What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Duncan and Margaret Hunter Scandal Thread (1 Viewer)

Bruce Dickinson

Footballguy
10 ways Duncan Hunter allegedly misused campaign funds

A Republican Congressman Was Accused of Using Campaign Money to Buy Tequila Shots, a Ton of Fast Food, and a Flight for A Bunny

Some highlights:

The Hunters spent $14,261.33 on a family trip to Italy for Thanksgiving in 2015. While on the trip, Hunter tried to set up a tour of a U.S. Naval facility. When the Navy said it could only accommodate them on a certain date, Margaret Hunter allegedly told Hunter's chief of staff to "tell the Navy to go f*** themselves.” No tour took place.

Margaret Hunter told the campaign treasurer the expenses “were mostly military/defense meet related," but later emailed a friend saying: “Italy was amazing. Truly our best family trip so far. Like that saying 'if traveling was free you'd never see me again?!'”

——-

In March 2015, Hunter told his wife he was planning to buy a pair of "Hawaii shorts" but didn't have the money to pay for them. She told him to purchase them at a golf pro shop so they could pass off the expense as “some [golf] balls for the wounded warriors.”

——-

In 2010, the lawmaker bought a $41.04 video game and a $1,199 computer at the Apple store. In 2015, he and his wife spent $1,528.68 at Steam Games on video games, having disclosed 67 purchases totaling $1,302 in their 2015 year-end report filed to the Federal Election Commission (FEC). In 2016, he spent $271.22 on a gaming keyboard and a mouse at Best Buy.

Following an inquiry by the FEC, Margaret Hunter reported the 2015 purchases as fraudulent to the First National Bank. The bank then credited the campaign account the $1,302.

——-

Without providing documentation showing it funds were being used for campaign purposes, Margaret Hunter — who was paid $116,000 for management and consulting services by the campaign between 2010 and 2017 — failed to provide documentation showing how $5,068.34 at fast food establishments was for campaign purposes. The fast food establishments patronized include In-N-Out Burger, Jack in the Box, Wendy’s, McDonald’s, Burger King, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and KFC. She told the campaign treasurer that a $28.88 meal at Panda Express was a "meal on campaign go."

Last edited by a moderator:
The important thing here, for me, is Duncan Hunter's defense.  In true Trumpian fashion, he is blaming "liberals within the Justice Department", and claiming this is all part of the Deep State's effort to dispose of Trump allies.

Incidentally, this is not the Duncan Hunter who ran for President in 2008; that was his father, though they have very similar positions. Duncan Hunter Sr. was, I recall quite clearly, one of the very first Republican politicians to espouse nationalist positions. As early as 1990 he came out against NAFTA and against illegal immigrants.  He was one of the forerunners of what the Republican Party has now become.

Duncan Hunter Jr. was the second Republican politician to endorse Donald Trump, after recently indicted Chris Collins. (The 3rd was Jeff Sessions.)

this was a safe seat, haven't seen any recent polling.
It's going to be tough. Duncan Hunter is a household name in the area because of his dad. It's a very red district, and his opponent is the grandson of a Palestinian terrorist with an Arabic name, endorsed by Obama.  And there's nobody else to vote for and you can't write anybody in. It's these two guys.

So who knows?

It's going to be tough. Duncan Hunter is a household name in the area because of his dad. It's a very red district, and his opponent is the grandson of a Palestinian terrorist with an Arabic name, endorsed by Obama.  And there's nobody else to vote for and you can't write anybody in. It's these two guys.

So who knows?
Where in CA is his district?

There's a naval base right there.  His opponent should be running his wife's quote 24/7.
Pulled up a map of it.  Yeah, runs right up on Camp Pendleton.  And spreads inland, getting those little mountain towns near San Diego.  

Would seem like “Hunter spent campaign money to live beyond means and covered it up by saying it was for veterans” would be wise to bring up when running against Hunter for office.

Pulled up a map of it.  Yeah, runs right up on Camp Pendleton.  And spreads inland, getting those little mountain towns near San Diego.  

Would seem like “Hunter spent campaign money to live beyond means and covered it up by saying it was for veterans” would be wise to bring up when running against Hunter for office.
Yea, it's huge.  2nd largest in the country, I think.

The General said:
“So you are saying the deep state doesn’t allow tax payer funded family vaca to Italy. Ohh. I wasn’t aware of that”
George Costanza:
[pause] Was that wrong? Should I not have done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing, because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing is frowned upon... you know, cause I've worked in a lot of offices, and I tell you, people do that all the time.

First defense: I like trump so they’re out to get me

2nd defense: see above

I've gotta hand it to Trump for doing such a great job of draining this swamp. He brilliantly played this to appear like he's one of the insiders, but through his clever maneuvering and working with Mueller he's managing to get many corrupt insiders to expose themselves. This is an unprecedented level of chess being played. 

I saw that the other night. I don't know the specific facts of his case beyond the stuff that gets discussed here, but it was a pretty sympathetic defense of himself. That this all happened last year and he repaid everything and now it's being launched now. Some of it was BS. Oh, I was in the Army and so we say #### the Navy. But if I was inclined to be on his side, the timing argument would've been a little compelling.

I saw that the other night. I don't know the specific facts of his case beyond the stuff that gets discussed here, but it was a pretty sympathetic defense of himself. That this all happened last year and he repaid everything and now it's being launched now. Some of it was BS. Oh, I was in the Army and so we say #### the Navy. But if I was inclined to be on his side, the timing argument would've been a little compelling.
Don't forget it was all his wife.

Don't forget it was all his wife.
His next excuse should be that he's bad at math. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/indicted-duncan-hunter-claims-innocence-says-his-wife-ran-the-finances/

"My campaign did make mistakes," Hunter told the network. "There was money spent on things, not by me but by the campaign, and I paid that back before my last election. I paid back $60,000 after I did an objective audit. This is pure politics."
Hunter and his wife, Margaret, are accused of illegally using $250,000 in campaign funds for personal use.  

Tom Skerritt said:
These two are scumbags. Buying expensive clothing at a golf club, and declaring it as golf balls for wounded warriors is despicable. 
The worst part about his use of "wounded warriors"? He's a Marine.

It’s hard enough when the entire Deep State is against you- but then to learn that your own wife is working with the Deep State for your destruction? 

How can you not feel for this guy? 

The 30 most astounding moments in Duncan Hunter's indictment

Highlights:

- to conceal one illegal expense, Hunter told his Chief Of Staff to write it off as "a Christian thing" with a supporter.

- Margaret Hunter purchased $152 worth of makeup and told the campaign Treasurer that it was "a gift basket for the Boys & Girls Club".

- when the San Diego Reader wrote a 2012 article about his wife's questionable expenses, he told the paper that she had been removed from his staff. Then he continued to pay her anyway.

- when staff members voiced concerns, he accused them of "disloyalty" and "trying to create a paper trail on me"

The cynical contempt for and exploitation of Christians and veterans should be shocking to see, but I just don't think it's an anomaly anymore.

It really shouldn't matter if he visited a naval base in Italy. You shouldn't get to take your entire family on an extravagant vacation regardless

- Margaret Hunter purchased $152 worth of makeup and told the campaign Treasurer that it was "a gift basket for the Boys & Girls Club".

Not to defend these ghouls but my wife is really into make-up "artistry" or whatever and my son's girlfriend does make-up tutorials on Instachat/Snapagrams.   You wouldn't believe how expensive non-drug store brand make up is.

$152 could have been like 3 things.

Users who are viewing this thread