What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why do deli workers put the sticker across the opening of the sandwich meat baggie? (1 Viewer)

JuniorGong

Footballguy
Almost everytime they tape the checkout sticker across the opening of the deli meat baggie. Often you will end up tearing the baggie or having it mess with the zipper when you are back at your house. Drives me nuts. At least when I go shopping I adjust it immediately but my wife is comfortably numb to this atrocity.

Like using the sticker to make sure the bag stays closed or am I missing something here?
No, I know what he's talking about. These are the new deli bags that have the ziploc at the top, not the older bags that were open. In the old case, yes, the point of the sticker was to seal the bag. In this case, the sticker going over the ziploc has to be pulled off to get the new bag open. These are cheap ziploc bags so when you try to get the sticker off, it tears the bag, which defeats the purpose of the ziploc to keep things fresh. If they put the sticker on right, the bags work well.

Deli issues thread:

Our local grocery carries "chopped ham", I have talked about extensively in another thread.  It is a cheap, processed ham loaf that I grew up on and still love it.  The key though is that it needs to be sliced "see-through" thin.  The loaf of meat is kind of soft, so the deli slicer blade needs to be sharp and the slicer setting needs to be "0" to get it the way it needs to be.  If it isn't sliced very thinly, there is enough gristle that makes it unpleasant.  IF sliced correctly ...this stuff melts in your mouth, love it.  It's so thin, it's called "chipped" ...chipped chopped ham. 

Issue:  Where most grocery stores have long-term employees behind the meat/deli counter, this place seems to stick brand-new people behind the counter slicing meats. They don't know what they are doing and are extremely slow.  Worse, the lady supervisor is lazy and is just an overall #####.  She has told me that the slicer won't slice on zero and she has in the past, refused to slice it for me.  When she or any of her workers see me coming, they head behind the deli wall and hide - lol!  The newest person is always sent out because they don't want to take the time to slice it the way I want it.  There have been plenty of times, the new person, wanting to do a good job, has in fact - sliced it beautifully.  It just takes longer to do.  

I know I should just go to the store manager, but haven't yet.  I haven't seen the ##### supervisor in a month or so - hoping she is gone for good.  Several of the employees that have been there for awhile still hide when they see me coming and send out the new person - the last few of which did a horrible job and took 5x as long (I'm talking like 15 minutes for 1.5lbs of lunchmeat) ...if you know what you are doing, it only takes 2-3 minutes.  

And yeah, they just slap the sticker on there - sometimes it's over the opening seal.  If it tears at home I just put it in a ziplock bag.  

Binky The Doormat said:
Deli issues thread:

Our local grocery carries "chopped ham", I have talked about extensively in another thread.  It is a cheap, processed ham loaf that I grew up on and still love it.  The key though is that it needs to be sliced "see-through" thin.  The loaf of meat is kind of soft, so the deli slicer blade needs to be sharp and the slicer setting needs to be "0" to get it the way it needs to be.  If it isn't sliced very thinly, there is enough gristle that makes it unpleasant.  IF sliced correctly ...this stuff melts in your mouth, love it.  It's so thin, it's called "chipped" ...chipped chopped ham. 

I
Aint that a "Burgh" thing. 

Binky The Doormat said:
Deli issues thread:

Issue:  Where most grocery stores have long-term employees behind the meat/deli counter, this place seems to stick brand-new people behind the counter slicing meats. They don't know what they are doing and are extremely slow.  Worse, the lady supervisor is lazy and is just an overall #####.  She has told me that the slicer won't slice on zero and she has in the past, refused to slice it for me.  When she or any of her workers see me coming, they head behind the deli wall and hide - lol!  The newest person is always sent out because they don't want to take the time to slice it the way I want it.  There have been plenty of times, the new person, wanting to do a good job, has in fact - sliced it beautifully.  It just takes longer to do.  

I know I should just go to the store manager, but haven't yet.  I haven't seen the ##### supervisor in a month or so - hoping she is gone for good.  Several of the employees that have been there for awhile still hide when they see me coming and send out the new person - the last few of which did a horrible job and took 5x as long (I'm talking like 15 minutes for 1.5lbs of lunchmeat) ...if you know what you are doing, it only takes 2-3 minutes.  

And yeah, they just slap the sticker on there - sometimes it's over the opening seal.  If it tears at home I just put it in a ziplock bag.  
That looks awesome

Ilov80s said:
Like using the sticker to make sure the bag stays closed or am I missing something here?
This. If you don't know this, it is you that needs an education on proper delis, not the deli in question.

signed,

NY Jew (a higher authority on delis)

ETA: if you actually know what you are doing, it's easy enough to lift at the sticker so you can eat some while being able to reseal if you have left over. Come on people, this is what happens when McAlisters or Jason's becomes a "deli"

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread