What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Europe N00B 2 week tour: Boots on the ground, but NO BIER FOR YOU UNTIL NOON! :nobannned: (1 Viewer)

[icon]

Insoxicated
Work Trip end OCT > Early NOV.

Amsterdam. 2D/2N of work. Likely flying in a couple days early to explore the city over the weekend beforehand. 

Heidelberg GER 2D/1N - riding in from Amsterdam with boss and coworker. Afternoon/morning of meetings, then flying out to the UK. 

Nottingham UK 2D/2N - couple days of meetings. Director heading back go Netherlands so may loosen up a bit at night. Likely staying for a couple/few extra days/nights in the UK to explore with coworker (buddy’s Asianed wife / good friend of mine) 

Guessing things Will be relatively subdued when with the boss, and more laid back when he departs after Germany. 

Looks like Amsterdam is very affordable with the strong dollar. Uber abundant. AirBNB options abound. Looking for suggestions on enjoying the city. I’m aware of coffeeshops (not a huge smoker but will likely indulge one afternoon), not big on hookers but will prob wander The redlight a bit. Tell me about the city as an American... do’s and dont’s, etc. 

I understand Nottingham to be rather quaint.. and guessing I’ll want to skip town after a couple days meetings. I know London is crazy expensive... Manchester Untd hosts Newcastle that night but doubt I can convince the lady to attend the match. Suggestions on cities that aren’t too hard to get to from Nottingham and are reasonable to fly out of? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Suggestions on cities that aren’t too hard to get to from Nottingham and are reasonable to fly out of? 
Not too many fantastic options.  You could try Birmingham.
The East Midlands are off the beaten track for tourists.  Manchester would put you close to Liverpool. 

If you go in the other direction, Stratford-upon-Avon isn't too far from Birmingham.  I think Manchester would offer more options for a return flight to the US.

Typical stuff, it is best if you wear a T-shirt with an American flag on it so they know where you are from. Not sure how warm it will be that time of year but ideally cut the sleeves off the T-shirt. Complain loudly everytime someone doesn’t speak with English. Since you are going during the NFL season ask where you can watch the games and make sure you tell them you are not talking about futbol because that crap is really soccer. Complain about the food and wonder aloud why people don’t shower every day.

You will have a blast, enjoy!

Amsterdam -- google "casa rosso". Also there's a large Indonesian presence there, so some very good restaurants should you want something different.

Nottingham -- never been there but if you go to a pub in the UK ask for something called "bitter" -- it's a lukewarm temperature beer, which may not sound good but actually is very good.

Watch out for pickpockets 
Valid point, but thankfully as a Memphis Guy, my awareness level on #### like that is very very high. 

The East Midlands are off the beaten track for tourists.  Manchester would put you close to Liverpool. 

If you go in the other direction, Stratford-upon-Avon isn't too far from Birmingham.  I think Manchester would offer more options for a return flight to the US.
This sounds very cool but While I’ve travelled a good bit the UK/EU is virgin territory for me so I’m good with sticking to the basics... especially when factoring in limited time there... just kinda trying to decide if Nottingham is worth the hang from a pub/dining perspective, or if we should slide over a city or two since we’ll have been there a couple days already. 

Amsterdam -- google "casa rosso". Also there's a large Indonesian presence there, so some very good restaurants should you want something different.

Nottingham -- never been there but if you go to a pub in the UK ask for something called "bitter" -- it's a lukewarm temperature beer, which may not sound good but actually is very good.
Noted on casa Rosso. I’m a huge fan of SE Asian cuisine. While I generally try to stick to local cuisine on the first visit or three, I’ve heard Netherlands is one of the EU places it might not hurt to deviate. 

Big fan of bitters/saison style beers. I don’t mind room temperature dark beer and drink my whiskey neat already so I’m good on that front. Good suggestion though thank you :)  

A lot of what I read is about many of the Dutch being cashless and not accepting visa or Amex.... and focusing on maestro? I’m a little uneasy about this idea as I prefer to use a card when traveling to minimize cash on hand and conversion headaches.... 

At the same time I know Amsterdam is flooded with UK/US tourists so clearly paying for #### isn’t exactly the Oregon trail... what’s the best course of action here? 

A lot of what I read is about many of the Dutch being cashless and not accepting visa or Amex.... and focusing on maestro? I’m a little uneasy about this idea as I prefer to use a card when traveling to minimize cash on hand and conversion headaches.... 

At the same time I know Amsterdam is flooded with UK/US tourists so clearly paying for #### isn’t exactly the Oregon trail... what’s the best course of action here? 
Barter 

This sounds very cool but While I’ve travelled a good bit the UK/EU is virgin territory for me so I’m good with sticking to the basics... especially when factoring in limited time there... just kinda trying to decide if Nottingham is worth the hang from a pub/dining perspective, or if we should slide over a city or two since we’ll have been there a couple days already. 
Transport in England hubs out of London.  If it's all virgin territory, it's probably just as easy to pop down to London and fly out of LHR

If you want to eat at a halfway decent restaurant, make a reservation.  My best restaurant experience I had in Amsterdam was at Restaurant d'Vijff Vlieghen, which translates into Five Flies.  Is located in a super cool building which takes you back to the 1600s.  Really superb service and good food.   

If you are into art, Rijks and Van Gogh are a must.   Of course there is Ann Franks house, but you need to buy tickets at least a month a head of time.   They only sell online.  There are two types of tickets.  One that are posted three months ahead and another which get posted one month ahead of time.  They can sell out in a few days.  

There are a few good brewries to try.  Stroll thru the red light district.  Then there are the 'coffee' shops, if that is your thing.  There are some good walking tours.   One thing, you have to pay attention when you are walking.   If you don't get hit by a car, train or bus, then a bike will get you.   

interesting that you're going to Heidelberg.  Probably one of the most underrated cities in Germany with the University, some great historical sites, some good military history (our guys still there), and the Neckar River.  Nice choice.  :thumbup:

interesting that you're going to Heidelberg.  Probably one of the most underrated cities in Germany with the University, some great historical sites, some good military history (our guys still there), and the Neckar River.  Nice choice.  :thumbup:
Thx GB, not really a choice there. This is all work dictated, but I just took some notes. ?? Sadly it’s the one spot I won’t be able to skip in some extra time. 

Watch out for pickpockets 
No joke here.  In the last 2 years I’ve had at least four people I know get totally jacked in Europe (mostly Italy) because they were cavalier about this.

Do NOT put your valuable stuff in a backpack or pocket or purse.  No zipper or snap or lock will deter them.

Not kidding here:  put your ID, passport, money, travelers checks etc in something that you can shove down the front of your pants. *

Laugh if you want to but everything else is fair game.  

Get something like this https://goo.gl/images/RHpFG3 And always keep it tucked down, in your pants, just below your belt buckle. 

Keep in mind that in many countries and tourist heavy areas pickpockets are not only expected but considered “normal”.  Some goon in Rome tries to dip into your fanny pack and you accost them don’t expect support even from the cops. 

*same thing applies to your wife/gf.  Seriously.

I'm pretty sure most US Credit Cards have chips now.....but in case yours don't, put in a request with your company ASAP to switch you out.  You need to have them in Europe

No joke here.  In the last 2 years I’ve had at least four people I know get totally jacked in Europe (mostly Italy) because they were cavalier about this.

Do NOT put your valuable stuff in a backpack or pocket or purse.  No zipper or snap or lock will deter them.

Not kidding here:  put your ID, passport, money, travelers checks etc in something that you can shove down the front of your pants. *

Get something like this https://goo.gl/images/RHpFG3 And always keep it tucked down, in your pants, just below your belt buckle. 

Keep in mind that in many countries and tourist heavy areas pickpockets are not only expected but considered “normal”.  Some goon in Rome tries to dip into your fanny pack and you accost them don’t expect support even from the cops. 

I use this for vegas when I carry a lot of cash.  Can't even feel it on you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018RGQBZ6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm pretty sure most US Credit Cards have chips now.....but in case yours don't, put in a request with your company ASAP to switch you out.  You need to have them in Europe
Yeah my cards are chipped. :thumbup:  

Doing more reading it appears that the Maestro-only economy has died out and American Visa/Amex work as long as they are Chipped. All my cards are chipped so that works out.  Thx!

Why don’t the cops help in that situation?

Why don’t the cops help in that situation?
They really don't consider pick pocketing a serious crime.  It is almost considered an honest profession in some European hot spots.   It is 100 percent on you to protect your valuables and to do it in a way without physical assault.  

Update... 

Trip has been shuffled around and expanded a bit. 

Flying into Frankfurt solo Friday. Coworker / friend / buddys wife joining me Sunday night or Monday and we will head down go Heidelberg for meetings tue/wed. 

Riding with boss to Amsterdam and meetings Thurs/Fri then hanging in Amsterdam till Sunday Pm then flying out to Nottingham. 

Meetings Main/Tues and maybe early Wed in Nottingham/Birmingham then flying back Thursday. 

NOW: 

Tell me about Frankfurt, please. Hotels look shockingly affordable ($70-100/nt for 4-5 star places). 

Looking for a fun walkable area with solid bar/entertainment/dining options. Not huge on big nightclubs.  Looking at Sachsenhausen (bar district) just across the Main, and Bockenheim near the university. Other areas you suggest? Military buddies who frequent Germany tell me the cities have been somewhat inundated with Muslim immigrants.

Places to go? #### to do? Areas to wander? I’ll havd 2-3 days to kill. Not looking to blow a ####load of money but don’t mind splurging for a meal or two.

Very comfortable dining/drinking solo and invariably meet folks / make friends, assuming that’s part of the culture there (not very standoffish). 

— 

Looking forward to a couple nights in Amsterdam as well. Welcome tips on that too. Will have friend/coworker with me for that city and the UK. 

UPDATED ITINERARY 

had to move some things around to meet various schedules. Then, I found that it’s a comical $26 to fly to Dublin from Nottingham. :lol:  So now I’m finishing off the trip in Dublin.

I looked and it appears flying Biz class on company proposed agenda is $8k, but extending the trip to give me 2d/2n in Frankfurt up front and 3d3n in Dublin on the back actually SAVES my company $2k (costs $6k)... so it will be approved. 

AGENDA: 

2d2n fun Frankfurt GER (Stay in Sachenhausen?)

1.5d/2n work Heidelberg GER (stay near old town?)

1.5d/2n work Barendrecht NED 

2d/2n fun Amsterdam NED 

2d/2n work Nottingham UK

3d/3n fun Dublin IRE 

ALSO: looks like the GF is flying into Amsterdam sat AM to meet us and will stay thru Dublin, flying home at the same time. 

ANY advice (food/bars/lodging/todo) on any of the cities above would be Greatly appreciated :banned:  

In Heidelberg, go to the university, find the fencing clubs, pick a fight/duel - report back ;)

I cannot help you with Frankfurt save that the airport is atrocious and I have never heard anything good said about the city.

In Amsterdam airbnb a houseboat - I did that last summer with my daughters and it was really cool. Avoid the canal boats - boring. My dad liked the Heineken museum, but he's not into real beer anyway.

Dublin seems quaint, like a suburb to London (tell people that in pubs and hilarity will ensue). There will be Irish dancing in the pubs, and Guinness.

In Oct/Nov you'll have lots of rain. Be prepared.

Oh, and found this in the official tourism site for Netherlands:

“Barendrecht” comes from the German word “birni,” meaning “muddy” or “mud” and the Latin word “traiectum,” meaning “to cross (a river).” Combined, it means “muddy river crossing.”
Sounds like a joy...

Tourist guide to Barendrecht

Just saw this. If Frankfurt is anything like it was 25 years ago (probably isn't) but check out Sachsenhausen area. It's a pedestrian only part of the city, loaded with bars, clubs and restaurants. Lots of cool architecture and old churches in the area, too. Have fun.

Just saw this. If Frankfurt is anything like it was 25 years ago (probably isn't) but check out Sachsenhausen area. It's a pedestrian only part of the city, loaded with bars, clubs and restaurants. Lots of cool architecture and old churches in the area, too. Have fun.
This is absolutely on the agenda. Already have a couple Doner Kebab and Apfelwein spots picked out and am planning on hitting up. Thanks! 

You ABSOLUTELY have my attention... best way to get tickets? 
Check with your hotel concierge. You may be able to get tickets online, or just show up and scalp. I’d want to speak with a local. Bayern Munich is going to be a big draw so it’s a huge day in Mainz.  Frankfurt has a club in the top German league, but they are playing at Nuremberg on Sunday.  If nothing else, I would try to get to a second Bundesliga game, which is still going to be a pretty big deal and a worthwhile experience.  

Check with your hotel concierge. You may be able to get tickets online, or just show up and scalp. I’d want to speak with a local. Bayern Munich is going to be a big draw so it’s a huge day in Mainz.  Frankfurt has a club in the top German league, but they are playing at Nuremberg on Sunday.  If nothing else, I would try to get to a second Bundesliga game, which is still going to be a pretty big deal and a worthwhile experience.  
Sounds good. I’m looking into trains between Frankfurt and Mainz near the stadium but google/Apple maps isn’t much help and the city rail map I downloaded isn’t either.

Wish there was a good regional sBahn app that was easy to use. 

Scalping has never seemed prominent anywhere I've been to in Europe.  Hotel concierge is a good idea.  Something like this as a last resort:  https://www.viagogo.com/Sports-Tickets/International-Soccer/Bundesliga/1-FSV-Mainz-05-Tickets/E-2879164?qty=1

Ill give the concierge a shot. Good suggestions guys, thank you. Just called them and told them to email me if they find anything reasonable/good. 

Staying at a “5 Star” place (Fleming’s Riverfront) so presumably they should be able to pull something like that off, but we shall see :unsure:  

Finally got here. Man those “ATM’s” are rapey at the airport.... GB Bank Of America’s arrangement with Deutche Bank for no fees.

Naturally card was declined for suspicious activity despite me calling BOA to put a travel advisory on. Then they want to text me to verify. Uh, no... that phone doesn’t have international coverage.. hit my work phone up. No? Okay. Finally was allowed access to my money by naming every previous address and slicing my hand open for a blood sacrifice into the card slot. First of many quirks for n00b like me I’m sure. :lol:  

WORST NEWS OF THE DAY: Germany can’t sell beer before noon?

WTF? So now I’m drinking a coffee planning my morning (because I can’t get into my room till 12 or 2). WTF does one do to kill time other than drink? :lol:

Off to wander Sachsenhausen and pick up a Doner Kebab at Koylü-Doner I suppose. 

Another fun thing to note, my GPS accuracy is astonishing... it has me 2 streets over and has a “margin of error” circle that covers all of downtown area :lol:  

Yay Frankfurt so far! 

Onward and upward! 

Finally got here. Man those “ATM’s” are rapey at the airport.... GB Bank Of America’s arrangement with Deutche Bank for no fees.

Naturally card was declined for suspicious activity despite me calling BOA to put a travel advisory on. Then they want to text me to verify. Uh, no... that phone doesn’t have international coverage.. hit my work phone up. No? Okay. Finally was allowed access to my money by naming every previous address and slicing my hand open for a blood sacrifice into the card slot. First of many quirks for n00b like me I’m sure. :lol:  

WTF? So now I’m drinking a coffee planning my morning (because I can’t get into my room till 12 or 2). WTF does one do to kill time other than drink? :lol:

Another fun thing to note, my GPS accuracy is astonishing... it has me 2 streets over and has a “margin of error” circle that covers all of downtown area :lol:  

Yay Frankfurt so far! 

Onward and upward! 
Wow Germany is one of the last places in the world where I would think you couldn’t get a beer before noon.  I just figured it was the normal beverage with breakfast over there.

Wow Germany is one of the last places in the world where I would think you couldn’t get a beer before noon.  I just figured it was the normal beverage with breakfast over there.
RIGHT?!

It made it ALMOST tolerable that she was an absolute smokeshow and gave me really good free coffee. 

Sounds good. I’m looking into trains between Frankfurt and Mainz near the stadium but google/Apple maps isn’t much help and the city rail map I downloaded isn’t either.

Wish there was a good regional sBahn app that was easy to use. 
Best site by far for train travel in Europe:

www.seat61.com

You could go old school and find a "tourist point" kiosk (usually have a big "i" sign above) and ask for paper maps. They usually have train maps. Also, they can give lots of good advice on all sorts of stuff.

Also Frankfurt is boring. Cologne and Berlin are my favorite German cities. I'd like to explore the former east Germany more, but the only chance I had to do that I opted to head straight into the Czech Republic. No ragrets.

GLLLLLLLLLL peas

This is either a local thing or maybe a special occasion of some sort, or something new.  I worked a 3rd shift in Bavaria for about 6 months and we went for beers every day at 6:00 a.m.  That was just a normal cafe/breakfast spot, not even a bar, and we never got a second look from anyone.  When I was a university student there (many many years ago) in Bonn, I'm sure morning beers were a regular thing for us.

[icon] said:

A protip is to get foreign currency from a BofA branch before you travel.  They should have the major currencies in the branch and can order rarer ones like CZK or TWD in just a couple of days and you can return what you do not use.

[icon] said:

Yay Frankfurt so far! 

Onward and upward! 
I use map.me , I find it better then google maps for walking cities
download the map to use offline

Users who are viewing this thread