What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Excessively hot basement (1 Viewer)

Spike

Footballguy
Do any of you suffer from this?

My basement through much of the summer is really hot. This summer has been the worst. In the hottest times, it averages 85/86/87 degrees. 

We do have a fairly new dehumidifier that runs and keeps the moisture level at 50%. 

We have had our furnace checked out and it is not that either. 

The house was built in 1999. It is in southeastern Mass  

Any thoughts?

Below ground should be a more moderate temperature without much extreme.  Something has to be kicking out the heat.  Secondly I question the air circulation as the warmer air should rise up and disperse to the floors above.  I know in my house, when we have the climate adjusted for the 1st floor to be comfortable, then my basement is cool and my 2 floor is warm. 

Yeah, it is strange for your basement to be hot, it should be a lot more moderate in temperature.  Do you have a lot of windows?  Are your utilities in a separate space or is it all open?

When my basement gets warm it's due to a combination of electronics giving off heat....Dehumidifier, Plasma TV, Stereo Receiver, etc.

when's the last time you changed your air filter?

are all your ducts properly sealed? is there something blocking one or more of them?

Some answers:

Dehumidifier does run more in the summer as there is more heat/humidity in the basement. Runs most of the day. 

Air filter on it gets cleared routinely when clean filter light goes on. 

No, not on active volcano or uranium deposit. 

Separate heating zone in cellar. Heat in cellar off from May-October. 

No dead bodies. 

No A/C in cellar of first floor, just top floor (bedrooms). 

Are there companies that that can come in and assess this sort of thing?  I have not found any. 

Southeast Massachusetts you say?  You don't by chance use TB12's personal trainer?  That would explain a lot.

I would turn off your dehumidifier for a day to confirm/eliminate that as the heat source.

I would do the same thing  if there are other appliances before calling anyone. 

once lived in an apartment where a homeless guy took up residence in the basement

maybe there's a hobo living down there and he likes a nice bonfire at night?
its probably this it happens all the time if you see any sticks with a v at the end that is what he is using to roast wieners over a fire and if you see any cans with jagged lids still attached that is where he opened them with a jacknife and they were probably beans basically wieners and beans are the food of the hobo but the good news is that he will be off riding the rails to some other locale as he roams the world and you will have a cool basement again in no time take that to the bank brochacho 

Cheesy McGee said:
Do this.  

I have a finished basement that's almost completely below grade (small windows high on the walls).  I run a dehumidifier pretty much all the time, have a very large home theater system with rack-mounted electronics, and have both my furnace/AC units down there.  I also leave the door to upstairs closed.  Should be a worst-case scenario for heat, and it's NEVER hot down there in the summer.  

Something's either running REALLY hot, or leaking heat from another area.  The laser thermometer will at least allow you to figure out which wall the heat may be coming from.  

Do this.  

I have a finished basement that's almost completely below grade (small windows high on the walls).  I run a dehumidifier pretty much all the time, have a very large home theater system with rack-mounted electronics, and have both my furnace/AC units down there.  I also leave the door to upstairs closed.  Should be a worst-case scenario for heat, and it's NEVER hot down there in the summer.  

Something's either running REALLY hot, or leaking heat from another area.  The laser thermometer will at least allow you to figure out which wall the heat may be coming from.  
It's coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE!

Some obvious things 

typically there are other similar houses in neighborhood. Ask those people what their experience is

you must have a “handy” buddy. Buy a 6 pack and invite him over and get his opinion

if you were closer to Boston I would offer to take a look 

Do this.  

Ordered the thermometer gun. Will report back. Desperate. 

Some obvious things 

typically there are other similar houses in neighborhood. Ask those people what their experience is

you must have a “handy” buddy. Buy a 6 pack and invite him over and get his opinion

if you were closer to Boston I would offer to take a look 
Good ideas. 

Appreciate the thought but am about an hour to Boston if no traffic. 

There is never no traffic. 

Has to be an air flow problem.  Is something wrong with your furnace or perhaps even your ductwork?  

How old is your house?

Users who are viewing this thread