What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's the most embarrassing way you got injured? (1 Viewer)

Al O'Pecia

Footballguy
When I was about eight years old I went to a roller skating birthday party.  I barely knew how to skate and it showed. Apparently, a morbidly obese mom was also unsure on her skates, and was about to go down sending reverberations throughout the rink.  She thought she could avoid falling by bracing herself on 60 pound me for support.  She was wrong.  Oh boy, she was wrong.

We both went down in a heap with her on top of me.  It was like one of those cartoons where you could only see arms and legs sticking out from under a grand piano that fell on someone out of nowhere.  To add to the cartoon effect a huge bump instantly popped up on my forehead because my head was driven into the super hard skating rink floor.  

Long story short, I ended up with a trip to the hospital, a concussion, and a bump like this because a fat lady fell on me.

What's your embarrassing injury?

Decided to demolish a shed outside our college house one night with cinder blocks. Was going well until I hit a post and it bounced the block back onto my left big toe. In my cartoonish pain reaction I stepped on a plank with a nail sticking up with my right foot. So I lost that round but may have won the stupidest injury ever. 

Mine isn't all that exciting but we we recently got a new bed and it's legs stick out a lot more than our previous bed. I have taken a corner of the bed to my shin about 5x already. How many times am I going to walk into this damn thing? 

Playing flag football with a father son group. One of the boys was 17 but built like an nfl RB. He caught a ball in the flats. I went to grab is flag but got my hand stuck in the flag belt. He cut when i tried to stop and pull the flag and I hyper extended my knee. That was pretty painful and i was on crutches for a couple weeks. So glad i didn’t tear anything.

Knocked on my ### ice skating once and landed directly on my tailbone. 

Making matters worse was I had a bowling tournament the next day at which I could barely bend. Bowled 30 pins below my average that day. 

Buddy and I were at Michigan International Speedway for the Nascar race about 20 years ago..  Walking around the night before the race, drinking a lot of beer..  There was a 10' fence that we had to walk quite a long way around so we decided to just climb over it.  As I was going over the top, my shoelace got caught in the little pointy things at the top.  I fell to the ground and broke my fall with my right hand.  Ended up with a scaphoid fracture of my navicular bone... It never healed on it's own or even after surgery.  I get cortisone injections to deal with the pain and my only option now is a wrist fusion surgery that will have to be done in the near future.

Riding my bike home from the pool when I was 10-12 give or take.  Something attractive got my attention on the tennis courts, I didn't remove my eyes from her, then I rode right into a parked car.  I flipped over the hood, but thankfully came to a skidding halt on the other side so I avoided anything major.  Badly skinned my knee and it took at least 10 years to fade.  Can still kinda see it if you squint hard enough and know it's there today.  And to the shock of no one I didn't get number.

Buddy and I were at Michigan International Speedway for the Nascar race about 20 years ago..  Walking around the night before the race, drinking a lot of beer..  There was a 10' fence that we had to walk quite a long way around so we decided to just climb over it.  As I was going over the top, my shoelace got caught in the little pointy things at the top.  I fell to the ground and broke my fall with my right hand.  Ended up with a scaphoid fracture of my navicular bone... It never healed on it's own or even after surgery.  I get cortisone injections to deal with the pain and my only option now is a wrist fusion surgery that will have to be done in the near future.
Did something similar at a football game in college, but I just ripped open my arm instead of breaking a bone.  Unlike the sinned knee that scar is still there today.

Tried to hurdle a 4 ft wooden fence in a full sprint..front leg made it over back ankle hit fence..screwed my ankle up but I then landed full force into a huge rose bush and had thorns imbedded into my chest and stomach.  I had to go to emergency to get them out. Edit:  This was after boating and a dozen beers... and I did not have a shirt on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riding my bike home from the pool when I was 10-12 give or take.  Something attractive got my attention on the tennis courts, I didn't remove my eyes from her, then I rode right into a parked car.  I flipped over the hood, but thankfully came to a skidding halt on the other side so I avoided anything major.  Badly skinned my knee and it took at least 10 years to fade.  Can still kinda see it if you squint hard enough and know it's there today.  And to the shock of no one I didn't get number.
Definitely ran into a parked car playing laser tag on bikes as a kid. Scrambled to my feet, put the batteries back in my blaster and fled the scene. 

Mine isn't all that exciting but we we recently got a new bed and it's legs stick out a lot more than our previous bed. I have taken a corner of the bed to my shin about 5x already. How many times am I going to walk into this damn thing? 
You're like Tong Po from Kickboxer toughening up your shins. 

That's like a scene out of a teeny-bop movie.

I've dislocated my shoulder by (1) attempting to grab a shirt out of a laundry basket, (2) watering my landscaping, and (3) cleaning my garage.  All 3 required trips to the ER.

Fell asleep on the floor. While I was basically sleeping like the dead, something else was, well..... it was fully awake.  I rolled over and lets just say that the kickstand didn't hold up the bike. 

I should probably stop drinking. Or dancing. Or drinking and dancing

- Underage at a bonfire I dancing was on a chair, naked with only a sock on my junk. I lost my balance and stepped on a broken glass my GB had thrown near the fire and put about a 4 inch gash on the bottom of my foot. Probably should have gone to the ER but we duck taped a maxi pad to it and I continued partying. Football camp later that week wasn't fun.

- Split my chin open doing the worm. Twice

- Partially torn meniscus doing the splits at my sisters wedding

I'm sure there's another random few that I'm forgetting or can't remember.

Recently got a hitch installed on my SUV.  After I picked it up, I reminded myself that I should remove the ball and mount from the receiver when I got home, so that I wouldn't smash my leg into it or back into something. I figured we'd just keep it in the cargo space so it would be handy when we needed to actually tow something.

So I got home, opened the hatch, and noticed something in the cargo area that I wanted to take out and put away.  Picked up whatever it was, turned, took one step and smashed my leg into the hitch that I was getting ready to remove.

:bag:

I should probably stop drinking. Or dancing. Or drinking and dancing

- Underage at a bonfire I dancing was on a chair, naked with only a sock on my junk. I lost my balance and stepped on a broken glass my GB had thrown near the fire and put about a 4 inch gash on the bottom of my foot. Probably should have gone to the ER but we duck taped a maxi pad to it and I continued partying. Football camp later that week wasn't fun.
:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:  

Got out of the shower one day when I was about 12, towel around my waist, and started down the hall to my bedroom.  For some reason I decided to take a running start and jump up at my doorway to slap my hand on the wall above the door.  I apparently didn't realize that I was now 6 feet tall after a summer growth spurt.  I ended up smacking my forehead on the top of the doorframe, knocking myself out.  Mom and a neighbor lady who was visiting both heard the bang and came running, and found me sprawled out on the hardwood hallway floor, on my back, naked as the day I was born, out cold. 

Sophomore year I jumped on my buddy’s back in high school and dismounted awkwardly 

me: I think I broke my ankle

buddy:  it’s probably just a sprain you #####.  Let’s go to lunch

[walk to cafeteria, get lunch feel like I’m gonna barf]

me: hey drive me home, gonna get this checked out [get home call dad]

me: I think I broke my ankle can you take me to ER

Dad: are you sure?  It’ll be a couple ours before I get there

yep sure enough broken my fibula and had to get a plate put in

I think I was about 10. Jumped up on the bathroom cabinet for a sweet air guitar solo under the bright lights above the vanity. Closed out the performance with a leap back to the ground, but forgotten that I had left the drawer open, and upon my descent I managed to make contact with the edge of the drawer at the bottom of my shin bone and it scraped about a one inch wide strip of skin all the way up to my knee. Through the tears and bloodshed, I gritted my teeth, removed the wad of skin dangling from my knee, bandaged myself up and never told my parents. But man, that was probably my best air guitar solo ever. 

