What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Noah Fant, SEA (1 Viewer)

BigTex

Don't mess with Texas
TE Noah Fant, Iowa

6'5, 241lbs 

A projected 1st rounder who ran track, played basketball and football, last year he led the nation with 16.5 yards per catch at his position. 

He broke the school record for tight ends in the vertical jump at 42 inches which was previously record was held by San Francisco's George Kittle, it's also the highest recorded by any TE since 2012.

His Coordinator is Brian Ferentz who coached Gronk and Aaron Hernandez as the tight ends coach in New England.

The guy is a Freak and someone I MUST have on my squad just watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yje1BsRrYvI

Tex

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah this guy is incredible. I’m already salivating at the thought of drafting him - instant top 5 dynasty TE

Yeah this guy is incredible. I’m already salivating at the thought of drafting him - instant top 5 dynasty TE
I loaded up on 2019 picks as he's one of my targets. I'd put him against any TE drafted in the last 5yrs (talent wise), honestly I can't think of too many I'd put ahead of him.

Tex

I loaded up on 2019 picks as he's one of my targets. I'd put him against any TE drafted in the last 5yrs (talent wise), honestly I can't think of too many I'd put ahead of him.

Tex
Completely agree. He should be a top 5 rookie pick, given the scarcity at the position in fantasy.

Iowa junior TE Noah Fant declared for the 2019 NFL Draft.

Fant (6'4/232) is considered by many evaluators to be the best tight end in this draft class. ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr., for one, ranks him as his top player at the position. While there is no denying Fant's athleticism -- he could put up awe-inspiring marks at the NFL Scouting Combine down the road -- we were hoping for a bit more of a gaudy stat-line during the season, which did not come to pass. Fant finished the year the owner of a 39-518-7 receiving line. Slight quibble on numbers aside, when all is said and done, it's very possible that Fant ends up the first tight end drafted this spring. He's no Day 1 lock, but will certainly be in the conversation.

Source: Noah Fant on Twitter 

Nov 30 - 12:06 PM

I work with his Dad.  He is a great kid, smart and not likely to find himself in any trouble.  Going to be a great NFL prospect.
He's still going to have to go to a team that knows how to use him correctly. He's more receiver than blocker is he not? Great for fantasy if the right team drafts him. He could go to JAX and be a complete zero like every receiver there.

Love his talent he’ll be great. He has some competition but he’s the top in this class. There’s probably 3 or 4 TEs that I really like  but I plan to grab Fant and trade one of my 1st and 2nds for Kittle. TEs are premo in my league.

TE

He's still going to have to go to a team that knows how to use him correctly. He's more receiver than blocker is he not? Great for fantasy if the right team drafts him. He could go to JAX and be a complete zero like every receiver there.
He could also go to Dallas and be a stud.

Tex

I hope he goes to Tennessee, Carolina or Dallas - three places I think would be a great fit.  But hell anywhere he goes sets him up pretty well financially for a kid who just turned 21 a few weeks ago.

I hope he goes to Tennessee, Carolina or Dallas - three places I think would be a great fit.  But hell anywhere he goes sets him up pretty well financially for a kid who just turned 21 a few weeks ago.
We were hoping Jonnu would be an all around great TE but he sure hasn't shown to be the receiver Mariota needs.  Fant would be great. 

All I know is that once the Rams moved to LA I no longer have a favorite team.  KC is the closest so I watch them more than anyone else - but wherever he is drafted will become my new favorite team. So at least I have that to look forward to.

He is very good. I’d go as far to say he’s 2nd best TE at Iowa.
That was amazing that two TEs at Iowa split the Big 10 TE of the year (Hockenson media and Fant coaches).  Both of them are great players.  The difference is that the media doesn't have to game plan.  It was a sad day a few years ago when Noah went to Iowa instead of Nebraska, losing an in state kid of that caliber hurt - but he made the right choice at the time.

That was amazing that two TEs at Iowa split the Big 10 TE of the year (Hockenson media and Fant coaches).  Both of them are great players.  The difference is that the media doesn't have to game plan.  It was a sad day a few years ago when Noah went to Iowa instead of Nebraska, losing an in state kid of that caliber hurt - but he made the right choice at the time.
They are both great. I was kind of kidding about Hockenson being better. I haven't seen enough to really know but TJ does seem like the more all around TE. 

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller spoke with an AFC area scout and an NFC offensive coach who have vastly different views of Iowa junior TE Noah Fant.

"Probably could have gone back to school, worked on his numbers and be a top-15 pick," the AFC scout said, noting that "we loved him" coming into the season. The scout does not believe that the 6-foot-4, 232-pounder will show out well in the 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine. The NFC coach dissented from such notions, saying, "He's the best tight end in the class, bar none. Long, athletic, fluid. He's exactly what we look for." Fant will almost certain come off the board by the end of Day 2, but we'll see if he can turn in a process befitting of a Day 1 selection. For his part, Miller ranks the Iowa tight end as his No. 12 draft-eligible prospect for the spring. Fant declared at the end of November.

