What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Want to really make a difference? Help defeat Nunes. (1 Viewer)

Devin Nunes' Yacht‏ @Corteran 8h8 hours ago

The sheer number of Devin Nunes' family and farm animal accounts showing up on Twitter is glorious.
ICYMI, Devin Nunes is suing Twitter for $250MM, in part because the parody account Devin Nunes' Cow hasn't been shut down.  Hilarity ensues.

ETA: 

Susan Hennessey‏Verified account @Susan_Hennessey

This contains a lot of funny stuff. But what it actually is is a politician attempting to abuse the judicial process in order to scare people out of criticizing him by proving that he can cost them a lot in legal fees.
cf:  the Streisand Effect

Last edited by a moderator:
The long and short of this is that Nunes is suing to intimidate online bloggers and also to determine the identity of anonymous speakers online.

It's also going to be infinitely hilarious. I think that Cow handle is probably going to see its following increase several score-fold.

I think this Oliver Wendell Holmes quote from the defendants' response to the lawsuit exposes the disdain Nunes is displaying for the First Amendment:

"If there is any principle of the Constitution that more imperatively calls for attachment than any other, it is the principle of free thought — not free thought for those who agree with us but freedom for the thought that we hate.”
Oh, sorry, that quote was not from the response. It was from Nunes' complaint. He's using it to make the exact opposite argument of what OWH intended.

Then again, we can make fun of him all we want, but this is very dangerous. It is the epitome of a nuisance lawsuit, where you count on deep pockets to help you win a case despite having no legal ground to stand on. And Saints is absolutely right that Nunes' ultimate goal is to limit free speech.

Then again, we can make fun of him all we want, but this is very dangerous. It is the epitome of a nuisance lawsuit, where you count on deep pockets to help you win a case despite having no legal ground to stand on.
Exposure to liability doesn't seem like a huge risk for the defendants here, and I imagine the ACLU will defend the mom and the cow pro bono ... if the cow is ever served.

I understand that, in the abstract, there are theoretically sound arguments against allowing frivolous lawsuits, but in this case, I think the entertainment value outweighs any chilling effect on free speech. I support giving Nunes his day in court.

Exposure to liability doesn't seem like a huge risk for the defendants here, and I imagine the ACLU will defend the mom and the cow pro bono ... if the cow is ever served.

I understand that, in the abstract, there are theoretically sound arguments against allowing frivolous lawsuits, but in this case, I think the entertainment value outweighs any chilling effect on free speech. I support giving Nunes his day in court.
Plus, I think Virginia has some of the strongest Anti-SLAPP legislation in the country.  Which means this could end up costing him a lot of money.

Ken Olin‏ Verified account 
@kenolin1

Guy’s got a beef. He’s having a cow. He’s afraid of the herd. Wants us muzzled. Can’t moove on. Gonna milk it for all it’s worth. Believes in bovine intervention. He’s flanked. He doesn’t get we’re ribbing him. Dude’s an udder disaster.

5:52 PM - 21 Mar 2019

:lol:

Stone  🥶‏ @stonecold2050

People need to stop sending cow bells to Devin Nunes’s district office.

Devin Nunes

264 Clovis Avenue. Suite 206

Clovis, CA 93612

You know what - I think that at this stage @DevinNunesCow should sue @DevinNunes for harming its good name.*

*shamelessly stolen from twitter

I think Nunes is playing a game here - I think this is legitimately part of a concerted effort to change libel/slander law, specifically as it relates to public figures.  

I expect him to pursue these claims up to the Supreme Court - where a friendly group of judges could curb the exceptions for public figures - which would obviously have a chilling effect on free speech.

I think Nunes is playing a game here - I think this is legitimately part of a concerted effort to change libel/slander law, specifically as it relates to public figures.  

I expect him to pursue these claims up to the Supreme Court - where a friendly group of judges could curb the exceptions for public figures - which would obviously have a chilling effect on free speech.
This is a good insight (and consider what's going on in Georgia), but then Donald Trump was able to get an anti-SLAPP judgement against Stormy Daniels for Avenatti's defamation lawsuit, which I don't even understand, but if that's possible I'd like to think the two Nunes cow/mom handles and the Bee can get their pounds of flesh and then some.

Users who are viewing this thread