I think I was about 10. Jumped up on the bathroom cabinet for a sweet air guitar solo under the bright lights above the vanity. Closed out the performance with a leap back to the ground, but forgotten that I had left the drawer open, and upon my descent I managed to make contact with the edge of the drawer at the bottom of my shin bone and it scraped about a one inch wide strip of skin all the way up to my knee. Through the tears and bloodshed, I gritted my teeth, removed the wad of skin dangling from my knee, bandaged myself up and never told my parents. But man, that was probably my best air guitar solo ever. 
Was probably an air hug. 

I got blackout drunk in Philly - was apparently thrown out of a bar because I kept falling over while dancing in front of the band, I got separated from my buddies, wandering the streets of Philly and passed out falling face first into the sidewalk. Broke my glasses, ripped up my face pretty bad (some stiches under my eye at the hospital the next morning) and was bleeding profusely out of the gash and my nose.

That sobered me up enough to call one of my friends who called his two brothers to pick me up on the street and drive me to the hotel. I refused to go to the hospital that night but the next morning I knew it had to be.

Crushed my big toe in a water fountain at the park when I was 4.  Still have the cracked toenail to help remind me to remove my foot when I finish drinking.

I was playing one on one football against my 8 year old nephew.  I smoked him on the stop and go but the Quarterback gave me a ball that led me a bit too far outside.  I watched the ball into my hands, oblivious to the row of bushes that are soon to befell me.  I stepped on a softball sized rock bordering the bushes, lost my balance, stumbled, and fell over/through the waist-high bushes.  My bruised ribs hurt but my bruised ego hurt much more as I lost control of the ball when I put my hands down trying to break my fall.  

I might need a ruling on which is the most embarrassing

Sliding across the frozed creek in the winter, hit a tree root sticking out, up in the air, landed on head.  Concussion #1

Went down a very long, very steep hill standing up on a skateboard, hit a rock, up in the air, landed on head. Concussion #2

Sat in a car driving for 8 hours, just barely made it to bowling league night, didn't have time to warm up, slipped a disc in my back on first ball, left a 7-10 split.  First and only ambulence ride.

Ex left a hot curling iron hanging from the bed frame, streched out to look cool on said bed frame, scarred for life with 2nd degree burn on wrist.  Made up story to explain scar because its embarrassing.

Got married.  Not sure if its embarrassing, but it sure was painful.

I broke my arm playing touch football. Got touched pretty hard from behind.

That was not the embarrassing part. Asleep a few nights later, the cast pulled me out of bed and I chipped my elbow. The doc was impressed that I managed to break a bone while it was in a cast. :bag:  

Slipped in bathroom when I was little and hit head on toilet just above my left eye. Have scar there that if people ask I tell them old football injury, motorcycle crash, fight, whatever sounds good at the time.

Trying to kick a soccer ball.  Emphasis on trying.  Was after my son's practice - he and I were kicking the ball around so I told him to go to the other end of the field.  Being a moron I wanted to see how far I could kick it.  I pulled my leg back and fast and hard as I could and my foot never reached the ball - on the swing back I popped the iliopsoas (hip muscle) and I kicked the ground as I fell to the earth in agony.  I managed to limp to our car and drive home with my left foot.  Called the wife on the way and told her to get ready to take me to the ER.  The nurse laughed when she asked how I injured myself.  Had to use crutches for a few days and spent 3 months rehabbing it.

:bag: :bag: :bag:  

Back in HS, in health class, they were showing the anti-smoking vids. They were showing a guy with emphysema. Dude had to put so much effort into breathing. Idk. Something got to me in my head and I felt short on breath at my desk. I'm getting lightheaded, so put my head on the desk, and then my teacher says "see him? He feels like he's suffocating."

