What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stop doing that with your roster, young man! You’ll go blind! (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
PSA: with the season just a week away, I felt it important to share with you the story of a young FFB manager who wouldn’t stop rosterbating. 

He’d spend hours gazing lovingly at his  lineups, doting on every positive update, fretting over every piece of bad news, always looking for the angle - typing up trades & clearing them before hitting submit. Then convincing himself that “THIS is the deal that puts me over the top!” And *click!* submit. 

He was proud of the team he’d drafted, but between the end of his draft & the start of the season, somehow it just wasn’t enough. The rush that the draft gave him was gone. As a result he’d made several odd moves - add/drops & questionable trades. 

By the time the season had started, his roster had changed substantially.

And that was his worst FFB season ever. 

I’m not ashamed to admit it - that young man was me.

I...i was a compulsive rosterbater. 

At first it was cool - “everyone does it!” I’d tell myself to make myself feel better about my habit. “I can quit anytime I want!”  :unsure:

But it wasn’t cool. It wasn’t cool at all. And I couldn’t stop. I just couldn’t stop. 

So take it from me, kids - just say no to excessive rosterbation. It can do real harm to you, and to your fantasy teams.

The season is just a week out - at this point it’s best to simply put the computer away. Reject all trade offers. Ignore in-league messages asking “what would it take to get __________ ?

Through sheer will & determination I’ve kicked the rosterbation habit. You can too. And if you haven’t yet rosterbated, don’t start. Yeah, I know - it feels good, maaaaaaan. But it’s a one way street leading to a dead end. 

Also, I went blind doing it & i’m using voice-to-text to post this, so there’s that. and don’t get me started on the hairy palms. :doh:  

Last edited by a moderator:
I regret to report that since posting this topic last night I’ve fallen off the wagon & traded Todd Gurley for a package of Danny Amendola, Darren Sproles & Mitch Trubiski. 

Damn you rosterbation....damn youuuuuu!   :sadbanana:

Took over my first dynasty team this offseason and started rosterbating right away, just blowing it up for picks mostly, and guys I liked. I went into the draft with a nice arsenal and was able to land every player I was targeting with what ended up being 7 picks.

After the draft I was addicted. I couldn't help myself. I reloaded and got a second wind. I started trading more, even some of the 7 that I drafted. I was accumulating even more players that I wanted to grab before the preseason started (Lockett, Barber, Godwin, James Washington, Anthony Miller). I also stocked up on draft picks. Dealing and flipping players for what ended up totaling 5 first rounders, 2 seconds, and a 3rd (including my own 1, 2, 3).

I'm actually quite pleased. It's been difficult to adjust to having a completely gutted team, but at least it's one I enjoy looking at. It's my team. Not someone else's abandoned team. 

I did fill the void by taking over another team and blowing that roster up prior to that draft as well. I'm less excited about that roster, but overall it's been fun. 

It was the late 80's when I discovered this. I would go out and buy a magazine and pretty soon I too was rosterbating. How could a young man not, looking through that magazine. I'm much older now. I don't know if they still even publish those magazines. So much is done on line now. I still like to google, but I no longer rosterbate.

I'm wondering if I should drop Gronk. Jalen Ramsey say's he's not that good.
:lol:  

Ramsey is the new Derrell Revis with this schtick. I don’t know what my anyone gives him the attention he’s so desperately craving, but dude sure is thirsty. 

I wonder if he’ll make the list of names from players on his schedule & pin it to his  locker - I forget who did that back in the day - might have have been Revis.

the trouble with this kind of schtick is that once Ramsey starts to fade, eeeeeeveeyone will remember the schtick. It’ll come back 10-fold. 

This is an example of chronic rosterbation... I play in a 14-team standard double flex league. We have a Max of 7 moves per week, 72 for the season. A guy in my league:

• Spent $9 on Eric Ebron
  • Spent $5 on Will Dissly
  • Spent $5 on Chicago
  • Dropped Dissly for Darren Sproles
  • Dropped Sproles for Frank Gore
  • Dropped Gore for New York Jets D
The last 3 moves were done in a 15 minute span. He has one more move left for the week, which he will use to pick someone as a lottery ticket before a Sunday game starts. He's at 13 for the season.

