What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** HOT - We have one opening in our Staff Mock Auction tonight (Sat night 8/18) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Haseley

Announcement!

The Footballguys Staff has a spot available in our Staff LIVE Mock Auction tonight at 9pm et and we're opening it up to the Shark Pool faithful. This is a mock draft by definition, but we will be playing it out with a few modifications with no in-season management (more on that below). 

Some guidelines first.

• You must be available tonight (Sat 8/18) from 9pm et to around midnight
  • You must have experience in auction style drafts. 
  • There are some pre-draft questions that will be posted in the draft write-up that must be completed prior to 9pm et. 
  • You will be asked to answer 2-3 post-draft questions.
  • This participant will receive a 2018 season pro subscription (if you already have one, we'll do 2019)

Auction participants include
David Dodds
Matt Waldman
Alex Miglio
Daniel Simpkins
BJ Vanderwoude
Danny Tuccitto
Jeff Haseley
Matt Schauf (non-staff)
Josh ADHD (non-staff)
Jim Day (non-staff)
John Halpin (non-staff)
You

If you're interested, please state your case for why you'd like to participate. How many auctions have you participated in? Maybe you have a fantasy beef to settle with Dodds, maybe you have an auction draft coming up and this would be a perfect test for you. Maybe you would just like hang with us. Whatever the reason is, share it and you may be selected to participate. We're looking to make this decision around 2 or 3pm et today. 

The auction setup and scoring format:
  • 12 teams
  • PPR, 4 points per touchdown pass, 0.05 points per passing yard, 0.1 points per rush/rec yard. 6 points per touchdown
  • 20 rounds, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, (Flex RB, WR, TE), 1K, 1Def
  • All participants must field a team with 20 players
  • $200 cap
  • $1 minimum bid
  • Live auction, so only 1 bid at a time
  • 15 sec between bids
  • Rotation of nomination process among the participants
  • MFL is the host site
As I said, this will be played out, with some modifications. 

This will NOT be a Best Ball league and there will be no in-season management

There is a maximum of the following positions on your roster. All others positions will have no max to fill a roster of 20

QB - 2

Def - 1

K - 1

Instead of playing this out with in-season management, each team has the opportunity to gain points every week. (Weeks 1-16)

Each team gets 2 points for a top 3 qb, top 6 rb, top 9 wr, top 3 TE, top 3 def, and top 3 pk. 

Each team gets 1 point for QB 4-12, RB 7-24, WR 10-36, TE 4-12, etc

Each team will have a cap of one defense and one kicker

Any player on your roster that is added to IR will receive 3 points for the season. 

Payouts!
First Place - $200
Second Place - $100
Third Place - $50

That's it. If you're interested, please state your case in this thread. Looking forward to having one of you join us tonight! Thanks for being such a big part of what we do! Thanks!  :thumbup:

Jeff Haseley
Footballguys.com

Sounds interesting. Cool format. Unfortunately, I have a stupid wedding to go to. Will you guys be posting in here during the auction?

The scoring sounds very interesting. I'm free tonight. Would be my first auction of the season, but I've been meaning to find one that is properly challenging. Will be interested in seeing how it plays out regardless.

I want in.

I consider myself to be one of the best around based on high stakes league results and am more than prepared to bring auction expertise to this draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure wish I could.  I'm a heavy promoter of Auction Drafting here in the SP. Have been auction drafting for $$$ since 1998, and I have a pretty solid bidding strategy centered around gambling and being an irritant. Already committed to a high-stakes Draft tonight, however.  :kicksrock:

Hope there will be more opportunities to Draft vs Staff down the road. Thanks for the opportunity!

I'll keep this open for a little while longer and will announce who gets the spot at 3pm et. Thanks all, I know this is short notice. 

Good luck to whoever gets in. I would throw my name in, but i really suck at auction drafting. 

Thanks to everyone who threw their hat into the ring for this, especially in such short notice. TripItUp has been selected to participate. Please check your FBG personal messages and email me your information. Thanks! I'm hoping we can do more drafts vs staff in the future. 

Guess you gotta brag about thinking your good to get any where  on here. No wonder fbg is raising prices like it's going out of style #thisisamerica

Good luck to Trip. 

I'll be following along. Can always use some ff knowledge.  

I checked to follow along, but couldn't tell who Trip was. It wasn't fully fleshed out yet and I didn't get to see the one dollar bids and the real strategy in the end so I couldn't really make heads or tails of it, but I hope it went well for all involved!  

