What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Excessively hot basement (2 Viewers)

Some answers:

Dehumidifier does run more in the summer as there is more heat/humidity in the basement. Runs most of the day. 

Air filter on it gets cleared routinely when clean filter light goes on. 

No, not on active volcano or uranium deposit. 

Separate heating zone in cellar. Heat in cellar off from May-October. 

No dead bodies. 

No A/C in cellar of first floor, just top floor (bedrooms). 

Are there companies that that can come in and assess this sort of thing?  I have not found any. 
Pretty sure this is the only logical answer. I'm no expert but I have radiant heat in my shop.

Forced hot water system constantly circulates warm water and has zones controlled by valves that open and close electronically.

System says that the basement zone is "off" but the valve is likely stuck open. System doesn't know the valve is stuck open.

Valve might be stuck or it is not getting a signal to close due to a faulty wire or controller.

Edit to add: personally I think this thread is one useless BS fishing trip. The op can text photos to someone but cannot load them up on a free image deal so we can actually help him? Come on, man. There are basically a couple logical answers, people here have tried to help, and no indication from the OP that he has tried the suggestions. So I guess thanks for entertaining us all for a few days. 
Because I do not have images loaded somewhere I can link them to here this is all a fishing trip?

Interesting. 

Ask Shuke if you feel the need to check. 

Pretty sure this is the only logical answer. I'm no expert but I have radiant heat in my shop.

Forced hot water system constantly circulates warm water and has zones controlled by valves that open and close electronically.

System says that the basement zone is "off" but the valve is likely stuck open. System doesn't know the valve is stuck open.

Valve might be stuck or it is not getting a signal to close due to a faulty wire or controller.
Friend thought he shut his thermostat off too. Got a huge gas bill in July and realized his AC and heating systems were fighting each other.

this guy REALLY wants to see basement photos .... fetish?

It's a basement ...  not sure what you expect to see to solve the mystery.

"Oh, now I see ... I bet it's that kerosene space heater that is glowing red over there in the corner"
Bring out the gimp!

this guy REALLY wants to see basement photos .... fetish?

It's a basement ...  not sure what you expect to see to solve the mystery.

"Oh, now I see ... I bet it's that kerosene space heater that is glowing red over there in the corner"
I havent said one work about pictures.  Pictures wont help anyway.

Maybe he has a boiler system. If that's the case, he may be getting residual heat when the water heater is rolling. Coupled with the dryer being down there, that basement would heat up quick. 

So what we need to know is:

1. Do you have a traditional gas furnace or a boiler?

2. Do you have AC in the house? Where is the ductwork for the AC?

3. How many loads of laundry a day do you do?

Edit to add: personally I think this thread is one useless BS fishing trip. The op can text photos to someone but cannot load them up on a free image deal so we can actually help him? Come on, man. There are basically a couple logical answers, people here have tried to help, and no indication from the OP that he has tried the suggestions. So I guess thanks for entertaining us all for a few days. 
Sorry Ghost ... seems this was the guy smelling fish bait because there were no photos.

Seems he needs evidence that this basement actually exists or this whole thing is phoey. 

Sorry Ghost ... seems this was the guy smelling fish bait because there were no photos.

Seems he needs evidence that this basement actually exists or this whole thing is phoey. 
I smell fish bait cause nobody is this clueless.  

Walk the perimeter of the basement.  Feel around the floor/ceiling/walls.  This should all take 5-10 minutes.  If you do not feel any major source of heat pumping out of somewhere, then like I said, call a geologist cause something bad is goin on under the floor.  

What should I do for fun this week? Ah I know, I'll set up an elaborate thread on footballguys about how my basement is always 85 degrees!

Is this the FFA's new version of a Who's Hottest thread?

1.  Dehumidifier 
2.  Space Heater
3.  Furnace
4.  Dryer Vent (clogged with smoldering fire in the vent)
5.  Underground Lava Flow
6.  The dog is in heat
7.  Plasma TV
8.  The body heat of the 75 women Spike has chained in his basement. (pics?)

Is this the FFA's new version of a Who's Hottest thread?

1.  Dehumidifier 
2.  Space Heater
3.  Furnace
4.  Dryer Vent (clogged with smoldering fire in the vent)
5.  Underground Lava Flow
6.  The dog is in heat
7.  Plasma TV
8.  The body heat of the 75 women Spike has chained in his basement. (pics?)
You forgot gateway to hell

Sooo.... Do they reveal anything?  Enquiring minds want to know!
Only peculiar thing I see is that his basement ceiling is insulated from the ground floor.

Picture of washer and dryer but I don't actually see a dryer vent leading up and outside.  Maybe it was cutoff in the pic?

There is something that looks like a huge bbq smoker, but it might be the furnace?

Hardware and tools seem to be nicely organized.

Looks like he has a large clear tote containing scraps of paper?

Wife's bra size looks to be about a 34C.

Only peculiar thing I see is that his basement ceiling is insulated from the ground floor.

Picture of washer and dryer but I don't actually see a dryer vent leading up and outside.  Maybe it was cutoff in the pic?

There is something that looks like a huge bbq smoker, but it might be the furnace?

BINGO!  If the OP is smoking meats in his basement, that just may account for the warm temperatures.

