What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jets RB - Who should start? (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
Going into this season, I predicted the Jets to go 9-7 and make the playoffs as a Wild Card team.  There's no doubt that Sam Darnold should be the starting QB going into the season, but who should the season at RB?  Right now, the Jets have three viable options: Bilal Powell, Isaiah Crowell, and Thomas Rawls.  I'm not sure who's going to start Week 1, but my money is on Thomas Rawls.  Who do you think should start at RB for the Jets?

I give very little odds of Rawls starting - in fact, he might not make the team over Atkinson.

I expect it to be much like last year, with Crowell being the grinder like Forte was, and Powell the change of pace passing down guy. The wildcard is when McGuire returns and how is health is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going into this season, I predicted the Jets to go 9-7 and make the playoffs as a Wild Card team.  There's no doubt that Sam Darnold should be the starting QB going into the season, but who should the season at RB?  Right now, the Jets have three viable options: Bilal Powell, Isaiah Crowell, and Thomas Rawls.  I'm not sure who's going to start Week 1, but my money is on Thomas Rawls.  Who do you think should start at RB for the Jets?
You're better off spending your money on a lottery ticket. Rawls hasn't looked good. I wouldn't be surprised if West makes the team over Rawls.

Regardless, it will be RBBC. The Jets used all 3 last year. The OC is different this year, but he was part of last year's coaching staff. Even though Powell has started, I would lean Crowell slightly since his contract won't be up at the end of the year like Powell.

Crowell and Powell. 

Bowles says he'll ride the "hot hand" this year, and Powell has gotten in games ahead of Crowell. 

I've always wanted to see what Powell could do if given the chance to be THE guy. Seems like one of those players who's good at everything but great at nothing and so gets overlooked a bit too much.

Is this the Jets coaching staff disguising a Who Should I Start thread?

Take it to the AC Forum boys.
Sorry, this is the place to discuss JETS RB's. Quit being such a goody two shoe.  It's a legitimate question and team managers are giving some reflecting thoughts. Some folks will have to start of flex Crowell or Powell, or some of us are looking for that out on the limb pick up to stash and play if we have to. 

Sorry, this is the place to discuss JETS RB's. Quit being such a goody two shoe.  It's a legitimate question and team managers are giving some reflecting thoughts. Some folks will have to start of flex Crowell or Powell, or some of us are looking for that out on the limb pick up to stash and play if we have to. 
I was actually joking about the Jets management.

I don’t usually play thread police and didn’t intend on starting today.

Powell carries less risk than Crow, but Crow has a cult following who believe he can be a 225 carries guy.  It's a bit like Burkhead versus White, but its the Jets offense.  In a pinch I'd take Powell hoping he can be more like Deon Lewis than White.

Powell carries less risk than Crow, but Crow has a cult following who believe he can be a 225 carries guy. It's a bit like Burkhead versus White, but its the Jets offense. In a pinch I'd take Powell hoping he can be more like Deon Lewis than White.
I mean he carried the ball 206 times last year, he can be a 225 carry guy. The cult following believed he could be a 300+ touch guy but that cult following has largely dispersed.

Crowell was looking like good value after McGuire went down with a foot injury but then we saw a near even split during preseason action. I'd probably still go with Crowell because I think he's more likely to get GL work while also getting as much as work as Powell in the passing game. Reports out of camp were that Crowell was "catching everything" and we even saw NYJ line him up out wide on multiple occasions during the preseason. 

But I'm still not very interested in NYJ this year outside of possibly Enunwa. 

Got Crowell this afternoon. Wasn’t gonna touch the Jets backfield but I think if they commit to him he is huge value where he’s going. Especially with what is left at RB when he is there (9th). 

Got Crowell this afternoon. Wasn’t gonna touch the Jets backfield but I think if they commit to him he is huge value where he’s going. Especially with what is left at RB when he is there (9th). 
They're clearly not going to commit to Crow. Powell is the guy atop the DC. Probably gonna take an injury for him to get significantly more than 50% of the work.  

They're clearly not going to commit to Crow. Powell is the guy atop the DC. Probably gonna take an injury for him to get significantly more than 50% of the work.  
Jets page has Crowell atop the DC and ESPN has Powell on top. So who knows. Ended up drafting both in one league like a dummy so will wait and see how this shakes out. 

Jets page has Crowell atop the DC and ESPN has Powell on top. So who knows. Ended up drafting both in one league like a dummy so will wait and see how this shakes out. 
Yikes. That's about how the preseason shook out, too. 

