What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cheap Safetys (1 Viewer)

griffin6687

Footballguy
Looking to try and get some Safety's on the cheap. Who are some of your favourites. Couple of guys I may target who are free agents

Barry Church

Morgan Burnett

Tony Jefferson

Justin Simmons

Mathias Farley

Xavier Woods (is he starting for Dallas?)

Marcus Williams

Lemarcus Joyner

Adrian Colbert

Any of those guys on the list spark your interest?

Farley and Burnett are great fliers.  Unclear what snap % they will get, keeping them cheap, but lots of opportunity if they lock down a fulltime job.

And it’s the DB position, so little to lose if you guess wrong and drop one for a different upside safety after a week or two.

I’d steer clear of Jefferson.  Not as good a scheme fit as he had in Arizona and ut showed last year.  Last I heard, Heath was the Dallas starter, but little upside for a mediocre player hunting tackles in back of Sean Lee.  Bottom of the list for me.

Joyner is a pretty solid add.  Not a world beater, but he’s startable.

Watch Simmons’s progression.  May fit the same description as Joyner if his comfort level increases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking to try and get some Safety's on the cheap. Who are some of your favourites. Couple of guys I may target who are free agents

Barry Church

Morgan Burnett

Tony Jefferson

Justin Simmons

Mathias Farley

Xavier Woods (is he starting for Dallas?)

Marcus Williams

Lemarcus Joyner

Adrian Colbert

Any of those guys on the list spark your interest?
On that list I'd be targeting Simmons, Farley (perhaps less so if Geathers is healthy), Woods, Williams and Colbert. I like them all as cheap DB3 types with DB2 upside perhaps. I'd be looking at Eddie Jackson from the Bears too - same range as the guys on this list. 

Of those mentioned so far, Peppers and Farley are the most interesting to me.  The former because he will actually play where he is supposed to and the latter because he's the strong behind a weak LB corps on a defense that may have difficulty getting off the field.  But as @Arodin said - will he get enough snaps?

griffin6687 said:
Thoughts on Earl Thomas or Bradley McDougald compared to the others mentioned?
McDougald's a good one.  He put up DB2 #'s once getting FT snaps week 9 last year and the Seahawks didn't meaningfully address the position in the offseason.  Don't think he has the upside of Peppers and I trend towards Farley because of the LB's in front of each, but he is arguably safer than both.

Another name to watch is Deshazor Everett. He's on a lot of wires right now and I've been picking him up wherever I can.

Per Norton...

"Deshazor Everett finished 2017 as the starting strong safety and is set to continue in that role going forward. This is a player flying under the radar of most fantasy owners. His 41 tackles and 21 assists from last year are not enough to garner much attention. A closer look reveals 29 of those tackles and 15 of the assists along with 4 passes defended came over the final six games when he was a starter. That pace over a full slate of games would equate to a strong 77 tackles and 40 assists and 11 passes defended. If Everett can pick up where he left off, he might be as much as a solid DB2 in 2018; especially if he can add a few big plays."

Another name to watch is Deshazor Everett. He's on a lot of wires right now and I've been picking him up wherever I can.

Per Norton...

"Deshazor Everett finished 2017 as the starting strong safety and is set to continue in that role going forward. This is a player flying under the radar of most fantasy owners. His 41 tackles and 21 assists from last year are not enough to garner much attention. A closer look reveals 29 of those tackles and 15 of the assists along with 4 passes defended came over the final six games when he was a starter. That pace over a full slate of games would equate to a strong 77 tackles and 40 assists and 11 passes defended. If Everett can pick up where he left off, he might be as much as a solid DB2 in 2018; especially if he can add a few big plays."
Not Nicholson? Seems like he's been the assumed starter all offseason.

Not Nicholson? Seems like he's been the assumed starter all offseason.
Definitely need some positional clarification, too. Swearinger seems to be the SS but the team put out a first depth chart that listed him as FS and Nicholson as SS. Obviously, 1st chart isn't the most meaningful thing in the world but it's certainly making for a moving target on the SS spot in Washington.

Flying Elvis said:
Definitely need some positional clarification, too. Swearinger seems to be the SS but the team put out a first depth chart that listed him as FS and Nicholson as SS. Obviously, 1st chart isn't the most meaningful thing in the world but it's certainly making for a moving target on the SS spot in Washington.
Yeah Roto has Nicholson at FS and Swearinger at SS but Swearinger has never really been a box guy, he's always lined up deep.

Any insight on John Johnson? Took a flier on him late as a DB2 but don’t know much about him. 
I don't have any particular insight but he's one of my favourite late round guys. Probably only DB2 upside but he should provide a relatively consistent tackle floor, with good job security. As a late round guy, that's all you can ask for really I think. He's pretty underrated as a player I think.

I cam in this thread again to say George Iloka could be worth a look, depending on where he lands. He's never been a great IDP producer but I think you could do worse as a DB3/bye week depth kind of guy. It's possible a new situation brings more IDP value than the Bengals too. 

RushHour said:
I don't have any particular insight but he's one of my favourite late round guys. Probably only DB2 upside but he should provide a relatively consistent tackle floor, with good job security. As a late round guy, that's all you can ask for really I think. He's pretty underrated as a player I think.

I cam in this thread again to say George Iloka could be worth a look, depending on where he lands. He's never been a great IDP producer but I think you could do worse as a DB3/bye week depth kind of guy. It's possible a new situation brings more IDP value than the Bengals too. 
Not a bad thought actually.  I think his lack of production is more about playing in a 2-high scheme than anything else, he and Shaun Williams are very physically similar and always seemed to have the same kind of production, hinting at that.  If he ends up in a more traditional SS role this one could pay off.  It probably takes an injury at this point though, as late as this is.

Erik Harris looks like someone to watch. Started at SS in front of Karl Joseph last night. Rotoworld has a blurb about it too this morning. His box score isn't anything special, but if he holds on to the job, he could be gold. His size (6'3", 225) suggests he could spend a lot of time in the box cleaning up after old man Johnson.

Just got offered Peppers for a 5th round pick (full keeper draft pick is only rookies) Current safeties are Jamal Adams and MacDougald. Thoughts

Just got offered Peppers for a 5th round pick (full keeper draft pick is only rookies) Current safeties are Jamal Adams and MacDougald. Thoughts
Belongs in the IDP Assistant Coach forum.  But it's not like we get a ton of traffic in here to need to enforce that aggressively (sadly). 

Anyway, not a big fan of Peppers, but for a 5th round pick I'd take him easily.  I prefer the two you have by far, but it is a cheap depth add. 

Clayton Geathers is still listed as the starting SS on Roto and articles I've seen still read like he's the #1 over Farley. Anyone able to confirm this?

Clayton Geathers is still listed as the starting SS on Roto and articles I've seen still read like he's the #1 over Farley. Anyone able to confirm this?
Farley, from what I understand, is playing behind Geathers. That said, he's supposed to get used in a lot 3-safety packages because their LBs are garbage. For me, he's a hold because I don't trust Geathers at all (talent and health) and Farley played well. 

saintfool said:
Farley, from what I understand, is playing behind Geathers. That said, he's supposed to get used in a lot 3-safety packages because their LBs are garbage. For me, he's a hold because I don't trust Geathers at all (talent and health) and Farley played well. 
This.  I'm trying to justify carrying both, because whoever is there, it's like an extra LB.

Users who are viewing this thread