Next thing I know, I blackout on my desk and slouch over the side and off of it. Back of my head nails the tile floor. Wake up 5 seconds later with my teacher crouched over me asking if I'm okay. Bleeding from back of my head. Nothing overly serious. No ambulance, but I did get out of school early and go to urgent care to get a few staples. No concussion. Funny thing is I remember all the sounds, I just couldn't see. I remember the gasps of the kids behind me and the chairs sliding out of the way under my body weight.

Pretty pathetic all-around.

Broke my shoulder socket sliding into 3rd base down 9 runs in beer league softball

Fractured nose in doubles badminton

Was hot tubbing with a few hot chicks (and a few dudes) at my home.. was wasted.   This was an above the ground tub with wooden stairs leading up to it.

I stepped out of the tub and unbeknownst to me the wood was rotting badly..  i stepped on the step, it collapsed and i fell to the ground and crushed my back..  badly bruised and scraped up, a scar that took a couple years to heal.

Embarassing

I've got a few.  Some of which I was reminded of reading this thread:

1 - Broke the skin being unzipped by my girlfriend (now wife)

2 - Got incredibly drunk during my bachelor party.  Somehow managed to elude my friends and left the bar we were in.  I went to try to find my car to go to sleep in but before I could find it, saw the ground rushing towards me at an incredible rate of speed.  Turns out I fell face first into the concrete as I was focusing on my car keys and got a huge gash and scrape under my eye.  Also, it turns out I didn't drive there so my car was 30 miles away in my driveway.  Later got kicked in the face by a bouncer when I threw up on his shoes.  I was jacked up and the wedding was a week away.  Good thing my wedding photographer had some incredible photoshop skills!

3 - I don't have any memory of this one.  This was relayed to me by my wife the next morning.  Getting out of a hot tub in the winter totally sober.  Steps into the hot tub had gotten water on them and then iced over.  Slipped backwards and smacked the back of my head on the frame of the hot tub.  Ended up in the ER with a bad concussion.

4 - Got stabbed in the leg by a mechanical pencil by the kid who sat in front of me that I wouldn't stop messing with in middle school.  He just whipped his arm behind him and stabbed my leg in the side of my quad muscle.  It went in about 1/4 of an inch and then he just turned back around leaving the pencil sticking out.  He was my friend (still is) so I didn't say anything to the teacher.  Still have that scar.

5 - Decided on a drunken night when I was in the Air Force that I was going to do one of those backflips where you run up the wall.  Almost landed it.  That is until my ankle broke.  Instead of going to the hospital, me and my drunken buddy decided I just needed to ice it.  He helped me get back to my room, we duct taped a bag of ice to my ankle, he left, and I passed out watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  Woke up the next morning and my ankle was incredibly swollen with the duct tape cutting into me.  Had to cut it off and get a ride to the ER.  I was an idiot.

Playing flag football with a father son group. One of the boys was 17 but built like an nfl RB. He caught a ball in the flats. I went to grab is flag but got my hand stuck in the flag belt. He cut when i tried to stop and pull the flag and I hyper extended my knee. That was pretty painful and i was on crutches for a couple weeks. So glad i didn’t tear anything.
Went to the open house on Tuesday for my son's middle school. Was talking to the gym teacher and he said that they had to go from flag football back to two-hand-touch football because there were too many hand/wrist injuries from kids trying to grab the flags. Huh....

Was probably 8 or 9 when I decided it would be a good idea to tighten up the trailer winch as far is it could go. Somehow, the catch slipped and the handle slipped out of my hand, sprung backwards and cracked me along the outer socket of my left eye. Had to get stitches that are still evident today. 

My brother, who is 3-years younger, has an exact copy of that scar along his right eye. That came from me chasing him around the house when I was 11 (he was 8). He slipped on the carpet and cracked the side of his head along the coffee table. 

We're both damn lucky that neither of us had something more serious happen due to how close our injuries were to our eyes.