The thing is -- the OL isn't very good, nor the offense. Owning shares in Jets is probably -- and I mean probably, as things can always break a way one doesn't expect -- a tough errand at this point, though I respect your rostering of some pretty darn good backs.  

I got Crowell on one team as well as my last starter (deep rosters and deep starting lineups), as he was good value at the spot I got him, but I am not excited about it.  I sense a lot of 60 yard and 1 catch weeks coming up.  I know they have talked up his receiving skills, but I still expect Powell to dominate the RB catches.  

I got Crowell on one team as well as my last starter (deep rosters and deep starting lineups), as his was good value at the spot I got him, but I am not excited about it.  I sense a lot of 60 yard and 1 catch weeks coming up.  I know they have talked up his receiving skills, but I still expect Powell to dominate the RB catches.  
If it makes you feel any better, they were indeed lining Crowell up in the slot in preseason at times, so they have confidence in his ability to catch the ball. 

Powell has about 1/4 of the talent Crowell does.

But aside from watching Crow for years, Id have no toher insight.

I think in the beginning of the season Crowell will get the majority of the carries, but Powell will eat into the carries as the season goes on and it will end up a split.

Powell has about 1/4 of the talent Crowell does.

But aside from watching Crow for years, Id have no toher insight.
Uh, I've rostered Crowell and watched him a lot. I want to believe you because I took Crowell in the FFA music league, but Powell is a darn fine back who indeed -- @Survivor7700 -- eats into the first-stringer's carries by game seven or eight of the season, ultimately often leading the way once the coaches figure out who the better back is. 

Uh, I've rostered Crowell and watched him a lot. I want to believe you because I took Crowell in the FFA music league, but Powell is a darn fine back who indeed -- @Survivor7700 -- eats into the first-stringers carries by game seven or eight of the season, ultimately often leading the way once the coaches figure out who the better back is. 
my spidey senses tell me that Crowell just joined the Jets this offseason.

So bilal beating out prior scrubs means nothing now. Crow is the most talent back theyve had in a long time.

my spidey senses tell me that Crowell just joined the Jets this offseason.

So bilal beating out prior scrubs means nothing now. Crow is the most talent back theyve had in a long time.
And that's why I went back to the well and took Crow ahead of Powell, despite Crow coming off a not-so-stellar year.

I always own Powell at the beginning of the year, and the same #### happens with the coaching staff every year. Some guy on his last legs gets paid 4 million to come in and get 3.3 YPC and by the time they figure it out, it's game eight and I've dropped Powell. 

Argh.  

I also need to ask a Jets fan this question because I do not know the answer to this. What is the Jets offensive line like? Is it a solid offensive line or is it weak? The offensive line has a lot to do with how productive a RB can be.

I also need to ask a Jets fan this question because I do not know the answer to this. What is the Jets offensive line like? Is it a solid offensive line or is it weak? The offensive line has a lot to do with how productive a RB can be.
Weak OL, at least in pass pro. Dinged, too, during preseason. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, long-time LT, retired before last year due to health concerns (worries about concussions and CTE) and Nick Mangold is retired, so two quality guys haven't quite been replaced yet. 

@Dr. Octopusmight know better than me. I'm a tad more of a casual fan.  

Weak OL, at least in pass pro. Dinged, too during preseason. D'Brickashaw Ferguson, long-time LT, retired before last year due to health concerns (worries about concussions and CTE) and Nick Mangold is retired, so two quality guys haven't quite been replaced yet. 

@Dr. Octopusmight know better than me. I'm a tad more of a casual fan.  
So that could be a major problem for both Crowell and Powell.

You're better off spending your money on a lottery ticket. Rawls hasn't looked good. I wouldn't be surprised if West makes the team over Rawls.

Regardless, it will be RBBC. The Jets used all 3 last year. The OC is different this year, but he was part of last year's coaching staff. Even though Powell has started, I would lean Crowell slightly since his contract won't be up at the end of the year like Powell.
Not to mention the amount Crowell is getting paid to come in as a free agent. This is also a huge point, and NYRAGE is a Jets fan who knows his stuff.  

There's a really good chance they are. The Buffalo/Jets games the past few years have been ugly, lopsided, and weird. I can never get a handle on who the better team is from the head-to-head matchups.
Could possibly by the time the two play have two Rookie QB's going at it. 

Could possibly by the time the two play have two Rookie QB's going at it. 
Indeed.  Darnold didn't really move the ball downfield at all during preseason, so jury's still out on stacked boxes for these RBs, too.  

Really, I'm a Jets fan that happens to really like both backs and came to that independently of a rooting interest, but I hate their situation. That's why Elevencents picked them up in the ninth and tenth or whatever.  

Users who are viewing this thread