What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favorite Non-Poker related card game (1 Viewer)

What's your favorite non-poker card game?

• Euchre

Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Spades

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • Hearts

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • Dirty Clubs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cribbage

Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Sheepshead

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Pinochle

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Gin Rummy

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Bridge (for the older crowd)

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other (please discuss)

Votes: 23 17.4%

• Total voters

Pipes

Footballguy
I love playing cards.  Poker nights with the boys.  Cribbage with my dad and Sheepshead with the inlaws.  Euchre and the occasional Hearts or Dirty Clubs is fun too.  What's your favorite card games and what am I missing from my poll.  Always like to learn new games.

Tough to pick just one.  I love euchre, but rarely play with others.  Pinochle is fun.  Our main one these days is pitch.  

Never heard of Pitch going to have to give that a try.  My favorite is Sheepshead.  Always end up getting a couple of tables going at the inlaws over the Holidays.  Pretty tame there as we just play for dimes but a ton of fun.  We play 5 hand with the Jack of diamonds is partner.  Nothing like picking up the Jack of Diamonds in the blind and going solo and still winning.  I have some college buddies that play but I don't see them often but when I do we have some intense #### talking games with cracks and crackbacks.  So much fun.

Never heard of Pitch going to have to give that a try.  My favorite is Sheepshead.  Always end up getting a couple of tables going at the inlaws over the Holidays.  Pretty tame there as we just play for dimes but a ton of fun.  We play 5 hand with the Jack of diamonds is partner.  Nothing like picking up the Jack of Diamonds in the blind and going solo and still winning.  I have some college buddies that play but I don't see them often but when I do we have some intense #### talking games with cracks and crackbacks.  So much fun.
Are you from Wisconsin?

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
My great grandmother and her daughters used to always play pitch. I remember being a kid and seeing them curse at each other at the table when I would visit and my great grandmother born in like 1899 would talk about how much she “loved the show with that colored boy Urkel because he’s so funny.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I am Eephus. Live outside of Madison
Sheepshead is a great game but it's pretty much impossible to find a game outside of Wisconsin.  I used to play it a lot when I grew up there but have never found enough people to play even a three-handed game in California.  Sad.

Voted Cribbage because it's easy to play a quick game during halftime but Sheepshead is the superior game.

Played a lot of euchre in high school and spades in college.  Greatly prefer spades, find euchre boring anymore 

also liked to play online Hearts

Tough call.  Voted Hearts because it's only game I've seen make a fundamentalist xian curse but assuming spades is played with the right rules (Big and Little Joker, take out the red 2s, no nullos) it'd be a flat-footed tie.

I should really publish the two card games I invented back in college.

-QG

Anyone ever play Pedro (sometimes spelled 'Pedreaux')? I've only ever run into it down here in Louisiana. It's a trick-turning game based on Pitch.

The biggest difference are that the 5s are the highest-scoring cards. It's been a really long time since I've played, and I've probably forgotten all kinds of little intricacies.

Sheepshead is a great game but it's pretty much impossible to find a game outside of Wisconsin.  I used to play it a lot when I grew up there but have never found enough people to play even a three-handed game in California.  Sad.

Voted Cribbage because it's easy to play a quick game during halftime but Sheepshead is the superior game.
We have Sheepshead tournaments here but they play it differently (4 handed with 8 cards and no blind)

Bid euchre is great when you get larger tables (5, 6 or 8 handed) using multiple decks (3 or 4 right bowers).  Straight euchre feels pretty pedestrian anymore.

ETA - I haven't played in a few years, but Bourré is fun to add a little :moneybag:  to the mix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bid euchre is great when you get larger tables (5, 6 or 8 handed) using multiple decks (3 or 4 right bowers).  Straight euchre feels pretty pedestrian anymore.

ETA - I haven't played in a few years, but Bourré is fun to add a little :moneybag:  to the mix.
Yep Bourre is fun

We have Sheepshead tournaments here but they play it differently (4 handed with 8 cards and no blind)
Hmm.  That's an interesting variation.  I never liked the big blind in four handed Sheepshead and always thought 1 vs. 3 cut-throat took a lot out of the game.  If someone left a five player game, I remember playing three handed with the dealer sitting out rather than playing four handed.

Backinaday, the top poker players were also exceptional & fanatical gin players. Gin was the first game i was good at, so much so that the year i caddied at a golf course, i bought the shoe concession from a clubhouse boy so i could hustle the fat Mafiosi @ gin. But i've played both poker & gin against several poker HOFers and i was a LOT more comfortable against them @ the poker table.

Sheeps over Euchre by a hair. That's only because I don't play much sheeps anymore, otherwise there'd be no question. Might get a game going after our draft tomarrow though.

Other: Magic the Gathering.

If I must stick to the traditional 52-card deck, I choose Basada, a lesser known card game from the Middle East.

Do drinking games that involve cards count?  If so, then "Kings" was a great game back in college.

We'd take out all cards from 2-8, put face down in a circle, with one of those 44-oz plastic cups that you got at Wendy's or Mickey D's in the center.  Everyone would be drinking different stuff... beer... Boone's... booze...

Pick a card in turn...

9 - make a rhyme (you'd start a [usually] dirty poem/rhyme and first one to eff up would have to drink)

10 - person to your left drinks

Jack - person to your right drinks (cuz, ya know... ya "jacked" with the right  :oldunsure: )

Queen - categories (you'd start a category... sports cars, states, sexual positions, etc.)

King - pour however much you want of whatever you're drinking into the cup (you'd have to be careful how much you put in because if you drew the 1st or 2nd king, there'd be a good chance of you drawing the 4th king... and the 4th king DRANK THE WHOLE CUP regardless of how much or whatever the mix was)

Ace - SOCIAL!! everyone drinks

Man, those were the days.   :excited:

Bull#### was another fun one, especially if drinking

Also not cards and involves gambling but Left Right Center is fun

Users who are viewing this thread