Got out of the shower one day when I was about 12, towel around my waist, and started down the hall to my bedroom.  For some reason I decided to take a running start and jump up at my doorway to slap my hand on the wall above the door.  I apparently didn't realize that I was now 6 feet tall after a summer growth spurt.  I ended up smacking my forehead on the top of the doorframe, knocking myself out.  Mom and a neighbor lady who was visiting both heard the bang and came running, and found me sprawled out on the hardwood hallway floor, on my back, naked as the day I was born, out cold. 
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Broke my arm in three places falling of a curb.

About 8, we were playing Hide and Seek. The guy saw me and was racing to base. I misjudged the curb and Bam!

Only thing hurt was my pride... walked two steps into freshly-laid concrete walking to 3rd (maybe 4th) grade with my two buddies.  They just started laughing at me and I had no idea why. 

I had to turn around, go home with concrete on my shoes and bottom of my pants and explain to my mom what a dumbazz I was.   

If my son posted here, his would be this:

A couple of years ago we were at some friends' house and they had a lifesize cutout of Justin Bieber in their play room. My son hated the Biebs, so he decided he would perform a form tackle on said cardboard cutout. His momentum carried him all the way through it and into the wall behind it, When he made contact with the wall, it jarred a framed picture off the wall, which fell and caught him right above the right eye.  My buddy and I are in the living room watching football when we heard the crash and breaking glass, then my son comes around the corner as white as a sheet and with blood pouring from his eyebrow all the way down his face. I couldn't even see his eye there is so much blood. I think to myself "oh #### this is really bad" but I get him to the bathroom and get the blood cleaned off and thank goodness it was just a little flesh wound right below his eyebrow. Half an inch lower and he might have lost an eye.  It healed quickly, but he has a hell of a scar right below his eyebrow. And we never let him forget it was from tackling a Justin Bieber cardboard cutout.  :own3d:

Back in HS, in health class, they were showing the anti-smoking vids. They were showing a guy with emphysema. Dude had to put so much effort into breathing. Idk. Something got to me in my head and I felt short on breath at my desk. I'm getting lightheaded, so put my head on the desk, and then my teacher says "see him? He feels like he's suffocating."

Next thing I know, I blackout on my desk and slouch over the side and off of it. Back of my head nails the tile floor. Wake up 5 seconds later with my teacher crouched over me asking if I'm okay. Bleeding from back of my head. Nothing overly serious. No ambulance, but I did get out of school early and go to urgent care to get a few staples. No concussion. Funny thing is I remember all the sounds, I just couldn't see. I remember the gasps of the kids behind me and the chairs sliding out of the way under my body weight.

:lol: that is awesome 

ER Nurse: What happened?

Shamrock: Emphysema video 

:lmao:  

When my kids were little, I accompanied my son and one of his friends to a restaurant restroom.  He must have been four at the time.   I bent over to help them get hitched back up and somehow managed to snag my ### on a trashcan.  I ended up getting 14 stitches on my right butt cheek.

First grade - going down the big metal sliding board head first.  Split my upper lip wide open on the rail of the sliding board. Bleed all over my teachers coat.  Trip to the ER for stitches.

Sixth grade - at the urging of my older brother trying to do tricks while jumping on my bed.  Jumped to far while trying to do a twist and face planted the bridge of my nose on the sharp edge of the headboard.  Busted myself wide open.  First and only ambulance ride to the hospital.  20 stitches and a concussion.  Supposedly my bed/room looked like a murder sceen.  I don’t know, I never saw it.  I barely remember the ambulance ride.

I have a non-injury version of this.  In I think 7th grade, we went from the all-in-one desk/chair combo to a 2-person desk and chairs like this.  In one class, I had a wall directly to one side, so I would play the "cool kid" and lean the chair back on 2 legs with my back on the wall.  Got the back legs past vertical one day and the whole thing went right out from under me. I don't think anything but my ego was damaged.

Users who are viewing this thread