I checked to follow along, but couldn't tell who Trip was. It wasn't fully fleshed out yet and I didn't get to see the one dollar bids and the real strategy in the end so I couldn't really make heads or tails of it, but I hope it went well for all involved!  
By process of elimination I believe it’s John huckeby 

By process of elimination I believe it’s John huckeby 
Yeah, I was going to do that but also had just come back from going out to dinner and missed half of it already.  

But thanks for the information.  

eta* I really like his team. Good job, Trip.  

John Huckeby?

Cool concept.  I'm heavy into auction drafts - was interested to see how a fast auction went, I do primarily long drafts.  Will definitely follow this to see how it plays out.

I just looked over this draft, and I wish I could have put my name in to draft.

QB - Luck, and Carr are steals at their price, especially Luck, also like the value on Ben.

Rb - Ajayi, Carson really stand out for value. I like the value on Drake as well. Barber is good value too.

Wr - I think Evans will have a nice bounce back year, but I think he was the 7th or 8th highest priced receiver and that is too much for me. Someone stole Taywan Taylor, he should be at least a 5 dollar bid and I thought that before last night. The Goodwin hype is going crazy, and I like him, but when guys like Marvin Jones, Thielen, Cooks and Juju you are probably paying for his ceiling.

Te - Love Gronk for 25, you are getting wr1 value for 50 to 70 percent of the price, really like the value on Hooper, Njoku, Reed and Rudolph. Walker feels like an overpay, especially with injury news recently.

Good drafting everyone, but I really like John Halpin's and Jeff Haseley's teams.

QB - Luck, and Carr are steals at their price, especially Luck, also like the value on Ben.
4 Point passing TDs and a roster limit of two QBs suppressed the price tags for QBs...would never have guessed I'd get Roethlisberger/Stafford combo for 14 bucks.  

RBs 10-40 and WRs 10-40 were more pricey than I anticipated so you really had to pick your spots at those positions.

Te - Love Gronk for 25, you are getting wr1 value for 50 to 70 percent of the price, really like the value on Hooper, Njoku, Reed and Rudolph. Walker feels like an overpay, especially with injury news recently.
I thought it was the right price for Gronk...about triple what the TE10 would go for and his injury history hurts more in this format than it does in a redraft.

Roethlisberger, Ben PIT QB319.67Auction $5.00 

Stafford, Matthew DET QB342.66Auction $9.00 
I was targeting both, pleasantly surprised to get them for 14 bucks.

Barber, Peyton TBB RB103.75Auction $6.00 

Barkley, Saquon NYG RB (Q)‐9Auction $45.00 

Freeman, Devonta ATL RB238.28Auction $28.00 

Jones, Aaron GBP RB (S)89.07Auction $2.00 

Lynch, Marshawn OAK RB186.27Auction $18.00 
I was targeting all of these guys sans Freeman, may have overpaid a smidge for Lynch but he was the last RB I really liked so had to pay up for him.  In my predraft writeup I wrote that I was targeting Saquon at a price of 45.  

Agholor, Nelson PHI WR (Q)255.59Auction $7.00 

Benjamin, Kelvin BUF WR183.211Auction $6.00 

Ginn Jr., Ted NOS WR212.66Auction $2.00 

Hogan, Chris NEP WR143.611Auction $14.00 

Kirk, Christian ARI WR‐9Auction $6.00 

Lockett, Tyler SEA WR (Q)169.37Auction $7.00 

Sanders, Emmanuel DEN WR161.510Auction $11.00 

Sanu, Mohamed ATL WR241.98Auction $1.00 

Shepard, Sterling NYG WR203.59Auction $11.00 
My WR strategy was quanity over quality.  Just wanted 8 or 9 WRs that could pop any week.  I target Chris Hogan in all formats as I believe he is the most undervalued WR by a wide margin.  

Burton, Trey CHI TE114.35Auction $8.00 

Rudolph, Kyle MIN TE243.710Auction $8.00 
My #6 and #8TE 

Gostkowski, Stephen NEP PK (Q)181.011Auction $2.00 

Rams, Los Angeles LAR Def177.012Auction $4.00 
One of the biggest surprises to me was the cheaper prices on the top Ds and Ks.  The league format elevates the value of the positions if my math is correct.