Maybe he has a boiler system. If that's the case, he may be getting residual heat when the water heater is rolling. Coupled with the dryer being down there, that basement would heat up quick. 

So what we need to know is:

1. Do you have a traditional gas furnace or a boiler?

2. Do you have AC in the house? Where is the ductwork for the AC?

3. How many loads of laundry a day do you do?

Bossman said:

These make sense to me. OP just hasn't been that clear - some could take it as fishing, but I'm sure it's just that he's not familiar or comfortable with this stuff.  

By what he's said, I gather that it's a boiler and not a furnace (no ducts, it's on even in the summer for the water heater, etc). He doesn't have central AC (no AC in basement or first floor) but probably has window units in the upstairs bedrooms. 

What's throwing me is that he's had the "furnace" checked out and it didn't seem to be that. Spike, did you have it checked in the summer specifically for this problem, or was it a routine check during a cooler time?  Seems like the malfunctioning valve possibility Bossman brought up would be pretty easy to find when diagnosing this issue, but might not be so obvious in a routine checkup.

In the meantime, I'd try feeling the pipes coming out of the boiler for the different zones.  Does the one for the basement feel warmer than the others?

This guy has some pretty basic videos on boiler systems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8f_SBQTMtw

By what he's said, I gather that it's a boiler and not a furnace (no ducts, it's on even in the summer for the water heater, etc). He doesn't have central AC (no AC in basement or first floor) but probably has window units in the upstairs bedrooms. 

What's throwing me is that he's had the "furnace" checked out and it didn't seem to be that. Spike, did you have it checked in the summer specifically for this problem, or was it a routine check during a cooler time?  Seems like the malfunctioning valve possibility Bossman brought up would be pretty easy to find when diagnosing this issue, but might not be so obvious in a routine checkup.
If he's running a lot of hot water (laundry, dishes, showers/baths), there doesn't have to be anything wrong with the boiler. As I posted upthread, my brother has this set up and when he has people staying there that thing throws off a ton of heat.

@Spike, has it been like this each summer you've lived there with whatever amount of hot water use you have now?

ghostguy123 said:
I smell fish bait cause nobody is this clueless.  

Walk the perimeter of the basement.  Feel around the floor/ceiling/walls.  This should all take 5-10 minutes.  If you do not feel any major source of heat pumping out of somewhere, then like I said, call a geologist cause something bad is goin on under the floor.  
Done this. Nothing. 

Thermostat for zone in basement is off. 

Dehumidifier runs about 5 hours a day. 

Energy efficient freezer shows outside surface temperature of 76 degrees. 

Dryer vent is properly attached. 

What next, Einstein?

shuke said:

Yes

Yes, dryer vent was just off to the right.

Yes, that is the furnace.

Thanks.  Got the storage racks from work.

The totes have kindling in them.

Yep.

Done this. Nothing. 

Thermostat for zone in basement is off. 

Dehumidifier runs about 5 hours a day. 

Energy efficient freezer shows outside surface temperature of 76 degrees. 

Dryer vent is properly attached. 

What next, Einstein?
Turn EVERYTHING off.  I mean everything.

If basement still warmer than upstairs in a day, then call the city.

These make sense to me. OP just hasn't been that clear - some could take it as fishing, but I'm sure it's just that he's not familiar or comfortable with this stuff.  

In the meantime, I'd try feeling the pipes coming out of the boiler for the different zones.  Does the one for the basement feel warmer than the others?

This guy has some pretty basic videos on boiler systems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8f_SBQTMtw
Correct, no central A/C. Have window unit for first floor but never installed it this year.  Have window units in second floor bedrooms. 

Had furnace checked out last summer for the same problem. Furnace guy, who we have had for about ten years, said it is not the furnace. Had no other ideas for us to pursue at that time. 

Not sure about checking the bolder part. Not knowledgeable about heating systems, which is sort of the crux of this thread. 

Thanks for the vids. Will check them out to try to educate myself about them. 

Did you point it at yourself?  That’s what I would have done first
Yes. Parts of the furnace showed quite hot - the front plate about 104, the front side 96 and the right side 94. Hot water heater 86. 

Yes, I have a call in to the furnace guy. 

So the day you posted this and all the days up till now you didnt notice how hot the furnace was?
Just got the thermometer gun.  Furnace guy had checked this and said it wasn't the problem.

Maybe it's a mistake but I tend to let the pros do their thing and I then listen to them.  It's why I bring them in in the first place.

Still not certain here

Your hot water heater is heated via the furnace?
Somebody else already mentioned this, but it sounds to me like he's got a boiler that provides radiant heat and the hot water to the house. The thermostat is off, but he's probably got a zone valve stuck open. I had a stuck valve for my upstairs zone last winter and it was 78 degrees in the bedrooms, even with the thermostat off. 

OP, can you post or PM a picture of your "furnace"? Also, does your heat come through vents in the floor/wall or does it look like this https://goo.gl/images/muyzLD

Had furnace checked out last summer for the same problem. Furnace guy, who we have had for about ten years, said it is not the furnace. Had no other ideas for us to pursue at that time. 
When you said you called the furnace guy I hope you meant NEW furnace guy. If old furnace guy had no other ideas you’re done with him.

These people are problem solvers and even if it was outside of his line of work, if he knew what he was doing, he would’ve either solved it or pointed you to the person or service company who would. 

Users who are viewing this thread