

Their two most recent entries, I think, are most recent, are actually awesome and I spin them a lot, Doom and Gloom and One more Shot.

Along these lines, I've been meaning to make a playlist/mixtape/best of of the Stones from 94 to present day.  

They obvioulsy fell off consistency wise, but I think if you took their best 10-12 tracks you'd have a real nice album:

You've Got me Rocking

Love is Strong

Out of Tears

I Go Wild

Like a Rolling Stone

Saint of Me

Anybody Seen My Baby

Rough Justice

Doom and Gloom

One More Shot
a few more:

You Don't Have to Mean It - some reggae Keith

A Bigger Bang was actually a decent record - obviously not on par with their early work, but some very good songs

Biggest Mistake

Laugh, I Nearly Died

Rain Fall Down

This Place is Empty

oh and the best solo work Mick ever did was his cameo appearances on the television show "Knights of Prosperity". If you don't remember this short lived show the premise was that a members of the help staff of a luxury building in NYC plan to rob Mick Jagger's apartment after seeing some his life style on E! Entertainment - the original title was going to be "Robbing Mick Jagger" but I guess that limited the long term plotlines of the show.

Mick 1

Mick 2

Impressions

Breaking in

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread