What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Excessively hot basement (1 Viewer)

you know what dont listen to these high falutein wicker chair know it alls you go down there and you turn that dehumiderfyer up as high as it will go and tell these guys to suck a lemon take that to the bank brohan 

Chemical X said:
it’s the effin humidifier you chode.  not the heat it is putting out, as it removes moisture, the heat in the room will increase to match outside temps, in order to minimize humidity.  simply astrohydraulic physics.  it’s like when a banana turns brown or honey stops coagulating.
I know plenty of people who have dehumidifiers running. They don’t have this issue. 

#### off. You don’t know what you are talking about. 
well, I don't have a perpetually running dehumidifier in my lava entrenched basement.  so there's that.

"Failing Sad Sack Spike doesn't have the guts to turn off his dehumidifier and blames everyone but himself for his failures.  A lot of people of are really upset about this, believe me, SAD" 

I run a dehumidifier pretty much all summer (though it is set to 45%) and our basement is much cooler than rest of the house. 
As do I, set to the same setting.  Which means it's not running constantly, maybe just 1/3rd to 1/4 of the time.  I empty 2-3 gallons out of it every 2-3 days.  It's a finished basement, though, with an air return and 4 ducts - not what this guy has. 

This seems to be a ridiculous amount of heat.

Chemical X said:
it’s the effin humidifier you chode.  not the heat it is putting out, as it removes moisture, the heat in the room will increase to match outside temps, in order to minimize humidity.  simply astrohydraulic physics.  it’s like when a banana turns brown or honey stops coagulating.
So his basement will be 32 degrees if he runs the dehumidifier all winter?

So his basement will be 32 degrees if he runs the dehumidifier all winter?
the inside temperature can and will be higher.  it needs to match or exceed. 

this is from a function description;

However, instead of the cooling action being directed into a closed box, a dehumidifier is designed to blow warm moist room air over these cold coils. The moisture in the room air condenses on the coils to become liquid water. The water then drips into a drip collection pan, or to a drain. The room air, now freed of much of its moisture, returns to the room slightly warmer than it was.

slightly is relevant, depending on how much its being used, size of equipment, etc.

UPDATE;  OP has sent me a PM requesting I not participate in this thread any longer.  I thought he was kidding, apparently not.

However, instead of the cooling action being directed into a closed box, a dehumidifier is designed to blow warm moist room air over these cold coils. The moisture in the room air condenses on the coils to become liquid water. The water then drips into a drip collection pan, or to a drain. The room air, now freed of much of its moisture, returns to the room slightly warmer than it was.

slightly is relevant, depending on how much its being used, size of equipment, etc.

UPDATE;  OP has sent me a PM requesting I not participate in this thread any longer.  I thought he was kidding, apparently not.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

i ran a hose from my dehumifieyer to the sump crock with a nice little fitting through the side and then i do not have to empty the bucket ever that is pretty sweet livin right there brohans take that to the bank brochachos

:lmao:    This is amazing.

Whoever thinks it's the dehumidifier doesn't know what the #### they're talking about.  
Gotta agree here - dehumidifier will warm the air, but not that much.  Again, at points, I've had my humidifer running on constant on for weeks ( Like SWC, I also have the "sweet livin" with the hose from my "dehumifieyer" to the sump so I never have to empty the thing) and it never got hot down there...unless you have some kind of industrial size dehumidifier designed for a MUCH larger space, it's not going to get it that hot down there.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
fat nick and swc living the high life while you suckas are working for your wicker chairs take that to the bank bromigos 

I know plenty of people who have dehumidifiers running. They don’t have this issue. 
You might just want to try this and see if it is the issue.  A dehumidifier being off for a couple of days won't create an issue.

Really?  Wow

ghostguy123 said:
Go stand next to the dehumidifier.  Is it REALLY hot standing next to it??  If not, well, it's not the dehumidifier. 

If it is, get rid of that thing cause it's about to explode and burn the house down because it is terribly malfunctioning.  
Nope, not that. 

It may be the furnace. Having our furnace guy over again. 

Still going with my original post......dryer vent. My dryer vent has come off once or twice over the years and it was like a rain forest in my basement.
No, not that. Visibly able to see the connection from where the hose comes out of the dryer and where it goes out of the house. 

No, not that. Visibly able to see the connection from where the hose comes out of the dryer and where it goes out of the house. 
Spike, not to beat a dead horse here, but it doesn't take much. Even if just a little is escaping it makes a huge difference.

Just trying to help. I've got nothing else if it isn't that. 

Good luck

How would it be that unless you're actually running your furnace.....in the Summer?
Agreed. even if the furnace is acting funky, the fan (assuming that he has central A/C) would be pushing that heat to the whole house, not the basement. 

Run the dryer and go down and put your hand up to the vent tube to make sure there are no holes in it (if there are you would probably feel a warm breeze).  Some of those vent tubes are chincy and can get cut open pretty easily.

This is one of the most bizarre threads in history. Dehumidifiers creating scalding hot basements, furnaces running hot water....geesh
Maybe he has a boiler system. If that's the case, he may be getting residual heat when the water heater is rolling. Coupled with the dryer being down there, that basement would heat up quick. 

So what we need to know is:

1. Do you have a traditional gas furnace or a boiler?

2. Do you have AC in the house? Where is the ductwork for the AC?

3. How many loads of laundry a day do you do?

Edit to add: personally I think this thread is one useless BS fishing trip. The op can text photos to someone but cannot load them up on a free image deal so we can actually help him? Come on, man. There are basically a couple logical answers, people here have tried to help, and no indication from the OP that he has tried the suggestions. So I guess thanks for entertaining us all for a few days. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe he has a boiler system. If that's the case, he may be getting residual heat when the water heater is rolling. Coupled with the dryer being down there, that basement would heat up quick. 
My brother has his boiler heating his water. It's in his utility room and it can get hotter than hell in there if, say, two or three people take showers in a short period of time - especially this time of year. He lives by himself, so it happens rarely.

Jesus, it's not the ####### dryer vent.  Is he drying clothes 23 hours a day with the vent whipping around and all the heat coming out?  

It's a damn 85 degree basement.  I can't get my basement that warm with my damn fireplace.  

Jesus, it's not the ####### dryer vent.  Is he drying clothes 23 hours a day with the vent whipping around and all the heat coming out?  

It's a damn 85 degree basement.  I can't get my basement that warm with my damn fireplace.  
Please start a thread asking why your fireplace isn't heating enough 

Fireplaces are terrible at heating rooms.

What you want is a dehumidifier or dryer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoever thinks it's the dehumidifier doesn't know what the #### they're talking about.  
Yea, in my old house I ran it 24/7 had a hose running out of it to drain so I wouldn't have to dump the bucket out. My basement was always way cooler. The small humidifier isn't going to heat the basement that much, no way.

Users who are viewing this thread