Source: Bleacher Report 

Dec 11 - 8:09 PM

The only rumblings I have heard that are in any way negative are for his blocking.  He is NOT George Kittle or Dallas Clark when it comes to blocking, that is just a fact.  However his route running, speed, strength and receiving skills are all very good.

this guy worth a late 1st if he has an optimal destination?
Yeah but he has serious bust potential I think. Blocking being his big issue, if he goes to the wrong place, he's TEBC and plays mostly on passing downs. If he goes to the right place he's a huge WR yet he still has the potential to be like Chris Henry (RB that was a flop after crazy combine). You could strike gold or coal.

Yeah but he has serious bust potential I think. Blocking being his big issue, if he goes to the wrong place, he's TEBC and plays mostly on passing downs. If he goes to the right place he's a huge WR yet he still has the potential to be like Chris Henry (RB that was a flop after crazy combine). You could strike gold or coal.
This is how I am viewing him - a hybrid - given the right situation could be a monster but if cast in a traditional TE role could disappoint.

It's likely a miss on my Gesicki pick so let's see if I can get this kid
Well, I wouldn't say Gesicki is a bust. how many rookie TEs actually make a big splash?

I just worry he's the same as Gesicki. Seems to have similar weaknesses. He's not terribly big as far TEs go. Very talented though. someone I have big interest in watching 

Noah Fant - TE -  Hawkeyes

The Athletic's Bruce Feldman has heard that Iowa junior TE Noah Fant has recorded a 42-inch vertical jump.

Feldman authors the annual "Freaks List" which highlights the most athletic college players in the country, and Fant (6'4/232) was listed No. 6 because of that vertical. Fant would be the fourth tight end ever to jump at least 42 inches at the Combine if the rumors are true. The last tight end to jump over 40 inches was Penn State's Mike Gesicki, who was selected with the 42nd overall pick in last year's draft. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller reports that the NFL has different views on Fant at the moment, but most teams will quickly be on board with Fant as a first-round prospect if he jumps over 40 inches.

Source: The Athletic 

Dec 28 - 8:48 PM

Noah Fant - TE -  Hawkeyes

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah called Iowa TE Noah Fant the most explosive tight end in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Fant (6'4/232) is expected to test as the most explosive tight end at the NFL Combine too. Bruce Feldman put Fant on his annual "Freaks" list after he reportedly reached 42 inches on the vertical. On the football field, Fant operates as an oversized wide receiver-type tight end who is usually tasked with running routes, not blocking. As a receiver in 2018, Fant scored a touchdown on 5-of-9 red zone targets. Jeremiah ranked Fant as his No. 28 overall prospect, and he's expected to be a mid-to-late first-round pick.

Source: NFL on Twitter 

Feb 10 - 5:48 PM

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller writes that Iowa TE Noah Fant is beginning to look "more like a Round 2 target."

"He's going to test well [at the combine], but he's nothing more than a big receiver," said a scouting executive who spoke with Miller. That executive added that "f you liked Evan Engram, you'll like him." Miller is now of the belief that both T.J. Hockenson and Irv Smith Jr. will be drafted before Fant. It's been an interesting draft trip for the 6-foot-4, 232-pounder, who was more or less viewed as a consensus TE1 heading into the 2018 season, before Hock began to steal away eyes after the campaign got underway.

SOURCE: 
Bleacher Report

Feb 23, 2019, 11:42 AM

Iowa TE Noah Fant ran the 40-yard dash in an unofficial 4.51 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Fant (6'4/249) is an out-and-out athletic freak. He was expected to destroy combine testing and is off to a hot start. For reference's sake, his 40-yard dash time would have been good for ninth-best among running backs (who went through the dash on Friday). He figures to kill his jumps and agility drills later on Saturday. The standout tight end is very much going to be in play for a first-round selection come April.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 2, 2019, 8:50 AM

Iowa TE Noah Fant posted a SPARQ score in the 98.4 percentile at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Fant (6'4/249) was dominant in all of his drills, starting with a 4.50 second 40-yard dash time; an excellent score considering his size. He also showed off a 39.5 inch vertical, posted the fastest time of any tight end in the three-cone drill with a 6.89 second mark. Add in a solid 20 bench press reps, and Fant proved that he's an athletic specimen. His teammate at Iowa T.J. Hockenson might be the first player at the position, but Fant really looks like a first-round pick right now.

SOURCE: 3 Sigma

Mar 5, 2019, 5:20 PM

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compared Iowa TE Noah Fant to Eric Ebron.

Fant (6'4/249) is a better athlete than Ebron was coming out of college, but this is a fair comparison. After busting with the Detroit Lions, Ebron showed his receiving upside with the Colts in 2018 and Fant has as much, if not more, upside as Ebron as a receiver. Zierlein predicts that Fant will be a "new matchup toy" and could be split out wide to get into open space. Fant, however, doesn't get it done as a blocker compared to T.J. Hockenson, but that likely won't keep him from being a first-rounder.

Mar 10, 2019, 5:04 PM

I hope he isn't another Coby Fleener. 
I think the biggest mark in his favor over Fleener is breakout age. Fleener didn't breakout in college until 22 and didn't enter the NFL until age 24. Fant is going to be halfway through his NFL rookie season before he turns 22. Fant broke out in college at 19. 

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah reports that some NFL teams view Iowa TE Noah Fant as an 'X' receiver.

The comparison he uses is Vincent Jackson, who showed up to the NFL Scouting Combine at 6-foot-5, 241 pounds. Fant (6'4/249) and Jackson both ran 4.50-second 40-yard dashes, so this is an interesting comparison. All scouting reports praise Fant's receiving abilities while knocking his blocking skills, so we can expect Fant to be utilized heavily as a receiver in the NFL. While T.J. Hockenson is a better blocker, Fant arguably offers the most upside as a pass-catcher, making him a potential top-25 selection.

SOURCE: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

Mar 13, 2019, 11:37 AM

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah ranks Iowa TE Noah Fant No. 15 overall.

Before the NFL Scouting Combine, Jeremiah slotted Fant (6'4/249) as the 23rd overall prospect, but he then ran the 40-yard dash in 4.50 seconds vaulting him into elite athletic company. Jeremiah calls Fant a "shield blocker in the run game" and even reported that some NFL teams view him as a wide receiver in the Vincent Jackson mold. With his athletic profile and pass-catching abilities, Fant is expected to be a first-rounder, but that's not quite a guarantee.

Mar 17, 2019, 1:55 PM

I wonder if this means he will undergo a position change?
It would lower his ceiling a little.

Elite TE > Elite WR

But he has a higher hit rate as a WR.....would likely produce earlier in his career for owners. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The Athletic's Scott Dochterman projects the Denver Broncos with the 10th pick as a fit for Iowa TE Noah Fant.

He also projects fellow Iowa tight end T.J. Hockenson in the top 10 selections, with Hockenson going to the Lions with the eighth pick. We haven't heard the Fant match specifically, but we have heard Hockenson to the Broncos, and if Hockenson isn't there, well, it makes it tough to draft him. "With a new quarterback in Joe Flacco, Denver could use a target close to the goal line to help him adapt," writes Dochterman. "Consider Fant, by far the nation’s best red-zone threat the past two seasons, the best candidate for the Broncos." It would mean passing on a quarterback of the future or corner, but tight end is definitely a need, and Fant (6'4/249) is definitely a good one.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Mar 21, 2019, 5:49 PM

NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares Iowa TE Noah Fant to Indianapolis Colts TE Eric Ebron.

Fant (6'4/249) profiles similarly to Ebron in the sense they were both athletic with a lot of upside but a bit raw. Zierlein notes that Fant "needs to get stronger and more competitive at the point of attack to help a run game, but if that never happens, his ability to uncover and hit big plays will still make him a coveted prize." Fant has routinely been mocked inside the 1st round and even inside the top-10. He and his former teammate, T.J. Hockenson, will likely be the first two tight ends off the board in April.

Mar 24, 2019, 10:30 AM

Iowa TE Noah Fant visited the Minnesota Vikings.

The Vikings' No. 18 overall pick is right in Fant's (6'4/249) expected draft range, but most expect the team to address their problematic offensive line. With that being said, Fant's athleticism and receiving ability makes him a fit for nearly every NFL team, so we shouldn't rule him out for the Vikes. NFL Media's Lance Zierlein compares Fant to former top-10 pick Eric Ebron, who just scored 13 touchdowns in 2018 after a slow start to his career.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Apr 5, 2019, 8:37 PM

NFL Media analyst Charles Davis ranks Noah Fant 11th on his first-round big board for the 2019 NFL Draft.

What's interesting about this ranking -- other than the fact that it's just interesting by itself -- is that it's higher than fellow Iowa TE T.J. Hockenson. Just by one spot (Hockenson ranks 12th), but still higher. Davis calls Fant the best receiver at the position, and that he can run and "will block." Hockenson is considered the more complete tight end by most, but it just takes one team to think like Davis. It would not be a monumental upside if he went ahead of Hockenson in two-plus weeks.

Apr 8, 2019, 2:43 PM

Users who are viewing this thread