PSA: with the season just a week away, I felt it important to share with you the story of a young FFB manager who wouldn’t stop rosterbating. 

He’d spend hours gazing lovingly at his  lineups, doting on every positive update, fretting over every piece of bad news, always looking for the angle - typing up trades & clearing them before hitting submit. Then convincing himself that “THIS is the deal that puts me over the top!” And *click!* submit. 

He was proud of the team he’d drafted, but between the end of his draft & the start of the season, somehow it just wasn’t enough. The rush that the draft gave him was gone. As a result he’d made several odd moves - add/drops & questionable trades. 

By the time the season had started, his roster had changed substantially.

And that was his worst FFB season ever. 

I’m not ashamed to admit it - that young man was me.

I...i was a compulsive rosterbater. 

At first it was cool - “everyone does it!” I’d tell myself to make myself feel better about my habit. “I can quit anytime I want!”  :unsure:

But it wasn’t cool. It wasn’t cool at all. And I couldn’t stop. I just couldn’t stop. 

So take it from me, kids - just say no to excessive rosterbation. It can do real harm to you, and to your fantasy teams.

The season is just a week out - at this point it’s best to simply put the computer away. Reject all trade offers. Ignore in-league messages asking “what would it take to get __________ ?

Through sheer will & determination I’ve kicked the rosterbation habit. You can too. And if you haven’t yet rosterbated, don’t start. Yeah, I know - it feels good, maaaaaaan. But it’s a one way street leading to a dead end. 

Also, I went blind doing it & i’m using voice-to-text to post this, so there’s that. and don’t get me started on the hairy palms. :doh:  
Are you the guy making trades for Houston?

Are you the guy making trades for Houston?

yes, my real name is Bill O’Brien. I’m just so grateful for all the help I’ve received on the assistant coach forum. 

So far in my “dynasty league” I’ve pulled Kenny Stills, Duke Johnson & Carlos Hyde and only had to give two 1st rounders, a couple 3rds, a 5th, a few other players and a handy behind the league office 

how’d I do? 

yes, my real name is Bill O’Brien. I’m just so grateful for all the help I’ve received on the assistant coach forum. 

So far in my “dynasty league” I’ve pulled Kenny Stills, Duke Johnson & Carlos Hyde and only had to give two 1st rounders, a couple 3rds, a 5th, a few other players and a handy behind the league office 

how’d I do? 
Damn. This is so sad. But funny.  If I were a Texans fan I might start reconsidering the Cowboys.

I've been Tradubating myself but I think it will end with a happy ending. I traded Vance McDonald for Trequan Smith. And then I turned Smith into Alexander Mattison. Given that I have Dalvin Cook, I think that's a pretty happy ending. What do you think?

I prefer to call it "the churn" and I've got a lifelong affliction.
Yes sir, me too.

I consistently have a higher (or the highest??) number of transactions every year in my leagues.

But then again, I'm usually around come the playoffs, more than my fair share, whilst most of my league mates aren't.   

I'm not happy unless I'm sitting around in my boxers one some random Wednesday night trying to upgrade my WR3 or cuff a RB4.   :football:   

TZM

I'm not happy unless I'm sitting around in my boxers one some random Wednesday night trying to upgrade my WR3 or cuff a RB4.   :football:   

TZM
TZM’s friends stopped wondering what he was doing with all that lotion years ago.  :shrug:

I usually make 30-40 transactions per year in redraft. I go through a lot of streamers @ QB, TE, K & DST. I don’t tinker too much with the core.

I don’t WR chase points because a guy has one good game on 3-5 targets, or swap out lottery tickets unless there’s a clear path to upside.

This year I took Howard in the 6th and Cam in the 8th, so probably have less churn.

One year (2005 or sumtin) I think I set the league record with 76 roster moves. Included in that was a 10-player swap (5x2) hat didn’t really improve either team. Garbage year out of the money (5th or 6th.)

I can stop whenever I want to.

Mother: Did you even LOOK for a job today?

Son: No....ma.....I called and they said they were taking interviews next Tuesday, so I"ve been in my room all day listening to Slayer and tweaking my roster.

Users who are viewing this thread