What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Freedom Of The Press Thread (2 Viewers)

squistion

Footballguy
There is a Freedom of Speech thread, but with Trump's repeated attack on the media, I think that this other part of the First Amendment deserves it own thread (I didn't find one in a search, if there is one the mods can merge it with that).

Anyway, from the Washington Examiner

The Senate passed a resolution with unanimous consent that "affirms that the press is not the enemy of the people," "reaffirms the vital and indispensable role that the free press serves" and "condemns the attacks on the institution of the free press."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/senate-rejects-trump-asserts-the-press-is-not-the-enemy-of-the-people

Last edited by a moderator:
The press should be attacked when its nothing but fake news this, fake news that.  It comes to a point where its not news reporting anymore and misleads the people and the Bill of Rights shouldn't apply.

The press should be attacked when its nothing but fake news this, fake news that.  It comes to a point where its not news reporting anymore and misleads the people and the Bill of Rights shouldn't apply.
So Fox News needs to go.

And who decides that? Doubt you would be cheering a Democratic President who wanted to shut down Brietbart, The Daily Caller or Fox.

Exactly, the problem is the MSM anti-Trump is clearly working.  Look no further than this political forum.  A bunch of sheep just blindly following along.

They shouldn't be allowed to through "Freedom of the Press" in everyone's face if they are reporting fake news.  
I'm trying to understand this - if the press reports lies ("fake news"), they should lose freedom of the press? How? By being prosecuted? Shut down by the government? Sued?

I'm trying to understand this - if the press reports lies ("fake news"), they should lose freedom of the press? How? By being prosecuted? Shut down by the government? Sued?
Sure. Reporting fake news makes you no better than something like the National Enquirer.  We don't consider that news, why should we consider other sources of fake news?

Sure. Reporting fake news makes you no better than something like the National Enquirer.  We don't consider that news, why should we consider other sources of fake news?
Lots of people consider the National Enquirer news. Including our President.

But to get back to the issue at hand, if someone prints "fake news", they can already be sued. There's a mechanism in the law for that already.

Exactly, the problem is the MSM anti-Trump is clearly working.  Look no further than this political forum.  A bunch of sheep just blindly following along.

Boy, you two would have been right at home in Berlin circa 1933.

Nobody thinks that you can legally shut down the National Enquirer or Weekly World News.  Even if you don't think they qualify as "the press," they has still have free speech rights.  Thanks in part to Citizens United, of course.

Prior to Donald Trump, the argument made by conservatives against the "mainstream media" was that it leaned liberal. Basically the charge, made by Limbaugh, Hannity, and a host of others, was that the media would generally report the facts, but report them in such a way that that the progressive position on any given issue was stressed. As evidence they offered all kinds of anecdotal examples, and also the fact that a majority of journalists seemed to vote Democrat in most elections.

Donald Trump went several steps further: from the beginning of his campaign, he has argued that the mainstream media actively lies.  This was a new argument, and while it is generally accepted by many die-hard Trump supporters, I'm not sure it is believed by most conservatives.

butcher boy said:
So we should censor those that lie and spread fake news?

ok...go ahead and take Trumps twitter away...the #1 pusher of lies and fake news there is.

The general public just needs to be smarter.  The Weekly World News published for years and everyone knew it was junk.   You just have to find credible unbiased news. 

Don't Noonan said:
He said it’s nithing but fake news, then you say “exactly” and say it’s anti-Trump. Being anti-Trump doesn’t make it fake

57 minutes ago, knowledge dropper said:

The general public just needs to be smarter.  The Weekly World News published for years and everyone knew it was junk.   You just have to find credible unbiased news. 
Such as?
I asked him that same question a month or so back after he said the NYT, WaPo and CNN were all FAKE NEWS and biased.

I requested he provide a list of what sources he considered credible and unbiased - his response was,

:crickets:

Actually that wasn't fake.

Trump joined his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe in feeding fish, emptying the whole box of food into a koi pond http://cnn.it/2yzmRN8
Abe did empty his whole box into the koi pond, before Trump did. The Tweet is ambiguous but didn't say Abe didn't dump the whole box (and an accompanying CNN article at that time did mention that, although it was a few paragraphs in IIRC).

*crickets*

4 examples obtained in minutes and that's all you guys got?  Don't ever say again that examples have never been posted here.  I've got binders full of fake news.

*crickets*

4 examples obtained in minutes and that's all you guys got?  Don't ever say again that examples have never been posted here.  I've got binders full of fake news.
3 out of 4 weren't fake news and the other was an opinion piece not a news article. Opinion writers speak for themselves not for the publication and publishing an opinion piece doesn't mean the publication is endorsing any facts stated by the opinion writer as verified facts. 

*crickets*

Youv'e got binders full of fake news and that's the best you could come up with?   feeding fish and handshakes?    :loco:    compares those to Seth Rich and Pizzagate and get back to me.  

Users who are viewing this thread