I like D. Simpkins team a lot.  Only thing that I would have done is either targeted tate over watkins--or replace watkins with a $4-$5 wr and look to upgrade one of his qbs to a stud with the money saved.  

This is a very interesting and intriguing spin on an auction league.

Whomever is Commish, or maybe @Jeff Haseley , one question, according to your setup, up top it says the following:

Instead of playing this out with in-season management, each team has the opportunity to gain points every week. (Weeks 1-16)

Each team gets 2 points for a top 3 qb, top 6 rb, top 9 wr, top 3 TE, top 3 def, and top 3 pk. 

Each team gets 1 point for QB 4-12, RB 7-24, WR 10-36, TE 4-12, etc

Each team will have a cap of one defense and one kicker

Any player on your roster that is added to IR will receive 3 points for the season. 
So how is this figured in the weekly scores?  I didn't think this was something MFL.com could do automatically.  Does the Commish have to go in each week and manually enter these points?

BroncoFreak_2K3 said:
This is a very interesting and intriguing spin on an auction league.

Whomever is Commish, or maybe @Jeff Haseley , one question, according to your setup, up top it says the following:

So how is this figured in the weekly scores?  I didn't think this was something MFL.com could do automatically.  Does the Commish have to go in each week and manually enter these points?
Yeah, it will need to be manually entered.  Any DB experts out there who can make a script for this? 

@Jeff Haseley @Joe Bryant

You guys might have struck oil here. Please let me explain.

You could take and hold 6 to 10 different drafts just like this one every year. Make each draft a different type of draft. Do a standard snake, dynasty, an auction, an IDP, an FFPC, a super flex, etc. and have 10 "pros" in the draft and 2 of the FBG subscribers submit their application (something small) to be apart of each draft. Obvious each person could only do 1 a year so once you got a draft you wouldn't be eligible for another draft until next year. This would be a great way to see how we stack up against the best and you guys would be giving the customer (us) a little more bang for the buck. You could even do more than 1 draft for each type you chose a year. Maybe do a FFPC football guys draft  before the NFL draft, shortly after the NFL draft and just after the preseason. Then we could compare drafts and see what players are rising and falling.

Obviously this was just an idea I had out of the blue reading this thread and you guys would have to work out the details more, but I think if you guys did go with something like this next year and announced it in March or so there would be a lot of participation, or I could just be missing some marbles.

You could take and hold 6 to 10 different drafts just like this one every year. Make each draft a different type of draft. Do a standard snake, dynasty, an auction, an IDP, an FFPC, a super flex, etc. and have 10 "pros" in the draft and 2 of the FBG subscribers submit their application (something small) to be apart of each draft. Obvious each person could only do 1 a year so once you got a draft you wouldn't be eligible for another draft until next year. This would be a great way to see how we stack up and give the customer (us) a little more bang for the buck. You could even do more than 1 draft for each type you chose a year. Maybe do a FFPC football guys draft in before the NFL draft, shortly after the NFL draft and just after the preseason. Then we could see what players are rising and falling.

Obviously this was just an idea I had out of the blue reading this thread and you guys would have to work out the details more, but I think if you guys did go with something like this next year and announced it in March or so there would be a lot of participation, or I could just be missing some marbles.
Sure. Not crazy at all. We used to do a lot more with board participation in the past. It tailed off a good bit and then this year seems to have come back some. We'll look at this for 2019. The FBG Facebook account is another area where this year we got a ton of good participation. Thanks. 

You could take and hold 6 to 10 different drafts just like this one every year. Make each draft a different type of draft. Do a standard snake, dynasty, an auction, an IDP, an FFPC, a super flex, etc. and have 10 "pros" in the draft and 2 of the FBG subscribers submit their application (something small) to be apart of each draft. Obvious each person could only do 1 a year so once you got a draft you wouldn't be eligible for another draft until next year. This would be a great way to see how we stack up against the best and you guys would be giving the customer (us) a little more bang for the buck. You could even do more than 1 draft for each type you chose a year. Maybe do a FFPC football guys draft  before the NFL draft, shortly after the NFL draft and just after the preseason. Then we could compare drafts and see what players are rising and falling.

:lol:

@Joe Bryant

Joe, Ultimate Survivor was just epic. Everyone enjoyed that, especially me  ;) !

Please, please, please consider bringing that back...and when you do, remember - I have a lifetime invite!

Users who are viewing this thread